Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Would someone be so kind as to look up the February 1991 synoptics, specifically from about feb 14th to 21st,(I'm looking at you oneric)
    The 14th was a monday iirc with the easterly in place and snow flurries in Arklow
    By midweek,there were widespread snow showers in the east
    My own area got plastered on the friday and Saturday with at least 6 inches settled by the 21st thanks to a northeasterly by then and a snow streamer train that was as wide as to stretch from the Beehive pub on the N11 to camolin south of Gorey
    There were Ice days here during that

That air originated in a bitter Russia. Now I don't see a repeat of that happening in stages.
    My point is though,its not too late,you never know?

You could be thinking of Mon 14th Feb 1994. It snowed that night in a bitter east wind. Ireland had just beaten England on the Sat in Twickenham, rare at the time. Simon Geoghegan try. That cold spell lingered for a bit. It snowed in Dublin on Wed 23rd all day. Sticking in the city centre. I was first year in college.

The 1991 February cold spell started much earlier in the month. Around Wed 6th Feb real cold set in with snow 7th to 10th Feb. I was in 3rd year in secondary and remember heavy snow on our hills on 23rd of that month also. The Kilkenny mean monthly temp was 3.5C. A cold month.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Second severe frost of the year here, even more severe than the first. At around 8pm last night there was a light rain shower and that froze a few hours lighter, so id imagine that would be a problem. Currently -1.7c here in West Clare with everything frozen hard, even things in the sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

nagdefy wrote: »
    You could be thinking of Mon 14th Feb 1994. It snowed that night in a bitter east wind. Ireland had just beaten England on the Sat in Twickenham, rare at the time. Simon Geoghegan try. That cold spell lingered for a bit. It snowed in Dublin on Wed 23rd all day. Sticking in the city centre. I was first year in college.

The 1991 February cold spell started much earlier in the month. Around Wed 6th Feb real cold set in with snow 7th to 10th Feb. I was in 3rd year in secondary and remember heavy snow on our hills on 23rd of that month also. The Kilkenny mean monthly temp was 3.5C. A cold month.

I was reminded last night that the valentines party was actually the weekend before valentines week :O so yes it was around the 6th to the 10th of February 1991 that I am remembering Doh!
    Its the valentines thing that confused me
    The recollection of the 6 inches of snow in Arklow is correct though, just a week earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

For a time it was looking like this shocking winter might go out in style but it could only have ended this way with a toppler! :( .... a final kick in the teeth from the Azores!

gfs-0-138.png?6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

An awful pack of whingers on this thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Don't let the door hit you on the way out so dot dot dot

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Enda?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Set out for my first time away from the house early yesterday in dreadful rain.. then it cleared! OH MY! Spent the day driving round the Dingle peninsula in the most fair weather since the dawn of creation.. OH MY! Sun, and breezy enough to whip the sea into a white frenzy but calm enough to watch porpoises and seals..Picnicked in a small bay watching the drama of high waves , cresting and smashing over cliffs... ...Utter beauty... and the scene from the top of Conor Pass..clarity of the air...when I got home a huge moon smiling.. the first really fine day this winter..and so enjoyed here. Cold but then that is fine too.; there was ice on the water buckets this morning...oh when I went in the morning there was still snow visible atop the Conor, but when I got up there, it had vanished.. South Kerry mountain 400 asl. My usual " unscientific" weather comments... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

As usual, I have to head over the Wicklow gap on Saturday morning with a trailer of sheep and the current forecast is looking very dodgy for that time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

This might get the juices flowing,its the UKMO 12z chart for next Wednesday the 24th at 1pm
    Decidedly FI so not going to verify,low likelihood but I'm leaving it here to compare with what actually does happen
    For the record,it's wintry showers in the east,turning increasingly to sleet and snow with that low negative dewpoint air source

Nsr3M6l.png

Well this I posted five days ago from that days UKMO 12 z for tomorrow
    Suffice to say it wasn't within an ass's roar of what actually will be tomorrow's weather
    This kind of tells you even at 5 days out how ridiculously rubbish the weather models are
    So I'm not banking that azores high screengrab two posts up either
    With all the technology available, we're still guessing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Exactly WB. This is what we have been getting all winter. Pure lies from the models!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I see some people over on Netweather are expecting March 2013 again.:pac: They don't seem to realise that below average temperatures, does not equate to ice days, it simply means below the daily average for the time of year. It all looks very marginal for snow to fall at sea level in the next 10 days. Still there will be a lot of dry weather to enjoy this week for those who have been feeling down of late.

There was another snowy early March a few years before that; maybe 2006? I had to drive from Leitrim to Glencolumcille and it was a nightmare. Got stuck on one hill and got three ladies to push me a while... Ash Wednesday... thick snow and ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

5.5 degrees and a beautiful afternoon in Westport. A hard frost tonight I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Graces7 wrote: »
    There was another snowy early March a few years before that; maybe 2006? I had to drive from Leitrim to Glencolumcille and it was a nightmare. Got stuck on one hill and got three ladies to push me a while... Ash Wednesday... thick snow and ice.

Snowy Marches I remember before 2013 are:

- 2009 (8th it snowed here)

^ I think 2006 is the one you're referring to though. It snowed in some parts of Ireland from the 1st - 5th then it became unsettled with plenty of rainfall throughout the month. Overall, it was awfully dull, wet and cool.

For a time it was looking like this shocking winter might go out in style but it could only have ended this way with a toppler! :( .... a final kick in the teeth from the Azores!

gfs-0-138.png?6

Going exactly as expected!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is a snow risk, especially higher ground on Thursday night and Friday. Some fronts coming up against cold air could spring a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The Azores high coming over us, looks to be a temporary ridge, before we are back in a cold northwesterly airflow again. Unfortunately,if you like cold and snow, the stubborn pv segment over Canada will once again stop any high latitude blocking taking place. I am just going to enjoy the cold and dry days ahead. If we somehow get a decent snow event in the couple of weeks that is just a bonus, but it's not looking likely at the moment.

The Azores high coming over us, looks to be a temporary ridge, before we are back in a cold northwesterly airflow again. Unfortunately,if you like cold and snow, the stubborn pv segment over Canada will once again stop any high latitude blocking taking place. I am just going to enjoy the cold and dry days ahead. If we somehow get a decent snow event in the couple of weeks that is just a bonus, but it's not looking likely at the moment.

I don't want snow now! Don't mind my signature on this :pac:

I'll still take it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,674 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I don't want snow now! Don't mind my signature on this :pac:

A red card for you:( I hope you get snowed in for turning your back on snow:P

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I'll still take it tbh.

Not me... sorry. Winter is just over. Any other season except late November, I don't want snow. The late October 2008 snow for example was very unwelcome and so was Spring 2013.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Meteorological winter runs up to March 1st.....snow is for winter.....let it snow! :pac:

All talk of not having/wanting snow, in February, is daft/plain wrong!!!

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Meteorological winter runs up to March 1st.....snow is for winter.....let it snow! :pac:

All talk of not having/wanting snow, in February, is daft!!!

I'm saying this because we're just about into meteorological Spring i.e. this time next week.

I'm saying this because we're just about into meteorological Spring i.e. this time next week.

About to, not yet!

I'd still take snow in March, or any time of year! Better than rain tbh.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ssssshhh now....the snow does not know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Was there not some loose talk of an "event" for tomorrow? Surely to God dry bright weather is what people need for spring. Id imagine the last thing people want now is cold weather and snow.

Was there not some loose talk of an "event" for tomorrow? Surely to God dry bright weather is what people need for spring. Id imagine the last thing people want now is cold weather and snow.

THANK YOU!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

There will be a few fragmented bands of showers moving south tomorrow, many petering out by the north Midlands, but a few might track further south. These will be wintry in places, with snow on elevation >200m.

Brief wet spell on Monday or Tuesday but then dry again mid-week and still cold throughout!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Good frost here now in Naas, -2c

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement