Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Lovely benign relatively calm not cold morning here in south Tipp. First morning heard bird song and brightness evident early.

Yeah I woke about 5 and heard my first early morning birdsong, though it was a solo rather than a chorus, went off searching for this as I remembered it from last year instead of going back to sleep.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/mooney/generic/2015/0421/695718-dawn-chorus-2015/

Lovely morning in Limerick City too! Some cloud but very calm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

shows how desperate we are if a cold dry day is something to get excited about

a cold dry day is about as interesting as a mild wet day to me anyway

Dunno. The former has a certain rarity value.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Fine day, nice and sunny, calm. Not bitter cold either. Looking forward to a frost and maybe even some fog in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Met eireann and yr are now showing up showers some heavy for this afternoon
    A dry week ? I'd be delighted if we get through 24 hours dry

km79 wrote: »

Localised enough by the looks of it. Ah what's in a 5 minute shower anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Nice cover of old snow on lugnaquilla still today

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Their forecast is a generalisation for all of the UK,much of England and Wales can be bone dry in a northeasterly or easterly and definitely in a northerly
    But coastal showers could be widespread in a col of low enough pressure with such cold uppers

Interesting, if the trend continues

I don't even focus on what they actually say. I just look at the map and look at Ireland - cause you can clearly see it despite they say nothing 'bout it (except on occasions such as Mar 1st 2015 when Peter Gibbs said "it's snowing right now in Dublin where the match... etc". It looks like continuing to me according to the jetstream. Today is a great example! VERY SUNNY - something that has been absent during most of this Winter - though definitely not in January here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Looks like one of those tricky LP systems could arrive on Friday/Saturday with Ireland trapped between cold air both to the east and west. Heavy rain possibly turning to sleet over low ground but way too early to assess at this stage. The low pressure should then exit leaving us in a cold NE flow with some wintry showers (uppers look mediocre at this stage so accumulating snow unlikely at lower levels). Nothing exciting but will be looking at the models in the next few days.

Would someone be so kind as to look up the February 1991 synoptics, specifically from about feb 14th to 21st,(I'm looking at you oneric)
    The 14th was a monday iirc with the easterly in place and snow flurries in Arklow
    By midweek,there were widespread snow showers in the east
    My own area got plastered on the friday and Saturday with at least 6 inches settled by the 21st thanks to a northeasterly by then and a snow streamer train that was as wide as to stretch from the Beehive pub on the N11 to camolin south of Gorey
    There were Ice days here during that

That air originated in a bitter Russia. Now I don't see a repeat of that happening in stages.
    My point is though,its not too late,you never know?

Would someone be so kind as to look up the February 1991 synoptics, specifically from about feb 14th to 21st,(I'm looking at you oneric)
    The 14th was a monday iirc with the easterly in place and snow flurries in Arklow
    My own area got plastered on the friday and Saturday with at least 6 inches settled by the 21st thanks to a northeasterly by then and a snow streamer train that was as wide as to stretch from the Beehive pub on the N11 to camolin south of Gorey

That air originated in a bitter Russia. Now I don't see a repeat of that happening in stages.

Are you sure you aren't getting your dates mixed up? Met Eireann's monthly weather report states that the snowiest period was around the 8/9th of February.

9th Feb:
    "An East to North East flow backed Northerly. Snow showers in Leinster became very heavy in the extreme East in the evening."

Slack NE flow on the 9th, beautiful chart:

Rcfsr_1_1991020912.png

• Advertisement

Just had a heavy shower

patneve2 wrote: »
    Are you sure you aren't getting your dates mixed up? Met Eireann's monthly weather report states that the snowiest period was around the 8/9th of February.

9th Feb:
    "An East to North East flow backed Northerly. Snow showers in Leinster became very heavy in the extreme East in the evening."

Yeah plus the 14th was a Thursday...? unless he meant the 4th which was a Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I was in Wales at the time. Our village got snowed in and the sea froze. there was a severe frost it was short and sweet.

Looks like one of those tricky LP systems could arrive on Friday/Saturday with Ireland trapped between cold air both to the east and west. Heavy rain possibly turning to sleet over low ground but way too early to assess at this stage. The low pressure should then exit leaving us in a cold NE flow with some wintry showers (uppers look mediocre at this stage so accumulating snow unlikely at lower levels). Nothing exciting but will be looking at the models in the next few days.

The low pressure looks like heading down to Spain because of the jetstream as soon as it hits the west... though not even near heavy rain..

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The low pressure looks like heading down to Spain because of the jetstream as soon as it hits the west... though not even near heavy rain..

Just commented on the GFS 12z run which would bring a washout to the west on Fri/Saturday. These small low pressures can dump a lot of rain. Wouldn't worry about it as the charts will change and in any case the east would probably escape the heavy precipitation.

Rtavn1021.gif

Well I'm not expecting any rainfall for at least a week

9th Feb:

Rcfsr_1_1991020912.png

Definitely not getting my dates mixed up as I was in Cork for valentines weekend , and the snow started on the Monday I got home

Can we like not quote charts?
    You should try load the same chart 3 times over on my 0.2mbps internet!

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Can we like not quote charts?
    You should try load the same chart 3 times over on my 0.2mbps internet!

There I removed mine

sryanbruen wrote: »
    There I removed mine

Thanks very much:D

To clarify, I meant my comment in a friendly way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I dont like winter, can anyone tell me when it will be warm again
    I MISS THE HEAT :(

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

Sometime in Summer :P

Definitely not getting my dates mixed up as I was in Cork for valentines weekend , and the snow started on the Monday I got home

Odd as the monthly bulletin (as well as the reanalysis charts) states that the cold period was from the start of the month to around mid month. There were further frosts and some wintry showers further on in the month but nothing of note. Daily data from tutiempo further backs this up. Pity I wasn't born yet :(

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-1991-Feb.pdf

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

According to M.T. and my predictions, May... bro. And even then, the Summer could be another cool one like 2015 - unlikely according to our predictions also as it is likely to be one of the better Summers (comparable to 1984 or 2013).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I see some people over on Netweather are expecting March 2013 again.:pac: They don't seem to realise that below average temperatures, does not equate to ice days, it simply means below the daily average for the time of year. It all looks very marginal for snow to fall at sea level in the next 10 days. Still there will be a lot of dry weather to enjoy this week for those who have been feeling down of late.

Odd as the monthly bulletin (as well as the reanalysis charts) states that the cold period was from the start of the month to around mid month. There were further frosts and some wintry showers further on in the month but nothing of note. Daily data from tutiempo further backs this up. Pity I wasn't born yet :(

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-1991-Feb.pdf
    I'm sticking by my memory Anyhow!
    This upcoming period is fast becoming whats been all winter though despite the ukmo monthly wording and Ians tweet...A whole load of nothingness, no snow but at least a restbite from what we had

I'm sticking by my memory Anyhow!
    This upcoming period is fast becoming whats been all winter though despite the ukmo monthly wording and Ians tweet...A whole load of nothingness, no snow but at least a restbite from what we had

Agreed. Tired of cold spell chasing and in need of Spring warmth. I definitely need to lower my expectations from now on, after all decent snowy periods are rare here.

Friday looks wet for the west now
    Great

Friday looks wet for the west now
    Great

Enjoy the week would you!

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Enjoy the week would you!