Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,253 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Insurance renewal time here and I’m absolutely shocked at my renewal price

€1,050 :eek: Haven’t had a quote that high since I started driving.

Female
    30+
    171 Mercedes Benz
    0 penalty points
    6+ no claims bonus
    Fully comprehensive
    Open driving

Last years price was €750 that’s a massive hike

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭inna981

considering the age of the car and driver that's a damn good deal.

just out of curiosity what was your first years premium with zero years driving?

It was something around 1225 with Boxymo plus top up km which brought it to about 1500

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Hasmunch wrote: »
    Just got my renewal letter form Aviva yesterday...
    Car: 10 Ford Mondeo 2.0 Diesel
    NCD: 5+ Years
    Licence: 10 Years, No Points
    Cover: Comp, 600 Excess with Protected NCD
    Last Year:2016 €633 Aviva
    Renewal: 2017 €640 Aviva

Got my renewal this week. 2018 €484 still with Aviva
    Nice drop for some unknown reason but i am not complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

shaunr68 wrote: »
    Tried an online quote with Aviva and got the message "We are unable to complete your quote online."

However when I changed previous insurer from "other non-Ireland" to an Irish based insurer from the drop-down list the price was quoted as €373, by far the cheapest yet.

I've just phoned them and they will honour that price as long as I can supply the proof of NCB from Direct Line in the UK. Pretty happy at that price.

Thank you.
    Just a follow-up for info. Aviva were completely incompetent, feckless, frustrating, inept, clueless. They quite understandably wanted proof that I'd cancelled the UK policy as well as evidence of the no claims bonus before we could take out a policy with them. Fair enough, obtained .PDF evidence of no claims from UK insurer which also stated the policy end date as 18/01/18, and sent to Aviva by email. Phoned them later the same day. "Thanks, we will need to send this all over to the underwriters for authorisation, it might take some time, phone us back in a week!" A bloody week, we live out in the middle of nowhere and have no other means of transport. They hadn't given us any indication that there would be a significant delay while they dithered over the documentation.

They finally got back to me and said that because the final period of cover on the UK policy was less than a full year (I'd cancelled the policy last week, 6 months from renewal) that it would not be sufficient evidence of 5 full years no claims discount. This despite the evidence of no claims document from Direct Line UK stating 10 years no claims discount (we're actually 20+ years claim free but the bonus maxes out at 10). So how does a document confirming 9 1/2 years NCD not satisfy a requirement to prove at least 5 years NCD? They can't even count! F&$*wits!!

Sent Aviva a snotty e-mail and paid €480 for the An Post policy, €100 dearer but they were a pleasure to deal, phoned me back when they said they would, sent documents promptly with and I got the impression that they were capable of tying their own shoelaces.

I wouldn't touch Aviva with a s**tty stick! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Funnily my dad got his Aviva renewal out this year.

He paid €507 last year for fully comp, himself and my mam only driving, full NCD protection. He is 63 and retired / part time farmer. Car is a 2013 2l avensis.

He had a claim mid year for €5000 when my man crashed into a van. Thankfully no injury claim came through and the claim has settled.

Renewal arrived for €485 all in.

He was delighted with that and the speed and ease of the claims process.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Thankfully no injury claim came through and the claim has settled.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Was someone actually in the van??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Kuva wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Was someone actually in the van??

Yep, but it wasn't a van full of people of a certain now ethnic persuasion, luckily.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

that's a focking racket why do my family and I get ****** every year for insurance and none of us ever claimed and never would even if there was an accident yet someone can claim for 5000 euro and still get a 500 odd euro quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

that's a focking racket why do my family and I get raped every year for insurance and none of us ever claimed and never would even if there was an accident yet someone can claim for 5000 euro and still get a 500 odd euro quote?

I know it doesn't make sense at all. I had a claim once years ago but I paid for it this is going back before they even had protect your NCB. But I cannot complain as I got reasonable quote this year on a 1998 jap import entry level performance Toyota Levin BZ-R.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

My insurance doubled.... Was 1k now just €1980.....
    I haven't claimed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

You're not alone there

I had a similar experience with them
    shaunr68 wrote: »
    Just a follow-up for info. Aviva were completely incompetent, feckless, frustrating, inept, clueless. They quite understandably wanted proof that I'd cancelled the UK policy as well as evidence of the no claims bonus before we could take out a policy with them. Fair enough, obtained .PDF evidence of no claims from UK insurer which also stated the policy end date as 18/01/18, and sent to Aviva by email. Phoned them later the same day. "Thanks, we will need to send this all over to the underwriters for authorisation, it might take some time, phone us back in a week!" A bloody week, we live out in the middle of nowhere and have no other means of transport. They hadn't given us any indication that there would be a significant delay while they dithered over the documentation.

They finally got back to me and said that because the final period of cover on the UK policy was less than a full year (I'd cancelled the policy last week, 6 months from renewal) that it would not be sufficient evidence of 5 full years no claims discount. This despite the evidence of no claims document from Direct Line UK stating 10 years no claims discount (we're actually 20+ years claim free but the bonus maxes out at 10). So how does a document confirming 9 1/2 years NCD not satisfy a requirement to prove at least 5 years NCD? They can't even count! F&$*wits!!

Sent Aviva a snotty e-mail and paid €480 for the An Post policy, €100 dearer but they were a pleasure to deal, phoned me back when they said they would, sent documents promptly with and I got the impression that they were capable of tying their own shoelaces.

I wouldn't touch Aviva with a s**tty stick! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

So, have 9 years protected NCB with AIG (through 25Plus)
    Last years premium was €433

Had a claim for €2k in November when i reversed into a bollard, damaging the quarter panel.

Renewal quote from 25Plus came in at €620, up almost 40%.

Going through the websites at the moment for quotes, and had 3 refusals so far.
    Called Aviva and they told me that the refusal was due to my above claim.
    The agent kindly referred me to Chill or QuoteDevil. I've dealt with Chill before and would rather avoid them!

They are sending me out a refusal letter, so If I collect three of these I can go to the ombudsman?

Anyhow, has anyone got suggestions of who I might best go to, so I don't waste too much more time form filling?
    Insurance expires next Monday.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

That's still a very reasonable quote from 25plus considering you had a claim.

Had a claim for €2k in November when i reversed into a bollard, damaging the quarter panel.

Going through the websites at the moment for quotes, and had 3 refusals so far.
    Called Aviva and they told me that the refusal was due to my above claim.
    The agent kindly referred me to Chill or QuoteDevil. I've dealt with Chill before and would rather avoid them!

They are sending me out a refusal letter, so If I collect three of these I can go to the ombudsman?

Anyhow, has anyone got suggestions of who I might best go to, so I don't waste too much more time form filling?
    Insurance expires next Monday.

But you haven't been refused insurance.

Of course the others won't quote as you are locked in as you claimed.

Even if one has no claims protection etc etc they can still just increase ones premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

€620 with a claim last year?! Happy days - don't look further, you won't find a better quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

My insurance is more than that without any claims!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Try a 25% increase without any claims or penalty points whatsoever.

Not saying you should just swallow it but .... i think you should just swallow it.
    Would be very surprised if you can do better elsewhere.

grogi wrote: »
    €620 with a claim last year?! Happy days - don't look further, you won't find a better quote.

Car insurance is a different animal to home insurance so?

I had a €20k+ claim on house insurance few years ago, and the premium went up by only around 5% on renewal.

I thought the point of insurance was that they spread the risk by collecting premiums from many to covers the cost of the payouts to the few. I don't expect the insurer to hike my premium so that they can recover the relatively small sum that they paid out in my case - it's not like it was tens of thousands in injury compensation and legal fees!

It's a sad state of affairs when people are accepting that this is normal way for insurers to do business. We re mandated by law to have insurance, and they appear to have us over a barrel with little to no active regulation of their practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Car insurance is a different animal to home insurance so?

I had a €20k+ claim on house insurance few years ago, and the premium went up by only around 5% on renewal.

I thought the point of insurance was that they spread the risk by collecting premiums from many to covers the cost of the payouts to the few. I don't expect the insurer to hike my premium so that they can recover the relatively small sum that they paid out in my case - it's not like it was tens of thousands in injury compensation and legal fees!

You're right - it's about spreading the risk. It is not uncommon to have payments north of €100k from a single policy. Under no circumstances the insurer would recover that from the insured.

With your motor claim you were at fault, and as a result now you are much higher risk than you were before. Hence the premium hike.

grogi wrote: »
    You're right - it's about spreading the risk. But with the motor claim you were at fault, and as a result now you are much higher risk than you were before.

Lower risk surely!
    I'll be more careful next time I'm reversing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

If you have a quote, the Ombudsman won't entertain you. They will assist those that cannot obtain cover. It is not their function to get you a premium you are happy with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Lads I've been getting quoted between 1300-3000 and I'm pulling my hair out at this stage.

25 year old male
    06 1.6 Petrol Golf, no modifications
    3 years own no claim bonus,
    2 years named driver experience with no claims,
    No penalty points,
    Full license 5 years,
    Split time between Dublin and a rural town Galway but have Galway down as address (Not sure is this advantageous or not?)
    Work as an actuary

Best quote was 1250 with AXA who I've been with for 3 years, can anyone think of a better place to try? FBD, 25plus, Liberty, 123, chill , Aviva haven't been able to beat it.

domrush wrote: »
    Lads I've been getting quoted between 1300-3000 and I'm pulling my hair out at this stage.

25 year old male
    06 1.6 Petrol Golf, no modifications
    3 years own no claim bonus,
    2 years named driver experience with no claims,
    No penalty points,
    Full license 5 years,
    Split time between Dublin and a rural town Galway but have Galway down as address (Not sure is this advantageous or not?)
    Work as an actuary

Best quote was 1250 with AXA who I've been with for 3 years, can anyone think of a better place to try? FBD, 25plus, Liberty, 123, chill , Aviva haven't been able to beat it.

Sorry I can't help but who gave you the quote of €3,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

KennCo might be worth a go. There coming the best for me by about €250. Brokers have said to me on the phone that there one of the cheapest at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Sorry I can't help but who gave you the quote of €3,000?

No worries, think it was Chill.

BOI €2400 just there.

KennCo might be worth a go. There coming the best for me by about €250. Brokers have said to me on the phone that there one of the cheapest at the moment.

Thanks, I tried them online but couldn't give me a quote. Worth ringing up or a waste of time? You could spend an afternoon just trying to get a quote out of 4 providers over the phone!

Your issue is what they would class a high risk car as it is high powered and in higher bracket.

Ridiculous yes but this is the world of insurance.

Thanks, I tried them online but couldn't give me a quote. Worth ringing up or a waste of time? You could spend an afternoon just trying to get a quote out of 4 providers over the phone!

Some providers do give you a quote when you ring even though they wouldn't give you a quote online. I have no idea why that is or if it is all providers but in the past I done it.

Some providers do give you a quote when you ring even though they wouldn't give you a quote online. I have no idea why that is or if it is all providers but in the past I done it.

I learned last week that some online systems weren't quoting me because the car had no tax.

Give them a go yeah. You age and NCB are similar to mine so its worth a try. I'm getting 870 Fully Comp from them through First Ireland on a 1.8 Civic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

I learned last week that some online systems weren't quoting me because the car had no tax.

Someone mentioned aswell that he got no quote cuz he clicked that his previous insurer wasn't irish.

Advertisement