Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Imagine that tomorrow bringing more rain. Who'd have thought it? Looking colder and thankfully drier into mid week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Imagine that tomorrow bringing more rain. Who'd have thought it? Looking colder and thankfully drier into mid week.

Yeh, my weather app is showing 3 consecutive days with sun or partial sun for the first time in what feels like two or three millennia.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,190 ✭✭✭✭km79

Yeh, my weather app is showing 3 consecutive days with sun or partial sun for the first time in what feels like two or three millennia.

and then there is next Saturday which looks at this point like an absolute washout /snowfest
    either way
    WET :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

"Plus ca change, plus ca rest la meme..." (sorry ; no accents on my ancient laptop).. Rain, wind, but warmer... had to take one cover off the bed last night. Was up in the night then slept again.. And then it snowed! I was at at the door in the dark and inches of snow! Wanted to tell you all but boards was down.. Then I woke up! Bad case of cabin fever here! South Kerry 400 asl

• Registered Users Posts: 10,109 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A very blustery morning here in castlebar, certainly windier that expected. Dull and overcast also with rain /drizzle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Miserable morning out there,thon pissy rain that gets you every angle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Bright with some sunshine in Arklow but windy and very warm,touching 13.8c
    Only trace rainfall in the last 24hrs

My screen grabs a few days ago of Wednesdays weather look like not happening as dramatic with the really colder weather pushed out to next weekend
    Given the trend this year of cold always being a week away in the models and then never happening, Im tending to think this one wont either away from high ground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭esposito

Given the trend this year of cold always being a week away in the models and then never happening,

Very frustrating alright. Maybe just maybe this time the charts for next weekend might verify. This period will certainly be our best opportunity for snow at lower levels in the east. At least it's late February/early March and not mid to late March:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,546 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Colder than normal Winter months since January 2000 at Grange with deviations of average temperature

Feb 2015: 2.8c (-1.2c)
    Jan 2015: 3.2c (-0.8c)
    Feb 2013: 2.7c (-1.3c)
    Jan 2013: 3.8c (-0.2c)
    Dec 2012: 3.9c (-0.2c)
    Jan 2011: 2.4c (-1.6c)
    Dec 2010: -2.2c (-6.3c)
    Feb 2010: 1.3c (-2.7c)
    Jan 2010: 0.1c (-3.9c)
    Dec 2009: 1.2c (-2.9c)
    Jan 2009: 3.5c (-0.5c)
    Dec 2008: 1.4c (-2.7c)
    Dec 2001: 3.5c (-0.5c)
    Jan 2001: 3.6c (-0.4c)

^ It's very interesting how I didn't have a colder than normal Winter month between Dec 2001 - 2008.

So I had a total of only 5 Winter months in the 2000s with below average temperature compared to 9 Winter months in the 2010s so far with below average temperature and the 2010s still has 3 years to go. After reading this now I feel so greedy for asking for a cold Winter with snowfall like 2010. We are owed for mild Winters though.

This Winter will definitely not be making the list :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Loved that forecast there on RTE, looking like a cold dry and sunny week ahead.

14.5c in Arklow, very windy but a warm wind,the sun pops out for 5 or 10 mins at a time helping lift those temps
    No rain so far

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

14.5c in Arklow, very windy but a warm wind,the sun pops out for 5 or 10 mins at a time helping lift those temps
    No rain so far

Very similar here in Waterford with a Max Temp of 14c. Breeze ruining it a bit though gusting to 50km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,148 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

11.7c here in West Clare with a horrible mist and strong wind.

Taste of Summer in the South East/East?

Loved that forecast there on RTE, looking like a cold dry and sunny week ahead.

Is that actually true?

HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Is that actually true?

HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH!!!

Thats what was said, but i guess we'll have to wait for the stats from there in grange next sunday to see if it happened ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Carnacalla wrote: »

Not on high ground, got to max 11.4C.
    In Kilkenny city 13.7C.

Yep I can't believe it! After all this long period of wet weather from late October onwards, we are going to get a dry week of Winter sunshine and fairly cold - something very absent to this Winter! It kind of annoys me though that it is happening just before March but it is still worthwhile! Well that's a relief.... I thought I was going to go crazy with all this Winter's cyclones.

Even though rain looks to be around Friday / Saturday (as it has done for every one of them this February), it looks very small and won't affect my area! It is just unbelievable... it is too good to be true:

Monday - sunny spells, 7c
    Tuesday - very sunny, 6c
    Wednesday - sunny spells, 6c
    Thursday - sunny spells, 6c
    Friday - sunny spells, 6c
    Saturday - sunny spells, 6c
    Sunday - sunny spells, 7c

Can I actually get a fully dry week for the first time this Winter? (the end of Winter... :pac:)

Carnacalla wrote: »

No. Dull drizzling windy. Mild about 14. Actually not to far from summer conditions now that you mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,729 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well kudos to the UKMO Seasonal Team assessment, if this all pans out, i recall a wheatenbriar post from a month ago in which they notified contingency planners in the UK that there would be a cold end to Winter 2016 that would last into the first week or two of March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,360 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Gorgeous day here, wall to wall sunshine but some drizzle now after dark, the Wicklow mountains did a job on the cloud at least during daylight hours. Max of 14.3C, couldn't ask for more at this time of year.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Gorgeous day here, wall to wall sunshine but some drizzle now after dark, the Wicklow mountains did a job on the cloud at least during daylight hours. Max of 14.3C, couldn't ask for more at this time of year.

It was just drizzle all day with cumulus clouds here (not very thick though! as there was a bit of hazy sunshine in there at times)

Supercell wrote: »

Aye same here down in Arklow

The BBC say that even heading into March, we could be in for a long cold, dry and sunny spell!!! I actually feel like crying :( 'cause this is too good to be true after this long, wet and mild Winter. The jet stream is stretching from Greenland down to Spain and we're on the cold side of the jet plus since the jet is there, the low on Friday is expected to go down towards Spain and France leaving us in sunny, dry and very cold air! I am jumping with joy right now :pac:. It'd be so hilarious if it weren't like that at all that it actually was too good to be true and we got further rain and mild conditions.

Goodbye rain of today and don't come back 'til Autumn or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

shows how desperate we are if a cold dry day is something to get excited about

a cold dry day is about as interesting as a mild wet day to me anyway

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The BBC say that even heading into March, we could be in for a long cold, dry and sunny spell!!! I actually feel like crying :( 'cause this is too good to be true after this long, wet and mild Winter. The jet stream is stretching from Greenland down to Spain and we're on the cold side of the jet plus since the jet is there, the low on Friday is expected to go down towards Spain and France leaving us in sunny, dry and very cold air! I am jumping with joy right now :pac:. It'd be so hilarious if it weren't like that at all that it actually was too good to be true and we got further rain and mild conditions.

Goodbye rain of today and don't come back 'til Autumn or something.

Their forecast is a generalisation for all of the UK,much of England and Wales can be bone dry in a northeasterly or easterly and definitely in a northerly
    But coastal showers could be widespread in a col of low enough pressure with such cold uppers

Interesting, if the trend continues

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

With the spring sun now strong enough to spark inland convection there may be quite widespread light wintry flurries this week, notably on Wednesday with a little bit of instability around. Expect sun-snow flurries!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Temperatures dropping sharply now across central and northern parts of Ireland. Could be some icy areas where roads untreated in next few hours, but probably not enough of a subzero time for things to get too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Had a light sprinkling of snow overnight and the top of the mountain is white in the moonlight. :)

• Advertisement

Lovely benign relatively calm not cold morning here in south Tipp. First morning heard bird song and brightness evident early.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement