Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

Have you a quote reference number for the €455?

Quotes are in general valid for 30 days.

I have the email detailing the quote. No reference number. It gives me two options standard insurance or insurance plus extra benefits. When I logged into my account and tried to purchase the price jumped. My sister moved last week without any trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

lolliedog wrote: »
    I have the email detailing the quote. No reference number. It gives me two options standard insurance or insurance plus extra benefits. When I logged into my account and tried to purchase the price jumped. My sister moved last week without any trouble.

If you received an email then I would have thought there would be a reference number on it.

Was it a quick quote that coughed up the €455 I wonder?

Quick quotes are generally bare bones so if you want things like bonus protection it costs more so perhaps thats what the differential is.

It wasn't a quick quote. Full quote. I renewed my sister's quote with them earlier this week. It would be interesting if someone who has got a quote recently from them recently presses the buy button and see if the price changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

It wasn't a quick quote. Full quote. I renewed my sister's quote with them earlier this week. It would be interesting if someone who has got a quote recently from them recently presses the buy button and see if the price changes.

I have a few emails from them, no quote reference number in the mails either. Strange, most others do give a reference.

Ring them Monday morning so and tell them you want it for €455.

• Advertisement

I have a few emails from them, no quote reference number in the mails either. Strange, most others do give a reference.

I bet if you log onto your 25plus account you will have to refresh the screen and the price will have gone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Car: A5 3.0TDI quattro

NCD: 7 years+

Licence: Full UK 20 years +, 3 points

Cover: Fully comp, step back protection, break-down cover.

Last year's premium: €420 AIG via chill

Renewal with existing insurer: €540 (+29%)

Haven't tried ringing round for a better quote as yet. Don't need breakdown so might get it cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

Car: 2003 Renault Laguna Estate 1.9 Diesel

NCD: 1 Year Own name + 1 year named driver

Licence: Full IE 7+ years, 0 Points

Cover: Third Party Fire and theft, break-down cover, 3rd party driving other cars, Class B business use

Last year's premium: €775

Renewal with existing insurer: €698 including €50 when haggling over the phone

Best new price: €850 with BoxyMo.ie - for 10,000km which increases if they find you to be a safe driver (tracker in your car)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Car: 03 VW Golf 1.4 P

NCD: Full 8 Years

Licence: Full 8+ years, no points

Cover: Third Party, protected

Best quote: €389 - Liberty

Everyone else, including brokers, considerably higher. This will be my third year with Liberty. I've a month left before renewal, it's been suggested I wait closer to the time and see if pricing changes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Gender M Age 44 Car 06 CMax 1.8TDCI License Full German, held 20+ years, no points Cover Fully Comp Last year's quote from No Nonsense 347 This year's quote 428 Best quote? Will check and edit this later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Male
    04 fabia vrs
    Full Irish 10+ years
    Ncd 10+
    Last year 495 with allianz
    Renewal this year 838
    Best new quote 615 with ... allianz

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

My scenario is slightly different as I've recently done VRT on a car from the North

Car:Vauxhall Astra 1.7 Diesel
    Licence and NCB:2 years

Best quote: 749 with 25plus.ie
    Worst: 1800 with Aviva

Decided to go with Glennon Brokers (Axa) for 851 with all extra

I tried calling 25plus to query a few things before committing to buying but took me 45mins just to get through and when I did get to speak to someone they seemed in a huge rush to get me off the call and my questions weren't answered.

So forked out €100 more than my best quote but for the ability to been able to speak to someone and the level off service I got through Glennons this is worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Age - 27

Location - Meath

Car - Vw passat 1.9tdi

NCB - 1 year

Full Licence - 7 years

No claims/penalty points

Last year's policy with Liberty €1,850 third party (yes i actually paid it) Got the renewal letter last week €2,120!!....... Unbelievabe and laughable. I will be 28 in a few months.

Axa - €1,830
    AA - €1,650
    Aviva - €1,550
    Kennco €1,780

Tried them all, cheapest was Aviva. I refuse to pay any more than €900. So it looks like i will be Quitting my job and going on the dole as i can't afford to get to work. No public transport services my route.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

risteard7 wrote: »
    Age - 27

Location - Meath

Car - Vw passat 1.9tdi

NCB - 1 year

Full Licence - 7 years

No claims/penalty points

Last year's policy with Liberty €1,850 third party (yes i actually paid it) Got the renewal letter last week €2,120!!....... Unbelievabe and laughable. I will be 28 in a few months.

Axa - €1,830
    AA - €1,650
    Aviva - €1,550
    Kennco €1,780

Tried them all, cheapest was Aviva. I refuse to pay any more than €900. So it looks like i will be Quitting my job and going on the dole as i can't afford to get to work. No public transport services my route.

I paid around €500 in a 1.4 and I'm 33 with 10+ years NCD and a full clean licence since 2001. What reason had you to believe your insurance would half after a year? I've never heard of insurance companies doing that. My first insurance in a 1.4 was IR£3,885 back in 2000 and my second was IR£2,800 and like you, my choice was pay it or walk or hitchhike.

Simona1986 wrote: »

Car: 2003 Renault Laguna Estate 1.9 Diesel

NCD: 1 Year Own name + 1 year named driver

Licence: Full IE 7+ years, 0 Points

Cover: Third Party Fire and theft, break-down cover, 3rd party driving other cars, Class B business use

Last year's premium: €775

Renewal with existing insurer: €698 including €50 when haggling over the phone

Best new price: €850 with BoxyMo.ie - for 10,000km which increases if they find you to be a safe driver (tracker in your car)

Who is that insurance with Simona? If you dont mind me asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Car: 2009 Vectra 1.9cdti sri 150bhp
    Licence: Full Irish held for 8 years
    No claims: 8 years
    Premium: €525, full comp, full no claim protect

Previous year: €400, full comp, full no claim protect.
    Car: 2005 Astra 1.3cdti 90bhp

The wife is named driver, 3 years no claims and licence for 3 with insurance in her own name.

cantdecide wrote: »
    I paid around €500 in a 1.4 and I'm 33 with 10+ years NCD and a full clean licence since 2001. What reason had you to believe your insurance would half after a year? I've never heard of insurance companies doing that. My first insurance in a 1.4 was IR£3,885 back in 2000 and my second was IR£2,800 and like you, my choice was pay it or walk or hitchhike.

Yes but back in 2000 you we're 18.. i'm nearly 28. Last years quote was rediculous anyway at €1,800ish, i was desperate so had take it. I'm not paying silly money just so i can be waved through a Garda checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Car: 01 Subaru Impreza WRX estate (218bhp)

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points

Cover: Fully comp, protected, breakdown, windscreen cover.

Best quote: €599 through a local broker with a company called ignite. Could have got it slightly cheaper but the policy was worse, higher excess + step back only. That's with herself on the policy too.

Plesently surprised given it was €720 last year, although my insurer last year quoted me €1870 renewal. Brokers were grand price wise, the bigger companies (axa aviva ect) wanted either a ransom or wouldnt quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Yes but back in 2000 you we're 18.. i'm nearly 28. Last years quote was rediculous anyway at €1,800ish, i was desperate so had take it. I'm not paying silly money just so i can be waved through a Garda checkpoint.

We all pay too much so good luck to you but how did you come up with €900 for this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Did you have a claim since you have a licence for 7 years and only 1 ncb, other factors like your work might make you high risk, not sure where the car falls though.

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    We all pay too much so good luck to you but how did you come up with €900 for this year?

Thanks... i think around €900 would be a reasonable quote?

JamboMac wrote: »
    Did you have a claim since you have a licence for 7 years and only 1 ncb, other factors like your work might make you high risk, not sure where the car falls though.

No i have 1 years Named driving experience from 2010. That has expired now that i'ts over 2 years. I went back to college for 4 years so i wasn't driving/didn't need a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭sidcon

Car: 09 Toyota Avensis 2L diesel

NCD: 6 years no claims

Licence: Full IE 7+ years, 7 points = 3 speeding 2 bus lane, 2 careless driving

Cover: fully comp with wife named driver

Last year's premium: €859

Renewal with brokers €628 fully comp and step back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Car: 07 Mondeo,1.8 Petrol,125bhp
    Full Licence: 8 years
    NCB: 5+
    Cover: Fully comp,protected NCB,OH as named driver.
    Last years premium 600 Euro
    Best Quote (Renewal,AXA) 550 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

It was 25 plus that gave me a week of grief trying to change from the Astra to Insignia. If you ring them you get 5 minutes of adverts and round the houses to be told they are internet only and cut you off. 6 instant messages that reply saying they cannot discuss it becasue of data protection and that you are not logged in, which I was. A dozen call backs that got nowhere. Even a call to get my NCB back, avoid like the plague unless your requirements tick THEIR boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Tippjohn wrote: »
    It was 25 plus that gave me a week of grief trying to change from the Astra to Insignia. If you ring them you get 5 minutes of adverts and round the houses to be told they are internet only and cut you off. 6 instant messages that reply saying they cannot discuss it becasue of data protection and that you are not logged in, which I was. A dozen call backs that got nowhere. Even a call to get my NCB back, avoid like the plague unless your requirements tick THEIR boxes.

100% agree, would rather pay the extra which I have for good customer service

Age - 27

Location - Meath

Car - Vw passat 1.9tdi

NCB - 1 year

Full Licence - 7 years

No claims/penalty points

Axa - €1,830
    AA - €1,650
    Aviva - €1,550
    Kennco €1,780

Have you tried getting quotes for comp?

Alot of insurers ramp up rates for third party only covers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Gender M Age 44 Car 06 CMax 1.8TDCI
    License Full German, held 20+ years, no points
    Cover Fully Comp
    Last year's quote from No Nonsense 347
    This year's quote 428
    Best quote? Will check and edit this later
    No, simply can't beat No Nonsense. Tried a few, 123 wanted €1494, BAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!
    Axa 786 and by far the least infuriating website
    It's funny, my partner, who I want as an additional driver, has had a small car park tip, which resulted in a small claim. For some reason my overall premium still goes down when I add her. :confused: Axa went from 786 to 880 when I removed her!
    Aviva, not bad, 464 TPFT, but still more expensive that No Nonsense fully comp. Will be sticking with them another year. So, price up a bit, but no massive shocks.

Age - 45

Location - Kildare

Car - Renault Fluence

NCB - 10+

Full Licence - 10+

No claims but 2 Penalty Points

Renewal with 123.ie was €475 compared to last year of €430. Rang them and reduced it to €424.

Policy is Fully Comp with full protection on NCB and breakdown assist.
    Cheapest quote was €365 from Acorn Insurance. Aviva quoted me €580!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Age - 28

Location - Dublin

Car - 05 1.6 Petrol

NCB - 1 year

Full Licence - 7 years

No claims/penalty points

First policy last year was 1300 with axa, got renewal quote for 1800!!! Sickened, must start phoning around tomorrow

Advertisement