Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I did but unfortunately its a similar price to my renewal quotation. As well, just a minute ago, I tried another online quotation with Liberty...I increased the value of my car from €4500 to €5200 and added my Mother (In her sixties) to the policy and it magically dropped to €699 for comprehensive (Or €555 for TPFT). I'll chance a few more places but I doubt I'll do better than that.

If you have the time I'd suggest making a few calls tomorrow.

When doing quotes online the price is the price but most companies would have a bit of scope for discount over the phone. Brokers like Chill for example would have a broker fee of €40 to €50 built into their online prices which if pressed over the phone they may reduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Car: 11 1.6 bluemo golf

NCD: 4

Licence: Full 5 year

Cover: Fully comp,

Best quote: €1150 same as last year current insurer came back with 1600

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Car: 06 Mondeo 1.9 tdci
    Licence: 8 years
    No claims: 8 years Cover: Fully comp
    Price: €827
    Company: Aviva

** Just to add insured a zx6r (kawasaki ninja 600cc) sportsbike on a permit with 0 NCB for just under 500 and tax for the year 88e **

Just doesnt make sense ....

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Car: 06 Mondeo 1.9 tdci
    Licence: 8 years
    No claims: 8 years Cover: Fully comp
    Price: €827

** Just to add insured a zx6r (kawasaki ninja 600cc) sportsbike on a permit with 0 NCB for just under 500 and tax for the year 88e **

Chances are if you have a bad crash on a motorbike you are only going to kill yourself.

A bad accident in a car can potentially kill multiple people.

The third party risk for cars is exponentially higher than for bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

Chances are if you have a bad crash on a motorbike you are only going to kill yourself.

A bad accident in a car can potentially kill multiple people.

The third party risk for cars is exponentially higher than for bikes.

And bikes seem to do very low mileage in a year.
    And as the weather gets worse with the winter coming in people use bikes less

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Wife's car

Age; Holding Well
    Car; 2007 Ford Focus, 1.4
    Full Licence, now points, claims, max NCB
    Cover; Comp with protected NCB

Last Year; €295 (Patrona Underwriting)
    Renewal Quote; €504
    Best alternative so far; €329 Aviva Direct, a few more to try yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Car: 08 Bmw 730d Sport (3 litre 231bhp)
    Licence:Full for 9 years
    No claims: 9 years
    Cover: Fully comp
    Price: €860

initially my renewal price was €1047 but after i rang them up and asked for a discount they dropped it to €860 . by far the cheapest i could find but still up from €490 last year . next cheapest was Blue insurance at €992 Bank of ireland at €1010 . the dearest was liberty at something like €4000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

initially my renewal price was €1047 but after i rang them up and asked for a discount they dropped it to €860 . by far the cheapest i could find but still up from €490 last year . next cheapest was Blue insurance at €992 Bank of ireland at €1010 . the dearest was liberty at something like €4000

Isn't blue insurance a 2 year policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

KC161 wrote: »
    Isn't blue insurance a 2 year policy?

they do 2 year policies but that was a price for 1 year . they only offer 2 year policies on cars with engines smaller than 2.2 litre

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Car: 01 Audi TT225 1.8 petrol. 5k kms annual mileage
    Licence: 30 years - RoSPA Advanced and IAM advanced as well.....
    No claims: Max - 10+ years
    Price: 2016 - €1,016 - €1,249 (2015 = €530)
    Company: various

** Just to add insured an 1450cc H-D for €360 full comp **

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

galwaytt wrote: »
    Car: 01 Audi TT225 1.8 petrol. 5k kms annual mileage
    Licence: 30 years - RoSPA Advanced and IAM advanced as well.....
    No claims: Max - 10+ years
    Price: 2016 - 1,016 - 1,249 (2015 = 530)
    Company: various

** Just to add insured an 1450cc H-D for 360 full comp **

Insane :(

Insurance renewal just came in and have been shopping around. Will post details later. Quick question though, Quote Devil is coming in slightly higher than 25plus but have heard a few bad stories about 25plus. Would it be worth paying €30 extra and going with Quote Devil?

Quotes aren't too bad considering what's been posted here. Will post full details after a few more quotes come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Google review the underwriters.. both agents/brokers have had bad reviews when trying to get through on phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Check the underwriters are both could be same, confirm you have at minimum a step-back bonus protection, conform if F&T claims effect the policy

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

The mind boggles.

I've a 1.6 litre mini cooper. 8 years no claims / full license. No penalty points. 33 years old. Cheapest I can get a renewal with aviva is 1000. Your car is far more powerful.

The mind boggles.

I've a 1.6 litre mini cooper. 8 years no claims / full license. No penalty points. 33 years old. Cheapest I can get a renewal with aviva is 1000. Your car is far more powerful.

Insurers generally don't like Minis.

My wife has one at the moment and the best we could get at her renewal in May was €610 with Allianz. Next after that was AIG at €820.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Insurers generally don't like Minis.

My wife has one at the moment and the best we could get at her renewal in May was €610 with Allianz. Next after that was AIG at €820.

I was with AIG last year for 540, but this year they wanted 1250. Shopping around like crazy right now. 25plus.ie was very cheap but the reviews of their customer service seems to be horrid, so I'm not sure if it's worth it. Will try Allianz next - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Car: 2007 Mazda 6 M P S (260bhp)
    Licence:Full for 8 years
    No claims: 8 years
    2015 Price: €680
    Company: Axa

2016 renewal price €1520 :confused: (got them down to €1200 on the phone)

Did a good bit of searching online best was An Post €707! Not a huge increase on last year so I guess I'm happy but it should be going down not up. I'm a year older with a year more no claims. An Post only recognise 5+in any case.

Funny (not actually funny) that Bank of Ireland were highly recommended on this thread but they were my highest! They are literally pulling numbers out of a hat!

Many of the insurers also have completely different comprehensive policies with loads of extras some useful some probably useless. Mine is no frills bar having stepped back NCB, windscreen and breakdown.

-An Post €707
    -123.ie €805
    -Allianz €840
    -Super Valu 3rd party f+t €850
    -AA €883
    -25 plus €890
    -Campion €1120
    -AXA €1200
    -Chill Quick quote was around €800 but it went to €1400 for the full quote
    -Bank of Ireland €1428
    -Blue insurance no quote
    -Zurich No quote online
    -FBD No quote online
    -Aviva No Quote online
    A few others were so high I didn't even bother taking the price down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Bizarre, An Post wouldn't touch me! No at fault claims, no points, max bonus.

Car: 2011 Renault Fluence
    Licence: Full for 22yrs
    No claims: 9+ years (never had claim)
    Cover: Fully comp with full NCD protection, Windscreen and breakdown cover
    2015 Price: €420
    Company: 123.ie

All quotes include spouse as named driver with no points, full licence 10+ years, full no claims and own insurance and car.

Quotes so far:
    123.ie: €567
    Alliance: €580
    25plus (AIG): €455
    AIG: €560
    Aviva: €577
    Quote Devil (Zurich): €478
    Chill: Between €860 and €1900
    An Post: No online quote, have to call

So, I might be tempted to go with Quote Devil. Still 3 weeks to renew so will make a few calls. Would prefer to go with one of the big name insurers directly if possible. Chill.ie are a disaster, they must not want any business!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Timooo_23

Car: 2007 Honda Civic Type R
    Licence: Full Irish 6 years
    No claims: 4 years
    1 claim just over 4 years ago
    Claimed €1500, not my fault (which doesn't matter it turns out)
    Cover: Third party fire and theft. Windscreen and breakdown cover

2016 price: Renewal with Aviva : €3985

Best quote : €1800 xs direct (€3000 excess)

2015 Price: €1100 fully comp

Most insurers, and I called all of them, would not quote the car. At all. The ones that did varied from €2500 to €5450!

I know it's a performance car, but seriously... I was told I should sell my car because next year it'll probably double again.

Unless your occupation involves setting up explosives in remote places at night while drunk, or you are an electronic engineer, it looks like 2points is enough to trigger the old "we need to talk" with an post. Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Haven't the insurance industry said this week that we can expect 2017 prices to be higher again?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Haven't the insurance industry said this week that we can expect 2017 prices to be higher again?

Where did you hear that??? That actually breaks my heart :(

Autosport wrote: »

The beatings will continue until morale improves

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

The beatings will continue until morale improves

Then AutoSport will just be Sport, can't take much more :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Autosport wrote: »

Here's why your insurance premiums look set to rise more this year http://jrnl.ie/3000662

Here's why your insurance premiums look set to rise more this year http://jrnl.ie/3000662

Some glorious gibberish in that piece "we'll have to charge more so that we become profitable so that we can charge less". What the fup is going to magically change in the costs side that will allow them to charge noticeably less after being profitable for a few quarters?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

So the insurance companies need to increase their income by about 40% to break even without investment income included.I'd say they've achieved that this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

Galwaytt - That is insane.

My renewal just came this morning exact same car and mileage as you, I'm 41 and in Dublin.

Last year was €480 this year they want €734. I have started the ring around yet...so we'll see where we end up!

Advertisement