Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Maq come back!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Maq come back!

Yep he was the leader of the FI thread! come back ya mad thing... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

This might get the juices flowing,its the UKMO 12z chart for next Wednesday the 24th at 1pm
    Decidedly FI so not going to verify,low likelihood but I'm leaving it here to compare with what actually does happen
    For the record,it's wintry showers in the east,turning increasingly to sleet and snow with that low negative dewpoint air source

Nsr3M6l.png

Tonights ecm almost a mirror image of that UKMO from yesterday evening for the same time could we be seeing a trend? Could the juices actually start flowing? :D

Again lets leave this screengrab 12z ecm from tonight here to compare to the actual next Wednesday? Softly softly catchy wormy?

FGUtW2E.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭esposito

12 z ECM looks tasty alright!:D

esposito wrote: »
    12 z ECM looks tasty alright!:D

Aye isn't that air to the north of Norway mighty tasty,its the M1 motorway for cold and snow, always was and always will be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

I did see the mountains of Mourne yesterday and yes they were plastered in snow.
    Tis truly Atlantic mush worn I be and looking for white gold to throw.
    Stuck in the East, fed up waiting for the freezing cold snowy winter.
    Might have a domino feast tonight and a early morning rainy guilty sprinter !!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If the GFS was showing something similar i would begin to take note, too often the ecm, in particular, has led us up the garden path.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Graces7 wrote: »
    Probably better here. South Kerry mountains 400 asl. My biggest cat ( neutered) loves being outside, rolling in the wet grass, and my male(entire) feral is staggering in for food looking exhausted so spring is clearly on the way..the sap is rising.. the mountains come and go as the clouds pass slowly

Not wishing to be sexist, but you were wise to neuter the female; your boyo will leave the problem with some other lucky cat lover!

Breezy, cloudy, dry here all day; got up to 10.9C.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

It's feeling quite windy tonight! Or maybe I'm just anticipating it now because it's the weekend again?

Sorry edited to say South Dublin (mountainy part)

horsefarm wrote: »
    It's feeling quite windy tonight! Or maybe I'm just anticipating it now because it's the weekend again?

Where are you :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

it is indeed a blustery night across the west/north west, recent gust of 39 knots at Finner, and a yellow marine warning in effect
    STATUS YELLOW

Gale Warning
    Westerly winds will occasionally reach gale force this evening and overnight, on coasts from Erris Head to Bloody Foreland to Fair Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mickyfitzy2

it is indeed a blustery night across the west/north west, recent gust of 39 knots at Finner, and a yellow marine warning in effect
    STATUS YELLOW

Gale Warning
    Westerly winds will occasionally reach gale force this evening and overnight, on coasts from Erris Head to Bloody Foreland to Fair Head.

Gusty in inishowen peninsula for sure recent gust of 98 kph at malin head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

It's always fcuking windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's always fcuking windy.

Tis Ireland shur.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not wishing to be sexist, but you were wise to neuter the female; your boyo will leave the problem with some other lucky cat lover!

Breezy, cloudy, dry here all day; got up to 10.9C.

I have all my rescues " done!;this boy though will need heavy sedation to get him even into a carrier. Tried shutting him into a small area once and he wrecked the place. Also I need him whole as he keeps other ferals away...He is missing again today! So clearly some bad weather on the way! Ambitions to be the Kerry equivalent of the Donegal postman here...This morning here very dark and quiet and the air tastes of water.. YOU know! Family in Newfoundland are snowed in deeply and cut off... as they will be for weeks yet. Feast or famine...

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Tis Ireland shur.

Yep.. The Lorican, ie Breastplate of Saint Patrick, 5th century, speaks of "the whirling wind's tempestuous shocks.."

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

A rotten day.Wild wet and windy. Limerick City.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

A rotten day.Wild wet and windy. Limerick City.

Indeed it is. Hadn't expected such strong winds today. Were they forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

ME:
    On Friday next, rain will approach from the Atlantic but, coming up against very cold air over the country, may turn to sleet and snow in places.
    Unlikely but not impossible, as usual any snow will be confined to high ground.
    Imagine the effect disruptive snowfall would have on the turnout in the General Election!

Nothing much going on here...the wind stopped picking up last night and is now a mere breeze again; it's cloudy and dull with occasional drizzle that almost wets the ground - the low was 7.1C and it's now 9.5C and rising.

The daffodils have burst out in the warmth of the past 36 hours!

• Advertisement

I see some comparisons with 2013 / 14 right here

December 2013: Very wet, mild and dull.
    December 2015: Very wet, mild and dull.

January 2014: Very wet, mild and average sunshine.
    January 2016: Very wet, mild and near average sunshine (as a whole).

February 2014: Extremely wet, mild and sunny.
    February 2016: Wet, mild and average sunshine.

^ We could be in for a repeat of 2014 though it is still very unlikely with the patterns going on in the Atmosphere. If we do, that would be absolutely great. A dry September, a benign Spring and a great Summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

GFS ensembles look relatively cold, there might be a few marginal events in the next 10 days or so.

graphe3_1000_111_34___.gif

sryanbruen wrote: »
    February 2016: Wet, mild and average sunshine.

It is likely to be cooler than normal I'd have thought? And not especially wet? (At least in the East)

It is likely to be cooler than normal I'd have thought? And not especially wet? (At least in the East)

I'm referring to the country as a whole

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

tippman1 wrote: »
    Indeed it is. Hadn't expected such strong winds today. Were they forecast?

I'm not sure if they were forecast but you're right it is surprisingly windy today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Another weekend more crap weather here. Wet dull breezy 10 degrees. Its almost funny at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Kinsale energy gusting 47 knots. Shannon airport 41 knots.

patneve2 wrote: »
    GFS ensembles look relatively cold, there might be a few marginal events in the next 10 days or so.

graphe3_1000_111_34___.gif

A lot of high ground snow there in places people actually live, with most lowgrounders oblivious

Some cold options in this mornings 6Z but its returning Denmark air in a northeasterly and not a North of Norway source
    The fields of Denmark are currently and mostly this winter have been green not white
    So not cold enough
    But I doubt anyone would regard recent output boring,lets see what the 12z's tease us with?

ME:
    Unlikely but not impossible, as usual any snow will be confined to high ground.
    Imagine the effect disruptive snowfall would have on the turnout in the General Election!

Wonderful thought!

• Advertisement

Definitely an indoor day.. opening the door every now and then to see the great white swathes of visible water sweeping across the fields, and no mountains at the back most of the day. An indoor winter day and that is fine.. Not that we have a choice of course ;) Looked out some seeds I bought in sales last back end.. bright flowers and leafy lovelies....Soon...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement