Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 2015/2016 Season thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I think if the Italian sides weren't guaranteed a spot, the Pro12 would have only got 6 automatic qualification spots, same as the other leagues, plus one for playoff winners and one for Challenge Cup winners/league.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

How would that have worked? 6 from each of the 3 leagues would have been 18 plus 1 from Challenge cup would be 19 but we would need 4 teams for a 2 leg playoff so one league would get 2 teams in the play off. And there is no way in hell they'd figure out a way to agree of deciding which league would get 2 teams

Fwiw I would be in favour of a system where the winner of the challenge cup is guaranteed qualification to the champions cup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Im open to correction but from what I remember from before the Challenge Cup winner got a place and there was a playoff. It was Pro12 8th vs AP 7th winner plays T14 7th.

That's correct, I was talking about in a scenario where we don't guarantee a place for the Italians, or any other nation, and there are only 6 places for the pro12

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

razorblunt wrote: »
    Edinburgh will move out of Murrayfield for the second half of next season.
    Moving to the Watsonians ground which is a 5 minute drive / 20 minute walk away. Bit of a nightmare to get too though but it should improve the atmosphere. The ground only has one stand but there's talk of temporary stands coming in on the other sides.

Back to where the Reivers used to play.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/rugby/168806/edinburgh-set-to-move-as-season-ends-in-another-disappointment/

Just looked at it on Google maps. Absolutely zero car parking available from what I can see and a small one with 30 spaces in a cricket club next door. Would need a fair bit of work done by xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Adbrowne wrote: »
    razorblunt wrote: »
    Edinburgh will move out of Murrayfield for the second half of next season.
    Moving to the Watsonians ground which is a 5 minute drive / 20 minute walk away. Bit of a nightmare to get too though but it should improve the atmosphere. The ground only has one stand but there's talk of temporary stands coming in on the other sides.

Back to where the Reivers used to play.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/rugby/168806/edinburgh-set-to-move-as-season-ends-in-another-disappointment/

Just looked at it on Google maps. Absolutely zero car parking available from what I can see and a small one with 30 spaces in a cricket club next door. Would need a fair bit of work done by xmas.
    I think they have money set aside for a redevelopment and I've seen building a car park mentioned.

They needed to get out of Murrayfield, the place looked miserable at less than 10% capacity during some matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Hard to see where they'd put the car park, the school has about 4 pitches, hockey fields and all that but they'd be losing one of the pitches (unless the school don't need the pitch). No way would I take the car anyway (I'm walking distance) but the roads aren't there weren't built for any sort of volume.
    Locals seem to think folk will walk down from Bruntsfield for the game.

Agreed, on Murrayfield, I've been to about half a dozen games this season and the atmosphere is non existent. I honestly can't deal with the boos anymore, as soon as a decision goes against them , the fans are off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

b.gud wrote: »
    That's correct, I was talking about in a scenario where we don't guarantee a place for the Italians, or any other nation, and there are only 6 places for the pro12

6 places for each league, 1 place for winner of playoff as DGRulz described plus one place for the winner of the Challenge Cup or a team from their league if already qualified.

Zzippy wrote: »
    6 places for each league, 1 place for winner of playoff as DGRulz described plus one place for the winner of the Challenge Cup or a team from their league if already qualified.

Ah yeah I misread DGRulz post. I thought it was a fair 4 way play off I'd forgotten that the Top14 were just given a by into the final of the play off

• Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭bilston

molloyjh wrote: »
    TheAlbert wrote: »
    There were 66 Losing Bonus Points this season, compared to 37 last season. Looks like the European qualification rules have lead to a more competitive league

It's very hard to use this season as a guideline for anything given the disruption from the RWC. The meritocracy has been very positive but this has been a poor season for the league as a whole as well. It'll be interesting to see how next season goes.

The last few weeks of the league have been great but it was the same last year. Come the post 6Ns period all the teams ha e their strongest sides available and it shows.

Come September we'll be back to weakened teams and a poorer standard.

The league needs to examine how it can guarentee having the top players available on a more regular basis.

I think the answer may be that less is more. Reduce the number of games but guarentee that the top players will be available more often than not.

One answer is to get rid of the Italians but I wouldn't like to see that, although I would remove the guarentee of one Italian team being in the Champions Cup (same would apply to Ireland, Scotland and Wales).

I don't know how but I would consider increasing to 16 teams and having two leagues of 8 playing home and away with promotion and relegation. That means 14 regular season games plus play offs. The question is where do you get 4 extra teams from and how do you fill in the free weekends when the provinces will undoubtedly want to continue to get fans through the gates.

As for the extra four teams I suppose a third Scottish team is possible, maybe a Romanian side and I suppose a Spanish Georgia teams. Alternatively London Scottish and London Welsh join, but there would be a lot of issues to iron out there.

As for filling in the spare weekends I suppose the Irish and Scots could get in on the LV Cup along the English and Welsh. Alternatively in Ireland we could have a proper Inter Pro Championship, or finally we could have a Celtic knockout Cup.

Anyway the main point is that the last few weeks have shown that the Pro 12 does have potential and can work (I'm still a fully signed up member of the British and Irish League fan club though), we just need to figure how to make the whole season like the last few weeks and as I said less is more may be the best answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Personally I like the way the league has a few games a year where we get to see some new talent. But I know I'm the minority and for sponsor and TV rights we need better quality.

Does anyone know if sky are happy with TV atm. (I am, we get a lot more televised games than the AP).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

bilston wrote: »
    The last few weeks of the league have been great but it was the same last year. Come the post 6Ns period all the teams ha e their strongest sides available and it shows.

Come September we'll be back to weakened teams and a poorer standard.

The league needs to examine how it can guarentee having the top players available on a more regular basis.

I think the answer may be that less is more. Reduce the number of games but guarentee that the top players will be available more often than not.

One answer is to get rid of the Italians but I wouldn't like to see that, although I would remove the guarentee of one Italian team being in the Champions Cup (same would apply to Ireland, Scotland and Wales).

I don't know how but I would consider increasing to 16 teams and having two leagues of 8 playing home and away with promotion and relegation. That means 14 regular season games plus play offs. The question is where do you get 4 extra teams from and how do you fill in the free weekends when the provinces will undoubtedly want to continue to get fans through the gates.

As for the extra four teams I suppose a third Scottish team is possible, maybe a Romanian side and I suppose a Spanish Georgia teams. Alternatively London Scottish and London Welsh join, but there would be a lot of issues to iron out there.

As for filling in the spare weekends I suppose the Irish and Scots could get in on the LV Cup along the English and Welsh. Alternatively in Ireland we could have a proper Inter Pro Championship, or finally we could have a Celtic knockout Cup.

Anyway the main point is that the last few weeks have shown that the Pro 12 does have potential and can work (I'm still a fully signed up member of the British and Irish League fan club though), we just need to figure how to make the whole season like the last few weeks and as I said less is more may be the best answer.

Did you see the interview with the Pro12 managing director recently in Wales Online? Pretty much says most of what you've said above:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/shock-plans-expand-guinness-pro12-11126193

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

IMO the Italian sides would both wake up if a guaranteed spot is taken from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

IMO the Italian sides would both wake up if a guaranteed spot is taken from them.

I don't think it's a lack of effort, it's a lack of ability. Treviso had, in fairness to them, started moving up the table until they were gutted of their best players a few seasons back.

Zebre are only 4 years old as a side and they've gotten a bit more competitive recently. The TBP win at the weekend was their 5th win and 3rd TBP of the season. They can't be expected to compete at the top level in just 4 years, but that they've been able to compete for, and win, a place in the Champions Cup should be seen as a positive move. We need to give them time and not punish them financially for not being as established as we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'm not too fussed about giving the Italian sides a place in the Champions Cup. It adds some interest at the bottom of the table in lieu of a relegation battle.

The truth is that we can't fix Italian club rugby, and we shouldn't kid ourselves into thinking that we can. Their problems are out of our control for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Adbrowne wrote: »

That's right. I know that area fairly well and the Edinburgh parking Nazis are everywhere. They are complete barstewards. Mind you, the traffic in Embra is brutal. My daughter lives in the 'New town', i.e. the Georgian bit and they cover that area in swarms. Onstreet parking is a nightmare in some places and at some times. I stay some times in the Thistle Hotel at the bottom of Leith Street in the St James complex. It costs almost as much to park the car in the multi story as it does to stay in the hotel but there is no choice.

There must be 4 parking attendants to every parking spot in Edinburgh.

You will not get away with any bould parking there. Definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

If I was an Edinburgh fan I would be delighted to finally have a bit of atmosphere at home games and I'd take the bloody bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,783 ✭✭✭✭phog

Average attendances for Pool Games

CiC8Z_2WUAE1lAr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I noticed last night (Mon.) that RTE2's excellent rugby programme 'Against the Head' is not available via the NIMM ie. RTE2 on Freeview here in NI. I can't really understand this as it is 'in the clear' via Sky here in NI. It surely can't be a rights issue as matches shown were Pro 12 games covered by among others TG4 (available on NIMM) and BBCNI. The only other action was from the AIL Ulster Bank League final which was shown live on RTE2 on Sunday and was 'in the clear' on NIMM. Anyone any idea why this programme would be geo-blocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,757 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I noticed last night (Mon.) that RTE2's excellent rugby programme 'Against the Head' is not available via the NIMM ie. RTE2 on Freeview here in NI. I can't really understand this as it is 'in the clear' via Sky here in NI. It surely can't be a rights issue as matches shown were Pro 12 games covered by among others TG4 (available on NIMM) and BBCNI. The only other action was from the AIL Ulster Bank League final which was shown live on RTE2 on Sunday and was 'in the clear' on NIMM. Anyone any idea why this programme would be geo-blocked?

I haven't the faintest idea what NIMM is but it was available on Sky up here last night and I had to laugh at Daire O'Brien saying that Ulster had to win a trophy this season because the side was about to break up! That's news to me Daire!

bilston wrote: »
    I haven't the faintest idea what NIMM is but it was available on Sky up here last night and I had to laugh at Daire O'Brien saying that Ulster had to win a trophy this season because the side was about to break up! That's news to me Daire!

NIMM as I hinted in my last post is RTE1/2 and TG4 on Freeview in NI - these channels are broadcast from transmitters within NI but much of the sporting content on RTE2 is blanked out. This is understandable if another station hold the UK rights e.g. Champions League soccer but somewhat baffling when 'Against the Head' shows matches already covered by TG4 which has none of its sporting content blanked out via Freeview in NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Sky showed one of the games

Synode wrote: »
    Sky showed one of the games

Yes (Ospreys vs Ulster) but it was also shown on BBCNI so Sky did not have exclusive UK rights.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Highlanders' Marty Banks signs for Treviso
    http://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/_/447455

Trevino have signed a very good out half for next season. Sorry to see Marty go

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Highlanders' Marty Banks signs for Treviso
    http://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/_/447455

Trevino have signed a very good out half for next season. Sorry to see Marty go

That's as big a signing Treviso could realistically hope for. Fair play. I would think someone like him could have gotten more money in a better team though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

I've only really seen Banks play in last season's Super Rugby final, but it sounds as if he might have been a good signing for one of the provinces

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There must be 4 parking attendants to every parking spot in Edinburgh.

You will not get away with any bould parking there. Definitely.
    jacothelad wrote: »
    That's right. I know that area fairly well and the Edinburgh parking Nazis are everywhere. They are complete barstewards. Mind you, the traffic in Embra is brutal. My daughter lives in the 'New town', i.e. the Georgian bit and they cover that area in swarms. Onstreet parking is a nightmare in some places and at some times. I stay some times in the Thistle Hotel at the bottom of Leith Street in the St James complex. It costs almost as much to park the car in the multi story as it does to stay in the hotel but there is no choice.

On a sidenote, New Town is completely covered by them alright, you'd barely get time to break a tenner into coins for the machine from the nearest shop.

The clever solution for the new stadium and one, that therefore you can be safe to say won't happen, would be to use the car park at the Craiglockart Napier Uni campus and stick on a few more buses on the 27 route on matchdays saying Part Route.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I've only really seen Banks play in last season's Super Rugby final, but it sounds as if he might have been a good signing for one of the provinces

hes been no 2 for long enough (no 3 when hayden parker came back from injury), he wants to go to a team where hes no 1.

i can see him giving treviso a couple of seasons and then been picked up by a mid table premiership team, if he continues on his current trajectory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/italians-want-third-team-pro12-11329304

Not sure how I'd feel about having a third set of Italian whipping boys join the league.

Advertisement