Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Car: 2006 2.0 ltr Toyota Avensis
    Licence: Full Irish, 7 year
    NCD: 6 years
    No claim, points, or medical.
    Cover: TPFT
    Add: Partner female 23 (2 years full license)

Aviva last year: €728.
    Renewal: €776. Get it down to €724 (Because I'm loyal)

All quotes are TPFT.

Allianz: €1524
    123: €904
    AXA: €1937
    BestQuote: €1654
    QuoteDevil: €795
    Chill: €1731
    Liberty: €1050
    QuoteMe: €1316
    AIG: €2054
    BoI: €1029
    CoverinaClick: €855
    xsDirect: €2200
    Glennon: €853/ Fully Comp €1101
    FBD: Couldn't give me a quote there and then. Havn't rang me back yet.

So unless FBD are less I'll be sticking with Aviva!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Car: 2006 2.0 ltr Toyota Avensis
    Licence: Full Irish, 7 year
    NCD: 6 years
    No claim, points, or medical.
    Cover: TPFT
    Add: Partner female 23 (2 years full license)

Aviva last year: €728.
    Renewal: €776. Get it down to €724 (Because I'm loyal)

All quotes are TPFT.

Allianz: €1524
    123: €904
    AXA: €1937
    BestQuote: €1654
    QuoteDevil: €795
    Chill: €1731
    Liberty: €1050
    QuoteMe: €1316
    AIG: €2054
    BoI: €1029
    CoverinaClick: €855
    xsDirect: €2200
    Glennon: €853/ Fully Comp €1101
    FBD: Couldn't give me a quote there and then. Havn't rang me back yet.

So unless FBD are less I'll be sticking with Aviva!

Tell AXA that QuoteDevil are quoting 680, and see if they will match it

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

22 with a 2008 Zetec-S Fiesta, 3years NCB

Last year TPFT €1350, Renewal of €2260! (Best my broker could find was €1660)

Aviva, Full Comp for €1060! (Ok I had to do the Ignition Test)

AA were next at €1220, Highest was 123 at €4,500.

Madness. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Your Age: 33
    Car type and engine: 2002 Mercedes E220 2.2
    years driving: 9
    any claims: no
    Price and provider: 1300 appx

Bit of background. I was living in Ferrybank, Waterford for the last 7 years. For anyone that doesn't know, it's basically Waterford City. I moved back home to Co. Limerick, a little village 20 minutes from the city. In Ferrybank, I got a quote for the year of €425, or €30 a month, which ive been paying for the last 6 months. When I moved address, it went up by €440 appx, or from €30 to €115 a month.

I've rang around and the cheapest I can get is €1200 tpft. I have effectively been priced out affording insurance. I've changed jobs and have gone back to minimum wage. I've tried other cars in my price range and I can't afford anything over a 02. Because of this, some companies won't even quote me. One told me I need to buy a newer car (the cheeky...).

Liberty have said it's due to claims and crashes in my new area, but I can't see how a country address (which hasn't had a stolen car anywhere near it for 33 years at least and few crashes) from a place that had crashes every day and one stolen car a week at least (I was a garda). They are refusing to back this up by giving me proof. I've a complaint gone to the Financial Ombudsman over it. It's the only service I can think of that doesn't require to provide proof of their nearly 400% increase! I can no longer afford insurance, and I've never even had so much as a scratch or claim.... I honestly don't know what to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭9935452

Your Age: 33
    Car type and engine: 2002 Mercedes E220 2.2
    years driving: 9
    any claims: no
    Price and provider: 1300 appx

Bit of background. I was living in Ferrybank, Waterford for the last 7 years. For anyone that doesn't know, it's basically Waterford City. I moved back home to Co. Limerick, a little village 20 minutes from the city. In Ferrybank, I got a quote for the year of €425, or €30 a month, which ive been paying for the last 6 months. When I moved address, it went up by €440 appx, or from €30 to €115 a month.

I've rang around and the cheapest I can get is €1200 tpft. I have effectively been priced out affording insurance. I've changed jobs and have gone back to minimum wage. I've tried other cars in my price range and I can't afford anything over a 02. Because of this, some companies won't even quote me. One told me I need to buy a newer car (the cheeky...).

Liberty have said it's due to claims and crashes in my new area, but I can't see how a country address (which hasn't had a stolen car anywhere near it for 33 years at least and few crashes) from a place that had crashes every day and one stolen car a week at least (I was a garda). They are refusing to back this up by giving me proof. I've a complaint gone to the Financial Ombudsman over it. It's the only service I can think of that doesn't require to provide proof of their nearly 400% increase! I can no longer afford insurance, and I've never even had so much as a scratch or claim.... I honestly don't know what to do...

Out of curiosity did you get a quote for waterford?

Personally I know having a limerick address puts up the premium/
    10 years ago i was working in cork , living in limerick. 20% dearer with the limerick address.
    Did you try adding a named driver like a girlfriend or parent or looking at fully comp . For some odd reason full comp can work out cheaper then third party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭techdiver

It's laughable. One of the gripes the insurance companies have is the fact that according to them a third of accidents involve uninsured drivers. With the increases in premiums they are now completing a self fulfilling prophecy by encouraging uninsured drivers.

In their defense this could be easily combated by introducing a system that cross references registered cars with insurance policies. Over night you could resolve the issue of uninsured drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

techdiver wrote: »
    It's laughable. One of the gripes the insurance companies have is the fact that according to them a third of accidents involve uninsured drivers. With the increases in premiums they are now completing a self fulfilling prophecy by encouraging uninsured drivers.

In their defense this could be easily combated by introducing a system that cross references registered cars with insurance policies. Over night you could resolve the issue of uninsured drivers.

not really, people should be smart enough to know if i can't afford insurance, i can't drive. Not i can't afford insurance well i'll drive without because its clearly somebody else's fault like all the learners on the road that shouldn't be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭techdiver

JamboMac wrote: »
    not really, people should be smart enough to know if i can't afford insurance, i can't drive. Not i can't afford insurance well i'll drive without because its clearly somebody else's fault like all the learners on the road that shouldn't be there.

Unfortunately in the real world that's not how things work. As long as there is a chance of getting away with something history has taught us that people will do it.

There are probably situations where people need a car for work and cannot afford insurance. In that instance I can somewhat understand driving without insurance (whilst not condoning it).

My original point was that the rising cost of insurance will add to the problem of uninsured drivers which will add to the rising cost of uninsured claims, which will lead to rising premiums, which will lead to more uninsured drivers etc etc.... Around and around we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Car: 2006 Opel Astra 1.4
    Licence: Full, 10+ years
    NCD: Max (10+ years same as above).
    Cover: Fully comp, 250 excess, Windscreen cover, breakdown.

2014: €380 Cover with Ulsterbank (Aviva)
    Last year: €430 Cover with Ulsterbank (Aviva)
    This year Renewal: €2700 (Having a ****ing laugh)

Best Quote so far €890 straight through Aviva (Weird) seeing as its the same company.

I thought it said 270 then i nearly dropped, Numbers from their hole

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Was dreading my renewal from BOI but it came today and it's down €120 from last year!! (€580 to €460)

200_s.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

I've gone back five pages and all the quotes are for young to middle age drives, id like to know what the senior males (60+)are paying for a small one liter car... cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

€490 average is what I see daily for up to 1.6 cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Age 31
    NCB maximum
    Point zero
    Full license 11 years
    No claims or convicted
    Car is a 1.6 2009 Volvo s40 diseal
    Insured it with a broker through Zenith insurance at 550€ fully comp
    Rewnal came in post this morning at 1150€ 😂😂😂😂😂

It's comical at this stage !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Car: 2005 Skoda Superb, 1.9 diesel
    Licence: Full Irish, 14
    NCD: 9 years
    No claims, points, or medical.
    Cover: FC last year, TPFT this year
    Add: Partner female 37 (9 years full license)

Last year:
    AA (reselling Allianz) Fully comp: €579
    Renewal: €801

Went direct to Allianz and got TPFT plus windscreen and breakdown for €532

Other quotes TPFT:
    Aviva: €655.85
    AIG: €890.79
    123.ie: €637

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Colash wrote: »
    Age 31
    NCB maximum
    Point zero
    Full license 11 years
    No claims or convicted
    Car is a 1.6 2009 Volvo s40 diseal
    Insured it with a broker through Zenith insurance at 550€ fully comp
    Rewnal came in post this morning at 1150€ 😂😂😂😂😂

It's comical at this stage !!!

Your own details are near identical to my own.
    I've a focus with the same engine and same year.

AXA quoted me 700e.
    up from 550e the previous year.

What did you give for your occupation?
    County of residence?

KC161 wrote: »
    Your own details are near identical to my own.
    I've a focus with the same engine and same year.

AXA quoted me 700e.
    up from 550e the previous year.

What did you give for your occupation?
    County of residence?

Security guard and Ireland . I've rang a few places and 700 is best I can get . . Which to me is still a big increase

Security guard and Ireland . I've rang a few places and 700 is best I can get . . Which to me is still a big increase

I changed addresses here in Cork and it made a difference in the premium,yeah I know Ireland,what I meant was Cork,Kerry,Limerick etc etc, every county has a different risk attached in their opinion whether right or wrong.

Say Knocknaheeny in Cork is more of a risk than say Foxrock in Dublin.

You ended up with the same quote as myself. Insurance is like a Lottery. God only knows what numbers they'll hand out.

KC161 wrote: »
    I changed addresses here in Cork and it made a difference in the premium,yeah I know Ireland,what I meant was Cork,Kerry,Limerick etc etc, every county has a different risk attached in their opinion whether right or wrong.

Say Knocknaheeny in Cork is more of a risk than say Foxrock in Dublin.

You ended up with the same quote as myself. Insurance is like a Lottery. Got only knows what numbers they'll hand out.

Apologies I thought your post said country . I'm in Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

btw I was messing about with some online quotes a couple of months ago trying out various combinations to see what affects my quote. Being from near Athlone I noticed Athlone, Co. Roscommon adds 50 euro to the price compared to Athlone, Co. Westmeath.

Difference between having a full licence for 2 year or 10 years made about 5 euro of a difference in my case. NCB made little difference once I had 5 years. Only other major difference was adding my gf with a learner permit which reduced it by 50 euro.

Different companies/brokers most likely have the criteria affect their policies differently but it's wort playing around with the online forms when you settle on a company to see how you might improve your quote (legally of course).

There's no problem :)

Adding a wife,girlfriend,partner,parent might work.

Have my O/H on my policy. without her it would have been 1150.

She only has a learner permit at that which boggles the mind as to why it comes down for adding another driver :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

2014 vw up 1.0
    1 claim last year (none prior to that) €7000 for a new engine (contaminated fuel)
    renewed with Aviva
    (stayed with them as they did pay my claim, unlike a lot of other insurance companies)

€364 fully comp, ncb protection, personal worldwide injury insurance included (for any injury sustained as a fee paying passenger on any transport)
    Wife on policy also, both have full licence, driving of other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

2014 vw up 1.0
    1 claim last year (none prior to that) €7000 for a new engine (contaminated fuel)
    renewed with Aviva
    (stayed with them as they did pay my claim, unlike a lot of other insurance companies)

€364 fully comp, ncb protection, personal worldwide injury insurance included (for any injury sustained as a fee paying passenger on any transport)
    Wife on policy also, both have full licence, driving of other cars.

Jesus you got off very lightly with a claim and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Jesus you got off very lightly with a claim and all.

He paid for full ncd protection and was rightly not penalised for the claim.

Some people would have you believe that insurers will load you for making any claim.

That is simply not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭bog master

04 1.4 car, 60 yr old, no points/no claims/full NCB
    My current insurer from 347 to 650, the worst of the online was 1,647 and with new (to be) 389 fully comp. How can there be such a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

1998 opel astra 1.4 ,no points, full NCB,no claims, €272 fully comp, renewal notice,bank of ireland (rsa) being over 15 yrs was expecting worst, but did get extra discount for being BOI customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    1998 opel astra 1.4 ,no points, full NCB,no claims, €272 fully comp, renewal notice,bank of ireland (rsa) being over 15 yrs was expecting worst, but did get extra discount for being BOI customer.

What age are you?

I'm being robbed paying just under a grand. 2001 Subaru Impreza WRX, 2 litre turbo petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

What age are you?

I'm being robbed paying just under a grand. 2001 Subaru Impreza WRX, 2 litre turbo petrol.

50 yrs , dont think they care about your age normally if car is over 15yrs they load it, 123ie did that with me, thats why i went with BOI, but strange thing is 123.ie was RSA as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

What age are you?

You are driving a car that many insurers do not want to quote, that's why you are paying a grand tbh.

For cars like your own and other "performance" type vehicles its a sellers market.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Renewal just arrived...
    €1221

So the trend has been,

€440
    €680
    €850
    €1221 (renewal quote)

What a joke..
    Surely I'm low rsk, 44yo male, no convictions, no points, 09 VW tiguan, married 2 kids.. FFS :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Quoted €902 renewal for a 1.2 Fiesta. Last year it was €550! I'm seriously piss*d off right now.
    31 years old with 8 years no claims bonus. FFS!

Advertisement