Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The thermometer has just hit a Siberian -1.6c which just beats my January min of -1.5c and the -1.3c in tropical '15 December .... just shows how pathetic this winter has been!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Hail is very often confused with Graupel.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Morning everyone from South Kerry 400 asl. SOMETHING had been falling for much of the night, in between dazzlingly bright moonlight..Nothing at house level, but looking forward, having read met ie, to the day dawning. Weary weather though. A day of snow beauty would lift folk..MY tiny camera is at your disposal....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭highdef

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Hail is very often confused with Graupel.

I may be wrong but from experience looking at met eireann reports, I believe they refer to graupel as ice pellets. Can anyone confirm if that is indeed the case?
    I'm just trying to clarify for everyone what is hail, what is snow and what is graupel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Graces7 wrote: »
    Morning everyone from South Kerry 400 asl. SOMETHING had been falling for much of the night, in between dazzlingly bright moonlight..Nothing at house level, but looking forward, having read met ie, to the day dawning. Weary weather though. A day of snow beauty would lift folk..MY tiny camera is at your disposal....

I think a bright mild dry few days would lift everyone. Precipitation of any kind is not welcome and the forecast for the weekend is very wearisome.

• Advertisement

WOW! Pretty . pretty and majestic mountains all around me. Snowline lower than yet seen and although a fine dappled covering there are clouds drifting in and the fields are white with frost.. Bitterly, shockingly cold....shivers! South Kerry mountains 400 asl

I think a bright mild dry few days would lift everyone. Precipitation of any kind is not welcome and the forecast for the weekend is very wearisome.

I know.... been a long hard winter..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Lovely morning here in North drogheda. Nice crisp frost. No snow though :( I might have to go the mountains for my fix.
    Sunday into Monday is could produce some snow but mainly gor the north and west.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Pm sent.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Pm sent.

To whom?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

highdef wrote: »
    To whom?

If you did not get a PM...then it was not for you! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

DOCARCH wrote: »
    If you did not get a PM...then it was not for you! :pac:

Whoever got the PM must be chuffed :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Whoever got the PM must be chuffed :rolleyes:

The chosen ones....

• Registered Users Posts: 48,190 ✭✭✭✭km79

It was the daily forecast for me as I cant get into the thread until 3 posts have been madewhen it goes to a new page.
    I then deleted the request to avoid clogging this thread up with OT posts
    That went well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Glorious day in the NE, frost and fog cleared to give a grand sunny day, managed to finish cutting the grass so happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

This might get the juices flowing,its the UKMO 12z chart for next Wednesday the 24th at 1pm
    Decidedly FI so not going to verify,low likelihood but I'm leaving it here to compare with what actually does happen
    For the record,it's wintry showers in the east,turning increasingly to sleet and snow with that low negative dewpoint air source

Nsr3M6l.png

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

378110.jpg

Wheatybuddy !!! Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

This might get the juices flowing,its the UKMO 12z chart for next Wednesday the 24th at 1pm
    Decidedly FI so not going to verify,low likelihood but I'm leaving it here to compare with what actually does happen
    For the record,it's wintry showers in the east,turning increasingly to sleet and snow with that low negative dewpoint air source

Nsr3M6l.png

Why put that up?
    Not having a go, but its not likely at all is it, its FI.
    If it were 48 hours out then yeah, but next wed!? Pointless i think

Pointless i think

Did I say it was pointfull?
    Did you read the post where I said it was unlikely but lets leave it there to see how it compares to the actual weather on feb 24th?
    Has the world ended?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Did I say it was pointfull?
    Did you read the post where I said it was unlikely but lets leave it there to see how it compares to the actual weather on feb 24th?
    Has the world ended?

I read your post fully yes, i also said im not having a go. You clearly beg to differ. Still the question remains unanswered. Why post this? To see what actually happens on 24th feb. That is pointless imo.

• Advertisement

Why post this? To see what actually happens on 24th feb. That is pointless imo.

Only if you don't want to learn anything to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭pauldry

Was reading the arctic sea ice forum website and there seems to be a lot of cold air coming in this direction from the North Pole.

Whether it brings anything other than wintry showers who knows but the arctic is supposed to be warmer than normal for the next 10 days so maybe theyr giving us some of their cold....no doubt it will moderate and just bring 4 to 7c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

pauldry wrote: »
    Was reading the arctic sea ice forum website and there seems to be a lot of cold air coming in this direction from the North Pole.

Whether it brings anything other than wintry showers who knows but the arctic is supposed to be warmer than normal for the next 10 days so maybe theyr giving us some of their cold....no doubt it will moderate and just bring 4 to 7c

Arctic is abnormally warmer than normal by up to 20c.

jjjkkkk.png

New Moon

Dark wet morning out there. Reminds me of the local sayings " In off the bay" and " down for the day.." An indoor day...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Bit breezy and cloudy but mild and dry..... 7.8C.

Nice morning for walking on the empty Luas tracks!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Down in wexford for a few days. Not lovely this morning. Wild gusts of wind and damp. Not exactly raining but windows could do with wipers all the same. Dogs happier to stay inside. The smell of sausage, bacon and eggs probably helps.

Down in wexford for a few days. Not lovely this morning. Wild gusts of wind and damp. Not exactly raining but windows could do with wipers all the same. Dogs happier to stay inside. The smell of sausage, bacon and eggs probably helps.

Probably better here. South Kerry mountains 400 asl. My biggest cat ( neutered) loves being outside, rolling in the wet grass, and my male(entire) feral is staggering in for food looking exhausted so spring is clearly on the way..the sap is rising.. the mountains come and go as the clouds pass slowly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

How many feet above sea level are you Graces7?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭pad199207

This thread has become very poetic recently. Brings me back to my leaving cert english classes.

Its rather nice

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement