Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 9 Public Beta

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

It's crazy how something as simple as an ad blocker can have hidden meanings and ulterior motives. I don't mind ad blockers but still, as mentioned above, I'd like to be able to unblock certain sites that id support and think deserve ad revenue. They do it in a tasteful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Wow ! That is some battery life.

Yeah, now I did get the same when the phone was brand new back in December and was getting same for a few months then it would last a day and a half.

This phone is a refurb from the iSight replacement program and is "new" since August.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭shanec1928

DubDJ wrote: »
    Liking crystal so far but I'd like to be able to unblock certain sites that serve the ads in a non-intrusive way. Maybe it will come in an update but I think sites that's push ads on you in a way that effects your browsing experience should have them blocked. Not remorseful at all about those, strange turn for the Peace app though. It was making headlines on most of the major tech sites.
    I mentioned it further back hold the refresh at the top of the page to load without content blocker for the few pages ya want not ideal but a work around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭guil

Yeah, now I did get the same when the phone was brand new back in December and was getting same for a few months then it would last a day and a half.

This phone is a refurb from the iSight replacement program and is "new" since August.

How did you have so little Facebook background usage? Do you sign out each time you use it? Mine always has a few hours background.

guil wrote: »
    How did you have so little Facebook background usage? Do you sign out each time you use it? Mine always has a few hours background.

I do swipe up and close apps as I'm not using them which I believe helps greatly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Due to various circumstances I haven't been able to go 24 hours on one charge on 9.0 yet. The phone will do it, but I've had to charge to make I had enough juice for some events.

However, one thing I noticed was that it went from 24% to 12% over night. Data, wifi, Bluetooth and location all off, just the normal radio for calls and texts left on.

That's highly unusual, and no obvious culprits in the battery stats. Normally overnight I'd see a 2-5% drop on standby, max.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I can't for the life of me figure out how Facebook has been using 15 hours in the background on my phone over the last week.

Background app refresh has never been on, no push notifications, no location services on for any app. I close my apps regularly and it shouldn't make a difference doing that anyway as the app wouldn't have the permissions to run in the background. I have also deleted and reinstalled the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Are there any disadvantages in leaving the phone on low power mode all the time? The phone automatically switches it off when fully charged but I've been switching it back in again and don't see an issue. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭deep1

FourFourFM wrote: »
    I can't for the life of me figure out how Facebook has been using 15 hours in the background on my phone over the last week.

Background app refresh has never been on, no push notifications, no location services on for any app. I close my apps regularly and it shouldn't make a difference doing that anyway as the app wouldn't have the permissions to run in the background. I have also deleted and reinstalled the app.

Go to facebook app -> account setting and turn off upload contacts, this thing keep checking on background, i close Fb as soon as i am done with it, as fb pass its app as voip which can run in background for longer period even if you have background refresh disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

AirPlay will only send audio to Apple TV if you have it jail broken, since the ios9 update.

Had to do a full restore and update the software on it to get it to work.

Not a big deal for me as I don't real use any of the jailbreak features anymore but can imagine it's a right pain for those who do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I just checked my battery monitor, and Runkeeper is what's been killing my battery, used 67% of my battery over the last two days.

DELETED....poxy app sending me messages every few hours telling me how fat i am and i need to go for a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭dodzy

Not a fan of the keyboard switching to lowercase. Maybe its just me, but I prefer all caps. Turned off the feature. Happy now.

For anyone in the same boat: Settings/General/Accessibility/Keyboards/Show lowercase keys OFF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Facebook has been on for 20 hours in the background over three days. Background refresh is off, location is off, contacts as mentioned. Best bet just to use safari?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

FourFourFM wrote: »

I had huge issues with Facebook on my 5s when I was in the states I went to the mall with my girlfriend for the day left the house at 62% battery didn't use the phone at all just to check the time every now and then, I didn't even have data on the phone as the plan I had expired. So I had cellular data off. Two hours later I take the phone out to check it it was fully dead. Turns out Facebook background process was eating the battery.

I removed the app until they updated it and it was fine from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Also I got a iPhone 6 when I got home 2 weeks ago and no issues with Facebook so far. It constantly crashed on my 5s using 9.0 beta it didn't do this on my 6. I'm running iOS 9.1 beta now. I tried the final version of iOS 9 and it was a bit slower than the beta even.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone recommend an in app ad blocker ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Once Safari View Controller is adopted by third party apps, ads will be blocked in apps using the same rules as Safari. It'll also be possible to auto fill passwords and other things that currently aren't possible using in-app browsers. However, if you mean iAds etc used by free apps, then no there's no way to block them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

jay93 wrote: »
    I had huge issues with Facebook on my 5s when I was in the states I went to the mall with my girlfriend for the day left the house at 62% battery didn't use the phone at all just to check the time every now and then, I didn't even have data on the phone as the plan I had expired. So I had cellular data off. Two hours later I take the phone out to check it it was fully dead. Turns out Facebook background process was eating the battery.

I removed the app until they updated it and it was fine from then on.

Was that recently? I think there is an issue between the current update of the app and iOS 8.4.1 & 9.0 and onwards. Seen it happen on another phone too where it had used 88% of the battery in 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

What the deal with crystal? Doesn't seem to be working?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

mad muffin wrote: »
    What the deal with crystal? Doesn't seem to be working?

You need to enable it in Safari settings > content blocker. You might have to kill Safari from the multitasking screen or restart as well.

You need to enable it in Safari settings > content blocker. You might have to kill Safari from the multitasking screen or restart as well.

Restarted my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6.

On the iPad it doesn't work at all. On themiphone the reload without content blocker doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

On the iPad it doesn't work at all. On themiphone the reload without content blocker doesn't work.

I mentioned that earlier too, it only seemed to block a few bits. Blockr is my personal favourite gets everything, Another is 1Blockr, both paid but well worth it. I think white listing will be added soon too for those of you who want it.

Going for a new record - 50 hours on standby. iPhone 6 Plus. iOS 9. Low power mode never on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Since I updated to ios9 i have had the phone say I have full coverage and not been able to receive any calls and txts. Turned on and off the phone and it sorted it but will update if it happens again. Finding the phone at times can be a little bit more unresponsive i.e. it took about 6 presses of the hang up button before it hung up the call. Also safari and Facebook have stalled, but not crashed, a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Going for a new record - 50 hours on standby. iPhone 6 Plus. iOS 9. Low power mode never on.

How do you get it to display hours on screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

embraer170 wrote: »
    How do you get it to display hours on screen?

Press the little clock symbol in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

You need to open the app and let it update for a few seconds. At the bottom of the screen you'll see "block list version:0". Wait for that to update from 0 and it'll work.

You need to open the app and let it update for a few seconds. At the bottom of the screen you'll see "block list version:0". Wait for that to update from 0 and it'll work.

Ah yes. Thanks. Although the reload with out content blocker doesn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Challenge Accepted

Advertisement