Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Midlands Minnie

Gonzo wrote: »
    the first morning of the year where I turn on the tap water and its absolutely freezing cold.

I noticed that as well! And the car iced up.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

Gonzo wrote:
    the first morning of the year where I turn on the tap water and its absolutely freezing cold.

Me too. Our heat doesn't work too good downstairs and it's absolutely bitter have the electric fire on and it's not makin much of a difference tbh. Bring it on!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I hate when it's cold like this and no snow :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

sryanbruen wrote: »

Jaysus, it's going to be a long winter for you! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

It's too cold to snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Cold? What cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It's the middle of autumn and was 15 degrees here today. Whats the snow and winter talk all about? :confused:

Pat Dunne wrote:
    Cold? What cold?

It's the middle of autumn and was 15 degrees here today. Whats the snow and winter talk all about?

It's freezing out :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Xenji wrote: »

Exact same story in the Irish Independent..apparently based on a bird from Siberia arriving in England :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote:
    I hate when it's cold like this and no snow

me too, I feel your pain :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Exact same story in the Irish Independent..apparently based on a bird from Siberia arriving in England :rolleyes:

Is she cute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Even the Germans struggle driving on snow when they are not ready for it :D

Mycroft H wrote: »
    It's too cold to snow.

Sorry but your quote absolutely makes no sense :confused: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I think the tongue was firmly buried into the cheek when the quote was made..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

HighLine wrote: »
    Even the Germans struggle driving on snow when they are not ready for it :D

I definitely prefer looking at it than driving in it, reminds me of my years up in Annamoe in Wicklow!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭flutered

its an old country saying, it usually get a bit milder before it snows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

flutered wrote: »
    its an old country saying, it usually get a bit milder before it snows

took me years to understand that one. When I was younger my grandmother who sometimes lived with us (she moved around 3 different houses every so often) used to say that. Only really understood it completely a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Cold air is drier and therefore holds less moisture, so less likely to snow if it's "too cold".

Cold air is drier and therefore holds less moisture, so less likely to snow if it's "too cold".

But it's not even too cold to snow. It is too mild for snow. The highest maximum temperature I ever got while having snow falling was 7.4c on October 27th 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

My nanny used to say "it's too cold for snow" and it pissed me off when I was a kid because I loved snow and that saying didn't make sense, but now that I'm older and understand our climate better, I know what she means.

Ireland usually gets its coldest days of the year when there's a high pressure over us and the skies are clear. We obviously need clouds for snow, but clouds insulate the earth, thus trapping heat on the ground and the seas around Ireland act like a radiator keeping us milder than other regions at our latitude.

Most of our snow falls in the form of snow showers that are whipped up by cold winds blowing over our unusually warm seas. Frontal snow rarely happens in Ireland because the temperature is just above freezing point, or the weather front is followed by milder air, as they flow in from the Atlantic Ocean.

In contrast, over in on American east coat, low pressure systems running up the coast drag down cold air from Canada, then a frontal system moves in from the Atlantic and clashes with the cold air, but the winds usually continue to blow from a northerly direction, so the frontal snow is proceeded by cold air.

guttl.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

The IOM shadow is BACK!!!

http://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

* Que Calibos' meme * lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭Calibos

Iancar29 wrote: »
    The IOM shadow is BACK!!!

http://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

* Que Calibos' meme * lol

Yeah, but I've only got 'middle finger' IOM meme and an 'Angry Face' IOM meme. In this case at this time of year I'd actually want a 'Come to Papa'/'Come Hither' IOM shadow meme. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

This is a preliminary version of my winter outlook. I will update it some time around the middle of November. If you happen to find something similar on Net-weather, be aware that I have edited that forecast to be more specific to Ireland here. I worked on that forecast with another Net-weather member, and here in Ireland I sought some input from other members of Irish Weather Online, and I did a review of other credible forecasts that have been made available so far. This is basically my own work, however, not looking to share any blame too widely. ;)

First of all, I expect November to be variable and average near normal for temperatures and precipitation. Expect a wide variety of weather types and one or two rather windy days but also a lot of anticylonic weather.

December and some part of January (at least the first half) will probably be mild more often than cold, but with spells of anticyclonic weather bringing quiet perhaps foggy conditions, and somewhat colder temperatures interspersed with milder southwesterly flows and possibly one or two stormy periods. If these storms develop, they would likely be followed by several days of northerly flow, local hill snow and gradually moderating temperatures. During this part of the winter, there may be considerable snowfall in higher parts of the northwest, if not in other parts of the country. There will be mild enough temperatures at times to melt lying snow so it won't likely be prolonged.

Later in January and for some part of February, more significant blocking appears likely, and I think there may be a spell of significant and perhaps extreme cold developing over nearby western Europe and possibly Britain as well. The delivery of cold to Ireland is always an issue, but at this early stage I would expect occasional freezing temperatures and some snow for parts of the east if not more widely distributed. This colder pattern is not likely to reverse itself quickly and it may just fade out through March.

I will revisit this forecast in November and give a final version with some of the reasoning added. At this point, would just say that the El Nino will not overwhelm the closer and therefore more significant cold Atlantic signal. However, I don't think that it will completely fail to interact with the Atlantic and European patterns, which is the main reason for thinking there could be perhaps one or even two significant windstorms as there were in Dec 1997.

Watch for an update in mid-November, at which time I will try to give a more comprehensive reasoning for the final forecast selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Knowing our luck and the form horse for our winter's, we'll get the cold in march and it will carry on into april...
    That and while I do believe there's something to MT's methods, theres usually a lag somewhere that will probably tie it closer to the form horse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Mm and I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Just a reminder of an article I posted up here last week about just how silly long range "forecasting" is. More fuel for the rags to print.

http://clareherald.com/2015/10/is-ireland-heading-for-a-record-breaking-cold-winter-perhaps-not-9453/

It's going to be a normal Irish Winter, damp, cloudy mainly mild, windy at times with the odd cold spell with a chance of a Cm of snow.

Let's see if I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Fun fact: On this day in 2011 snow started falling on Mt Errigal.

• Advertisement

Fun fact: On this day in 2011 snow started falling on Mt Errigal.

Yep this is a very true fact everybody!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement