Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 2015/2016 Season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Yeah Aki's for me too. Brilliant finish.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Bazzo wrote: »
    Yeah Aki's for me too. Brilliant finish.

more this

13KItmwXE01oZy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Just took a look at the leaderboard for the golden boot there and Tovey is leading it for the year with a 79% sucess rate?! Bad year for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Aki try is the best

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

McCloskey for me. There is just something so satisfying about holding three men off and still moving forward to score a try.

Big shout out for Gilroys feet and Buckleys pass at scrumhalf for Healys try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd go for Gilroy's. Incredible feet and identifying the opportunity. Had a huge amount to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Tries againts italian teams dont count

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Best thing about Aki's try was it started in Connacht's own 22 and Healy did a trademark grubber and gather
    That clip doesn't even do it justice

Tries againts italian teams dont count

And tries against Munster do?

Come off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Has to be Aki's alright, the offload from Robbie is just out of this world. I'm sure the context of the try isn't really factored in to something like this but the fact that it sealed our first away win against Munster in donkeys years made it all the more special. I liked McCloskey's too, really showed the power of the man.

Harsh to say that tries against Italian teams don't count but it is very noticeable how pretty much all of the tries that involve someone beating about 5 men on their way to the line come against the Italian teams which surely can't just be a coincidence. They are dreadful defensively and a great solo effort like Gilroy's, Healy's and Hogg's surely must be qualified by pointing out the standard of defending they had to get through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

Fair play to TG4. According to the schedule they are showing both Treviso v Connacht and Munster v Edinburgh tonight. Coverage starts at 6.15pm.
    Great coverage of the Rugby.

OldRio wrote: »
    Fair play to TG4. According to the schedule they are showing both Treviso v Connacht and Munster v Edinburgh tonight. Coverage starts at 6.15pm.
    Great coverage of the Rugby.

Only first half of Connacht. After that, it's on their website.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Buer wrote: »
    Only first half of Connacht. After that, it's on their website.

And saorview red button & UPC channel 602

They might hit 70,000 in Cardiff this weekend. That's crazy.

I'm not sure we could do that even if we had the capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There's only tickets behind one of the posts left. Those tickets are only £10, bargain!

I wonder if it's something the IRFU will consider for the Aviva in the next few years. Leinster v Connacht & Munster v Ulster to open the season? You can rotate the team that loses a 'home' game. For Leinster I know that this would take a game away from the RDS that Leinster might be otherwise obliged to hold there due to the RDS deal...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It's like the Wembley games, good marketing, huge crowds, but where are the fans for all the other games?

Zzippy wrote: »
    It's like the Wembley games, good marketing, huge crowds, but where are the fans for all the other games?

It's probably the 'one game a season' for many people, which is fine. There's no reason we couldn't do the same here and even rotate it around the country (if you can get the GAA on board). It would be nice to see some innovation to try to gain interest in the league. The Welsh in fairness have made Judgment Day popular after a few years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It's probably the 'one game a season' for many people, which is fine. There's no reason we couldn't do the same here and even rotate it around the country (if you can get the GAA on board). It would be nice to see some innovation to try to gain interest in the league. The Welsh in fairness have made Judgment Day popular after a few years.

Yep, it's a great idea, well marketed. I think we'd pack the Aviva if we did it here - 2 interpros on the one day, I'd definitely travel for it.

Yep, it's a great idea, well marketed. I think we'd pack the Aviva if we did it here - 2 interpros on the one day, I'd definitely travel for it.

Thinking about it, I bet we could probably even charge a fair bit more than the WRU have done a fill the Aviva, probably a lot more profitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

No reason it can't be done, just a question of how you divvy up the cash, and it would be a savage day out.

It would probably have to be Leinster v Ulster and Connacht v Munster to generate maximum incremental benefit.

• Advertisement

No reason it can't be done, just a question of how you divvy up the cash, and it would be a savage day out.

It would probably have to be Leinster v Ulster and Connacht v Munster to generate maximum incremental benefit.

Or Connacht v Leinster and Munster v Ulster

Noone really bothers going to see Connacht and our development province down in Munster!

Or Connacht v Leinster and Munster v Ulster

Noone really bothers going to see Connacht and our development province down in Munster!

It has to be a Leinster home game, the culchies would go mad at Leinster playing an away game in Dublin. The Ulster guys still aren't over having to play their 'home' Pro12 semi in the RDS in 2013...

It has to be a Leinster home game, the culchies would go mad at Leinster playing an away game in Dublin. The Ulster guys still aren't over having to play their 'home' Pro12 semi in the RDS in 2013...

I think it should be Ulster v Leinster in the Aviva with Justice Lacey as ref with Clarity Clancy and Bodge Hodges as the ARs. They'd go for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

I think it should be Ulster v Leinster in the Aviva with Justice Lacey as ref with Clarity Clancy and Bodge Hodges as the ARs. They'd go for that.

We'll provide priority parking for Hodges in the Sportsground on that day

The Pro12 season starts off really quietly, a Irish double header would kick it off in style.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

The Pro12 season starts off really quietly, a Irish double header would kick it off in style.

Love the idea of a double header, but wouldn't like it too early in the season. The teams all tend to be a bit rusty for the first couple of games. Plus you would probably have to rest the internationals after the summer tour

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

b.gud wrote: »
    Love the idea of a double header, but wouldn't like it too early in the season. The teams all tend to be a bit rusty for the first couple of games. Plus you would probably have to rest the internationals after the summer tour

This. Irish teams are never up to full strength until the week before Europe. International players return a few at a time over the first 3-4 weeks of the season. And with 3 match summer tours here to stay that's not going to change.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

why would Leinster agree to share the gate in Lansdowne for one of their home games when they can get 40k on their own?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Podge_irl wrote: »
    why would Leinster agree to share the gate in Lansdowne for one of their home games when they can get 40k on their own?

Yeah. I don't think it would be as popular amongst the Irish provinces as (even with Munsters poor attendances this season) they get much larger gates than the Welsh get.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »

They wouldn't do it for Leinster v Munster, but home games against the other provinces don't draw the same sort of interest.

Advertisement