Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

techdiver wrote: »
    There should be regulation of insurance prices or alternatively a non profit national insurance company.

If you cannot control what is paid out, you cannot regulate the premium. As for a non-profit national insurance company, most insurers would jump at the chance of off loading the compulsory 3rd party aspect of motor insurance, leaving them to compete for the optional own damage/loss covers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭techdiver

If you cannot control what is paid out, you cannot regulate the premium. As for a non-profit national insurance company, most insurers would jump at the chance of off loading the compulsory 3rd party aspect of motor insurance, leaving them to compete for the optional own damage/loss covers

Yes you can. In the same way health insurance is regulated. Transparency in earnings v payouts would allow a regulatory body to set the price whilst still allowing for profit.

I agree that the level of claims need to be addressed also, but I don't accept that claims have all of a sudden risen at the same rate as premiums over the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Years driving: 10
    Car: '07 Honda Civic 1.8 SES
    NCB: 9 years
    Claims: 0
    Cover: Fully comp
    Provider: Chill
    That's the missus, and I'm named driver on full license

Price: 2years ago premium was €547 with AIG via Chill
    Last year: Quoted €741 for renewal with ARB via Chill, haggled them down to €620 with a false competitors bid from First Ireland!

This year quotes for fully comp:
    Axa - €520
    Cornmarket - €625
    Zurich via Glennons - €768
    AIG via Chill - €900

That's me done with Chill for good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Yes you can. In the same way health insurance is regulated. Transparency in earnings v payouts would allow a regulatory body to set the price whilst still allowing for profit.

I agree that the level of claims need to be addressed also, but I don't accept that claims have all of a sudden risen at the same rate as premiums over the last couple of years.

Do people not read the news?

Premiums were far too low for a number of years, the collapse of Setanta and Quinn prove that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Insurers have had to increase their rates in order to comply with the Solvency II regime.

I agree there should be more transparency in terms of the claims payments they make but if you pick up a newspaper pretty much every week there are stories about people getting juicy payouts for minor "injuries", we live in a compo culture. There was an article last week from the VFI about rhr substantial rise in legal fees for claims made from pubs.

As much of if not more of the blame lies at the feet of the law society.

They are the ones that are profiting most from the claims environment in Ireland.

Yet there is no call for regulation and transparency of their fees and charges.

Insurers get the blame because they are an easy target for barstoolers.

If people did a bit of leg work then they would clearly see there are many sides at fault.

A few contact numbers from the cheaper companies:
    Axa 1890247365
    First Ireland 01 8820818
    Glennons 1890 812 221
    Cornmarket 01 4708043
    AIG 1890 27 27 27

• Advertisement

All insurers publish their underwriting results every year. As for health insurance, that increases by serious figures every year, as claim costs increase. General insurers just 'put off' the amount they needed to increase in recent years to meet losses and are playing catch up now

Do people not read the news?

Premiums were far too low for a number of years, the collapse of Setanta and Quinn prove that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Insurers have had to increase their rates in order to comply with the Solvency II regime.

I agree there should be more transparency in terms of the claims payments they make but if you pick up a newspaper pretty much every week there are stories about people getting juicy payouts for minor "injuries", we live in a compo culture. There was an article last week from the VFI about rhr substantial rise in legal fees for claims made from pubs.

As much of if not more of the blame lies at the feet of the law society.

They are the ones that are profiting most from the claims environment in Ireland.

Yet there is no call for regulation and transparency of their fees and charges.

Insurers get the blame because they are an easy target for barstoolers.

If people did a bit of leg work then they would clearly see there are many sides at fault.

I am very aware of the factors you mention, but not everyone is buying the cause and effect that is being peddled.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/irish-motor-insurers-are-charging-more-to-boost-profits-1.2631682

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/aviva-reports-best-results-in-years-operating-profit-up-32-1.2567443

It's easy to blame a solvency regime for massive increase when there is no transparency in pricing. Some increases were warranted, but I don't accept that the level of increases were necessary.

I am very aware of the factors you mention, but not everyone is buying the cause and effect that is being peddled.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/irish-motor-insurers-are-charging-more-to-boost-profits-1.2631682

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/aviva-reports-best-results-in-years-operating-profit-up-32-1.2567443

It's easy to blame a solvency regime for massive increase when there is no transparency in pricing. Some increases were warranted, but I don't accept that the level of increases were necessary.

Why don't you accept it?

What basis in reality do you have for thinking insurers are up to no good?

Why don't you accept it?

What basis in reality do you have for thinking insurers are up to no good?

The multiple articles in the media like the ones above and the current investigation.

Just on those articles, the first one relates to injuries board payments. Insurers are keen to avoid the IB because over 90% of claims are now being represented by solicitors which invariably leads to longer cases and higher payments, its often easier to settle claims "on the steps"

The aviva article, if you read it it states tur majority of the increases are from non insurance business ie health and life cover.

Should they keep motor premiums low by propping up their reserves with profits from other sections?

Of course not. That makes no business sense whatsoever.

• Advertisement

The multiple articles in the media like the ones above and the current investigation.

Such as this extract from one of the articles you linked

"Addressing the broader state of the market, it adds: “The question does arise for motor insurers – if motor insurance is so unprofitable why does anybody do it?”

How many insurers in the last few years have folded or withdrawn from the Irish motor insurance market? How many new entrants are clambering to come in and get a slice of this pie?

or this from the same piece

Also, more than 90 per cent of claimants to the Injuries Board are represented by solicitors even though the Injuries Board was meant to be a lawyer-free zone.”

The multiple articles are ALL speculative at best.

I can post multiple articles detailing the difficulties and losses suffered by insurers.

I can post reports from the central bank detailing the losses.

I can post annual accounts from insurers detailing their losses.

I have done all of the above on numerous occasions yet people ignore what's in front of their eyes.

If you choose to disregard them then I'm not prepared to spend time arguing because there is no point.

Saul T Nutzz and Sue Pa Key Pa out in force today. Out of interest, who do you two work for?

Saul T Nutzz and Sue Pa Key Pa out in force today. Out of interest, who do you two work for?

Given that it's all a cartel, we obviously work for the same evil overlords

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Ah lads it's a thread called '..tell us your quotes'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

koutoubia wrote: »
    Ah lads it's a thread called '..tell us your quotes'

They have an agenda to push and a forum to facilitate that. Blatant lies being thrown out as gospel in other threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭Allinall

They have an agenda to push and a forum to facilitate that. Blatant lies being thrown out as gospel in other threads.

What's the agenda , in your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Unfollowed

jca wrote: »
    Unfollowed

Me too. Apologies if I contributed to that decision

Me too. Apologies if I contributed to that decision
    No loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Car: 2003 BMW 320D
    Licence: Full Irish, 10 years+
    NCD: 6+ years
    Cover: TPFT

Bank of Ireland Insurance (RSA)

Last year, as a new customer and current account holder - €393

This year's renewal - €485

Gave First Ireland a call after getting plenty of predictable €900 plus quotes from the likes of AXA, AA and FBD. Best they could do was €850. She basically told me to bite the hand off my current insurer as I'd never beat it. Annoying to have to stump up another €100 but I suppose I'm getting away light considering the car's age and the current climate.

Just a heads up: Having a look around for my own and the mother's policy this evening as we're both up for renewal in December. Managed to get a TPFT quote for her from 123.ie on a 1L Yaris for €316 and a quote for myself with the above details for €466. So might be worth a shot for anyone on the look out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

Best quote I have got is an increase of over 100% compared to last year. Most expensive is an increase of 290%, quoted by 7 insurers at this stage, renewal quote from current insurer isn't due for another 2 weeks, not expecting much different though.

A premium of over double on last years cost is starting to look like good value now.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭diegowhite

Your Age: 34
    Car type and engine: Nissan Pathfinder 08 2.5 d
    years driving: 4 years commercial (4 private but they don't count that)
    any claims: 0
    Price and provider: Commercial Insurance €1500 Insure My Van
    Was €1000 last year, €700 the year before

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭japasca

Car: Audi TT, 2.0 TFSI 200bhp, Automatic - 2007
    Cover: Third Party Fire and Theft
    Additional Driver - GF

Last Year - €688 - 123.ie

Quotes from Axa - €890
    An Post - Would not quote due to high performance car....:rolleyes:
    Went with renewal quote of €688 since it was kept the same as last year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Car: 2008 Ford Mondeo 1.6L Zetec
    Cover: TPFT
    Additional - Wife (Provisional) & Mother (Full 10yrs+, made policy cheaper) & full bonus protection

123.ie, been the cheapest for years, last year €900ish on a 2002 Audi A4 1.8T
    Renewal this year €1216 on the Mondeo (last minute offer today of €1116)

AXA - TPFT=€905 Comp=€946
    Chill - didn't matter which €823 (€100 more is mother was on policy)
    First Ireland - TPFT=€846 Comp=€920
    AA -TPFT=€880 Comp = €882
    Liberty - TPFT=€808 Comp=€880
    An Post - TPFT=€740 Comp=€782
    BOI - TPFT=€1380 Comp=€1486

On advice from others on here I tried Glennons
    TPFT = €707 Comp=€749 (dearer is mother was on policy so didn't name her this time)

As every year pain in the a£$e. Putting mother on policy had some going up others down. The first Ireland online form nearly killed me, they need to work on that. AA weirdly would only cover me to drive other cars TFPT IF the policy was paid in full, not installments.

Cheers lads, went fully comp on Glennons as best price and most policy benefits.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

43 no claims
    12 year old 2.0 petrol Honda accord (with the unfortunate sport in the name)
    Last year 720
    6 years no claims
    THis year renewal came in at 1151
    Checked online and the best I was getting came in at 875
    Rang Axa to complain about the increase and they came back with 870 so happy with that.

Nearly 300 quid saved thanks to a bit of research and a phonecall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

46 year old male
    1.4 toyota 2006
    6 years +no claims bonus
    last year 600 with no nonsense,been with them over 10 years
    this year they wanted 1160!!! complete nonsense!

went online and got it for 480 from 123.ie delighted with that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Axa are charging me more for Third Party Fire & Theft than they are for Comprehensive. An extra 70 euros :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

siblers wrote: »
    Axa are charging me more for Third Party Fire & Theft than they are for Comprehensive. An extra 70 euros :confused:

I had a few quotes like this as well, so I asked how that could be possible. I was told, as we know, insurance is based on risk and to calculate the risk historical data is taken into account. This data shows that younger people traditionally bought third party as it was the cheaper option, these younger people were also having more accidents, driving up the price of third party to a point
    where it has overtaken fully comp!! Seems bizarre but this is what I was told by one of the insurance companies!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Car: 2007 Skoda Roomster 1.4 (stop laughing down the back)
    Licence: Full Irish, 5 years
    Cover: Comprehensive
    Additional - partner, female, 45, full Irish, originally foreign licence

AA (Aviva)
    AA member.

Was dreading the renewal as I volunteer driving for a Day centre and other volunteers had been hammered this year.

Last year was €492, this year €436. Couldn't believe it.
    I nearly snapped their arm off.

An Post quoted €498.

Advertisement