Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just got a renewal for my lad.
    21 next week
    1.2 Ibiza
    Full licence
    No points
    3rd year with Aviva
    Fully Comp
    Renewal was €540.
    Thrilled with that...

Good quote, what year is the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Good quote, what year is the car?

Good to hear , still can get reasonable quotes for older car.

Yep. I'm delighted. 2016 was @ 850
    2017 was @ 770
    And now 540.
    Hope the trend continues.

Yep. I'm delighted. 2016 was @ 850
    2017 was @ 770
    And now 540.
    Hope the trend continues.

Your post should be written in Gold for its Rarity.

• Advertisement

Your post should be written in Gold for its Rarity.

I'm in shock myself. His first insurance in his own name,fully comp for €8 odd !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I'm in shock myself. His first insurance in his own name,fully comp for €8 odd !!

Its a good quote but the cost for the insurer is in the third party section of cover - the 'comp' element which covers damage to your son's car would subject to an excess if he claims and ultimately there wouldn't be too much to pay out, even with a total loss.

Third party claims are unlimited...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Still a lot lower than a 35 year old with 10+ years of driving! Mind me asking the rough location?

Changed my address from my home location in Co. Limerick, where a car hasn't been stolen for as long as I'm alive (35 years), and very rarely a crash. Changed it back to my old address in Ferrybank, Waterford/Kilkenny, which is basically in Waterford City, where there were multiple crashes every day, and cars stolen at least once a week, and it was €400 cheaper!!! Where's the sense in that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Reasonable?

Bargain of the century more like :)

thebiglad wrote: »
    Its a good quote but the cost for the insurer is in the third party section of cover - the 'comp' element which covers damage to your son's car would subject to an excess if he claims and ultimately there wouldn't be too much to pay out, even with a total loss.

It's a ridiculously good quote, comprehensive or not.

35 years old with 7+ years ncb and driving license can't get it...

I don't think there is any logic in some of the quotes, regardless of what the insurers say. Their script is broken somewhere, we just need to find their weak point to get the right price.

My quotes were between 700-3k last time I checked :)

• Advertisement

thebiglad wrote: »

Believe it or not, comp was €45 CHEAPER than TPFT. It said gives him 3rd party cover to drive any car(handy to get me home from the pub) :).
    Wouldn't even consider claiming on the comp end of the policy.

Still a lot lower than a 35 year old with 10+ years of driving! Mind me asking the rough location?

Changed my address from my home location in Co. Limerick, where a car hasn't been stolen for as long as I'm alive (35 years), and very rarely a crash. Changed it back to my old address in Ferrybank, Waterford/Kilkenny, which is basically in Waterford City, where there were multiple crashes every day, and cars stolen at least once a week, and it was €400 cheaper!!! Where's the sense in that?!

In KK.

Saying that just read your post again to see who your with,your with Aviva, been with them for 3 years, this year i got fully comp for €284, 2008 1.6 Zafira ,full clean licence for years,they do give good quotes if you meet there criteria what ever that is, but the other end wifes 1.4 98 Astra going up every year now at €378 that use to be cheaper then zafira at one time.

Scoop.
    Meeting their criteria seems to be the way forward.
    My car,170 up superb '09 cost 360 this year. Didn't even bother me arse trying to beat that,yet Mrs O had to get her own insurance this year. She's been on a company fleet policy foe the past 11 years. Before that had her own policy and full bonus,no accidents or points. She's been named on my policy for the past 26 years.
    Aviva wouldn't even quote her because she has no policy in her own name ??
    Anyway got a great deal with An Post and an even better one for the lad,so happy days..

I got my 2 denial letters:

123.ie - Car too old (actually, anyone get a quote from them on a 02 or older this month, please let me know!)
    Aviva - Don't meet their criteria (again, whatever that is)

So still no idea what the cause for my renewal quotes are. Clean full licence for 11 years, NCD for 11 years in my own name, granted 3 points 18 months ago but had them for last year too. Not the car as I've tried with a 2011 Laguna and it doesn't make a big difference, only thing that is there is the location, but again, no stolen cars for as long as i'm alive, rarely a crash. There has been a few fatals in the area, from the top of my head 4 (3 in 1 car, 1 by herself), but that's in the last 20 years. But shur what area doesn't have fatals these days.

What it seems to be telling me is that it's safer (according to insurance companies) to live in a city?! Sorry, i'm just venting. I was always told the older I get and more experience I get, the cheaper it will be. It's never been this expensive, and I've driven more powerful cars!

Believe it or not, comp was €45 CHEAPER than TPFT. It said gives him 3rd party cover to drive any car(handy to get me home from the pub) :).
    Wouldn't even consider claiming on the comp end of the policy.

Double check the policy documents as it might apply only if the policy holder is 25 years old. There might be a limit on engine size, too.

Better be safe and all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I got my 2 denial letters:

123.ie - Car too old (actually, anyone get a quote from them on a 02 or older this month, please let me know!)
    Aviva - Don't meet their criteria (again, whatever that is)

So still no idea what the cause for my renewal quotes are. Clean full licence for 11 years, NCD for 11 years in my own name, granted 3 points 18 months ago but had them for last year too. Not the car as I've tried with a 2011 Laguna and it doesn't make a big difference, only thing that is there is the location, but again, no stolen cars for as long as i'm alive, rarely a crash. There has been a few fatals in the area, from the top of my head 4 (3 in 1 car, 1 by herself), but that's in the last 20 years. But shur what area doesn't have fatals these days.

What it seems to be telling me is that it's safer (according to insurance companies) to live in a city?! Sorry, i'm just venting. I was always told the older I get and more experience I get, the cheaper it will be. It's never been this expensive, and I've driven more powerful cars!

I've given up trying to figure out whats cheaper. I live in a very safe rural location but get hit with 20% increases year on year.
    I know that a 15 YO car is not what they want but my mileage is low and my record is almost impeccable.

wonski wrote: »
    Double check the policy documents as it might apply only if the policy holder is 25 years old. There might be a limit on engine size, too.

Better be safe and all that...

Thanks for that. Already did that, matter of fact it was them that brought it up as a plus over tpft along with window cover(which was used last year ).
    I don't understand it either,lads out there with much more experience getting shafted...but I'm not complaining (till next year probably)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Saying that just read your post again to see who your with,your with Aviva, been with them for 3 years, this year i got fully comp for €284, 2008 1.6 Zafira ,full clean licence for years,they do give good quotes if you meet there criteria what ever that is, but the other end wifes 1.4 98 Astra going up every year now at €378 that use to be cheaper then zafira at one time.
    That's a great quote for the zafira. I got quoted a crazy price from them for my own 07 zafira for e1135 for the year, yet I'm in the same boat as you, regarding full clean license for years. The mind boggles. Did you get that quote online or over the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Excellent quote. How did he get started in his own name with Aviva at 18? Is it a work scheme?

• Advertisement

hadepsx wrote: »
    That's a great quote for the zafira. I got quoted a crazy price from them for my own 07 zafira for e1135 for the year, yet I'm in the same boat as you, regarding full clean license for years. The mind boggles. Did you get that quote online or over the phone?

That came in post for renewal, could have paid it monthly but that would have brought it up to €385 which i thought was a bit heavy on the interest, so paid it in one go.

Excellent quote. How did he get started in his own name with Aviva at 18? Is it a work scheme?

Went with their driving school. Lessons were a 5er dearer each but in meant he got 6 months free insurance on my car. It's a brilliant concept and I can guarantee that it works.

Went with their driving school. Lessons were a 5er dearer each but in meant he got 6 months free insurance on my car. It's a brilliant concept and I can guarantee that it works.

when he passed the test what was his first quote, do they give a good discount because he learned with Aviva driving school?
    my son as just done his first lesson with them also 6 months free insurance on my car, but i think i will wait until he gets 2/3 lesson it before he gets into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

I got my renewal quote for €630 from RSA. Have shopped around and have got a quote for €385 from its4woman. Afraid its too good to be true! Have entered details twice to be sure! Would it be safe enough to go with its4woman. Has anyone any experiences with them when they have had to make a claim?

when he passed the test what was his first quote, do they give a good discount because he learned with Aviva driving school?
    my son as just done his first lesson with them also 6 months free insurance on my car, but i think i will wait until he gets 2/3 lesson it before he gets into it.

Whether he passes his test or not (thankfully he did) so long as the instructor passes him fit to drive ,and as long as you insure him for the 2nd 6 months on your car ,they will give a 30% bonus on his first policy in his own name.
    They tried to screw me for the 2nd 6 months but I kept kicking it back to them and eventually got him insured for €350. Good deal on a 170 hp car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Well if that system works, more young people should look in to it. Seems like a responsible phased route in to car ownership rather than just buying a powerful car and expecting to insure it for low money. Well done.

OK, why would it be €40 cheaper to insure a 45-year-old woman as a named driver on your insurance policy than it is to insure a 39-year-old woman? I double checked and that birth date was the sole difference between both of the quotes from the same insurance company (Bank of Ireland Motor Insurance using RSA).

OK, why would it be €40 cheaper to insure a 45-year-old woman as a named driver on your insurance policy than it is to insure a 39-year-old woman? I double checked and that birth date was the sole difference between both of the quotes from the same insurance company (Bank of Ireland Motor Insurance using RSA).

Because they literally make it up.

Because they literally make it up.

Seriously? I thought they paid actuaries a huge amount of money to use maths to calculate risk and premia? While I'd expect a machine does the calculation now, I always assumed there was some rational mathematical basis upon which they based every premium?

• Advertisement

Seriously? I thought they paid actuaries a huge amount of money to use maths to calculate risk and premia? While I'd expect a machine does the calculation now, I always assumed there was some rational mathematical basis upon which they based every premium?

I'm sure that's the way it's supposed to work, but between my own quotes and what else I've read online, there is no consistency to it. Like, and fair play to the lad that managed this, but a 23 year old with 3 years NCD/Full Licence can get insured under €700 in a 98 Levin and me with 10+ years NCD/Full Licence can't get anything below €830 in a 02 S40, that doesn't make sense to me. And I don't live in a city or anywhere that's a known area for crashes or stolen cars. Car hasn't been stolen in my area for as long as i'm alive (35 years). And it's somehow cheaper to live on the edge of a city than in the middle of the country.

Advertisement