Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 2015/2016 Season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I think not televising matches purposefully to try to drive up attendances is alienating a large portion of your potential fanbase who actually can't physically get to the game.

I can't get to the majority of Connacht games but I go when I'm home and I buy plenty of merchandise. If they were trying to drive their attendences up by not airing matches I'd be pretty pissed off and a lot less likely to part with my cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Also there's a reason that NFL has the blackout rule in the US and the English FA don't allow any televised games at 3pm on Saturdays. Live matches on TV takes from attendances.

They ban the televising of those games to drive up attendances at lower division matches. The equivalent of not televising Leinster matches that clash with AIL fixtures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

zebre 14-7 glasgow after 35

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

neelia11 wrote: »

That will never last.

Someone posted viewing figures for the last weekend of March on uafc earlier.

5 matches on pay tv that weekend. 4 premiership games on BT and 1 Pro 12 game on Sky and the Pro 12 game came 3rd in terms of viewing figures. Given BT pay a hell of a lot more for the Premiership than Sky do for the Pro 12 that is quite interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Bonus point in the bag for Glasgow now.

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Bonus point in the bag for Glasgow now.

I live in hope but I assume you don't mean LBP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

bilston wrote: »
    I live in hope but I assume you don't mean LBP!

Unfortunately not. 38 - 14 after 75 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

3 mins to go

Zebra 14 Glasgow 43

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

BBDBB wrote: »
    3 mins to go

Zebra 14 Glasgow 43

That's the TBP we all expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Pos Team Current R20 R21 R22 Total
    Scarlets (a) Zebre (h) Connacht (a)
    1 Glasgow 61 4 5 4 74
    Edin (h) Ulster (a) Treviso (h)
    2 Leinster 63 4 1 5 73
    Munster (h) Treviso (a) Glasgow (h)
    3 Connacht 63 4 5 1 73
    Zebre (a) Leinster (h) Ospreys (a)
    4 Ulster 55 5 4 1 65
    Glasgow (h) Dragons (a) Munster (a)
    5 Scarlets 58 1 4 1 64
    Connacht (a) Edin (h) Scarlets (h)
    6 Munster 53 1 4 4 62
    Leinster (a) Munster (a) Blues (h)
    7 Edinburgh 52 0 1 4 57
    Treviso (h) Blues (a) Ulster (h)
    8 Ospreys 44 5 4 4 57
    Dragons(h) Ospreys(h) Edinbrugh (a)
    9 Blues 48 4 1 1 54

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zebre have conceded on average 30 points a game. That's madness.

The current record for points conceded since the Italians joined is 641 points by Treviso last season. Zebre have conceded 579 points in 19 games so far this season and with Ulster (H) and Glasgow (A) left you'd expect they will break 641 conceded this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RAKM

I've spoken a lot about the Italian clubs leaving the Pro12 or at least not giving them a place in the CC. However as long as they are in the league it is probably the best of a bad lot to let them compete for a CC place. The reason is that they still have something to play for whenever they take the field. If they did not have this think of how bad their efforts might be...or could they get any worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

RAKM wrote: »
    I've spoken a lot about the Italian clubs leaving the Pro12 or at least not giving them a place in the CC. However as long as they are in the league it is probably the best of a bad lot to let them compete for a CC place. The reason is that they still have something to play for whenever they take the field. If they did not have this think of how bad their efforts might be...or could they get any worse?

Their CC place is effectively the relegation battle that other people mistakenly claim we are missing. Zebre and Treviso need points in the same way Newcastle/London Irish need points.

As you alluded to, in any competition structure it's important to keep teams incentivised until the last day. We've almost arrived at that situation now (albeit dragged kicking and screaming) thanks to European qualification. The only team in the league who aren't playing for something at this stage are probably the Dragons. Not long ago it would have been just the top couple of sides still interested. Makes for a much better league.

Scarlets didn't train today as 20 players have a stomach virus. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Has the French national squad many any comment yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭b.gud

That probably puts to bed any hope they might get one over in Glasgow

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

b.gud wrote: »
    That probably puts to bed any hope they might get one over in Glasgow

Indeed. You could even say their chances are in the toilet...

Zzippy wrote: »
    Indeed. You could even say their chances are in the toilet...

Are these the kinda jokes that we can expect now that your honeymoon is over and you've officially accepted life as a married man :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

this could get awkward for Munster if the stars align.

If there's not a Welsh team in the top 6 at the end of the season then one of the top 6 teams will miss out with the top ranked Welsh team going through in their place.

It's fairly unlikely as Munster play both Edinburgh and Lanelli before the season is out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

b.gud wrote: »
    Are these the kinda jokes that we can expect now that your honeymoon is over and you've officially accepted life as a married man :p

Yes. I can now officially turn into my old man... his jokes are horrendous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

cardiff, ospreys and embra all hot on munsters tails now. they really need a win tmrw

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

cardiff, ospreys and embra all hot on munsters tails now. they really need a win tmrw

They don't really need to win this one. If Munster get nothing in Galway and win their last two with no BP, then neither Ospreys or Edinburgh can catch them. Cardiff can, but they need to win all three games getting 2 BPs.
    If Munster get a BP tonight and two wins, then Cardiff need 3 BP wins. They play Ospreys (N) and Edinburgh (A).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

They don't really need to win this one. If Munster get nothing in Galway and win their last two with no BP, then neither Ospreys or Edinburgh can catch them. Cardiff can, but they need to win all three games getting 2 BPs.
    If Munster get a BP tonight and two wins, then Cardiff need 3 BP wins. They play Ospreys (N) and Edinburgh (A).

Connacht don't need to win this for a top two either.
    It's still in our control, BP in Treviso and win against Glasgow in Galway will do it.

Although I don't think anyone will be holding back!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Oh finn Russel

3-10 so far

TMO for a Russell try in the corner. Glasgow turned down an easy 3 points with a tap and go that lead to a Glasgow 5m lineout.

Try given, brilliant finish.

TMO for a Russell try in the corner. Glasgow turned down an easy 3 points with a tap and go that lead to a Glasgow 5m lineout.

Try given, brilliant finish.

It's looking like it'll be a 5 pointer for Glasgow

A Glasgow win pretty much seals the Top 3 and it opens the door to Ulster or Munster to sneak into the final playoff spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 barry rainey

finn russel what a player

Advertisement