Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭irbx

38 male 2004 2l Petrol Honda accord.
    3 years NCB no accidents or claims no penalty points.

Last year 1100

Renewal 1060
    Add NCB protection 1090.

Then just asked was this the best price when to 1020

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

Seriously? I thought they paid actuaries a huge amount of money to use maths to calculate risk and premia? While I'd expect a machine does the calculation now, I always assumed there was some rational mathematical basis upon which they based every premium?

It’s all bullsh**. I’ve been messing around with quotes all morning. One insurer drops the insurance incrementally when the cars value increases from 2k up to 7k and then goes the on the other way as I continue increase the value.

2005 a6 2.0tdi.
    No points, full license 30 yrs, full NCB. Last year with Allianz was 660.
    Up to 805 on renewal.
    Looking at 123.ie for 630 but can get it to 414 (reducing to TPF&T) & manipulating cars value, also adding a friend (wife don’t drive).

Aviva want 833 for TPF&T.

Changing up to a 141 Octavia VRS reduces to 376 but obviously you’d have to go comp on that. Still less than €500.

Allianz can take a jump. And I’m gonna cancel the mutt insurance too. Their loss.

Update: AXA. €1092 comp for the Audi, €995 for TPFAT
    THE 141 Octavia Vrs, same price, give or take 20 quid on both.

Liberty: 1226 for comp on the Audi, 1012 TPFAT; 1072 comp for the VRS.

Well that’s enough of that, looks like 123.ie will be getting the funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

^^^^^^^

You must be doing something wrong. The cartel is supposed to give the same quote to everybody. Your figures smack of open competition. Chancers

^^^^^^^

You must be doing something wrong. The cartel is supposed to give the same quote to everybody. Your figures smack of open competition. Chancers

Seriously, it’s mental. AA quoted me 627 last year comp. yesterday on the phone to Declan he hits me with 927. I said WTF, ? He said “ yeah, I knew it was gonna be high cause it’s an Audi, same with BMWs with us for some reason....”

Utter madness. Regulated me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

dodzy wrote: »
    It’s all bullsh**. I’ve been messing around with quotes all morning. One insurer drops the insurance incrementally when the cars value increases from 2k up to 7k and then goes the on the other way as I continue increase the value.

2005 a6 2.0tdi.
    No points, full license 30 yrs, full NCB. Last year with Allianz was 660.
    Up to 805 on renewal.
    Looking at 123.ie for 630 but can get it to 414 (reducing to TPF&T) & manipulating cars value, also adding a friend (wife don’t drive).

Aviva want 833 for TPF&T.

Changing up to a 141 Octavia VRS reduces to 376 but obviously you’d have to go comp on that. Still less than €500.

Allianz can take a jump. And I’m gonna cancel the mutt insurance too. Their loss.

Update: AXA. €1092 comp for the Audi, €995 for TPFAT
    THE 141 Octavia Vrs, same price, give or take 20 quid on both.

Liberty: 1226 for comp on the Audi, 1012 TPFAT; 1072 comp for the VRS.

Well that’s enough of that, looks like 123.ie will be getting the funds.

I'm getting the very same thing with a '00 318. Works out cheaper to insurance it valued at 7000 that 1000 with 123!

• Advertisement

I'm getting the very same thing with a '00 318. Works out cheaper to insurance it valued at 7000 that 1000 with 123!

One of these days I’m gonna set aside a few hours and knock out a plethora of quotes, while fudging things such as above. Nothing wrong with valuing your car up/down to improve the quotation. I’d say if you were to delve into additional driver profiles, job profiles, mileage, all sorts of field adjustments, obviously within reason, there’s loopholes in there. Just reiterates the sham that is the motor insurance sector in this country. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

One of these days I’m gonna set aside a few hours and knock out a plethora of quotes, while fudging things such as above. Nothing wrong with valuing your car up/down to improve the quotation. I’d say if you were to delve into additional driver profiles, job profiles, mileage, all sorts of field adjustments, obviously within reason, there’s loopholes in there. Just reiterates the sham that is the motor insurance sector in this country. :mad:

Be careful with the value. You can overvalue it all you want and they'll go off the market rate at the time but under value it and thats all you'll get if claiming off your own policy.
    I used to over value too and I think 11k euro was the magic number on an 06 corolla with liberty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Utter madness. Regulated me hole.

What do you think Regulated actually means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Liberty came down, when my mind didn't notice the extra 0 on 2500...

Mind boggling.

Also, how the hell, you add more drivers to your policy the risk price comes down??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

TallGlass wrote: »
    Also, how the hell, you add more drivers to your policy the risk price comes down??

The insurer's data suggests insured only in more risky than insured and partner, insured and other etc

I've worked for three insurers and that's been the case for all 3

• Advertisement

Fanny **** wrote: »
    The insurer's data suggests insured only in more risky than insured and partner, insured and other etc

I've worked for three insurers and that's been the case for all 3

Don't follow the logic to be honest...

With one person the car could be used maybe for 1 or 2 hours, with two maybe 4 or 5, then with three, maybe 6 or 7 hours.. The car is spending more time on the road so that would be increasing the chances of an incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

TallGlass wrote: »
    Don't follow the logic to be honest...

With one person the car could be used maybe for 1 or 2 hours, with two maybe 4 or 5, then with three, maybe 6 or 7 hours.. The car is spending more time on the road so that would be increasing the chances of an incident?

It is much deeper than that.
    If you have anyone that is willing to be insured with you, you are not a maniac...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Yup, the way the insurers see it, a married man is likely to be more responsible than a single one, and therefore less of a risk on the roads.

As regards quotes - I must be different from everybody else because my insurance keeps coming down.

For the past few years, I've driven a Kia Ceed Sportswagon 1.4 diesel. I'm 43, married, full No Claims Bonus, no penalty points in any of those years.

Two years ago, insurance was approx €480. Last year it was €420. This year it was €380. All with the same insurer (Aviva).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭xalot

Male Driver 38, No penalty points and no claims. Fully comp with one named driver.
    Volvo, S40, 2005 1.8 Petrol

AA 566
    AIG 567
    An Post 588
    123 601
    Sheridan 688
    AXA 707
    Aviva 743
    Zurich 811
    Liberty 832
    25+ 1130

All quotes are online, not sure if it's been mentioned but the AA have a webchat facility where they see if they can drop the price when you engage with them. My quote came down nearly 100euro when I said I'd a better quote...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Toyota corolla 2002

Up about 30 and some of the usual sites I got a laugh I mean quote from

Am I missing any?
    €794.95
    25 Plus
    Wont quote
    AA
    Wont quote
    AIB
    AIG
    Wont quote
    Allianz
    An Post
    Aviva
    Over 14 years
    AXA
    Blue Insurance
    Wont Quote
    Britton
    €1280.73
    Chill
    Server issues
    BOI
    Wont quote
    FBD
    Wont quote
    Quote Me

An Post seem to have a problem with you if you decide to take a break driving for a year :confused:

Any messing from insurance companies and it's swiftly onto the next one with me.

So An Post, it's a No from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Car: Bmw E31 1997 840ci sport 4400cc (only car)
    License Full since 1990
    Current Insurer- Aig through first ireland
    max years NCB
    No points
    custom head unit,wheels and exhaust declared
    Male 46
    6000 yearly millage limit on classic policy
    400 last year 450 this year

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Be careful with the value. You can overvalue it all you want and they'll go off the market rate at the time but under value it and thats all you'll get if claiming off your own policy.
    I used to over value too and I think 11k euro was the magic number on an 06 corolla with liberty.
    You'll get the market rate at the time of the incident; over or undervalued; it doesn't matter.

You'll get the market rate at the time of the incident; over or undervalued; it doesn't matter.

You will not get more than what you valued it for. So it does matter.

• Advertisement

You're wrong. You will only get what you declared (or market if lower) if claiming off your own policy.
    If its a third party you will get the market value regardless of what is declared when going through their own insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Just got my renewal on my 181 Land Rover Discovery.

Up from €500 on my previous BMW 4 series to €684.
    Age 43, male, full NCB, no penalty points, full license for >10 years

Just tried pricing a few places - itsforwomen look cheapest at €441.

So they insure men too! (I know they have to)

PoolDude wrote: »
    Just got my renewal on my 181 Land Rover Discovery.

Up from €500 on my previous BMW 4 series to €684.
    Age 43, male, full NCB, no penalty points, full license for >10 years

Just tried pricing a few places - itsforwomen look cheapest at €441.

So they insure men too!

They have to. That would be a lawsuit otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fando

irbx wrote: »
    38 male 2004 2l Petrol Honda accord.
    3 years NCB no accidents or claims no penalty points.

Last year 1100

Renewal 1060
    Add NCB protection 1090.

Then just asked was this the best price when to 1020

The same car, similar circumstances, similar quote.

Guess I'm not the only one screwed for driving a "sports car".

Your Age: 32 and wife as named driver 32, no points, full licences.
    Car type and engine: '00 E46 318CI
    years no driving: 10+ for both
    any claims: 8+ years no claims
    Price and provider: renewal was 660. Comp and NCP with 123.ie.

Quoted online 123.ie TPFT with NCP. €520 with and car valued at 2000. €458 with car valued at 7000.

Rang to see what price they'd give me. She changed original quote to TPFT and it came to €468. Told her I had an online one for €458. She changed the value of car to €7000, few other things and put me on hold to get approval she said. Came back to me and it was €407! Only rang Chill otherwise and they were €900.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Hi

Apologies if this has been asked several times before.

Do u fill out those applications for quotes to several of those companies or is there 1 place u go to where it compares the quotes. I would think filling out several applications is fairly time consuming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

tcawley29 wrote: »
    They have to. That would be a lawsuit otherwise.

Try get them on the phone if you’re already a customer. Absolute nightmare to contact some of these insurance companies to make any changes to a policy or temporary transfer.

Hi

Do u fill out those applications for quotes to several of those companies or is there 1 place u go to where it compares the quotes. I would think filling out several applications is fairly time consuming

In my experience online quotes are never the cheapest. I try one or two of the main insurers and brokers like chill, quote devil etc out of curiosity online but if you're really interested in getting the best deal you need to make as many phone calls as possible. Looks at others here with similar driving experience and car to you and see how they got on with their quotes. For instance 123 seem cheapest with 15+ cars in my experience with no claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Hi

The likes of chill try a good few. I spent two days ringing around for Mrs O's ins. Difference between the highest and lowest was about 2k. Worthwhile exercise.

• Advertisement

Hi

After a few it takes only five mins per application. It takes around two hours to go though all of them, and then calling the few most competitive to drag it further down.

Advertisement