Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Done a bit of shopping round after the quote I was given yesterday .
    Allianz 703€
    An post 907€
    123.ie 880€

Went to a local broker then and was quoted 1150€ !!!! It's gone seriously stupid now how insurance companies can hike prices so much . Especially for people who have no points , long NCBs and low risk, small engines cars . It's only going to get worse aswell over the next few years

Ps my renewal went from 550 to 1150. So over 100% increase for no reason at all .,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

_Brian wrote: »
    Renewal just arrived...
    €1221

So the trend has been,

€440
    €680
    €850
    €1221 (renewal quote)

What a joke..
    Surely I'm low rsk, 44yo male, no convictions, no points, 09 VW tiguan, married 2 kids.. FFS :(

For most of us that is a very big risk :pac::pac::pac:

All joking aside is the Tiguan a 2.0 petrol or diesel model??? they cme in 170 & 200bhp.

The friends husband recently got a quote on one of those for 1500e.

He is 52 and his driving record is spotless. up from 600e on a Citroen C8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭9935452

Rod Munch wrote: »
    He paid for full ncd protection and was rightly not penalised for the claim.

Some people would have you believe that insurers will load you for making any claim.

That is simply not true.

They do .
    Why would they ask you the following questions.
    How many years NCB do you have ?
    Followed by have you made a claim in the last 3 or 5 years .
    Surely the claims in the last few years are irrelevent if you have a NCB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

9935452 wrote: »
    They do .

I don't think my NCB protection would migrate to another insurer. So I guess you would be kinda stuck with your provider in a similar situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

They do .

All claims have to be disclosed to insurers.

If you purchase ncd protection, in the event of a claim, you do not lose your bonus. That bonus can be transferred, in full, to any insurer that is happy to quote.

Most insurers will have a threshold of acceptability for previous claims ie if you had a €50k claim in the last 5 years most wouldn't quote you even if you still kept your bonus, but if you had a claim for say €5k in the last 5 years and still had your full ncd most insurers will quote you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I don't think my NCB protection would migrate to another insurer. So I guess you would be kinda stuck with your provider in a similar situation.

If you have full bonus protection and have a claim, you can transfer that bonus to another insurer once they are happy that the claim is within acceptability.

See the above post re thresholds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

I should ring a few insurance companies for quotes just to see what the response is.

Rod Munch wrote: »
    All claims have to be disclosed to insurers.

If you purchase ncd protection, in the event of a claim, you do not lose your bonus. That bonus can be transferred, in full, to any insurer that is happy to quote.

Most insurers will have a threshold of acceptability for previous claims ie if you had a €50k claim in the last 5 years most wouldn't quote you even if you still kept your bonus, but if you had a claim for say €5k in the last 5 years and still had your full ncd most insurers will quote you.

Question regarding windscreen claims for you?

If those said claims don't have an impact on NCB, then why do insurers ask claims history including windscreen claims?

Is it a case of putting your hand in the cookie jar will result in a slap on the wrist???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I should ring a few insurance companies for quotes just to see what the response is.

Why depress yourself? I spent 2 hours today ringing around and the best I could do was save 100 quid. Thats still 300 more Im paying than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭9935452

KC161 wrote: »
    Question regarding windscreen claims for you?

If those said claims don't have an impact on NCB, then why do insurers ask claims history including windscreen claims?

Is it a case of putting your hand in the cookie jar will result in a slap on the wrist???

2 or more in 5 years and they wont quote you .
    Plus a lot of the windscreen claims are limited to 250 euro.

• Advertisement

Has anyone Acutally done ok or cheaper on their insurance renewals this year?
    Mine renewal quote was 100% increase from 550 to 1150€ .. Has anybody been quoted cheaper or similar than what they have previously paid ?

2 or more in 5 years and they wont quote you .
    Plus a lot of the windscreen claims are limited to 250 euro.

Had 3 claims for glass in 2009 (vandalism) and for 2010 my glass cover was taken off me for 1 year.

Colash wrote: »
    Has anyone Acutally done ok or cheaper on their insurance renewals this year?
    Mine renewal quote was 100% increase from 550 to 1150€ .. Has anybody been quoted cheaper or similar than what they have previously paid ?

Honestly I thought mine was bad but your jump is crazy. Ring Hastings Insurance brokers in Mayo. They got me the best quote today. Ring them on 094 9362137.

You've nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

33, 7 years NCB, garaged, full licence, 2005 740Li.

Renewal is €1220 with BOI, up from €1150 last year. After ringing 16 companies this time last year just to get that "cheap" quote, I am in me hole ringing anyone again this year. Not worth a moment of my time to be insulted all day long.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Honestly I thought mine was bad but your jump is crazy. Ring Hastings Insurance brokers in Mayo. They got me the best quote today. Ring them on 094 9362137.

You've nothing to lose.

700 is cheapest I can get that was Allianz . The broker that sent the renewal of 1150 has contacted me earlier with a magic figure of 850€ .. Haha

Colash wrote: »
    700 is cheapest I can get that was Allianz . The broker that sent the renewal of 1150 has contacted me earlier with a magic figure of 850€ .. Haha

Its weird because the cheapest I got was with AXA yet in years gone by it was always the most expensive!? The mind boggles with this insurance milarky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Got my renewal by text today from allianz

I got insured for 1k on my car at 24 with a 4 year bonus. Mid term i moved address and got a small refund

My renewal on the same car/address at 25 with a 5 year bonus is now 1570. An increase of 570euro

Being doing online quotes and it varies from 1.2k to 2K a year.

Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Got my renewal by text today from allianz

I got insured for 1k on my car at 24 with a 4 year bonus. Mid term i moved address and got a small refund

My renewal on the same car/address at 25 with a 5 year bonus is now 1570. An increase of 570euro

Being doing online quotes and it varies from 1.2k to 2K a year.

Madness
    Is the car in dreaded 15 year old bracket now?
    Also did you try bank of Ireland especially if you have account.

JamboMac wrote: »
    Is the car in dreaded 15 year old bracket now?
    Also did you try bank of Ireland especially if you have account.

Car is 2006

I am with bank of Ireland but they Cannot get me an online quote

Car is 2006

I am with bank of Ireland but they Cannot get me an online quote

Is your occupation impacting on the quote?

• Advertisement

KC161 wrote: »
    Is your occupation impacting on the quote?

It is and is not appearently. It is because its high risk but its not because i get a discount for the company i work for....

But ive been doing it last 2 years so shouldnt be a factor for this increase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

2008 Mitsubishi evo 2.0ltr

Last year was €890
    Renewal was €1140

When I phoned around the prices I was getting was anywhere between 2,000-3,400

Went online and got a quote from axa for €606

I tell ya I did a happy dance that day 😜

I have a feeling its my car thats putting the price up.

Just did another quick online quote this time for a 2010 citroen C5 auto estate diesel 1.9 which is more or less similar to my 1.9 diesel estate auto saab 9-3 2006

Online quote 886 euro with just one quote .... would get cheaper elsewhere alright....

Saved over 150 by switching from FBD to AXA. Still paying 200 more than last year but It could be worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Last year was 560 with Bank of Ireland, this year has dropped to 490.
    5 years no claims, 11 year old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Renewal just arrived...
    €1221

So the trend has been,

€440
    €680
    €850
    €1221 (renewal quote)

What a joke..
    Surely I'm low rsk, 44yo male, no convictions, no points, 09 VW tiguan, married 2 kids.. FFS :(

Have a renewal quote for €594 fully comp including limited business use. Think its best I'll get, very happy at that.. 25plus.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭jacool

Had a crash this year, not settled yet. Insurance up from €400 to €700.
    Have another car and got quote for €400. Told them about crash and they said they had to talk to underwriters and would revert.
    Can you be "punished" twice for one crash?
    Would it be any better if I put the second car in my better half's name?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Have a renewal quote for €594 fully comp including limited business use. Think its best I'll get, very happy at that.. 25plus.ie

Did you go for that option?

I got a decent quote from them as well but I don't see a phone contact number listed which makes me a trifle nervous of dealing with them...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

Gergiev wrote: »
    Did you go for that option?

I got a decent quote from them as well but I don't see a phone contact number listed which makes me a trifle nervous of dealing with them...
    jaysus you're right, no number, well you'll get it through google but still. In their FAQ they say
    There are times when we experience very high call and chat volumes and we apologise for this. However, 25Plus has been setup at an internet brand and we recommend that you use your "My25Plus" Online Portal as this should be able to answer any question you have.

If you are not already aware, from your "My25Plus" Online Portal you can do the following:

Make permanent and temporary changes of vehicle
    Make permanent and temporary changes to drivers
    Update your personal details
    View your documents
    Check the status of your account
    Upload documents
    View any claims against your policy
    Renew your insurance
    And More...

but you've no worries anyway, I got insurance with them good few times, they're underwritten by AIG. Fire ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

jacool wrote: »
    Had a crash this year, not settled yet. Insurance up from €400 to €700.
    Have another car and got quote for €400. Told them about crash and they said they had to talk to underwriters and would revert.
    Can you be "punished" twice for one crash?
    Would it be any better if I put the second car in my better half's name?

It's insurance, if they can find a way to do you, they will.

Advertisement