Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

grogi wrote: »
    You don't pose less risk every year anymore. No offence meant - you're past your prime time and the risk will soon go up or already goes up actually. No reason for the premium to go down...

And there is this thing called inflation...

Ouch!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Finding it hard to get anything below 1k
    35 / 2014 BMW 520D 184 / Full no claims 10+ years / Driving 10+ years / 3 penalty points.

Would be happy with the 800 but 1k seems crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

Car: 2008 Audi A3 1.9TDI
    NCD: 4 years
    Licence: 3 years full license (+1 year provisional, so 4 years in total)
    Penalty Points: 0
    Cover: TPFT

Current insurer: Liberty
    Last Year: €978 (on a '08 Golf 1.9tdi)
    This year: €937

Only got my renewal today. Was hoping that it would’ve went down more than €40, but by doing some quick online quotes with a few other insurers I doubt I’ll get better than that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

She doesn't ever drive my car but would it make a difference?

My mother in law added me onto her insurance (even though I was already covered under my own policy). Knocked 100quid off for her. I'd say I drive the thing once a month, down to the shops to collect something when I am visiting.

A girl I work with noticed her ex was still on her insurance after they had broken up a few years previously, she knew but ignored it. Anyway, he made contact in a creepy way and it went off in her head that she wanted no reminder of him. Rang up insurance. They added 100quid for the remainder of the year plus a 40euro admin fee. She was giving out down the phone about the ex to the person on the other end who apologised and knocked off the admin fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Is it me or the car? So I've an 08 Subaru. It's only a 1.5 and this year the quote is 715. I've 10+ years NCB, license since 2001 and 42 yrs old. I tried axa online and got quoted 1300 with a 500 excess. When I first got the car 2 years ago it was 540 on the first renewal. Any idea how to get it cheaper??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Get rid of the Subaru....
    When I had my Legacy (2.0 diesel) 4 companies wouldn't insure it, and was told by one "We don't insure the brand name" bad reputation it seems,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,883 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Car: 2002 Volvo S40 1.8 Petrol
    NCD: 9+
    Licence: Full, 9+
    Penalty Points: 3 - Speeding (last day of being a Garda would you believe, feckin Go Safes!), got them in October 2016

Current insurer: its4women
    Last Year: €678
    This year: €1165

I've no doubt it's the age of the car, i've done a few Online quotes today to see what it's like, and the lowest was €1085. I genuinely cannot afford to change the car, and now I can't afford the insurance. I've sent a message to its4women to ring me back, but that's just crazy! Car is fully road legal, new NCT, and is in better condition than a lot of newer cars, but yet again the insurance has shot up for no apparent reason. I actually don't know what to do. I need the car to drive 25 minutes to work and same home again each day, and I can't get a loan due to an unaffordable mortgage I got rid of (and left with subsequent debt). I can't see a way out of this. I'd have a newer car if I could, but i simply don't have the money, and I can't ask the family for any more loans, because i'm 35 for feck sake. I work full time, 27k a year but most of it is going back to the threatening banks. If I can't renew it, I can't get to work, I lose my job... I'm genuinely very worried about this. Even DD won't work for me, because I won't be able to get the deposit together. And I was doing so well with my anxiety...

Anyone have any suggestions? The quote I got last year included the points, so it can't be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Penalty Points: 3 - Speeding (last day of being a Garda would you believe, feckin Go Safes!), got them in October 2016

I've no doubt it's the age of the car, i've done a few Online quotes today to see what it's like, and the lowest was €1085. I genuinely cannot afford to change the car, and now I can't afford the insurance. I've sent a message to its4women to ring me back, but that's just crazy! Car is fully road legal, new NCT, and is in better condition than a lot of newer cars, but yet again the insurance has shot up for no apparent reason. I actually don't know what to do. I need the car to drive 25 minutes to work and same home again each day, and I can't get a loan due to an unaffordable mortgage I got rid of (and left with subsequent debt). I can't see a way out of this. I'd have a newer car if I could, but i simply don't have the money, and I can't ask the family for any more loans, because i'm 35 for feck sake. I work full time, 27k a year but most of it is going back to the threatening banks. If I can't renew it, I can't get to work, I lose my job... I'm genuinely very worried about this. Even DD won't work for me, because I won't be able to get the deposit together. And I was doing so well with my anxiety...

Anyone have any suggestions? The quote I got last year included the points, so it can't be that.

Did you try Liberty? I'm with them with a 1998 Jap import Levin BZ-R.

Did you try Liberty? I'm with them with a 1998 Jap import Levin BZ-R.

€1669.21 TPFT... I've found out it's not the car as I used a friend's 2011 Laguna 2.0 Diesel with everything else the same and the quote was about 50 cheaper...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

€1669.21 TPFT... I've found out it's not the car as I used a friend's 2011 Laguna 2.0 Diesel with everything else the same and the quote was about 50 cheaper...

Unfortunately the 3 speeding points are used as an excuse to call you a dangerous driver nowadays. I remember a few years ago when they were all touting for business and would ignore the first 2 points.

Try chill.ie but do NOT use the online generator for them or any company. Instead ring all companies as the online quotes seem to be pulled out of a hat at random and for old cars with points this will nearly always exceed €1500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

Car: 2014 1.6 Golf Match
    NCD: 8
    Licence: Full, 8
    Penalty Points:0
    Cover: FC

Current insurer: FBD
    Last Year: €640 but added 2nd named driver and changed car mid policy
    This year: €1057 but dropped to 995

Post insurance: 753
    Axa: 753
    123:809
    Corn market: 750
    Liberty: 893
    Its4women: wouldn’t work
    Aviva: 746

Went with post as it had lower excess and had better policy. Also found it interesting that so many quoted around the same mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Car: 2013 Hyundai i40
    NCD: 6
    Licence: Full, 10
    Penalty Points:0
    Cover: FC
    Area; Clare
    Other: Wife 32 also on policy

Last year; 557.5
    This year; 512 with AIG with telematics app.
    AIG rang me Friday and offered additional early bird discount so got it for 486.73.

AIB: 968.19
    Liberty 958.02
    AIG (new customer): 724.75
    I got bored looking for more then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

This is probably outside the scope of this thread but it sounds like you need to engage with the insolvency service of Ireland to negotiate a more manageable repayments schedule with the bank. The outstanding bank debt seems to be strangling your finances.

http://www.isi.gov.ie

fxotoole wrote: »
    This is probably outside the scope of this thread but it sounds like you need to engage with the insolvency service of Ireland to negotiate a more manageable repayments schedule with the bank. The outstanding bank debt seems to be strangling your finances.

http://www.isi.gov.ie

Tried. I'm not eligible. Apparently I earn enough to have a life and pay everything back. But the figures they use are crazy. I spend between €50-80 a week on petrol, they let me have €50. There's others, but at the end of the day I can apparently afford it.

I'm done with ringing around today, this is what I found:

* No named drivers as the parents are 'too old' to bring the cost down, it would only go up. Don't have a significant other. All based on:

- 10+ years NCD, Full Irish
    - Never a claim or conviction
    - 3 points but had them before last years renewal of €680
    - 2002 Volvo S40 1.8 Petrol
    - Tried a few with a 2011 Renault Laguna 2.0L Diesel and it was on average €50 cheaper, so can't be the car

Wouldn't give a quote: AIG, AA, Aviva, Supervalu, 123.ie

Quotes:

Axa - €1150
    Chill - €1064
    O'Donoghue, Hooper, Dolan - €1300
    Lynskey Ryan (Galway) - €920

Lynskey Ryan is the cheapest, but i never checked if i can pay DD, as I can't afford it up front. I'm giving up for today, I can't take the rejection any more. I'll try a few more tomorrow but there's a trend, and it's looking more and more like I won't be able to afford car insurance this year, so probably gonna lose my job. Great country we have.

Is there anywhere I can see all the criteria used to make-up calculate the quotes?

Or if there are any single females with a clean licence and lots of NCD and Full licence want to pretend to be my missus so I can add ye to the policy... :pac:

Edit: Added a female friend as a partner with roughly the same details (2 years younger, same no claims, full licence, 10+ years, etc), brought it down by €80... So it's not the car and it's not the drivers. It's gone up for no reason other than pure greed. I would have thought having over 10 years full licence and never a claim or conviction would mean something. Apparently not.

Edit 2: Tried a few different job titles to see if it made any difference, the real 'Call Centre Agent', tried the security and telecommunications industry for them, then tried Garda and Bank Staff, made no difference at all.

Final Edit: Cheapest I can seem to get is with Lynskey Ryan, TPFT, no named drivers, €600 excess and no NCD protection. €830. Still a crazy amount but unless something better comes along, i'll have to try and afford it. Whatever happened to the massive raid on the insurance company HQ's the start of the year? It's gotten worse since then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Tried. I'm not eligible. Apparently I earn enough to have a life and pay everything back. But the figures they use are crazy. I spend between €50-80 a week on petrol, they let me have €50. There's others, but at the end of the day I can apparently afford it.

I'm done with ringing around today, this is what I found:

* No named drivers as the parents are 'too old' to bring the cost down, it would only go up. Don't have a significant other. All based on:

- 10+ years NCD, Full Irish
    - Never a claim or conviction
    - 3 points but had them before last years renewal of €680
    - 2002 Volvo S40 1.8 Petrol
    - Tried a few with a 2011 Renault Laguna 2.0L Diesel and it was on average €50 cheaper, so can't be the car

Wouldn't give a quote: AIG, AA, Aviva, Supervalu, 123.ie

Quotes:

Axa - €1150
    Chill - €1064
    O'Donoghue, Hooper, Dolan - €1300
    Lynskey Ryan (Galway) - €920

Lynskey Ryan is the cheapest, but i never checked if i can pay DD, as I can't afford it up front. I'm giving up for today, I can't take the rejection any more. I'll try a few more tomorrow but there's a trend, and it's looking more and more like I won't be able to afford car insurance this year, so probably gonna lose my job. Great country we have.

Is there anywhere I can see all the criteria used to make-up calculate the quotes?

Or if there are any single females with a clean licence and lots of NCD and Full licence want to pretend to be my missus so I can add ye to the policy... :pac:

Edit: Added a female friend as a partner with roughly the same details (2 years younger, same no claims, full licence, 10+ years, etc), brought it down by €80... So it's not the car and it's not the drivers. It's gone up for no reason other than pure greed. I would have thought having over 10 years full licence and never a claim or conviction would mean something. Apparently not.

Have you tried Liberty?

I tried filling out a policy there for a 1.8 s40 as a 35 y/o male with 2 points for speeding and 9+ years license and ncb, no named drivers.
    Came back at 830.43
    It was cheaper when I named my parents.
    I just made up a few details to try and match yours so I won't be going ahead with this.
    Good luck

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Have you tried Liberty?

I tried filling out a policy there for a 1.8 s40 as a 35 y/o male with 2 points for speeding and 9+ years license and ncb, no named drivers.
    Came back at 830.43
    It was cheaper when I named my parents.
    I just made up a few details to try and match yours so I won't be going ahead with this.
    Good luck

Tried them, but 3 points, can't add one of the parents as they're over 70 and it only increases it. Without them, Liberty is €1669, with my mother it's €1004.

I should mention that the prices went crazy once I moved from Waterford City (Ferrybank) to Limerick County (Herbertstown). I was a Garda in Waterford, and there was a car stolen at least once a week. Where I'm living now, a car hasn't been stolen for as long as my parents can remember, so over 35 years. Hasn't been a bad crash in years, and there were crashes every day of the week, multiple times a day, in Waterford. I was driving a 02 E220 at the time, and my insurance went from €35/month to €118/month. No explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Does the Garda reps association (whatever that is called) have any preferential deals with insurance providers? There’s got to be some levers you can pull?

dudara wrote: »
    Does the Garda reps association (whatever that is called) have any preferential deals with insurance providers? There’s got to be some levers you can pull?

I don't think so, but I quit nearly 2 years ago so no good to me anymore!

Tried them, but 3 points, can't add one of the parents as they're over 70 and it only increases it. Without them, Liberty is €1669, with my mother it's €1004.

I should mention that the prices went crazy once I moved from Waterford City (Ferrybank) to Limerick County (Herbertstown). I was a Garda in Waterford, and there was a car stolen at least once a week. Where I'm living now, a car hasn't been stolen for as long as my parents can remember, so over 35 years. Hasn't been a bad crash in years, and there were crashes every day of the week, multiple times a day, in Waterford. I was driving a 02 E220 at the time, and my insurance went from €35/month to €118/month. No explanation.

Must be the address causing it so. I tried with a Sligo address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Where are the cheapest prices for 23 yo old females at the minimum?

• Advertisement

Kuva wrote: »
    Where are the cheapest prices for 23 yo old females at the minimum?

I always found liberty good as a young driver

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don't think so, but I quit nearly 2 years ago so no good to me anymore!

Not necessarily, some of these arrangements cover ex-members too.

dudara wrote: »
    Not necessarily, some of these arrangements cover ex-members too.

I'll look into it, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Potential-Monke, how about one of those insurance companies that offer cheaper insurance for people who stick a smart device in their car (Eg BoxyMo)? I know boxymo are targeting 17-25 year old drivers, but I don’t think they can refuse to insure you on age grounds.

Also I see Blue Insurance are offering car insurance over a 2 year period, which might help spread the cost out for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Blue will not insure 02 car so no point.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I've managed to get it down to €830 with Lynskey Ryan, but that cover is TPFT, €600 excess, no add-ons, no NCD protection, no named drivers. I stopped searching after a few hours yesterday to save my sanity, so I still have a few places to check, but i don't think i'm going to get it cheaper than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

Looking for suggestions

Got my renewal in €1600 euros fully comp with fbd. The policy was the first car in my own name and I took it out last year for €1100 fully comp

I'm 28 year old Male
    Car is kept in rural Meath
    Full Licence 10 years
    3 points last year got nabbed by the van on the naas road 112 in a 100
    1 year NCB in own name
    5-6+ years named driver experience
    No accidents
    the car in question is a 08 Lexus IS220D
    and I'm an Environmental Engineer

Shopped around and I'm getting quotes of around €1600 fully comp and the best I've got so far is €1100 TPFT. Who do I need to shout out/bribe to get a more reasonable quote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Have you rang "Quote devil"? my sister swears by them, no one would quote her here when she came back to Ireland after years abroad, but they asked for her last Irish NCB and gave her a quote, wasn't cheap, but she was happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭easyvision

try Zurich, not many people seem to try and they are cheapest for by by hundreds of euro!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Just got a renewal for my lad.
    21 next week
    1.2 Ibiza
    Full licence
    No points
    3rd year with Aviva
    Fully Comp
    Renewal was €540.
    Thrilled with that...

Advertisement