Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Area may be a factor and the car type also.

Go with as small an engine as possible.

Keep it 1.0 or less if you can.

I got quoted more for a 1.0 Aygo than a 1.8 turbo Audi TT, so there goes that theory..........
    Yep that wouldn't surprise me at all. When I was insuring an Avensis two years ago that was barely worth a grand 3 brokers actively encouraged me to push the value up to have a better chance of getting and get a better quote....which seemed to work. One went ahead and pushed up the value without even telling me they were doing so.

When I suggested pushing up the value of my current car to a guy I was getting a quote with over the phone in order to get a better quote he almost tore a chunk outta me........ Christ like? He backed down when I told him other providers had previously encouraged the practice.
    This post has been deleted.

It's an even bigger joke when you consider that the value you put on the proposal is irrelevant - they only pay 'market value' anyway, so you valuing your car at 10k, when the going rate is 5k, means in the event of a claim, means they'll still only pay you the 5k.
    Otoh, if you do it the other way around: put on the proposal that your car is worth 5k, but the real market value is 10k, well, guess what ? - in the event of a claim you would get.............€5k. Win-Win-Win for the insurers.

I can't believe in 2017 I'm still having the same conversation I was having in 1987.....and I despair for my 2 kids getting on the road.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Yep that wouldn't surprise me at all. When I was insuring an Avensis two years ago that was barely worth a grand 3 brokers actively encouraged me to push the value up to have a better chance of getting and get a better quote....which seemed to work. One went ahead and pushed up the value without even telling me they were doing so.

Got the same advise from the dealer to use a value €1000 higher than i paid for the car when i bought it.

I was in a **** situation back then anyway as it was my first insurance here and my 70% NCB from Holland had expired.
    Very few quotes and the cheapest was FBD with €1100
    Still have nightmares

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

We need someone like arrow/Oliver Queen to sort out the scummers who have failed our little island.

So many useless fu*ks. To much civil obedience. The weight of bins will be back soon aswell, that was never dealt with, kicked down the road by our next probable great leader, Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

Age 34
    Points 3
    Full no claims bonus
    Car 2.0 audi a4 2008
    Fully comp
    Full protection on ncb
    Father named on policy
    €590 with allianz

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bot32

age 43

years driving 16 years
    car hyundai i30 deluxe 2008 1.4
    any claims 1
    no points
    8 years no claims protected
    price fully comp 594 eruo with itsforwomen
    and you can drive other cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Seems like Liberty is the only option for me now. Have to Put a few mates down as named drivers and hopefully that'll drive it down.

Do you mind me asking what Liberty have quoted?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

pogsick wrote: »

Car: 06 Renault Laguna 1.6 Petrol

NCD: 5years

Licence: 5 years

Cover: Fully comp

Best quote: €670 with cover in a click(underwritten by Allianz)

I was with Allianz got it for €600 last year added the girlfriend who's a learner and they brought it up to €900, they were looking for €1700 this year with her or €980 without, she has her own car now so removing her anyway, I really don't understand how cover in a click can get me cheaper cover with Allianz than I can directly but I'm not complaining.

Dropped to tpft this year, €625 with whoops.ie, fully protected bonus and can drive other cars everywhere else looking for at least €900 for same or less

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

With renewal time coming around here is the fun i'm having being 30 with a full licence and 6 years NCB on my Mazda 6:

FBD: 952
    123: 825
    Axa: 1462
    Allianz: 1007
    Quinn: 1086
    AA: 1137
    Campion: 1011
    AIG: 1079
    MCCarthy: 1354
    Britton: 895

The swing between cheapest and most expensive is staggering.

I rang Chill and they gave me a quote of 1700 euro! When i queried the high price he just said "Thats the market we're in at the moment"

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

Vicxas wrote: »
    With renewal time coming around here is the fun i'm having being 30 with a full licence and 6 years NCB on my Mazda 6:

FBD: 952
    123: 825
    Axa: 1462
    Allianz: 1007
    Quinn: 1086
    AA: 1137
    Campion: 1011
    AIG: 1079
    MCCarthy: 1354
    Britton: 895

The swing between cheapest and most expensive is staggering.

I rang Chill and they gave me a quote of 1700 euro! When i queried the high price he just said "Thats the market we're in at the moment"

Try whoops.ie and coverinaclick whoops gave me a really good quote this year with coverinaclick being close behind

• Registered Users Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Gender; M
    Age; 37
    Car; 2014 Nissan Leaf
    No Claims; 4 (accident 2 years ago but have step back protection)
    Full Licence; 10+ years
    Cover - fully comp
    Price - €1530!!!
    Went up from €500 to €820 last year due to a claim. This year it has increased by 90%.

A little bit of good news now...

After arguing the point with 123 and unsurprisingly getting nowhere, I happened to notice when trawling through old renewal documents that I was on the wrong point of my protected NCB. This error was also on last year's renewal.

So they have reluctantly agreed that they overcharged me last year, and gave me a refund of €116 on last year's premium.

They also had to update this month's renewal to take into account an extra year's NCB, and I would assume they look at last year's price when calculating the renewal, and my price for this year has dropped from €1530 to €1245.

That's still an outrageous figure considering that 2 years ago I was paying €500 and I've had one small claim in nearly 20 years of driving, but pulling them up on that error has saved me €400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭Ryath

Car: 16 Opel Zafira 1.6
    NCD: 9years+

Licence: 10 years

Cover: Fully comp

Got my renewal from aviva €562.5 changed to them last year and payed €379 on a 08 Mondeo. Only had a chance to check a few looking like I may not do better.

Axa €810
    Liberty €740.37
    Chill €690
    AA wouldn't give me online qoute? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

DrPhilG wrote: »
    After arguing the point with 123 and unsurprisingly getting nowhere, I happened to notice when trawling through old renewal documents that I was on the wrong point of my protected NCB. This error was also on last year's renewal.

So they have reluctantly agreed that they overcharged me last year, and gave me a refund of €116 on last year's premium.

Fair play to you on that. Not too often you'd be getting much out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

After going round in circles with quotes well into 4 figures, stayed with BOI. Just over E600... 2000 car, driver nearing 80

Interesting that they knocked off literally half for my NCB .

Good to be sorted ....living on bread and water but there we are..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Saved a friend 750 euro today

She is 25, 3 years named driving experience and a full license one year on a 1.2 fiesta. Cheapest she got was 1600. Told her ring liberty and add myself as a named driver. She did, and added her mother.

917euro with liberty vs 1600 with Aviva. Same details. That is some serious gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

^^^In monetary terms its a serious gap alright but in percentage terms I've seen more serious gaps. I actually managed to get it for €412.81 in the end but was quoted figures in excess of €1,000.

In previous years there would have being as much of a gap in monetary terms and more as per your friends.

Fair to say your friend owes you a few pints or whatever your poison issmile.png

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

Being quoted €1,300 for fully comp then €670 for third party. Insurance premium high as I spent a number of years out of Ireland.

For the first time ever I'm seriously think of getting third party insurance. That's a crazy difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

€670 for someone who has come back to Ireland is pretty good. I have heard of €4K quotes where a person has returned after only 3 years abroad.

That's third party though, not fully comp.

Toying with the idea of it for car over €15k not sure it's worth it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭dodzy

Any suggestions for an insurer that will quote the old man. 81yrs of age but still in great shape. Just got a renewal from FI. Up from 600 to 1200€. Cruel.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭dodzy

Ringing now. Will feedback. Cheers fred.

update:1030 best price 3rd p/f&t. Still hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Car: 08 Audi A3
    Licence: full 7 years
    NCD: 8 years
    Cover: full comp, protected
    Insurer: last year was Aviva for 420
    This year Zurich for 590

Car was off the road for 7 months due to travelling, this caused some hassle with some of the company's

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

dodzy wrote: »
    Any suggestions for an insurer that will quote the old man. 81yrs of age but still in great shape. Just got a renewal from FI. Up from 600 to 1200€. Cruel.

Try caoga.com

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

i have a 2003 nissan micra, 1 liter engine. in my first year i paid 800 euro with axa.
    then 1200.

just now they wanted 1450.

are they insane? i called, the guy said "best i can do is 1300". yeah, screw you. now i'm back at 800 with allianz.

which is still a LOT, considering the car only has 50k miles and the value is what, around 1000-2000 maybe. and that peers of mine are driving 2 liter engine cars and are only paying 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

i have a 2003 nissan micra, 1 liter engine. in my first year i paid 800 euro with axa.
    then 1200.

just now they wanted 1450.

are they insane? i called, the guy said "best i can do is 1300". yeah, screw you. now i'm back at 800 with allianz.

which is still a LOT, considering the car only has 50k miles and the value is what, around 1000-2000 maybe. and that peers of mine are driving 2 liter engine cars and are only paying 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

murfilein wrote: »
    is that full cover? if the car is only worth 2K max id carry third party only, but hey that's just me :)

Got my renewal from Liberty 750e Fully comp 2.0 Golf GTI (cant remember last years but it was 700 or so)

Went onto their website and got the same policy for 550e
    only difference I can see is now I have step back instead of full NCB protection.

From what Im hearing the NCB protection is a bit of a scam anyways ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Driving a 2007 Opel Zafira 1598CC . With Liberty Insurance for last few years, last year was 380 fully comp, year before 300 fully comp, this year quoted 630.
    Went to caoga.ie and was quoted 323.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Driving a 2007 Opel Zafira 1598CC . With Liberty Insurance for last few years, last year was 380 fully comp, year before 300 fully comp, this year quoted 630.
    Went to caoga.ie and was quoted 323.

just tried there and couldn't complete the online form because my year of birth falls outside their range (I'm too young for them)
    Caoga.com can quote you if:
    • You are over 50 and under 80 years of age.

WTF? How is this not discrimination?

Advertisement