Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options
1105106107108109111»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Really depends on where you live. If you live in the East there has been very little snow of note in the last five years. Snow has been relatively more frequent further west you go; there's been plenty of snowy incursions into the western half of the country over the years. Even places unlikely to see any snow at all during winter, like Cork, have had a number of snowy days since 2010 (very hefty one back in January of 2015 as well). Much of Leinster, on the other hand, hasn't even had a dusting.

The reason eastern parts of the country have done so poorly is probably because easterlies and north-easterlies have been totally absent since 2010 (with the exception of the very weak one in 2013). All the snow, by and large, has been generated off of a polar maritime/northerly toppler airflow. The fact that places like London and much of Southern England, for instance, haven't seen any noteworthy snow since February 2012 tells the same story; no easterlies. They seem to be incapable of forming during winter these days (although, typically I suppose, they're very common during summer months).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Really depends on where you live. If you live in the East there has been very little snow of note in the last five years. Snow has been relatively more frequent further west you go; there's been plenty of snowy incursions into the western half of the country over the years. Even places unlikely to see any snow at all during winter, like Cork, have had a number of snowy days since 2010 (very hefty one back in January of 2015 as well). Much of Leinster, on the other hand, hasn't even had a dusting.

The reason eastern parts of the country have done so poorly is probably because easterlies and north-easterlies have been totally absent since 2010 (with the exception of the very weak one in 2013). All the snow, by and large, has been generated off of a polar maritime/northerly toppler airflow. The fact that places like London and much of Southern England, for instance, haven't seen any noteworthy snow since February 2012 tells the same story; no easterlies. They seem to be incapable of forming during winter these days (although, typically I suppose, they're very common during summer months).

Yep, we've paid for our relatively good summer with a relatively snowless Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yep, we've paid for our relatively good summer with a relatively snowless Winter.

Were you out of the country last summer? 2015 was horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Carnacalla wrote: »

Well 2015 was horrible but I do recall some grand days (June 9th / 10th / 23rd / 30th, July 3rd, August 12th and 18th). I have to be grateful for these at least :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Lying snow here in South Sligo 70m asl -/ someone tell me it will be gone by morning - I'm a snow lover but I'm hopeful for dry weather and spring now!

Edit to add; just saw the other thread I'll take winter in spring there ;)

• Advertisement

Not on the East coast...jeez don't let's start that all over again :(

Not on the East coast...jeez don't let's start that all over again :(

In a very localised area of the East. I spent a lot of the summer in the south east (Waterford) and it was shi*e there too. Don't speak for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

In a very localised area of the East. I spent a lot of the summer in the south east (Waterford) and it was shi*e there too. Don't speak for the country.

Yeah last summer was dreadful but I do remember a certain poster on here constantly updating us on how great the weather was in the "Costa del Bray", Bray apparently having a sub-tropical microclimate whilst in the rest of the country it was damp and overcast. :D

For some people it was great I suppose. :P

I wasn't if you read the post carefully before reacting :rolleyes:

(Relatively good for maybe a third of the population)

I wasn't if you read the post carefully before reacting :rolleyes: (Just for maybe a third of the population)

Again, localised to your little spot below Dublin.

Anyway, this isn't achieving anything. We've been through this 1000 times before and nothings been achieved.

For the record, the statement about the west getting better winters is only somewhat correct. We've had desperately bad winters here in West Clare, and this year I have not even recorded snowfall.

• Advertisement

Again, localised to your little spot below Dublin.

All three Dublin stations more or less the same and certainly south as far as Arklow.

That would be about a third of the population.

I don't really want to recycle the same argument we had last summer and resort to posting stats in the "winter weather" thread - so maybe stop making emotive statements that contradict the meteorological data (aka the facts) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Yeah last summer was dreadful but I do remember a certain poster on here constantly updating us on how great the weather was in the "Costa del Bray", Bray apparently having a sub-tropical microclimate whilst in the rest of the country it was damp and overcast. :D

For some people it was great I suppose. :P

That was me but that was in 2014. Back then it was in response to the Great Summer 2013/Crap Dull Summer 2014 posts. I was simply pointing out that for the extreme east coast 2014 was nearly a 2013 beater. The mountains and Off shore breezes, maritime air or whatever, tag teamed and seemed to hold back the incessant convective clouding over that occured nearly every day that Summer for the rest of the country except for a 20mile deep strip along the east coast from Dublin Southwards.

No arguement from me with regard to 2015 however. Pretty sure I recall it was a crappy one even in the Costa Del bray and Playa Del Arklow. :D

Calibos wrote: »
    That was me but that was in 2014. Back then it was in response to the Great Summer 2013/Crap Dull Summer 2014 posts. I was simply pointing out that for the extreme east coast 2014 was nearly a 2013 beater. The mountains and Off shore breezes, maritime air or whatever, tag teamed and seemed to hold back the incessant convective clouding over that occured nearly every day that Summer for the rest of the country except for a 20mile deep strip along the east coast from Dublin Southwards.

No arguement from me with regard to 2015 however. Pretty sure I recall it was a crappy one even in the Costa Del bray and Playa Del Arklow. :D

2014 would have bet 2013 if it weren't for the absolutely crap August here at Grange. How are we even talking 'bout Summer weather in a Winter weather thread :pac::o:confused:

That was me but that was in 2014.

Nope - it was WheatenBriar and Supercell and it was 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Dude, I have the copyright on Costa Del Bray. It was me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

It wasnt me.

I live in Sligo where its been wet or windy or both since 2006 bar about 100 days

pauldry wrote: »
    It wasnt me.

I live in Sligo where its been wet or windy or both since 2006 bar about 100 days

2010 was an odd one out...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

sryanbruen wrote: »
    2010 was an odd one out...

Oh yeah

Seriously though since Nov 28th theres definitely been less than 10 dry or calm days in Sligo or even less periods of 24 hours without rain

Seems like weather is completely broke with Atlantic energy getting more powerful each year

Looking at Climate reanalyzer temperature anomolly el nino seems to be gone. Is it?

pauldry wrote: »
    Oh yeah

Seriously though since Nov 28th theres definitely been less than 10 dry or calm days in Sligo or even less periods of 24 hours without rain

Seems like weather is completely broke with Atlantic energy getting more powerful each year

Looking at Climate reanalyzer temperature anomolly el nino seems to be gone. Is it?

In 2010, I did not record rainfall (counting snowfall as rainfall too) in any of the following periods (2 or more days it has to be, not 1 dry day)

Jan 7th-10th
    Jan 17th/18th
    Jan 22nd-27th
    Feb 5th-11th
    Feb 16th-18th
    Feb 27th-Mar 11th
    Mar 13th-17th
    Apr 7th-24th
    May 2nd-4th
    May 6th-11th
    May 14th-17th
    May 20th-28th
    June 1st-5th
    June 10th-12th
    June 14th-27th
    June 29th/30th
    July 25th-27th
    August 2nd/3rd
    August 5th-10th
    August 12th-15th
    August 21st/22nd
    August 25th-Sep 3rd
    Sep 7th/8th
    Sep 14th-17th
    Sep 20th/21st
    Sep 24th-27th
    Sep 29th-Oct 1st
    Oct 3rd-21st (WOW!)
    Nov 14th-16th
    Nov 18th/19th
    Nov 23rd-26th
    Dec 3rd-6th
    Dec 8th-15th
    Dec 28th-31st

^ 2010 was an awesome year for dry periods. See how many long ones I recorded. 2010 was also the calmest year on record (wind wise) - compare that to 2015 :rolleyes:. If only we could see a repeat of 2010, very sunny, dry and cold - the perfect year. Let's not see a Winter like 2015/16 ever again!

I wasn't specifically talking about anywhere called the "Costa Del Bray"

Supercell (Loughlinstown) posted throughout Summer 2015 - and he got better results than I did a few miles up the hill.

Ditto Wheaten (Arklow).

Dublin reports on here and at the three Dub met stations very similar to mine.

We are way off topic however I will correct error wherever I encounter it :)

It was cooler, but drier and sunnier than normal "normal". A slightly better than average Summer when the country away from Dublin and the East coast had one of their worst Summers.

Please don't force me to re-hash the stats on Summer 2015 in a "worst winters" thread ;)

The original point I was making which generated a facetious "you must have been out of the country" reaction was that the westerlies which gave us the relatively good Summer are also responsible for our relatively snow-less winters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

even here in Meath Summer 2015 wasnt all that bad, plenty of warm sunny days especially in June and some very nice days stretching into September as well. The horror show didnt get started here till the last week of November.

Gonzo wrote: »
    even here in Meath Summer 2015 wasnt all that bad, plenty of warm sunny days especially in June and some very nice days stretching into September as well. The horror show didnt get started here till the last week of November.

The only real badness overall in Summer 2015 was July (4th onwards) and the second half of August. The rest of the Summer wasn't half bad at all - though not particularly warm. Do you not mean from November 5th onwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

more snow for dublin?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The only real badness overall in Summer 2015 was July (4th onwards) and the second half of August. The rest of the Summer wasn't half bad at all - though not particularly warm. Do you not mean from November 5th onwards?

maybe it was early November onwards, there was so much wind and rain for months it's hard to pinpoint off the top of my head when it all started but overall the year was dry untill we got to November.

maybe it was early November onwards, there was so much wind and rain for months it's hard to pinpoint off the top of my head when it all started but overall the year was dry untill we got to November.

Well May and July were absolutely terrible like November and December. It was November 5th by the way it started.

I think we are well and truly done with Winter now, thoughts of Spring and hopefully a warm spanish plume thundery summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I think we are well and truly done with Winter now, thoughts of Spring and hopefully a warm spanish plume thundery summer!

And on that note I think it's time to say goodbye to the Winter 2015/16 thread.
    Thanks to all who contributed :)

Discussion continues in the Spring 2016 thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement