Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Was the email not in the the trash folder?

Obviously you deleted the trash folder as well since you couldn't find it. Never empty the trash folder, they usually delete automatically after a few weeks.

She went on a spring clean of her e mail the day after I did the quote for her. Impeccable timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭CR 7

Car: 2001 Toyota Celica 190 (UK import)

NCD: 7 years

Licence: 7 years Full, no points

Cover: Fully comp

Best quote: €800 with Aviva

Up from around €625 last year, only thing that's changed is an extra year of ncd. Went through all of the other insurers I could find, because the car is now past the magic 15 year barrier and has a hypercar sized engine (1.8) as well as being a UK import, I got maybe 2 or 3 other quotes and all well into the thousands. I maybe use it for 50 miles a week so next year I might just get a bike or leave the country or something. Anything to not be forced to get a less than 10 year old 1 litre KIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ComputerTech

My car insurance renewal from Chill Insurance arrive in my door 3 weeks ago. It had gone from €380.00 last year to €618.30 this year. Some important details first ... I am a 57 year old male with a 2003 peugeot 206 1.1, driving almost 40 years and NEVER having an Insurance claim in my life (Thank God) with a full C & D License and never having a Court Conviction on my license and never having Penalty Points. I had Heart Attack in 2011 and the VALUE of my Car is €1000.00 and lastly I am retired ... I think I have everything covered. I phoned CHILL Insurance and asked were the joking and did they get quotes from 14 Insurance Companies as stated in there Advertisement ? ... the best they could do was waver their fee and give it to me for €580.00 and that was it ...where they were concerned. I should add for that I had 3rd Party F&T, Breakdown Assist. Now for the interesting part ... I phone "Quote Devil" Insurance and explained as above and they told me that they provide "Very Basic Insurance" for older cars. As the car was 2003 the chances of me calming for Fire & Theft were most unlikely. He then went on to ask how much miles would I do within a 12 month period ... I told him around 10 to 12 thousand a year So for the Basic Insurance just 3rd party only I got a quote for €295.00 for which i have now taken out and I am delighted !!! ... The name of the UNDERWRITING COMPANY ARE CALLED "PATRONA" ... and one more point I was able to insurance by paying a deposit of €88.00 and 9 payments of €29.00 over the year. I really hope this can help someone out there ... People are being ripped by big Car Insurance companies. Sincerely ComputerTech:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

My insurance has come down by over €60.

New policy with liberty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

My car insurance renewal from Chill Insurance arrive in my door 3 weeks ago. It had gone from €380.00 last year to €618.30 this year. Some important details first ... I am a 57 year old male with a 2003 peugeot 206 1.1, driving almost 40 years and NEVER having an Insurance claim in my life (Thank God) with a full C & D License and never having a Court Conviction on my license and never having Penalty Points. I had Heart Attack in 2011 and the VALUE of my Car is €1000.00 and lastly I am retired ... I think I have everything covered. I phoned CHILL Insurance and asked were the joking and did they get quotes from 14 Insurance Companies as stated in there Advertisement ? ... the best they could do was waver their fee and give it to me for €580.00 and that was it ...where they were concerned. I should add for that I had 3rd Party F&T, Breakdown Assist. Now for the interesting part ... I phone "Quote Devil" Insurance and explained as above and they told me that they provide "Very Basic Insurance" for older cars. As the car was 2003 the chances of me calming for Fire & Theft were most unlikely. He then went on to ask how much miles would I do within a 12 month period ... I told him around 10 to 12 thousand a year So for the Basic Insurance just 3rd party only I got a quote for €295.00 for which i have now taken out and I am delighted !!! ... The name of the UNDERWRITING COMPANY ARE CALLED "PATRONA" ... and one more point I was able to insurance by paying a deposit of €88.00 and 9 payments of €29.00 over the year. I really hope this can help someone out there ... People are being ripped by big Car Insurance companies. Sincerely ComputerTech:)

Fair play to ya, I wish I had read your post back in March when I renewed on my 2001 Rav4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Could you have stuck windscreen/driving other cars on if you'd wanted to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭honda boi

I'm on my partners policy
    She's 23 and I'm 23.
    Car: ford cmax 2004 1.6 diesel.
    Policy: third party fire and theft.
    0 penalty points.
    Both full licences
    4 years no claims
    Unfortunately can't move insurer as i have an open injury claim from a non fault claim
    Price:renewal price:€ 717,rang them and dropped it to 680€ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ComputerTech

Could you have stuck windscreen/driving other cars on if you'd wanted to?

I am not sure, but I would think if you pay extra for it I would doubt if they would refuse money !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Buffman

I see a couple of people on the thread went with BOI, just wondering if everything went ok for you?

I'm going through the quote process at the moment and would consider them, except they're getting slated over on the talk to BOI forum for lack of answering phones and long delays in getting documents out. I don't want to let myself in for a month of chasing them for the sake of €50.

(I'll post up a detailed list of my quotes when I eventually get sorted, they're all over the place so far!)

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Male 30
    2007 Punto 1.4
    2 years NCB
    1 year Full licence
    Liberty Insurance tpft

Quoted €715. Did their online quote generator with the same details and got €453. Rang them up and they matched it.

Very happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Was on wife's policy for years, NCB for both of us for years, never had an accident or tip (knocks wood). I had to go get a policy on a 06D yaris so daughter could go on it as well and learn to drive.

So me, wife and daughter on policy for 1 litre Yaris,me as main driver. Daughter went though Aviva drivers training, got graded Category 3 by tester so Aviva recognise her as having a full drivers license but still has only a provisional.

Last years quote was 1100 euro for all of us. Fully comp with NCB step back. This year its over 1300euro. Got onto them and got it down to 1250 as I dropped value of Yaris down. Best they could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Rates are up an average 20% thus in-line unfortunitely , her full lic rate will only stand for year the Aviva test done

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

42 male

07 Citroen c4 grand Picasso 1.6 diesel

Full license over 20 years
    No points
    Full bonus

Wife 37 on policy

Full license 18 years
    No points

Axa €552 comp all the perks plus step back
    Alliance €532 very similar policy

Rang around all between €700 - €900

Liberty on line wanted €1950.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

Update

25plus.ie

Comp standard €411
    Comp xtra €449 all bells and whistles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Buffman

daveyjoe wrote: »
    Quoted €715. Did their online quote generator with the same details and got €453. Rang them up and they matched it.

Ye, I've been coming across that aswell, they seem to pull random figures out of thin air. You're better off ringing them and doing it online, I've gotten a few large variations both ways.

The strangest/craziest for me so far has been 123, last week online quote for around €650.

Couldn't find the email with ref number yesterday when I was going to call them and thought it'd be quicker to do online again. Exact same details, over €1000. Tried changing named drivers to see if it'd be any lower, no joy. Gave up and didn't ring them.

This morning I get a text, 'We see you recently got a quote blah blah Just click on this link and use ref no ### to refresh your quote'.

Great I think, maybe somebody had a look and detected an error online or something and corrected the price. No, click on the link and get back into my quote, all same details, now just below €1200!:eek: Ok, I get it, you don't want my business!

My quest continues.:D

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

38 Male
    2002 BMW E39 525i (2.5L 189BHP)
    2 years NCB
    4 years Named no claims
    Full license 5 years
    3 points

Renewal from existing insurer:

123.ie Fully Comp €1189.39
    123.ie 3rd P, F&T €783.37

(In the 3rd PF&T quote I also dropped the €20 Key Care coverage or whatever that's called)

I was wondering if it was the car age or power so asked the 123 agent for quotes on two newer cars, a 180BHP 2007 Saab 9-5 (2L petrol) and a 110BHP 2007 Toyota Avensis (1.6L petrol), both with a car value of €2000 same as the BMW, just to contrast:

123.ie 3rd P, F&T on the Saab €856.59
    123.ie 3rd P, F&T on the Toyota €782.06 (nearly identical to the BMW)

Here's some other quotes so far:

25plus.ie online quote: 3rd P, F&T on my 525i: €1,539.91
    Zurich via QuoteDevil on phone: 3rd P, F&T on my 525i: €1,672

The QuoteDevil agent actually said not to bother calling anyone else, just renew with 123 as noone will beat their quote of €783. I'll try another couple of places but I think he may be right.

Other notes:
    • Two years ago, with no NCB, my 123.ie Fully Comp was €630.
    • Putting a 71 year old parent on as a Named Driver on 123.ie (RSA) reduces cost by €30.
    • Putting a 71 year old parent on as a Named Driver on BOI (RSA) increases cost by €80.
    • The 3 points adds €97 to my 123 quote.

Just got an online quote from BOI of €644.25. This may not be valid, depends if they give credit for both 2 years no claims plus the previous named driver no claims (the 123 agent told me I can get credit for one or the other but not both).

Update: I've just bought the BOI policy as I've seen folks mention it going up afterwards. Don't think I'll do better this year. I think they'll honour the named driving as it was on an RSA policy - I'll update here if they don't.

Update 2: I had a typo in the BOI form, in the Named Driver DOB. Corrected increases the BOI quote to €714.15. It's still the best quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Mine was renewed today.

47 year old male
    Passat diesel 130bhp 2002 valued at €2,000 (optimist!)
    Full license for 30 years
    Full no claims in my own name
    3 points for no NCT displayed

Insurance TPFT with 123.ie last year was €433
    Renewal from 123.ie was €588

Changed car 2 days ago to a 05 Volvo S40 2.0D (136bhp) Value at €3000

Renewal changed to €573 TPFT which includes the €20 keycare thing and stepback protection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

And so it starts again, the fun of trying to get your 17 year old perfectly road worthy car insured.

I have been refused a quote by 11 companies so far, Chill.ie just quoted me €1309 3rd party fire and theft :mad: my current insurer (AA) is quoting €300 dearer than last years quote.

Female, 37
    9 years no claims bonus
    no penalty points
    Peugeot 306 1.4l 1999

Seriously it's ridiculous, it's so time consuming and frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

11 ? Are they individual declines or a broker saying 7 of its underwriters saying no all in1 go..

Are there any other factors like

Learner licence
    Young drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

cplwhisper wrote: »
    11 ? Are they individual declines or a broker saying 7 of its underwriters saying no all in1 go..

Are there any other factors like

Learner licence
    Young drivers

No, that's me going online to the likes of BOI, 123.ie getting quotes and then rejections because of the cars age.

I have a full driving license for 3 years, 9 years no claims bonus and am a 37 year old female.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Someone could be on to a winner buying the flood of 10 year old cars thats gonna come on the market here and shipping them to europe where the insurance market isin't rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Someone could be on to a winner buying the flood of 10 year old cars thats gonna come on the market here and shipping them to europe where the insurance market isin't rotten.

Isn't most of the insurance companies here those foreign ones or underwritten by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

My quote from bell insurance

2003 Mazda 6 , 2.0TS
    0 free years
    825 / Year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Asmooh wrote: »

2003 Mazda 6 , 2.0TS
    0 free years
    825 / Year

Is that starting from scratch ,or they allowing for being a named driver

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

35 yr old Male

2005 MKV Golf GTI

No penalty points, 7 years NCB, 10+ years licence and insurance in own name.

Only ever been quoted by two companies for this car - Aviva and 123.ie

Aviva renewal has come in at 809.25 while 123.ie are quoting 827 - up from 650 last year.

The quote includes my wife as named driver on provisional license and is fully comp.

None of the other companies seem to provide any quote online.

Any other GTI owners out there with tips on insurance?

cute geoge wrote: »
    Asmooh wrote: »

2003 Mazda 6 , 2.0TS
    0 free years
    825 / Year

Is that starting from scratch ,or they allowing for being a named driver
    from scratch :( since my Ncb is Dutch and they don't count that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

If only rest of the Europe was driving on the left :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Asmooh wrote:
    from scratch since my Ncb is Dutch and they don't count that

Axa did for my better half but we had to get it officially translated.

Asmooh wrote:

AXA quoted me about 2k / Year for this car

• Advertisement

Asmooh wrote:

Axa quoted me 2k / year

Advertisement