Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

wonski wrote: »
    If only rest of the Europe was driving on the left :D

Georgia do.... Sold a lovely E200 to a fella that was taking it back home there....RHD also...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Piece on Claire Byrne now about motor insurance costs

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

Car: 2012 Toyota Prius

Licence: Full, 25 yrs. Zero Penalty Points. No Convictions.

NCD: 6+ years

Cover: Fully Comp

Price: Initial renewal quote was Euro 661, up from Euro 400 last year (a 65% Increase). After phoning the broker and pushing for preferred customer discounts, I managed to get it requoted for Euro 520 (a 30% Increase).

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Be sure to confirm the Prius is coded as hybrid on system and not as petrol as hybrid cars are cheaper to insure

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

35 yr old Male

2005 MKV Golf GTI

No penalty points, 7 years NCB, 10+ years licence and insurance in own name.

Only ever been quoted by two companies for this car - Aviva and 123.ie

Aviva renewal has come in at 809.25 while 123.ie are quoting 827 - up from 710 last year.

The quote includes my wife as named driver on provisional license and is fully comp.

None of the other companies seem to provide any quote online.

Any other GTI owners out there with tips on insurance?

Update to this. I rang around a few brokers including Quote Devil who laughed me out of it with a quote of 3000€!

Eventually rang up Aviva to renew with them and they offered me a renewal of 750€ even though the amount on my letter was 809?! Go figure...

I reckon they just pluck the figures from their ar$e.

Either way, not as bad as I expected - up from 710 last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Skipper12

I'm 38 year old professional male who's premium has gone from €574 (Including fees) to my most recent quotation of €1,249.41!!! (117%!!!)

Car is 2010 Audi A4.

Full licence 16 years, have partner on the insurance who also has licence 16 years and has her own car. I have had no claims but think the maximum they used when calculating my current policy was 5 years. I have been with the current insurer for 2 years so another 2 years no claims. I am driving the same car and the only thing that has changed since my last renewal is that I am a year older with another year of no claims bonus built up. I haven't even had a speeding fine in that time.

Now it is like I am 18 years old again going to have to ring around to see how much of a discount I can get off this outrageous quotation.

Currently in the middle of upgrading my car to a 2014 A6 so not sure how that will affect the premium!!!

Any direction as to what companies to try is appreciated.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Skipper12 wrote: »
    I'm 38 year old professional male who's premium has gone from €574 (Including fees) to my most recent quotation of €1,249.41!!! (117%!!!)

Car is 2010 Audi A4.

Full licence 16 years, have partner on the insurance who also has licence 16 years and has her own car. I have had no claims but think the maximum they used when calculating my current policy was 5 years. I have been with the current insurer for 2 years so another 2 years no claims. I am driving the same car and the only thing that has changed since my last renewal is that I am a year older with another year of no claims bonus built up. I haven't even had a speeding fine in that time.

Now it is like I am 18 years old again going to have to ring around to see how much of a discount I can get off this outrageous quotation.

Currently in the middle of upgrading my car to a 2014 A6 so not sure how that will affect the premium!!!

Any direction as to what companies to try is appreciated.

Thanks

Where are the red flags here I wonder? At this rate, you'd expect a young lad with no NCB to be 15k plus on the same car in the same area... I bet it's more like half that.

Any chance they are targeting profiles based on how much they can squeeze from them instead of how much risk they present? Settled professionals with most to lose if they were to be caught without insurance?

Another example - 3k for 40year old professional with perfect driving record on a 1.4 80hp Focus, 9 years old???? Can ANYONE from the industry say either of these quotes are reasonable and proportional?

I actually forgot to add that I require class 2 insurance due to my line of work which adds to that theory!!!

They don't want cars older than average, they don't want cars newer than average.
    They don't want people without jobs, they don't want people with professional, desk based jobs.
    They don't want young people, they don't want settled 35+ people.
    They don't want people with no NCB, they don't want people with max NCB.

If they could just come out and tell us who they WILL insure for under €800, it would save a LOT of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Green Mile

31 Male,
    Full Irish License over 5 years. No claims ever.
    2009 Ford fiesta (haven't bought the car yet)
    All companies offer me quotes of €2,900 per year.

I sold my car in 2013 and have been driving on a motor bike for 3 years. The reason I have been given for the above quote is that "you've been off the road too long, the system thinks you're new to the road as you are two years or more not driving a car"

Insurance companies can't accept I drive my motor bike every day, also their system doesn't account for my previous years no claims or the fact i've a full Irish licence, they are adamant i'm new to the road.

It's unbelievable. Any suggestions are welcomed?

• Advertisement

Skipper12 wrote: »
    I actually forgot to add that I require class 2 insurance due to my line of work which adds to that theory!!!

The main cost could be solely be the class 2 . Ask the company the cost for class 2 compared to SD&P & commuting to work cover. That cost is normally paid to you by your employers so no cost to you really.

Which occup have you specified to the insurer as 'professional is vague'

Yes the A6 may be higher group depending on spec and depending if imported high spec too

cplwhisper wrote: »
    The main cost could be solely be the class 2 . Ask the company the cost for class 2 compared to SD&P & commuting to work cover. That cost is normally paid to you by your employers so no cost to you really.

Which occup have you specified to the insurer as 'professional is vague'

Yes the A6 may be higher group depending on spec and depending if imported high spec too

Thanks for your input but... I think you are missing the main point. The fact is that last year the premium was being offered to me for 117% less with all of the information relating to me and the car and my profession being the same?????? The only difference this year is that I am 1 year older with another year of claims free driving?

Is class 2 or class 1b usually calculated just as a percentage of the main policy, or is it subject to its own formula using some or all of the info used to generate a SD&P quote? Or is it a fixed cost on top of the SD&P?

The next time I go to my boss with the cost of work related motor insurance I think he might just say "yerrah you can just stay in the office altogether"...

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

IP freely wrote: »

Car: 01 Subaru Impreza WRX estate (218bhp)

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points

Cover: Fully comp, protected, breakdown, windscreen cover.

Best quote: €599 through a local broker with a company called ignite. Could have got it slightly cheaper but the policy was worse, higher excess + step back only. That's with herself on the policy too.

Plesently surprised given it was €720 last year, although my insurer last year quoted me €1870 renewal. Brokers were grand price wise, the bigger companies (axa aviva ect) wanted either a ransom or wouldnt quote.

And this year €2100 is the cheapest! No changes to the above, has the world gone mad. Actually got laughed at by my current broker when I questioned the quote of €3750 and was told they only gave that quote because they have to!

Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Is class 2 or class 1b usually calculated just as a percentage of the main policy, or is it subject to its own formula using some or all of the info used to generate a SD&P quote? Or is it a fixed cost on top of the SD&P?

With aviva (1b), so no carrying of goods, it is free for me.

I think there is a 5k km limit pa. Would have to pay if I was doing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Car: 2011 Ford Focus Zetec

Licence: Full, 3 years. No Penalty Points/Convictions.

NCD: 2 years

Cover: Fully Comprehensive

Price: Renewal that came from current company: €1900ish (Up 40%). Best quote, from Aviva: €1350.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Male
    40 years old
    Dublin location
    07 Passat 1.6 petrol
    No penalty points
    9+ NCB
    Full Irish licence
    Less than 10k km per year
    3rd party fire and theft

FBD - renewal quote - €472

25plus.ie - €484 (would quote for comprehensive only)
    123.ie - €390

Went with 123.ie

123.ie
    Queries to clarify with them -

1. If u claim for windscreen - will they
    (A) take away 10% of your NCB
    Or
    (B) add 10% claims loading as a claims a claim !!!
    Answer - (B)

2. If your car is broken into , do they
    (A) make you pay an excess before repairs are done to your car ( bit like getting robbed twice)
    Or
    (B) reduce your ncb,by anything up to all of years earned
    Or
    (C) add a claims loading as a claims a claim
    Answer - can be all of the above

just imagine- if you're penalised for all the simple things in motoring like windscreen, Fire & theft and maybe 3 penalty points then god knows what actual cover/costa you have in event of crash

Like they say

If it sounds too good to be true....

123.ie

Or
    Answer - (B)

(A) make you pay an excess before repairs are done to your car ( bit like getting robbed twice)
    Or
    Or

just imagine- if you're penalised for all the simple things in motoring like windscreen, Fire & theft and maybe 3 penalty points then god knows what actual cover/costa you have in event of crash

Like they say

Tbh - I view insurance as covering me in the event of a big accident / incident. I'd just pay for a broken windshield / window /minor things myself. Judging by the variety of quotes others receive there doesn't seem to be much logic to insurance company pricing - so I'll continue to stick to the lowest quote.

123.ie

Or
    Answer - (B)

Or
    Or

Like they say

Tbh - I view insurance as covering me in the event of a big accident / incident - I expect the regulator / courts would take a dim view of 123 if they attempted to avoid their obligations in a major accident.

I'd rather just pay for a broken windshield / window /minor things myself.

Judging by the variety of quotes others receive there doesn't seem to be much logic to insurance company pricing - so I'll continue to stick to the lowest quote.

• Advertisement

kaymin wrote: »
    Judging by the variety of quotes others receive there doesn't seem to be much logic to insurance company pricing - so I'll continue to stick to the lowest quote.

Piece of paper on the window is all most people are buying really now and in the future.

Even the big companies that used to trade on good customer service, "no hassle" etc are throwing in random terms and conditions and complications and punishments for this non fault claim or that windscreen claim.

It's a race to the bottom if that's what they are at - there's always a leaner more aggressive competitor willing to sell that piece of paper (which you can't ever ever ever claim on except under catastrophic conditions) a little cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Even the big companies that used to trade on good customer service, "no hassle" etc are throwing in random terms and conditions and complications and punishments for this non fault claim or that windscreen claim.

You'll find that most of the terms and conditions you mention were always there but in the good times insurers didn't enforce them as rigorously as they do now. This led to customer loyalty and everybody was happy. It's a different world out there now

You'll find that most of the terms and conditions you mention were always there but in the good times insurers didn't enforce them as rigorously as they do now. This led to customer loyalty and everybody was happy. It's a different world out there now

I don't think you're lying, I think you are being honest and that you really believe that your work isn't based on some makey uppey decisions made by people up the line with a shakey grasp of reality...

Really though?
    Assumptions: You (and any other driver of the car you wish to insure) Have not been involved in any accident or claim, regardless of blame, in the past 5 years.

Assumptions: Your car must not be over 10 years old.

Assumptions: No aftermarket audio equipment.

Assumptions: Any quote is subject to a pain in the hole mobile app or a poorly fitted box of electronics added to your car. Also, your car must not have any modifications... ammm except our modifications.

Assumptions: Your car does not have variable valve timing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I don't think you're lying, I think you are being honest and that you really believe that your work isn't based on some makey uppey decisions made by people up the line with a shakey grasp of reality...

All I'm saying is that a lot of the same policy wordings and exclusions were there in the past but underwriters and claims handlers had authority to make decisions on whether slight misrepresentations were genuine errors and pay claims, or whether they were deliberate falsehoods and decline them. These days, the letter of the policy is adhered to without exception. I'll agree that the implementation of this new order can often be over zealous and inexperienced handlers can and do get it wrong on occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 1 malcolme

My Wife who just want to drop off children to school daily (5km/day):

Car: 2003 Opel Meriva

Licence: Provisional irish, first time driver.

Cover: Third party Fire and Theft

Price: €5244

Company: "Liberty" Insurance

Before ridiculous price from axa ~ €3700 (after 3 months she give up to make payments).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

malcolme wrote: »
    My Wife who just want to drop off children to school daily (5km/day):

Car: 2003 Opel Meriva

Licence: Provisional irish, first time driver.

Cover: Third party Fire and Theft

Price: €5244

Company: "Liberty" Insurance

Before ridiculous price from axa ~ €3700 (after 3 months she give up to make payments).

Is that a 1.6? You might be better off buying a more recent, smaller car if possible. You'll probably recoup the cost in reduced insurance over a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Car: 2006 VW Passat estate 1.9 TDi

Licence: Full Irish held since 2009

No claims: Full NCB since 2009

Cover: Comprehensive

Claims/ Penalty points: None

Renewal quote: €1,210

Company: Aviva

This was an increase from €695 last year, that's an increase of 73%

Did a quick bit of quoting online and got a TPFT quote of €655 from liberty. Would prefer comprehensive obviously but they were looking for €900 for that. Also tried Axa, Alliance, AIG, AA, 123.ie and got quotes similar or greater than my renewal quote with Aviva

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Zonda999 wrote: »

Car: 2006 VW Passat estate 1.9 TDi

Licence: Full Irish held since 2009

No claims: Full NCB since 2009

Cover: Comprehensive

Claims/ Penalty points: None

Renewal quote: €1,210

Company: Aviva

This was an increase from €695 last year, that's an increase of 73%

Did a quick bit of quoting online and got a TPFT quote of €655 from liberty. Would prefer comprehensive obviously but they were looking for €900 for that. Also tried Axa, Alliance, AIG, AA, 123.ie and got quotes similar or greater than my renewal quote with Aviva

Have you tried Bank of Ireland, they were offering excellent premiums for quite a few that tried them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭benny79

Licence: full 10+ yrs

No claims: 10+ but all insurance companies only consider 5, which is disgraceful!!
    Cover: Fully comp
    Price: €531
    Company: An Post

Car: 2LT TDI Passat 140bhp..

I changed last year as the were much cheaper and are a broker...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Have you tried Bank of Ireland, they were offering excellent premiums for quite a few that tried them.

I did but unfortunately its a similar price to my renewal quotation. As well, just a minute ago, I tried another online quotation with Liberty...I increased the value of my car from €4500 to €5200 and added my Mother (In her sixties) to the policy and it magically dropped to €699 for comprehensive (Or €555 for TPFT). I'll chance a few more places but I doubt I'll do better than that.

Advertisement