Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 2015/2016 Season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,193 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote: »
    Think it's unlikely that Leinster leave Ravenhill empty handed.

Reckon Ulster will sneak it. They've got a couple of big players back from injury at the right time, allowing them a little match fitness. They've got a confidence boosting result last week also.

Leinster are doing well enough but look sloppy in defence when the ball is moved quickly and their shape is forced to adjust. Ulster have guys who can change the point of attack quickly and are going to ask questions.

I'll take a LBP at this moment which (along with a BP win against Treviso) will ensure the home semi.

Spot the cute hoors

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ashley Beck has re-signed with Ospreys. A good player with a horrific injury record. I had thought he was moving on

Criminally underrated

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah I'm a massive fan. A proper centre. Ospreys have actually been blessed with good centres.

It's a pity injuries have held him back, and he's not big enough to play Warrenball.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah I'm a massive. A proper centre. Ospreys have actually been blessed with good centres.

It's a pity injuries have held him back, and he's not big enough to play Warrenball.

I thought you were a little skinny winger? ;)

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    Criminally underrated

Is he? Has a handful of caps, has been injured for most of the last 2 years and Wales have had 2 or 3 of the best centres in Europe available ahead of him in the shape of Scott Williams, Jamie Roberts and Jonathan Davies.

I would say that the majority of people that follow the Pro12 rate the guy very highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Zzippy wrote: »
    I thought you were a little skinny winger? ;)

Why, thanks for noticing!

.ak wrote: »
    he's not big enough to play Warrenball.

He's deceptively big. Reminds me of Will Greenwood or Jauzion. People see the slippery, elusive lines but he's certainly big enough to suit Gatland.

Ospreys website has him down as 6'3" and 103kg which is bigger than Scott Williams and fractionally lighter than Davies.

He's too deft for Warrenball. Not too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Beck is suited for Gatland/Howley. But he needs to be fit if he's going to crack that side which is extremely unlikely.

He's not as good as Roberts and he can only play 12 but if he gets past his injury issues and gets regular gametime he'll improve and would be a very strong candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Buer wrote: »
    Reckon Ulster will sneak it. They've got a couple of big players back from injury at the right time, allowing them a little match fitness. They've got a confidence boosting result last week also.

Leinster are doing well enough but look sloppy in defence when the ball is moved quickly and their shape is forced to adjust. Ulster have guys who can change the point of attack quickly and are going to ask questions.

I'll take a LBP at this moment which (along with a BP win against Treviso) will ensure the home semi.

Ulster's forwards will be eaten alive by Leinster's. The injuries to Herbst, Tuohy, O'Connor, Williams just makes an already weakish pack cannon fodder. Henderson, Henry and Black have been shadows of themselves so far this season. I can't see how Ulster will win enough fast ball to do anything of note. I doubt they will even get a losing bonus point. A full side with no injuries and playing to form would be o.k. What we see week in and out is a parody of what they should be. Munster fans are up in arms about Foley. Ulster fans have been endlessly decrying the nepotism and jobs for the boys that has sunk Ulster year on year since 2006.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

So we're all agreed, both sides will lose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

CatFromHue wrote: »
    So we're all agreed, both sides will lose.

Yep, and if you could both do it without LBPs, that would be great.

Regards

Connacht, Scarlets, Munster, Edinburgh

4 tries each in a lovely draw.

6 match points shared.

Grand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

What's the odds on Lacey being the ref? I suppose I should have used a spoiler on that in case Awec reads it. I'm just preparing myself in advance. Of course it could be one of the other Irish ref's. They are all pretty woeful.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

jacothelad wrote: »
    What's the odds on Lacey being the ref? I suppose I should have used a spoiler on that in case Awec reads it. I'm just preparing myself in advance. Of course it could be one of the other Irish ref's. They are all pretty woeful.

Lacey is cloning himself so he can be both TJs and the TMO too.

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

For the Ulster match?

Lacey always gets landed with Leinster Ulster. :angry:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭phog

From Twitter

chris jones ‏@chrisjones51 10m ago

Glasgow Warriors scrum-half Mike Blair,35, has retired from playing with immediate effect and will take up a new coaching role at the club

Update on his retirement
    RugbyInsideLine ‏@RugbyInsideLine 10m10 minutes ago
    Mike Blair announced his immediate retirement this morning. Another casualty from concussion...

I'll always remeber how good he was when Scotland beat France in 06

Pat Howard has signed for NGD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

phog wrote: »
    Pat Howard has signed for NGD

He's not even on Northampton's squad page anymore. Strange. I don't think he ever made an appearance for them?

He's not even on Northampton's squad page anymore. Strange. I don't think he ever made an appearance for them?

No idea about what happened him at Saints but he's a damn fine player. I'd take him back at Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

phog wrote: »
    No idea about what happened him at Saints but he's a damn fine player. I'd take him back at Munster.

On a Saints forum they are asking the same question, looks like he only ever played for their A team. I'd take him back at Munster over Saili right now. He's a good signing for NGD's level.

65,000 tickets sold now for Judgement Day in the milennium stadium. A real chance at a sellout.

Hopefully a great sign that Welsh rugby is turning a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

65,000 tickets sold now for Judgement Day in the milennium stadium. A real chance at a sellout.

Good news.

Obviously Jonathan Davies is coming back next season which is great news. Any other decent signings for the regions?

Any high profile losses?

One of the best things that could happen to the regions (well the Ospreys anyway) is that Swansea City get relegated from the EPL!

Surely their worst domestic season ever?

Surely their worst domestic season ever?

They could end up with two teams in the Champions Cup, that would be a pretty decent outcome, and Scarlets could even be in contention for the Pro 12.

A poor season but it does seem there's a lot of positivity growing.

They could end up with two teams in the Champions Cup, that would be a pretty decent outcome, and Scarlets could even be in contention for the Pro 12.

A poor season but it does seem there's a lot of positivity growing.

Do you think the Welsh would benefit most from a Cardiff revival. Capital based club with strong potential marketing and a good stadium location. They have great players. They just need to get it together again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

bilston wrote: »

Good news.

Obviously Jonathan Davies is coming back next season which is great news. Any other decent signings for the regions?

Any high profile losses?

One of the best things that could happen to the regions (well the Ospreys anyway) is that Swansea City get relegated from the EPL!

Faletau going to Bath off the top of my head.

• Advertisement

Do you think the Welsh would benefit most from a Cardiff revival. Capital based club with strong potential marketing and a good stadium location. They have great players. They just need to get it together again.

I don't think it really matters which of Llanelli/Cardiff/Ospreys do it.

What they could really do with is two of them and a bit of a rivalry growing locally.

Advertisement