Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Soooo, I got my renewal "invitation" from AA this morning. They "offer" me three options, they're all fairly bad when it comes to characteristics - none includes NCB protection, for a starter and all are TPFT, no comprehensive. I'll list only the cheapest one as it'd make zero sense to go for any of the others.

License: Full EU(Italy), held 18 years;
    Penalty points: 0
    NCB: 4 years (no claims ever made in my life, had no car for a while so Italian NCB expired);
    Mileage: about 6/7k year;
    Vehicle: 2006 Alfa Romeo 159 1.9 JTS - 160Hp
    Renewal Premium: 957.80 Euro (Allianz through AA);

Up from 700 last year, it's an increase of 257.80 Euro; Not the worst, but still very significant; Premium in 2014 was 545.70 Euro. That means close to a 100% increase in two years - all while racking up a "bonus". Way to go.

Gonna run some more quotes but so far, a couple I tried flat out refused to provide me with one...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Update on this.

My renewal quote from 123.ie was €783.37. BOI seemed to offer €714.15, but there was some ambiguity whether they included named experience as regular NCB and they updated the premium to €1206.98 after I sent in the documentation (2 years NCB plus 4 years named letter).

Called 123 back, but they can't renew me as I accepted the BOI policy at their original quote, so I'd be "new business". The new business quote is €1,930 (as compared to €793 renewal).

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Sex: M

Car: 05 Fiesta Zetac, 1.2

NCD: 0 years

Licence: Provo/learners 6 years

Cover: Fully comp,

Highest Quote: €5200 Liberty

Best Quote: €980 Boxy (8k Per year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Trojan wrote: »
    Update on this.

My renewal quote from 123.ie was €783.37. BOI seemed to offer €714.15, but there was some ambiguity whether they included named experience as regular NCB and they updated the premium to €1206.98 after I sent in the documentation (2 years NCB plus 4 years named letter).

Called 123 back, but they can't renew me as I accepted the BOI policy at their original quote, so I'd be "new business". The new business quote is €1,930 (as compared to €793 renewal).

Is your 123 policy lapsed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Update on this.

Fúck, they screw you at every chance they get.

• Advertisement

Is your 123 policy lapsed?

Yep, by 1 day. If BOI called me yesterday it would have been a different story. And I did ask, but it doesn't matter to 123 whether the BOI insurance was cancelled, or nulled and void, in either circumstance the agent's supervisor said they'd be putting me through as new business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Yep, by 1 day. If BOI called me yesterday it would have been a different story. And I did ask, but it doesn't matter to 123 whether the BOI insurance was cancelled, or nulled and void, in either circumstance the agent's supervisor said they'd be putting me through as new business.

They have stats to prove that you are a much riskier driver now. Fact!

They have stats to prove that you are a much riskier driver now. Fact!

I may have a job for the Special Circumstances division...

Balls, that's a PITA.

Can I ask, did you buy the BoI policy online or over the phone?

Balls, that's a PITA.

Can I ask, did you buy the BoI policy online or over the phone?

Online. I called 5 or 6 providers and did another 7 or 8 online quotes.

• Advertisement

Online. I called 5 or 6 providers and did another 7 or 8 online quotes.

Bugger.

You are probably snookered then. I thought maybe if you had gotten a quote over the phone and the agent had entered the details that you may have a come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

My insurance lapsed for 7 hours, was in hospital for 3 days prior to that and the insurance was the least of my worry (wasn't driving). Premium went up by 30% due to the lapse!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/783673044325761024

This isn't going to help our premiums.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »

The only ones that will be happy to see this is the legal system. I've no doubt they are licking their lips. Higher compo claims means bigger fees for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭kenyard

My renewal quote is ~550. (123.ie)
    Iv checked a few online and cheapest has been around 770. (liberty)
    quite a few coming in at 800-900
    AIG was most expensive so far around 1350.

This is all 3rd party.
    I'll wait for some calls over the next 2 weeks and see if someone will do 500

chill has had the best option. they want me to pay less for more cover
    http://imgur.com/a/Pscqq

Car: 03 corolla (2l diesel)

NCD: 6yr

Licence: Full 8+ years, 3 points

Cover: minimum possible

Best quote: 550 (renewal)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 magic123

Me 37y and my wife as a second driver
    Full irish license
    9+ NCB
    mazda 6 2008 1.8
    renewal with 25plus 620 comprehensive

Got quite few similar quotes,best so far 123.ie 560 comprehensive cover

Just trying a few things out to see what a bog-standard car will be like to insure when I need one.
    28yo
    male
    new full licence
    2008 Astra 1.3 diesel

Quotes range from 3600 to 7000. Really not sure what I'm gonna do. Boxymo wouldn't even quote me, not too sure what was so offensive about my details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Just trying a few things out to see what a bog-standard car will be like to insure when I need one.
    28yo
    male
    new full licence
    2008 Astra 1.3 diesel

Quotes range from 3600 to 7000. Really not sure what I'm gonna do. Boxymo wouldn't even quote me, not too sure what was so offensive about my details.

If you have a ncb built up under a provisional licence ring one of them up and go through it in detail. Some of the online systems seem to be funny on that. If you have no ncb start building one as a named driver.

pawrick wrote: »
    If you have a ncb built up under a provisional licence ring one of them up and go through it in detail. Some of the online systems seem to be funny on that. If you have no ncb start building one as a named driver.
    Have no experience yet. 2.5k on a provisional on my dad's car as a named driver. I'm not particularly worried what I'll be driving but I'll need it for a decent motorway commute so don't want a 998cc yoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Have no experience yet. 2.5k on a provisional on my dad's car as a named driver. I'm not particularly worried what I'll be driving but I'll need it for a decent motorway commute so don't want a 998cc yoke.

just hope the cops don't catch you as it's illegal.

• Advertisement

KC161 wrote: »
    just hope the cops don't catch you as it's illegal.
    When I get the full licence. Hence my post above. And unless you think I'll be carrying someone with me to work to then take the car home and bring it back to me it's as illegal whether I was on a motorway or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭aidan_r

Car: 08 Opel Corsa 1.2
    NCD: Full
    Licence: Full 7 years, no points
    Cover: TPFT, protected
    Best quote: €380 - 123.ie

Renewal was 570 with AIG up from 460 last year.

One fun fact I learned this year: My spouse was in a accident a few months back, rear ended while stopped at traffic lights. Other driver admitted fault and claim was settled on their insurance. I reported it when renewing and the quote went up by €60 (Allianz). Unbelievable they would do that considering she was not to blame and there was no claim made on her insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

aidan_r wrote: »

One fun fact I learned this year: My spouse was in a accident a few months back, rear ended while stopped at traffic lights. Other driver admitted fault and claim was settled on their insurance. I reported it when renewing and the quote went up by €60 (Allianz). Unbelievable they would do that considering she was not to blame and there was no claim made on her insurance.

Is that allowed? I'm not sure why you reported it if it was settled and she wasn't at fault. Still though, if you're not to blame then I didn't think it could effect your premium.

daveyjoe wrote: »
    Is that allowed? I'm not sure why you reported it if it was settled and she wasn't at fault. Still though, if you're not to blame then I didn't think it could effect your premium.

While looking for quotes I changed the time I'd had a licence from 0 to 1 year. It went up by 9 quid.

aidan_r wrote: »

I was told here that I had zero credibility and was talking ridiculous nonsense for saying that completely not at fault people were being loaded for making legitimate claims on a third party's insurance.

Apparently I "don't understand insurance" as well as the industry posters on here who tell us that we the public are all thieving crooked scammers and the insurers are the real victims here!

For the love of god do NOT get rear ended through zero fault of your own twice in 5 years... apparently the loading can rise to as much as 50% in the UK if you do.

At least Allianz didnt point blank refuse the cover!
    AIG will NOT quote anyone who has made a claim of any kind in the last 5 years. Legitimate claims REGARDLESS of blame. Regardless of it being through your motor insurance or a third party's.

The industry can do what they like. We are required to buy their product no matter what ridiculous hoops they want us to jump through.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭aidan_r

I reported it because on my renewal it said I have to report any accidents any driver on policy is involved in. Figured I should report it thinking it would make no difference and not reporting it could potentially be a reason for them to not pay out in the future. They are allowed to do it though not all do so shopping around was definitely worthwhile.

Good article about it here, UK but I assume it applies equally here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

37 y.o. Full licence held 16yrs, 8years ncb driving 1998 1.7dsl Bmw.
    Last year paid under €350 fully comp.,
    Renewal quote this year is €760.
    I assume that it's the age of the car that's doing me harm but it was still over 15years old last year and my insurance was less than half the renewal price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

The industry can do what they like. We are required to buy their product no matter what ridiculous hoops they want us to jump through.

Not really true. They can't discriminate based on gender for example (which is stupid, IMO).

• Advertisement

Advertisement