Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I took my own Liberty policy out last year with 1 year NCB as a named driver (under 1 year full license) and with my mother and sister named under me it reduced the price from around €1800 to €886 full comp, renewed last month at €846. Car is 2012 Civic 1.8 Petrol.

It's mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

arleitiss wrote: »
    huh.
    €1175 from Liberty Insurance fully comp. (When adding my mother to policy as named driver - only 2 years full irish license).

How the **** does this work? :pac:

now try and add another parent if they are still on this earth. Also look to add a friend or partner who is older. Should come down more.
    Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I don't understand the sense behind this.

I was told by my company that if I could put down a named driver, even a neighbour, it may bring down my quote.

Yes it will ... no idea why it does but....it does. I have yet to see an example, certainly with liberty, where the quote does NOT come down.

Rest assured again that they may never sit behind the wheel, and if they crash on their own policy it doesn't affect yours directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

flexcon wrote: »
    now try and add another parent if they are still on this earth. Also look to add a friend or partner who is older. Should come down more.

Yes it will ... no idea why it does but....it does. I have yet to see an example, certainly with liberty, where the quote does NOT come down.

Rest assured again that they may never sit behind the wheel, and if they crash on their own policy it doesn't affect yours directly.

Then why do they ask for details of any claims and points that named drivers have.

If what you say was true a couple could swap insurance between them for the family car according to who had had the biggest claim/number of points in order to get the lowest quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

my3cents wrote: »
    Then why do they ask for details of any claims and points that named drivers have.

If what you say was true a couple could swap insurance between them for the family car according to who had had the biggest claim/number of points in order to get the lowest quote.

Ah I see what you are asking,

So when you buy the insurance at the time it asks those details. In this case, you say no claims and perfect driving record etc etc

If your parent then has a crash on their car, you can then ring your insurance company to update them on this detail. At this point they will either bring up your insurance as they are still a named driver OR you remove them as a named driver on your policy and pay the difference there - whichever is the least increase.

To be clear, your insurance isn't directly effected, your own personal NCB always is separate.

Regarding your final example, yes I don't see what is wrong with doing that. isn't that a prudent choice to make? Again unless I have picked up on the example or what you are suggesting wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

After being on the phone for ages I'll seal the deal today, but I'm pretty unhappy with it, yet I'm not getting anything better than that. I'll ask the agent if there's anything else that can be done to bring it down by a little bit.
    It's TheAA with 1881 Euro. Car is a 1.6l 07 Kia estate. Have a driver added. I got a speeding fine recently and don't have the points on my license added yet, they don't take them into account until next year.
    I have been a named driver on an Axa policy but they'd charge me 300 Euros more (would give me a year NCB for the named driver experience).
    My quotes ranged from 1881 Euro to 4900 Euro. What stood out was that me getting my license in an EU country was a big problem, even though I exchanged it. I had two companies refusing me on the ground I'm not Irish born and living here for less than 3 years and even though I have an Irish license, I didn't get in in Ireland.
    It was a hugely frustrating process. The insurance is more than half what we pay for our wedding next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Your Age: 33 M
    Car type and engine: 2006 Vauxhall Astra TwinTop 1.9 CDTI , 150HP/320nm (210hp/420nm at the moment)
    years driving: 12y (01-2006)
    any claims: 0; (1 year NCB due moving from other country;) got license LHD)
    Price and provider: 48,21 / month ; Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 21,724 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Car: 2017 Hyundai Ioniq EV
    NCB: 5 Years, 5 points on licence (3 speeding, 2 driving without due care), 1 claim for 2k in 2017.

Renewal €750 with Zurich through Britton Insurance brokers.
    Next cheapest was Britton as a new customer (900 odd quid), and everywhere else was 1200+

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭erkifino

Car: 5-Door Hatchback 1390cc Petrol 2000
    NCB: 7 Years, Full Clean license. (on my own policy 3 years)
    Provider: AXA
    €700 (Full Comp 350 excess) last year to €896.90 this year

One hell of an increase, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Car: VW Golf 1.2 Petrol 2016
    NCB: 7 Years.
    License: Full Irish license 10 years, no points.
    Current Provider: Bank of Ireland (RSA)
    Renewal: €697.10 - Fully Comp. No named drivers.
    Quotes all Fully Comp
    123.ie (RSA) - €500
    Allianz - €528.27
    Chill Insurance/Zurich - €661
    Bank of Ireland (As new customer) - €661.24
    Aviva - €712.69
    FBD - €888.21
    The AA - €944.08
    Liberty - €1016.98
    25plus.ie - €1142.55

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Age. 55
    09 2.0 Skoda superb
    Full bonus
    No points
    Fully Comp
    An post wanted €480
    Last year with Aviva €362.00
    This year with Aviva €361.00
    Not gona even bother looking any further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzyB

Car: 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid
    NCB: 1 Year

Renewal was high with Liberty at €897 Fully Comp, they called up yesterday to see why I hadn't renewed and came down to €540 TPFT. Still seemed a bit high to me so told them I would think about it. Got it on the liberty online quote generator myself for €523 TPFT last night so went with that there and then. Now must send my proof of NCB back to Liberty as I think I'll be treated as a new customer :rolleyes:

Madness really what you have to do to get the lowest quote but to liberty's credit the next closest quote I could get for TPFT was €1100 and I called/online quoted every insurer on the sticky here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

BazzyB wrote: »

Renewal was high with Liberty at €897 Fully Comp, they called up yesterday to see why I hadn't renewed and came down to €540 TPFT. Still seemed a bit high to me so told them I would think about it. Got it on the liberty online quote generator myself for €523 TPFT last night so went with that there and then. Now must send my proof of NCB back to Liberty as I think I'll be treated as a new customer :rolleyes:

Madness really what you have to do to get the lowest quote but to liberty's credit the next closest quote I could get for TPFT was €1100 and I called/online quoted every insurer on the sticky here.

Those are shockingly low quotes.

grogi wrote: »
    Those are shockingly low quotes.

Low risk car at the end of the day I guess, slower than a snail and wouldn't fit the boy racer profile

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

BazzyB wrote: »

Just contact them on online chat. They'll update their system and link the existing no claims. No need to post it in. Did it before on my motorbike policy.

Just contact them on online chat. They'll update their system and link the existing no claims. No need to post it in. Did it before on my motorbike policy.

Good advice thanks didn't think of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭jmreire

flexcon wrote: »
    They will never drive your car........ever. You are just putting down as a named driver. There isn't a law to say that they must then drive your car.

If they have a claim on their own policy separate to your car, it doesn't affect your policy or no claims.

That they may never drive your car is immaterial... their acceptance on your policy is based on their personal driving history, as you have described it to your insurer. So while they may have clean driving history at the time of putting them on your insurance, if that changes for any reason, then the insurance have to be notified, as the risk has changed. Does not matter that they the were not driving your car at the time they collected the points , fine's or had an accident or whatever.You have to inform the insurance. And for sure, this will cost you some cash.
    I may be wrong in this, and I hope that I am, because I normally include some family members on my policy, but not anymore for the very reasons I have stated above. I am open to correction on this, so feel free to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Car: Nissan Note 1.6
    NCB: 1 year

Passed my test last year and the cheapest quote I could get was €3,330 from Liberty. Added my parents and that brought it down to €2,100.

Just renewed this year's again with Liberty and its come down to €910. I'm thrilled as was expecting it to be much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Vel wrote: »
    Car: Nissan Note 1.6
    NCB: 1 year

Passed my test last year and the cheapest quote I could get was €3,330 from Liberty. Added my parents and that brought it down to €2,100.

Just renewed this year's again with Liberty and its come down to €910. I'm thrilled as was expecting it to be much more.

Now THATS a result !!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Alan_007_

23 Male
    05 Golf 1.9TDI
    Last year: €1,115 by DD

Got quoted €1,140 by DD by Liberty for my renewal.

Put my dad on the policy which brought it down to €1,009.

Put the exact same details into their online quote system which came out at €932.

Fairly delighted with that. Liberty can't be beaten for young drivers in my own experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

39F
    2013 BMW 320d Sport
    Full NCB, 0 points etc
    Low mileage, class I use required
    1 named driver

Renewal quote came at €675 from 123.ie. Spent an hour looking this morning and got quotes of €1,400 (Liberty), €1,000 (The AA) etc. Finally got €635 with AIG. There doesn’t seem to be lower out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Your Age:25
    Car type and engine: 2009 320d
    Years driving:5 years ncb
    Price and provider: 720 fully comp with Sertus with 2 named drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭masterboy123

31 Male
    2015 Merc C class 2 litres
    4 years NCB
    Full license, no points
    Need class 1 insurance

Last year 1500e with 25plus.ie
    Got renewal quote from 25plus.ie for 2000e

Checked 7-8 different insurance companies, all in the range of 1400-2200 euros.
    Got return call from AA and bargained down to 1300e including road side AA assistance.

I am happy enough now, given very high initial quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

dudara wrote: »
    39F
    2013 BMW 320d Sport
    Full NCB, 0 points etc
    Low mileage, class I use required
    1 named driver

Renewal quote came at €675 from 123.ie. Spent an hour looking this morning and got quotes of €1,400 (Liberty), €1,000 (The AA) etc. Finally got €635 with AIG. There doesn’t seem to be lower out there

Ring aviva their outta curiosity...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

I'm 36, 9 years driving, 7 years NCB. My renewal went up e100 to e820 from BOI car insurance. Fully comp with a few extras. Load of bs. Why would it go up when I've another year of accident free driving. No points or claims in those years either. Current car is 07 zafira 1.6. also my current policy doesn't expire until the end of July, is it best to leave it until the week before to haggle or look around earlier? Like would it work out cheaper to get quotes a week before?. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

hadepsx wrote: »
    I'm 36, 9 years driving, 7 years NCB. My renewal went up e100 to e820 from BOI car insurance. Fully comp with a few extras. Load of bs. Why would it go up when I've another year of accident free driving. No points or claims in those years either. Current car is 07 zafira 1.6. also my current policy doesn't expire until the end of July, is it best to leave it until the week before to haggle or look around earlier? Like would it work out cheaper to get quotes a week before?. Thanks

Could be because of the age of the car, it's older than 10 years old and you most likely will see another hike when it's 12 years. It's absolute nonsense but that's most likely the reason.
    I've read the earlier you get insurance, the better because when you're in a rush, companies tend to add a few quid because you need it one way or the other. I did a quote every second day for a week with certain companies and the price never went down, when I rang them up they said it's because "index fluctuation". Thanks but no thanks. Went with AA this year, they knocked another 200 off my quote when I said I'm going with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Received a renewal from Aviva for €565.

Spent about an hour looking around, eventually went with Zurich through Chill for €500, happy enough with that.

32 yr old male, driving a 2006 focus with a 5 yr ncb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

2001 1.0l Polo, 4 years NCB, 3 years licence, no points or claims, 28 year old male.
    Renewal from AA €1262
    its4women - no quote
    boi - no quote
    liberties - 999.66
    axa - 927.06
    top insure - 1026
    britton - 1137
    123.ie - 1031.75
    chill - 1022
    aviva - no quote
    aig - no quote

Looks like I'll be going with AXA. Will see if anyone calls me back before that quote expires and try to haggle down lower than 927.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

that seems really high for a 1L... has to be the age of the car.
    you should have them quote a 1L Polo less than 10 years old and see what the difference is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Got a renewal quote from AIG for €518. Its for fully comp on a 131 320D and I'm male 50 with max years no claims and max years license held and everything else. Its up €30 from last year.
    Would it make sense to name herself as a 2nd driver? She doesn't ever drive my car but would it make a difference?

I know some would be delighted with €518 but I find it quite high and it seems its only ever going up every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I find it quite high and it seems its only ever going up every year.

You don't pose less risk every year anymore. No offence meant - you're past your prime time and the risk will soon go up or already goes up actually. No reason for the premium to go down...

And there is this thing called inflation...

Advertisement