Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 2015/2016 Season thread

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mod - moved post and created new thread for next season :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Next season's odds sorted in order. I have no idea why Leinster and Munster are shorter odds than Glasgow.

Leinster 5/2
    Munster 11/4
    Glasgow 10/3
    Ulster 4/1
    Ospreys 11/2
    Scarlets 20/1
    Edinburgh 40/1
    Cardiff 50/1
    Connacht 50/1
    Dragons 100/1
    Treviso 500/1
    Zebre 500/1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

awec wrote: »
    Next season's odds sorted in order. I have no idea why Leinster and Munster are shorter odds than Glasgow.

Leinster 5/2
    Munster 11/4
    Glasgow 10/3
    Ulster 4/1
    Ospreys 11/2
    Scarlets 20/1
    Edinburgh 40/1
    Cardiff 50/1
    Connacht 50/1
    Dragons 100/1
    Treviso 500/1
    Zebre 500/1
    Munster will be less affected by international call ups than Glasgow so odds make sense. No idea how Leinster have shortest odds

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Munster will be less affected by international call ups than Glasgow so odds make sense. No idea how Leinster have shortest odds

Sexton. But he's not gonna play enough to make a difference. Though if we make the playoffs we will give us every shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

not sure what is in the charter regarding linking to other forums, but the Scarlets fans are none to pleased with the fixture list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

wp_rathead wrote: »
    not sure what is in the charter regarding linking to other forums, but the Scarlets fans are none to pleased with the fixture list

I can't blame them. Horrific start to the season and then 3 Friday home games in three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

awec wrote: »

Leinster 5/2
    Munster 11/4
    Glasgow 10/3
    Ulster 4/1
    Ospreys 11/2
    Scarlets 20/1
    Edinburgh 40/1
    Cardiff 50/1
    Connacht 50/1
    Dragons 100/1
    Treviso 500/1
    Zebre 500/1

So Leinster are favourites? Now what would that be based on?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,720 ✭✭✭✭phog

wp_rathead wrote: »

I haven't read too much of this season's fixtures but the Welsh in general are very annoyed at all the Sunday evening games they get.

TBH, while TV is great for those who can't or won't go games some of the scheduling is murdering attendances.

Something will have to give.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is it S4C who want the Sunday games?

I thought it was Welsh driven somehow that they end up with them.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Is it S4C who want the Sunday games?

I thought it was Welsh driven somehow that they end up with them.

Almost certainly not.

Simon Thomas a Welsh rugby journalist has mentioned the Sunday slot being left to S4C as opposed to it being their choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I see Connacht v Edinburgh will clash with the World Cup final.

nc6000 wrote: »
    I see Connacht v Edinburgh will clash with the World Cup final.

Bit of a payne for Connacht that Henshaw won't be available.

(see what I did there)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Bit of a payne for Connacht that Henshaw won't be available.

(see what I did there)

Please leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

No Lansdowne Road game for Leinster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

No Lansdowne Road game for Leinster?

The Munster game will be moved there.

It would also appear that there is no Italian tv deal in place again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

phog wrote: »
    Almost certainly not.

Simon Thomas a Welsh rugby journalist has mentioned the Sunday slot being left to S4C as opposed to it being their choice.

Ah right, I thought S4C did a weekend round up on a Sunday that they liked to do right after a game.

It would also appear that there is no Italian tv deal in place again.

In week 3 Zebre v Lanelli has TBA/S4C down under the TV broadcaster and in week 6 Treviso v Leinster has Sky down as the broadcaster so hopefully there's something in the pipeline. I can't see S4C or Sky setting up themselves over there for those two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

phog wrote: »
    I haven't read too much of this season's fixtures but the Welsh in general are very annoyed at all the Sunday evening games they get.

TBH, while TV is great for those who can't or won't go games some of the scheduling is murdering attendances.

Something will have to give.

Seeing as most of the Welsh fans could travel together to matches in a Fiat 500, maybe the league is just being realistic and scheduling games to suit clubs that actually have fans showing up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Seeing as most of the Welsh fans could travel together to matches in a Fiat 500, maybe the league is just being realistic and scheduling games to suit clubs that actually have fans showing up

100% agree!

If the Welsh actually turn up for matches it would actually help matters.

Games at Parc Y Scarlets, Arms Park and Rodney Parade often have 5,000 odd or slightly less. Given Ulster & Leinster often attract 15,000 - 18,000 it makes sense to suit them a little more. Hopefully Munster can pull their numbers up this year but would probably be better than the Ospreys.

• Advertisement

There's a few issues with attendances in Wales but pushing Sunday games on them isn't helping anyone, especially the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Could be a real lean year for attendences in this years pro12 & could possibly lead to a much needed revamp.

Wang King wrote: »
    Could be a real lean year for attendences in this years pro12 & could possibly lead to a much needed revamp.

What would you suggest for a revamp?

Welsh attendances will improve when the teams do. People will turn up at whatever time for a winning team, not so much for mediocrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What would you suggest for a revamp?

Welsh attendances will improve when the teams do. People will turn up at whatever time for a winning team, not so much for mediocrity.

Not putting the Munster game at a time when the Union knows it will be devalued would be wonderful.

So frustrating to see the Munster/Connacht games being played over christmas/new year again. Such a massive waste.

Not putting the Munster game at a time when the Union knows it will be devalued would be wonderful.

So frustrating to see the Munster/Connacht games being played over christmas/new year again. Such a massive waste.

That's a tweak rather than a revamp, but derby matches over Christmas are absolutely inevitable and will remain in whatever structure you come up with. That players are rested is an IRFU decision, not a function of the league structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

While you have the Italian teams draining money from the league, and absolutely no TV support for the league, rubbish TV scheduling, and no attempt at growing the market, then this year is going to be pretty poor money wise for the pro12.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

100% agree!

Games at Parc Y Scarlets, Arms Park and Rodney Parade often have 5,000 odd or slightly less. Given Ulster & Leinster often attract 15,000 - 18,000 it makes sense to suit them a little more. Hopefully Munster can pull their numbers up this year but would probably be better than the Ospreys.

6pm KO's on a Friday won't do much to help that

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That's a tweak rather than a revamp, but derby matches over Christmas are absolutely inevitable and will remain in whatever structure you come up with. That players are rested is an IRFU decision, not a function of the league structure.

Derby matches over christmas are not absolutely inevitable at all.

The fact players are rested is doubtlessly an IRFU decision, but so is the scheduling. The IRFU and the league are not the same body but they're tied at the hip both in terms of the personnel involved as well as their interests.

100% agree!

Munster actually increased their tickets sales for the league last season. They complained about Friday evening kick offs and were rewarded with two out of five 6pm kick offs on Friday evenings this season.

The league has to help clubs grow the game.

Kick off times play as much part if not more in attendances as does the quality of the game/teams.

• Advertisement

Derby matches over christmas are not absolutely inevitable at all.

Realistically they are, otherwise you're asking players to travel abroad at Christmas. I don't like that our derbies are devalued either but it's just the way it is.

Also, so long as attendances remain high, as they are across the board, then there's no real imperative to change.

Advertisement