Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Seriously? I thought they paid actuaries a huge amount of money to use maths to calculate risk and premia? While I'd expect a machine does the calculation now, I always assumed there was some rational mathematical basis upon which they based every premium?

That is exactly how it is calculated. Just because slight variations in circumstances seem inconsequential to lay people doesn't mean their isn't a rational behind the quotation

That is exactly how it is calculated. Just because slight variations in circumstances seem inconsequential to lay people doesn't mean their isn't a rational behind the quotation

OK. So what possible risk justification could there be for that €40 more expensive quote just by making the 45-year-old woman six years younger?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Male,32, 2010 VW Scirocco 2.0 TDI ,170BHP,3points

Renewal from Allianz came at 725 incl. wife as named driver,
    Fully comp,windscreen,driving other cars,brakedown and full bonus protection.

I did few quotes online:
    Allianz as new customer 725 so same as mine
    Aviva 699 pay in full or 960(WTF???) pay monthly
    Aig 870 of 855 with app
    Bank of Ireland 2300 :D:D:D
    25plus 1100
    123.ie 870
    AXA 960
    Chill insurance 780 pay in full or around 860 monthly
    Liberty wont quote online.

Im goint to make few calls tomorrow but I'd say I wil stick to Allianz after im going to talk to them

OK. So what possible risk justification could there be for that €40 more expensive quote just by making the 45-year-old woman six years younger?

Because that insurer obviously has a better claims experience for the older driver driving that type of car, in that area, with that occupation etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Because they literally make it up.

If the result is consistently the same if you request the quote multiple times, they are not making it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

grogi wrote: »
    If the result is consistently the same if you request the quote multiple times, they are not making it up.

It's not consistent though, ranging from €1000 to €2100. And doesn't make sense in the slightest. For me anyway. The worst thing is that they don't have to tell you why.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It's not consistent though, ranging from €1000 to €2100. And doesn't make sense in the slightest. For me anyway. The worst thing is that they don't have to tell you why.

I find it hard to believe that you get different quotes if you enter exactly the same details...

So you want all Insurers to quote the same price, even though they could have experienced vastly different claims results? That would smack of a ............, you know the word I'm looking for

grogi wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that you get different quotes if you enter exactly the same details...

They're the quotes I was getting. Otherwise I wouldn't mention it. It's what has triggered me.
    So you want all Insurers to quote the same price, even though they could have experienced vastly different claims results? That would smack of a ............, you know the word I'm looking for

I'm looking for them to explain why. It's the only service where they don't have to justify they're figures. And how can someone 10 years younger with less experience get quoted for less in an older car that's a known boy racer car? If they were even close to each other, by a few hundred, i'd be ok with it, but vastly different amounts. Does my experience not come into account? Why is the car too old for some but not for the others? I'll tell you why; they make it up and hide behind 'company secrets' in the calculation of it.

An insurance company should have to show you where the loading is coming from, but they don't. So until that day, I will continue to believe they make it up. I've never been in a crash, never had a claim, 11 years driving on a full licence with 11 years NCD. Driving the safest car I can afford. But the car doesn't seem to matter as I used a 2011 Laguna and it was only €50 cheaper. Why? Because we said so. That's the answer. That's the infuriating part.

A mechanic will break down the costs. Plumbers and builders break it down. Nearly every service industry is required to give you an itemised receipt, but insurance companies can hide behind BS. One of them refused me and sent a letter with the reason: It doesn't meet our criteria. But they don't have to tell you what that criteria is.

As a ex-Garda, I can guarantee you that living nearer to a city increases the likelihood of being in a crash or your car been stolen. But it seems to be the reverse when it comes to car insurance. Or maybe it isn't. Who knows? They don't have to explain. Utter BS.

The answers to each and every point you raise has been explained many, many, many times in this forum

• Advertisement

The answers to each and every point you raise has been explained many, many, many times in this forum

Excuse me for not going back through 242 pages of conversation... Plus, things change. What was relevant last year may not be relevant this year. But, it doesn't matter. I know that some of the folks here are helpful. Some.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

You’re off duty now so just get the cheapest quote and off you go, it’s not a great conspiracy, do you go from Tesco to Lidl to SuperValu demanding to know why prices are different?

Rosser wrote: »
    You’re off duty now so just get the cheapest quote and off you go, it’s not a great conspiracy, do you go from Tesco to Lidl to SuperValu demanding to know why prices are different?

Oh yeah, because we can compare prices for groceries to car insurance. If groceries are too expensive, I don't buy them. Can't do the same for car insurance.

My point is my cheapest quote is more expensive than my first year driving.

Not getting the off-duty comment, unless it was some sarcastic dig at my previous employment.

Anyway, this is obviously another one of the forums ruined by people who'd rather make smart comments than help. Grand. I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Oh yeah, because we can compare prices for groceries to car insurance. If groceries are too expensive, I don't buy them. Can't do the same for car insurance.

My point is my cheapest quote is more expensive than my first year driving.

Not getting the off-duty comment, unless it was some sarcastic dig at my previous employment.

Anyway, this is obviously another one of the forums ruined by people who'd rather make smart comments than help. Grand. I'm out.

If groceries are too expensive you buy them somewhere else or you starve.

I wasn’t trying to be sarcastic I was being overt in my reference to your last job which I actually have a great deal of respect for.

The explanations have been given many times, they do not make them up but insurers do not all have the same risk appetite nor do they have the same claim experience so they price accordingly.

They might not fit the conspiracy narrative but facts are stubborn things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭9935452

Male,32, 2010 VW Scirocco 2.0 TDI ,170BHP,3points

Renewal from Allianz came at 725 incl. wife as named driver,
    Fully comp,windscreen,driving other cars,brakedown and full bonus protection.

I did few quotes online:
    Allianz as new customer 725 so same as mine
    Aviva 699 pay in full or 960(WTF???) pay monthly
    Aig 870 of 855 with app
    Bank of Ireland 2300 :D:D:D
    25plus 1100
    123.ie 870
    AXA 960
    Chill insurance 780 pay in full or around 860 monthly
    Liberty wont quote online.

Im goint to make few calls tomorrow but I'd say I wil stick to Allianz after im going to talk to them

Its funny. Bank of ireland were the cheapest for me at 550 for fully comp with all the frills incl fully comp driving of other cars on a 09 a4 2.0tdi for a 36 year old with max no claims. Fbd were looking for 950. Everyone else were looking for 800 to 1000 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

36 yo full license 2011 1.6 dsl mondeo partner (40) insured also with own car

Got my renewal for this year 705euro down fromm 790 last year. Shopped around and got it with AA for 618.

Considering year before last the renewal quote was 1100 euro before i shopped around im quite impressed with what i paying now

2016 1100 euro
    2017 790 euro
    2018 618 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Just got a renewal for my lad.
    21 next week
    1.2 Ibiza
    Full licence
    No points
    3rd year with Aviva
    Fully Comp
    Renewal was €540.
    Thrilled with that...

Update :
    Called Aviva today and questioned the quote,they hadn't applied a multicast discount to the quotation (my car is with them also) and they came back with his premium now at €509.:)):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Update :
    Called Aviva today and questioned the quote,they hadn't applied a multicast discount to the quotation (my car is with them also) and they came back with his premium now at €509.:)):)

Thats nearly an extra ten pints this weekend. 5 each :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

After getting a stupid renewal quote (e838)from bank of Ireland for my car insurance I went online and shopped around. Best quote was from aa car insurance for e668 fully comp with all the extras. For some reason it emailed me the cheaper quote for e615, this had just basic cover. So yesterday I received a call from aa car insurance team and was pleasantly surprised when,upon telling them I want the more loaded quote, they offered me everything I wanted for e550 for the year. This mirrors my current cover, so I have everything I need, while making a saving of nearly e300. Needless to say I called my current provider to bargain them down, they would only come down to e740. Told them there and then I would not be renewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Car: Opel Vectra 2007 1.6 saloon
    License Full since December 2017
    Current Insurer- Allianze 1750
    3 years NCB
    Male

Allianz renewal - 1369 (got them down to 1289)
    Aviva 1270 (Hour driving course required)
    AA - 1485.99
    Chill via RSA - 999 (then further discount to 954)

Obviously went with Chill through RSA for 954

1750 down to 954 is a serious reduction. (Father in law pays more insurance and is driving 20+ years, now calling his own insurance giving out stink LOL)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 KealB99

Car type and engine: 2012 Volkswagen Golf match 1.6 tdi

NCB: 2 years in my own name with full license for 1 year

Price and provider: €1500 fully comp with liberty with the standard driving of other cars

Not bad considering it’s down from €2,500 last year and €4,150 the year before!

Edit: Probably worth noting the car is down on insurance as being modified also

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭inna981

Car: 2013 Peugeot 308 1.6HDi
    My mother: 57 full licence driving 30 years with 9+ years NCB
    Currently with Bank of Ireland Insurance (RSA) with €533 renewal. Fully comp

Top 3:
    BOI Insurance: €452 (new customer)
    Liberty: €487
    Its4Women: €480

Went with Bank of Ireland again as a new customer

Highest was 123.ie @ €952

KealB99 wrote: »

Car type and engine: 2012 Volkswagen Golf match 1.6 tdi

NCB: 2 years in my own name with full license for 1 year

Price and provider: €1500 fully comp with liberty with the standard driving of other cars

Not bad considering it’s down from €2,500 last year and €4,150 the year before!

Edit: Probably worth noting the car is down on insurance as being modified also
    Modified how,,if you don't mind me asking.

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Thats nearly an extra ten pints this weekend. 5 each :pac:

Renewed today, upgraded the policy to Full NCB protection,added Mrs Odyssey,got the whole deal for €530.:D
    Still pinching myself

Modified how,,if you don't mind me asking.

Aftermarket alloys, coilovers, aftermarket exhaust system and aftermarket front/back bumper and skirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Aftermarket alloys, coilovers, aftermarket exhaust system and aftermarket front/back bumper and skirts.

Fair play. I didn't think people actually did that. Did it make much of a difference declaring it?

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Fair play. I didn't think people actually did that. Did it make much of a difference declaring it?

Ya I said I better declare it just to be on the safe side, as far as I know it was only the coilovers that made a difference, and as far as I can remember the difference was in the region of €100. Worth it for the peace of mind!

Ya I said I better declare it just to be on the safe side, as far as I know it was only the coilovers that made a difference, and as far as I can remember the difference was in the region of €100. Worth it for the peace of mind!

Top marks. €100 for peace of mind is as good as free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭patnor1011

43 years old full eu licence, NCB 10+, insured in my name with a wife as the second driver.
    670 paid a year ago with its4women no claims, no points, no changes
    1314.62 renewal quote.
    After using their online chat box where I queried why the price went up so much and getting a reply that "as you know insurance premiums increased" I got another "best" quote of 1215.60

Quick online quotes from other insurers were 860 with axa and 533 with 123.ie for the same cover with actually few more extras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

Old
    Max NCB.
    438 last year Aviva Direct
    537 Renewal this year
    460 Post Insurance --- With AVIVA --- Work that one out .

Advertisement