Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 irishneo

just got my renewel was €720 now €990
    must be havinging a laugh lol

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlanMcC23

Car: 08 Audi A4 1.9tdi (115bhp)

NCD: Full 7 years

Licence: Full 7 years, no points

Cover: Fully comp, protected

Last year: €610 with Aviva

Renewal letter came last week for €780

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JamesFitz

I was getting insurance quotes there and was on 123.ie. I've had my licence for a year and a half now so I put in 1 year when it asked how long I've had my full licence for.

Anyway, I got quoted 4000 for an 08 Focus (as if that isn't laughable enough). I changed my details to say that I had my licence for 2 years instead just to see how much it would come down by out of interest.

They then quoted me 4700. No other details altered. I think this proves that they just pick numbers out of their holes tbh. Going to post this in the insurance FAQ thread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Car: 02 VW PASSATT 1.9TDI (130bhp)

NCD: Full 3 years

Licence: Full 4 years, no points

Cover: 3rd Party F&T

Last year: €820 with Bump Insurance(300 Excess)

Renewal letter came last week for €1200 (500 excess)

Shopped around and got a quote with Bank of Ireland (RSA) €1000 (no Excess) with windscreen cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Car: 2008 Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI (115bhp)
    NCD: 2 years
    Licence: Full 1 year 9 months
    Cover: TPFT

Last year: €1503.36 with No Nonsense. Excess at a whopping €750 :pac:

Renewal (No Nonsense - FBD) - €1433. Excess reduced to €300
    Liberty - €1613
    Britton Insurance - €1678
    Glennons - €22xx
    Chill - €18xx
    123.ie - €48xx

Any other companies I tried are over €2000 or don't quote.

I will go with Liberty for sure because it includes the third party extension. The excess is also pretty good at €300 compared to what the current policy is on :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

carzony wrote: »
    Went from a 2005 Citroen c4 to a 2001 vw bora. I'm praying the insurance company will change over for me in the morning..

(c4 is off the road and Bora is needed for work)
    Axa switched cars for me no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

carzony wrote: »
    Axa switched cars for me no bother.

Did they charge you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Car: 2002 BMW E39 525i Sport (192bhp)
    NCD: 5 years
    Licence: Full 4 Years
    Cover: Comprehensive

Last year: €1256 with Aviva.
    Renewal quote: €942, so over €300 down :eek:
    Paid €973 in the end with No Claims Protection! Bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Car: 2002 BMW E39 525i Sport (192bhp)
    NCD: 5 years
    Licence: Full 4 Years

Last year: €1256 with Aviva.
    Renewal quote: €942, so over €300 down :eek:
    Paid €973 in the end with No Claims Protection! Bargain!

Hup ourra daaaat! Result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

its nuts this year

Car: 2008 BMW 730d
    NCD: 10 years
    Licence: Full 10 Years

Last year: €490 with Aviva.
    Renewal quote: €1047

what the hell like seriously . cheapest i can get anywhere is €1005 up from 490 thats over 100% increase :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Colser wrote: »
    Did they charge you?

30Euro administration fee :rolleyes: I have changed my cars plenty of times over the years and this is the first time i've been charged for it:rolleyes:

They really are trying to get every penny out of ya..

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ZiggyBean

NCD: 8years
    Licence: Full 9+ years, 3 penalty points
    Car: 1.6tdi golf

Last year with AIG through chill €678 this year same insurance company as last €774 not a massive increase but still going up, rang chill and over the phone offered me a cheaper quote with another company for €714... Asked why they hadn't gone with that renewal price to send on to me in the first place!!? Couldn't answer.

Went with blue this year over 2 years, fully comp €1120 with full no claims bonus protection and all other insurance bells and whistles. That's a massive saving if the prices next year are to continue to rise!!

Shopped around and to be honest the more I looked the worse they got!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Looking into this for a relative.

She's a 32 year old female looking to start driving. Bought a 1 Litre 2002 Opel Corsa for €1000.
    Provisional licence, 1 year named driver experience.

Cheapest quote I can get is for her is............................. €6500!

What the actual fcuk! Been onto several insurance companies and brokers alike.

Any advise or will i just tell her to stick to walking!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you try all the places in the sticky thread "list of insurers"? If not, do.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

ZiggyBean wrote: »
    NCD: 8years
    Licence: Full 9+ years, 3 penalty points
    Car: 1.6tdi golf

Last year with AIG through chill 678 this year same insurance company as last 774 not a massive increase but still going up, rang chill and over the phone offered me a cheaper quote with another company for 714... Asked why they hadn't gone with that renewal price to send on to me in the first place!!? Couldn't answer.

Went with blue this year over 2 years, fully comp 1120 with full no claims bonus protection and all other insurance bells and whistles. That's a massive saving if the prices next year are to continue to rise!!

Shopped around and to be honest the more I looked the worse they got!!

Did you do your homework on 'BLUE' insurance cover and underwriters as...

ARB/Footprint/Prestigue are trading for Zenith insurance (Gibraltar funded like the Enterprise company that went belly up weeks ago and like setanta (Malta) that also jumped ship leaving 1000's without cover or ...)

Just because they cheap doesn't mean they better for you ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

11 of 24 Foreign Insurers here are based in Gibraltar. I threw up the list of all the Insurers a few pages back, heres this months.

Zenith have started to pull out of the country
    According to a report at Irish Times, Zenith, which had a 5% stake in the Irish car insurance market, stopped writing motor insurance through one of its four underwriting agencies in the country one month ago. Now, it has reportedly decided to further withdraw its capacity despite its business covering up to €50 million in premiums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

11 of 24 Foreign Insurers here are based in Gibraltar. I threw up the list of all the Insurers a few pages back, heres this months.

Interesting piece.

And yet people will still say that insurers are taking the piss / scamming with the current premium increases.

How many companies withdrawing or going bankrupt will it take for the public to open their eyes to the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

And yet people will still say that insurers are taking the piss / scamming with the current premium increases.
    Ah they are though, their may have been a need for an increase but they've went to town with it. Look at that poster on here the other day whose premium increased with they put in they had 2 years experience instead of one.

And some have started cutting the decrease in premium if you add a partner to policy.

Bad management aswell.

The market isin't natural here at the min.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

I am with Prestige (underwritten by Zenith) at the minute and my renewal is up at the end of this month. They are a few hundred cheaper than the next best with better cover, but I'm unsure of whether to go with them based on the above. One part of me says they are just using sound business logic and pulling back to limit themselves and ensure they don't go bust, but another part is wondering if they're on the way out. Also, a "solid" Irish company could go bust just as easily...

What generally happens in that case; would some or all of the premium for the remainder of the policy be refunded? What happened in the case of Enterprise?

Bye bye to ur premium... Wrightway broker were able reading 154 to each customer as this this was the share they held for themselves, when you paid full about for premium. Customers are still awaiting their ncb as no staff being paid/employed to issue same to the broker....

If you get option to pay monthly please take same, that way risk off loosing premium is more secure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 ZiggyBean

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Did you do your homework on 'BLUE' insurance cover and underwriters as...

ARB/Footprint/Prestigue are trading for Zenith insurance (Gibraltar funded like the Enterprise company that went belly up weeks ago and like setanta (Malta) that also jumped ship leaving 1000's without cover or ...)

Just because they cheap doesn't mean they better for you ...

Funny you should say that...

Paperwork came through yesterday and after reading through it all it turns out the quoted premium is a pile of sh1t, turns out after a hefty deposit and a €79 "set up fee" and 21 instalments of €54.21 I would end up paying a whopping €400 (give or take) more than what was originally quoted.

Thank god for cooling off periods!! So sadly off I go, tail between my legs, back to chill for another quote!! I know this is standard that the quoted price would increase if paying by direct debit but I just feel after nearly €300 of a deposit and €79 set up, the direct debit wouldn't add up to so much!! Pays to read the small print!

Just can't get my head around the cost, and yup, I know I'm not alone out there, but really it is tragic the cost of insurance these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

JamboMac wrote: »

Car: 01 Golf 1.4

NCD: 2 years

Licence: Full Irish 1 year

Cover: TPFT

Last year 980 with AA Renewal 1,061(extra product)

AXA 1,600
    Aib 1,600
    Liberty 1800
    Fbd: ring
    123 no quote
    An post no quote
    Companion or something 2200
    BOI €879
    25 plus 1952 and completely crap cover.

Stuck with the AA, this includes AA membership and comprehensive driving of other cars which is a bit weird coz I'm pretty sure it's TPFT.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Who's it with through AA? Im with Axa through the AA. I have fully comp and it was the best I could get and as I do drive other cars it helps to be fully comp on them.

Have you a named driver on your policy? It might bring down your quote

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

Car: 2.5 subaru impreza STI (06)

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points

renewal quote: €730
    This is with campion. It was 840 I think last year. I was expecting a big increase going by this tread. Pleasantly suprised

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Padkir wrote: »
    I am with Prestige (underwritten by Zenith) at the minute and my renewal is up at the end of this month. They are a few hundred cheaper than the next best with better cover, but I'm unsure of whether to go with them based on the above. One part of me says they are just using sound business logic and pulling back to limit themselves and ensure they don't go bust, but another part is wondering if they're on the way out. Also, a "solid" Irish company could go bust just as easily...

What generally happens in that case; would some or all of the premium for the remainder of the policy be refunded? What happened in the case of Enterprise?

Just for reference, my broker called back yesterday and said he got notice that Zenith were planning to pull out early next year so he advised strongly against going with them. Looking like Allianz are the next best; will put up my prices here once I get it finalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Autosport wrote: »
    Who's it with through AA? Im with Axa through the AA. I have fully comp and it was the best I could get and as I do drive other cars it helps to be fully comp on them.

Have you a named driver on your policy? It might bring down your quote

Yeah it's with AXA, no one else on the policy but he had to put in a claim for his car 2 weeks coz of some idiot in the hit his brand new car. So the insurance even though his was fixable it was cheaper to get him a new car, technically. So don't think he would bring down my insurance.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Car: 06 BMW 320d M-Sport Auto

NCD: Full (did claim a new windscreen this year but was assured it wouldn't affect my NCD (renewal still says I have 50% NCD))

2016 renewal quote: €644

2015 price paid: €470

Insurer: No Nonsense (FBD)

I wasn't overly happy with the increase, but then tried a few online quotes (only a few as it's a pain in the arse putting all your details in multiple times) and they seem to be coming in around the €800/€900 mark, so unless anyone has a suggestion for an insurer that could improve on my renewal quote, I think I might just bite the bullet and renew with them.

I'd recommend you google the status of no nonsense as for a period this year that they were not quoting for new customers !
    This was same practice for setanta who left Irish drivers in a pit,!and now for zenith insurance whom have advised there broker agents only this week that they may be leaving Ireland in coming months.

Google to see did they get any cash top up from their FBD uk counterpart ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭imnorobot

Car: 06 BMW 320d M-Sport Auto

NCD: Full (did claim a new windscreen this year but was assured it wouldn't affect my NCD (renewal still says I have 50% NCD))

2016 renewal quote: €644

2015 price paid: €470

Insurer: No Nonsense (FBD)

I wasn't overly happy with the increase, but then tried a few online quotes (only a few as it's a pain in the arse putting all your details in multiple times) and they seem to be coming in around the €800/€900 mark, so unless anyone has a suggestion for an insurer that could improve on my renewal quote, I think I might just bite the bullet and renew with them.

I got a much better deal with bank of ireland insurance
    I paid 349 last year with 25+
    This year they wanted 722
    Chill wanted over a grand ( chancers)
    Got Boi for 322

Worth a shot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

imnorobot wrote: »
    I got a much better deal with bank of ireland insurance
    I paid 349 last year with 25+
    This year they wanted 722
    Chill wanted over a grand ( chancers)
    Got Boi for 322

Worth a shot

BoI was one of the few I tried as I'm a banking & home insurance customer with them, they wanted €846

Aviva want €831

Advertisement