Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 2015/2016 Season thread

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Glasgow announced Nakarawe leaving for france. They must be getting a fee as he is under contract

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Adbrowne wrote: »
    Glasgow announced Nakarawe leaving for france. They must be getting a fee as he is under contract

Was announced in the media last month, just official confirmation.

He's got a year left to run but Racing will pay that without batting an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I am super excited for this weekend's rugby. Pro 12 Hype.

Munster play their biggest game of the season to try to ensure they get their Champions Cup rugby next season.
    Ulster v Leinster
    Judgement Day in Cardiff, live from the "Please Don't Call It The" Principality Stadium (Cardiff/Ospreys clashes with Leinster/Ulster, bit of a bummer).

There'll be some really tough encounters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Buer wrote: »
    Adbrowne wrote: »

Was announced in the media last month, just official confirmation.

He's got a year left to run but Racing will pay that without batting an eyelid.
    If I remember correctly at the time they said Racing were buying out his conract for 100k.

Peanuts really for a player of that calibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I am super excited for this weekend's rugby. Pro 12 Hype.

Munster play their biggest game of the season to try to ensure they get their Champions Cup rugby next season.
    Ulster v Leinster
    Judgement Day in Cardiff, live from the "Please Don't Call It The" Principality Stadium (Cardiff/Ospreys clashes with Leinster/Ulster, bit of a bummer).

There'll be some really tough encounters.

No easy games in the Pro12.

• Advertisement

No easy games in the Pro12.

I'd definitely be taking Leinster at 9/4

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

And I will miss it all. Bloody weddings. :mad:

awec wrote: »
    And I will miss it all. Bloody weddings. :mad:

Are you getting married?!

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Are you getting married?!

I am but it's not mine this weekend. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Quite a clearout at Glasgow, 16 players.

Confirmed departures and appearances:
    Jerry Yanuyanutawa (46), Tyrone Holmes (34), Kevin Bryce (12), Will Bordill* (7), Shalva Mamukashvili (6), Fergus Scott (3), Gregor Hunter* (2), Jason Hill* (0) and Javan Sebastian* (0).

Previously confirmed departures:
    Duncan Weir (106), Leone Nakarawa (66), Mike Cusack (48), Taqele Naiyaravoro (20) and Glenn Bryce (15).

Players who have retired:
    James Eddie (126) and Mike Blair (12).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Im not sure how this is going to work for TV this weekend, the Pro12 site and Tg4 are saying they will be showing both the Connacht and the Munster games live at the same time.

http://www.pro12rugby.com/matchcentre/fixtures_list.php#RZfiXrbWqBMhS2xv.97

http://www.tg4.ie/en/schedule/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Winters wrote: »
    Im not sure how this is going to work for TV this weekend, the Pro12 site and Tg4 are saying they will be showing both the Connacht and the Munster games live at the same time.

http://www.pro12rugby.com/matchcentre/fixtures_list.php#RZfiXrbWqBMhS2xv.97

http://www.tg4.ie/en/schedule/

1st half of the Connacht game is on TG4 then 2d half on TG4.ie, Saorview red button and UPC channel 602.

All of the Munster game is on TG4

*EDIT To clarify even though the games are listed as the same time that is local time so given that the Connacht game is in Italy it's kicking off at half 6 which means that they are able to show the 1st half before the Munster game starts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Thanks for that.

So 3 hours of rugby on Friday night, sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Bazzo wrote: »
    If I remember correctly at the time they said Racing were buying out his conract for 100k.

I remeber it being said that to buy out a players contract you were only obliged to pay them their unearned salary. As such. So one year left makes the transfer fee one years salary.

errlloyd wrote: »

I remeber it being said that to buy out a players contract you were only obliged to pay them their unearned salary. As such. So one year left makes the transfer fee one years salary.

Presumably that only applies if the club he is contracted to is willing to release him for that amount though.

Presumably that only applies if the club he is contracted to is willing to release him for that amount though.

No it appears to be written into most rugby players contracts that they can buy themselves out for that much. Which is what happens. Racing give Nakrawa 100g to give Glasgow.

No it appears to be written into most rugby players contracts that they can buy themselves out for that much. Which is what happens. Racing give Nakrawa 100g to give Glasgow.
    Is that definitely the case? I'm very surprised we don't see more of the rich clubs buying out young up and coming players who wouldn't be on a huge amount if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Is that definitely the case? I'm very surprised we don't see more of the rich clubs buying out young up and coming players who wouldn't be on a huge amount if it is.

Because most contracts are only two year ones it probably makes it less attractive to do so, when you can simply wait a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I would be a bit sceptical of it too. Didn't the Welsh block Toby Faletau from moving at the start of this season?

ClanofLams wrote: »
    I would be a bit sceptical of it too. Didn't the Welsh block Toby Faletau from moving at the start of this season?

Yeah. The Dragons were very unhappy because they wanted to cash in while he was still under contract and Bath were offering a transfer fee.

As it is now, he'll leave on a "Bosman" and they get nothing.

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote: »

Yeah they blocked him moving to Bath at the start of the season because he was still under contract. I suppose there's no proof that Bath were offering the full buyout price but I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that kind of clause is common in player contracts either, I'm not convinced.

I remember thinking it was weird at the time. I imagine Faletau's buyout is much higher by virtue of higher salary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I remember thinking it was weird at the time. I imagine Faletau's buyout is much higher by virtue of higher salary

But if that clause exists then surely they knew it would be enforced and they would either pay up or wait? Either way there would be no controversy.

Buy out clauses are not standard. That's why Faletau had to wait, why Kane Douglas needed Leinster to "release" him. The first club has to agree to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Will there ever be a day when rugby has a transfer market like soccer I wonder? When players are bought and sold regularly when they have time to run on their contracts?

As it is now 99% of transfers are just players out of contract signing for someone else which is relatively rare in soccer as teams will tend to cash in on a player appraoching the end of their deal

I earnestly hope not.

Sad news that Harry Robinson has had to retire due to a neck injury at the age of 23.

Was previously one of those guys that Gatland gave a cap to at a ridiculously young age, always had huge potential, a shame we won't see it filled

Nominations for try of the season are out. 5 tries from the provinces nominated: McCloskey, Gilroy, Aki, Healy, D. Kearney

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Had to pick Bundee love the try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Aki for me

Advertisement