Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

_Puma_ wrote: »

Car: 02 VW PASSATT 1.9TDI (130bhp)

NCD: Full 3 years

Licence: Full 4 years, no points

Cover: 3rd Party F&T

Last year: €820 with Bump Insurance(300 Excess)

Renewal letter came last week for €1200 (500 excess)

Shopped around and got a quote with Bank of Ireland (RSA) €1000 (no Excess) with windscreen cover

Dodged a bullet here

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/zenith-insurance-to-withdraw-from-irish-motor-market-1.2768042

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Car: 03 Audi A4 1.9 TDI

NCD: Full.

Licence: Full 9 years, no points

Cover: Fully comp, protected

2016 renewal quote: 629

2015 price paid: 760

Insurer: Zurich (with them 8 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Hi, any recommendations for Class III insurance? I'm currently KennCo via Chill. Last year €420, this year €850
    No points, no claims, full license etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Not many do that cover. Axa do, depending on use / occupation

Not many do that cover. Axa do, depending on use / occupation

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Look like ill be leaving liberty insurance

I have been with Quinn direct since I first started driving

for years it has averaged about €500

2 years ago it was around 600

last year I was quoted over 800 and after ringing them they brought it down to €713

My new renewal is €1008, after ringing them they are not going to change it, and offered no reason why other than i cant do any better and we don't compete with other insurance groups after i told them the quotes i received from axa and aib

FYI I have over 11 years no claims bonus. 8+ years full driving license, no claims or penalty points.

I just tried axa and they quoted €869

Any other long time customers get a ridiculous quote from liberty recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

slade_x wrote: »
    Look like ill be leaving liberty insurance

I have been with Quinn direct since I first started driving

for years it has averaged about €500

2 years ago it was around 600

last year I was quoted over 800 and after ringing them they brought it down to €713

My new renewal is €1008, after ringing them they are not going to change it, and offered no reason why other than i cant do any better and we don't compete with other insurance groups after i told them the quotes i received from axa and aib

FYI I have over 11 years no claims bonus. 8+ years full driving license, no claims or penalty points.

I just tried axa and they quoted €869

Any other long time customers get a ridiculous quote from liberty recently?

I was with Quinn myself for years until 2008. Had the same issue as yourself. My then renewal was €1300. AXA quoted €850. Been with AXA ever since as whenever they have been undercut by the competition they always better it. However this year my insurance jumped from €500 to just over €1000. In the end i got it for €750. Still cheaper than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭omicron

Car: 02 1.2 Petrol

NCD: 3 Years

Licence: Full 5 years, no points

Cover: TPFT

2016 renewal quote: 608 (648 in the post, 608 when I rang for a discount)

2015 price paid: 568

Insurer: Aviva

Liberty quoted 700, everyone else was in the 950-2000 range

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Car: 2010 Audi A4 2.0 Sport

NCD: 5 Years

Licence: Full 8 years, 5 points

Cover: Comprehensive

2016 renewal: 740 (Allianz through Glennons)

2015 price paid: 775 (Prestige)

Prestige were 670 for renewal but avoided them due to speculation re Zenith leaving Ireland. Most others were around the 950 to 1300 mark, with the odd crazy 4000ish quote (Axa)...

Glennons have a deal with CAI (I'm a member) so that was what got it so cheap in comparison. to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Car: 08 Fiat Bravo 1.4 (90bhp)

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points

Cover: Fully comp, fully protected NCD, drive other cars, roadside assistance

Best quote: €688 - AIG. Up €200 since last year with one change

My how things have changed since last year.
    cantdecide wrote: »
    This is how I fared in the end...

Car: 08 Fiat Bravo 1.4 (90bhp)

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points

Cover: Fully comp, step back, drive other cars, roadside assistance

Best quote: €484 - AIG

Got my renewal in the post from AIG for €633 but I knew I wanted to bump up to fully protected NCD (within weeks of renewing last year, someone reversed into my quarter panel and fecked off). I rang around everywhere else (as far as I could- see my thread about my difficulties regarding previous insurance claim history on my car.

From the quotes I got, AIG were a fraction higher than others but I chose the convenience of just renewing makes life so much easier- I can't really communicate with the outside world from work and I've had to take the day off just to get this far.

The rest;

FBD €759 by phone (giving a discount for paying up front)
    BOI €675 online
    Liberty €656
    25Plus (AIG) €683
    Aviva €688 (plus cost of engineers report...)
    Allianz €645 (plus cost of engineers report...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭MortGoldman

Car: 2002 BMW 530d M-Sport Auto

Licence: 8 years Full, no points

Cover: Fully comp with step back

Best quote: €784 with Aviva.

Insured the exact same car two years ago for 500 euro at same level with no details changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Just a thought. There's a very good case for stating your general area.

I'm in east Co.Cork.

There are rating areas for all counties and some cities too so risk accessment comes into the calculation of premium too.
    Example-
    Galway city rate is about 10% more expensive that Galway county.
    This is claim statistic linked.

Dngl more expensive than most countries as is Louth . Some areas in Dublin are dirt cheap and others are crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

cplwhisper wrote: »
    There are rating areas for all counties and some cities too so risk accessment comes into the calculation of premium too.
    Example-

Dngl more expensive than most countries as is Louth . Some areas in Dublin are dirt cheap and others are crazy

Are the dirt cheap areas of Dublin in D4?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I wrote a letter to the Minister for Transport a few weeks ago regarding the high cost of insurance especially regarding older vehicles. Anyway he sent it onto Michael Noonan and his people got back to me. Here's what they said:

"Dear Jesus,

The Minister for Finance, Michael Noonan TD, has asked me to reply to your email of 23rd June 2016 regarding the increasing cost of insurance, which was forwarded to him by the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform, Paschal Donohoe TD.

It is important to note that the Minister for Finance is responsible for the development of the legal framework governing financial regulation. Neither he, nor the Central Bank of Ireland, may interfere in the provision or pricing of insurance products. The EU framework for insurance expressly prohibits Member States from adopting rules which require insurance companies to obtain prior approval of the pricing or terms and conditions of insurance products.

The provision of insurance cover and the price at which it is offered is a commercial matter for insurance companies and is based on an assessment of the risks they are willing to accept and adequate provisioning to meet those risks. This does not, however, preclude the Government from introducing measures which may, in the longer term, lead to a better claims environment that could facilitate a reduction in claims costs.

The question of the cost and availability of insurance is a complex one involving a number of Government Departments, State Bodies and private sector organisations. The Minister for Finance has established a task force in this Department to undertake a Review of Policy in the Insurance Sector. An important element of this work is an assessment of the factors contributing to the increasing cost of insurance. Progress on the review is being overseen by a Working Group on the Cost of Insurance, with representatives from the Department of Finance, the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation, the Department of Justice and Equality, the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport, the Central Bank of Ireland, the National Transport Authority, the Personal Injuries Assessment Board and the State Claims Agency.

This Working Group, which is chaired by Minister of State Eoghan Murphy TD, will identify issues that can be addressed on a more immediate basis and also those that require more long-term policy solutions. The Working Group will meet regularly over the coming months and will report with recommendations to the Minister for Finance at end 2016. A broad range of issues affecting the cost of motor insurance will be examined by the Working Group, including the issues raised by you in your letter.

Finally, Insurance Ireland operates a free Insurance Information Service for those who have queries, complaints or difficulties in relation to obtaining insurance. In the event that a person is unable to obtain a quotation for motor insurance or feels that the premium proposed or the terms are so excessive that it amounts to a refusal to give them motor insurance, they should contact Insurance Ireland, 5 Harbourmaster Place, IFSC, Dublin 1, Telephone +353 1 6761820, quoting the Declined Cases Agreement.

I hope that the above information is of assistance.

Yours sincerely,

Private Secretary to the Minister for Finance. The Minister is a Designated Public Official under the Regulation of Lobbying Act, 2015 (details available on www.lobbying.ie) "

JamboMac wrote: »
    Example-

Are the dirt cheap areas of Dublin in D4?

Nope as if claim for theft damage in that locality then the settlement normally higher as they like their swank you cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Full EU licence for over 10 years, driving in Ireland under own policy for over 10 years
    Car: 2010 1.2l petrol
    NCD: 7 years, but I had a windscreen claim last year
    No penalty points etc
    Cover: comprehensive, breakdown cover included

Renewal quote (AIG): 744 € - about 350-400 more than last year (can't remember exact amount), about 100% increase.

I got online quotes from all insurers that would quote me (some don't want EU licence holders), cheapest were Campion, Aviva and the AA all around 650 €, most expensive were the banks all around 950 €. Most others came in around 800.

I went with Campion in the end, got it down to around 600 €.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Full Licence: 8 years
    0 penalty points
    Car: 2009 Ford Mondeo 1.8 diesel
    NCD: 8 years
    Fully comp with open driving, protected NCD
    Premium: €467

No idea how but my premium is down this year. Paid €520 last year but had 2 penalty points on my license at the time.
    Was expecting a crazy renewal quote but very pleasantly surprised!

Last years premium would have had 17% pp loading this why premium calc better this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

lfc200 wrote: »
    Full Licence: 8 years
    0 penalty points
    Car: 2009 Ford Mondeo 1.8 diesel
    NCD: 8 years
    Fully comp with open driving, protected NCD
    Premium: €467

No idea how but my premium is down this year. Paid €520 last year but had 2 penalty points on my license at the time.
    Was expecting a crazy renewal quote but very pleasantly surprised!

This is insurance gone mad. I'm paying €300 more than you and i'm 4 years older in a 1.6 diesel focus. They really do pluck numbers out of their arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

KC161 wrote: »
    They really do pluck numbers out of their arse.

I'm convinced they have a tank of manatees with number balls selecting premiums, a large South Park...

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Last years premium would have had 17% pp loading this why premium calc better this year

Didn't think 2 penalty points really affected the premium? That's what I had heard anyway must have heard wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Mine only rose by 7% to €524 this year thankfully. Last year it rose by 66%! I rang them last year and got it down to 25% increase.

I'm male, 31, nearly 10 years full license, full NCB, no penalty points, 2008 Ford Fiesta (1.25 L), living in Waterford city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Wife's Renewal Details,

Female 51 years old.
    Car, 2007 Honda Jazz SE, 1.3
    Full No Claims.
    Aviva Insurance.
    Last years premium was €394.85
    This years renewal is €324.94

Probably just go with the renewal as I don't think we'll beat it.

Just renewed but put my lad on the policy as a named driver, he is 23, had a few lessons but not passed his test yet,
    renewal with him included is €669, so thats an additional €345 for him.
    just to be clear, he is a named driver and will only use the car a little, eg. were not fronting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

lfc200 wrote: »
    Didn't think 2 penalty points really affected the premium? That's what I had heard anyway must have heard wrong.
    They didn't last year using the online calcs as my sis has 2 and putting them in didn't change it. Don't know where that 17% is after coming out of...thin air like everything else.

Aviva process 33% discount if neither driving has p-points and 17% discount if only 2 pp between drivers... 'That came from ' Aviva T&C book...

Post Insurance(prior known as One Direct) are underwritten by Aviva or AIG depending on the rates of the day, but post instance allow 27% of no PP( thus load 27% if PP obtained.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭griffzinho

Just got my renewal from No Nonsense. Was €470 in 2015 and now up to €710.

Male 40, 2008 Audi A4 Estate 2.0TDI.

I did have a claim settled from 2014 recently but had no claims discount cover so have my full 50%.

I am just wondering if I go for quotes elsewhere, do I put in 2 years claims free driving or 5 years as per my no claims???

I'd appreciate any information!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

griffzinho wrote: »
    Just got my renewal from No Nonsense. Was €470 in 2015 and now up to €710.

Male 40, 2008 Audi A4 Estate 2.0TDI.

I did have a claim settled from 2014 recently but had no claims discount cover so have my full 50%.

I am just wondering if I go for quotes elsewhere, do I put in 2 years claims free driving or 5 years as per my no claims???

I'd appreciate any information!?

There are usually separate questions for scenarios like that. Your NCD is 5 years so you put that, but you'll have to enter your claim details too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Got a quote for the missus last Monday, came in at a reasonable 650. She proceeded to delete the e mail with the quote number on it. Re did the quote on Thursday, literally exactly the same details with the same company, 1200 quid. Rang them and got them to find the original 650 quote which she took. It makes absolutely no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Got a quote for the missus last Monday, came in at a reasonable 650. She proceeded to delete the e mail with the quote number on it. Re did the quote on Thursday, literally exactly the same details with the same company, 1200 quid. Rang them and got them to find the original 650 quote which she took. It makes absolutely no sense.

Was the email not in the the trash folder?

Obviously you deleted the trash folder as well since you couldn't find it. Never empty the trash folder, they usually delete automatically after a few weeks.

Advertisement