Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

CramCycle wrote: »
    This is actually a thing?!? FFS. I would be less offended if they just increased the premiu by 50euro and not included that charge. It's offensive to my intelligence. Insurer: Your premium is only X this year
    Me: Its actually X + 50euro
    Insurer: No it is only X, your getting a great deal
    Me: So I don't have to pay the 50euro
    Insurer: No, but then you won't be insured, but at least your premium is only X and we can advertise X
    Me: https://youtu.be/XNoIU786-W0?t=7s

Same with the AA thought my whole quote was with the AA membership a week later 96 euro charge

39 year old driver with 4 years no claim.Fully comrehensive.
    Audi TT Mk2, 2l petrol
    805 last year, just been asked to fork out 1095 which is about a 26% increase!

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Wife's renewal:
    Car: 2013 1.5dCi Megane
    Licence: Full 5y
    NCD: 5 years
    Cover: Full comprehensive with windscreen, breakdown over and driving other cars
    ME as named driver with 3 points
    Last year 676

Renewal from Post Insurance(aviva) 1021 incl renewal fee of 50(!!!!!!!!!)
    Did few quotes online as I didnt have time to call.I was looking for same level of coverage as renewal.
    BOI :878
    AXA:950
    Allianz 1012
    Liberty:965

Will try few more tomorrow
    Forgot to mension that my wife has FULL BONUS PROTECTION added.Is it worth getting?In the event of claim she will still has to tell next insurer that she made a claim.If im going to remove that I can save around 100€.Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StiffOldMan

Car: 2005 Seat Leon 1.9 150 hp
    Licence: Full Irish since 90's
    NCD: Max
    Cover: Full comprehensive

Last year: €400
    This year: €855

What ... . ... ..The. . ... . .. . F**K

Car: 2011 Renault Fluence
    Licence: Full for 22yrs
    No claims: 9+ years (never had claim)
    Cover: Fully comp with full NCD protection, Windscreen and breakdown cover
    2015 Price: €420
    Company: 123.ie

All quotes include spouse as named driver with no points, full licence 10+ years, full no claims and own insurance and car.

Quotes so far:
    123.ie: €567
    Alliance: €580
    25plus (AIG): €455
    AIG: €560
    Aviva: €577
    Quote Devil (Zurich): €478
    Chill: Between €860 and €1900
    An Post: No online quote, have to call

So, I might be tempted to go with Quote Devil. Still 3 weeks to renew so will make a few calls. Would prefer to go with one of the big name insurers directly if possible. Chill.ie are a disaster, they must not want any business!

In the end I went with Acorn insurance for €470 including full bonus protection, breakdown assist and every conceivable extra.
    It's with Zenith who have said they will be pulling out of the Irish market next year but will still maintain cover for existing policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Car: 2005 Seat Leon 1.9 150 hp
    Licence: Full Irish since 90's
    NCD: Max
    Cover: Full comprehensive

Last year: €400
    This year: €855

What ... . ... ..The. . ... . .. . F**K

I feel your pain - mine went from 375 - 831 and that was as good as I could get.
    t'reg 3.0 so high road tax too - it's getting exported - get a more powerful car in with low co2 save on road tax to soften the insurance blow etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Car: 2011 Renault Fluence
    Licence: Full for 22yrs
    No claims: 9+ years (never had claim)
    Cover: Fully comp with full NCD protection, Windscreen and breakdown cover
    2015 Price: 420
    Company: 123.ie

All quotes include spouse as named driver with no points, full licence 10+ years, full no claims and own insurance and car.

Quotes so far:
    123.ie: 567
    Alliance: 580
    25plus (AIG): 455
    AIG: 560
    Aviva: 577
    Quote Devil (Zurich): 478
    Chill: Between 860 and 1900
    An Post: No online quote, have to call

So, I might be tempted to go with Quote Devil. Still 3 weeks to renew so will make a few calls. Would prefer to go with one of the big name insurers directly if possible. Chill.ie are a disaster, they must not want any business!

In the end I went with Acorn insurance for 470 including full bonus protection, breakdown assist and every conceivable extra.
    It's with Zenith who have said they will be pulling out of the Irish market next year but will still maintain cover for existing policies.

Back away now....zenith doing same crap Setanta done thus means ,they go with ur money overnight and no budget left to settle a claim u may have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

That time of the year again, have been dreading the letter arriving.
    Car: 2007 Ford Focus lx 1.4
    Licence: Full Irish 2yrs
    NCD: 6 years
    Cover: Fully comp, windscreen, breakdown cover, protected no claims, fully comp drive other cars

Last year - 434 with AXA
    Renewal - 496 with AXA , nothing under 800 from any other company. Moving house shortly and new address brings it down to 440

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

Car: 2008 VW Golf Comf, 1.9 TDI
    Licence: Full, 15 years
    NCD: Max (15 years).
    Cover: Full comp, 250 excess, Windscreen cover, breakdown, +1 named driver, fully comp on other cars.

Last year: €575 Cover with Frank Glennon, underwritten by Allianz
    This year: €616.01.

Other quotes:
    Axa basic 821
    Axa plus 878
    AIG 988
    Allianz 638
    SuperValu 780

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Wife's renewal:
    Car: 2013 1.5dCi Megane
    Licence: Full 5y
    NCD: 5 years
    Cover: Full comprehensive with windscreen, breakdown over and driving other cars
    ME as named driver with 3 points
    Last year 676

Renewal from Post Insurance(aviva) 1021 incl renewal fee of 50(!!!!!!!!!)
    Did few quotes online as I didnt have time to call.I was looking for same level of coverage as renewal.
    BOI :878
    AXA:950
    Allianz 1012
    Liberty:965

Will try few more tomorrow

Renewed with Post Insurance(AIG this time) and I did not pay 50€ renewal fee ;):
    Fully comp,widnscreen,bonus protection,1 named driver,250 excess,driving other cars 3rd party and roadside assistance:

680€ .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

My Quote was €1100 with JLT. €500 excess too. Last years was 640. Have full NCB etc. They can F off. Only have a week now to sort out as had a very sick child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

rn wrote: »
    Car: 2008 VW Golf Comf, 1.9 TDI
    Licence: Full, 15 years
    NCD: Max (15 years).
    Cover: Full comp, 250 excess, Windscreen cover, breakdown, +1 named driver, fully comp on other cars.

Last year: €575 Cover with Frank Glennon, underwritten by Allianz
    This year: €616.01.

Other quotes:
    Axa basic 821
    Axa plus 878
    AIG 988
    Allianz 638
    SuperValu 780

Glennon were able to offer me an alternative Allianz policy that had reduced no claims protection. Current policy allows for any 2 claims in 3 years and I keep my full NCD. The alternative policy allows for 1 claim in any 3 years and my NCD would step back. This new policy was priced at 560.

In the end, I kept the same policy and went for the €616.01 quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Years driving: 10
    Car: '07 Honda Civic 1.8 SES
    NCB: 9 years
    Claims: 0
    Cover: Fully comp
    Provider: Chill
    That's the missus, and I'm named driver on provisional for 8 years

Price: Last years premium was €547 with AIG via Chill, Quoted €741 for renewal, haggled them down to €620 with a false competitors bid from First Ireland!
    This year those Chill wánkers are quoting me €900, even though I have passed my driving test.
    I must try the INTO insurance, as herself is a teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Mothers info
    Years Driving:40+
    Car: 05 z4 2.2L
    NCB: max
    Cover : full comp
    Provider: Axa
    Price: 1900 (was 600 two years ago, but currently cheapest at 1900)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Be sure to check An Post discount for penalty points as that 1300 will only be 73% of their true premium.

1780 less 27% = 480

Pick up simple 3 pp for sped, seatbelt or phone and they'll want their back.
    If u 'forgot' to tell them and u have bump then excess has a non-disclosure excesss of 2500 on top of whatever excess you initially go with.

The Axa rate allows 3pp at no loadibg fee for same 3 offences abovec

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Car: 2001 Audi A6 1.8T petrol
    Licence: Full, 20 years
    NCD: 10+ in my own name
    Cover:

1888.84 with Liberty Insurance
    839.63 with Allianz
    996.86 with 123.ie
    No quote available with Aviva
    No quote available with AIG
    No quote available with FBD
    509.06 with Axa

Update from current insurer, Post Insurance through AIG 1064.07 up from 580 last year..

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

Renewal time Holy F***balls

Years driving: 20+
    Car: 05 Mercedes CL 500 5.0 V8
    NCB: full
    Cover: Comprehensive
    Provider: First Ireland
    Price: 1435

It's doubled this year. I haven't paid that kind of money since I was a learner. I tried to get my 26 year old daughter covered on a 2003 700cc smart and was quoted €3450

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Just got a quote for €708 with Glennon. My renewal quote was €1150 with FBD. Car is a 161D Focus. 1.5 Full licence & NCB & no points etc. Other quotes ranged from €890 to €1600

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,181 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Renewal is €650 with Liberty on a 2008 Citreon Berlingo, third party FT. Should I be looking elsewhere or is this the norm now? Seems a bit much to me when it isn't fully comp...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 DemMc

Accident two years ago. €12k claim against me. No NCB protection of any sort (6 years NCB down the drain).

Ringing around everywhere today, quotes from €1,100 to €2k. Most wouldn't insure me at all once they heard about the claim. Axa's turn. Explained the situation. Nice guy. I'll see what I can do.
    Tells me they'll treat the accident as if I was with them. Offer step-back on the 6 years (stepped down to 2yrs + my 2 years since = 4yrs NCB). Thanks!

Are you with a credit union? Well I used to be but... Discount!
    Are there any other Axa members in the house? Eh yeah... Discount!

€900.

Have you a partner to add as a named driver? Should make it cheaper. Yep.

€695

Pleased!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

DemMc wrote: »
    Accident two years ago. €12k claim against me. No NCB protection of any sort (6 years NCB down the drain).

Ringing around everywhere today, quotes from €1,100 to €2k. Most wouldn't insure me at all once they heard about the claim. Axa's turn. Explained the situation. Nice guy. I'll see what I can do.
    Tells me they'll treat the accident as if I was with them. Offer step-back on the 6 years (stepped down to 2yrs + my 2 years since = 4yrs NCB). Thanks!

Are you with a credit union? Well I used to be but... Discount!
    Are there any other Axa members in the house? Eh yeah... Discount!

€900.

Have you a partner to add as a named driver? Should make it cheaper. Yep.

€695

Pleased!

+1 on AXA.

With them now 10 years.

Had a claim in 2009 while with them, they said that if I stay thy won't penalise me with the renewal quote. I was hit by an uninsured driver and got the blame.

Long story short whenever they have been outdone in quotes at renewal time they always undercut to keep me.

My driving career has been brief with insurers at least:

Hibernian 1 year in 2003
    Quinn 2 years, 2004-2006
    AXA 2006 to present

The inconsistencies in quotes show just how much these chancers just make up the numbers, most likely using a random number generator.
    Scumbags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

The inconsistencies in quotes show just how much these chancers just make up the numbers, most likely using a random number generator.
    Scumbags

Yeah because as everybody knows, Insurance is one big cartel. They should all be quoting similar prices for every risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Scumbags

Or maybe every insurer has different acceptance criteria and charge people more that they don't want on their books.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭techdiver

It's a joke at this stage.

It's a legal requirement to have insurance, yet the government allow private enterprise to set prices in a wildly unregulated way. There should be regulation of insurance prices or alternatively a non profit national insurance company.

Or maybe every insurer has different acceptance criteria and charge people more that they don't want on their books.
    I'm talking about inconsistent quotes from the same insurance company for a person with practically identical details

Yeah because as everybody knows, Insurance is one big cartel. They should all be quoting similar prices for every risk
    It's not far off a cartel, the problem is we need to prove it:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/car-insurers-face-cartel-probe-over-price-hikes-420898.html
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0913/816328-motor-insurance/

Well let's keep our powder dry until findings are published then

• Advertisement

I'm talking about inconsistent quotes from the same insurance company for a person with practically identical details

You don't know what subtle differences in circumstances can make to an insurers overall claims experience history

Advertisement