Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 9 Public Beta

Options
  • 09-07-2015 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭

The official Public Beta was released earlier today, anybody installed and tested it? Currently trying to download the profile to my iPhone and iPad but keeps throwing up an error message.

http://beta.apple.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Installed it tonight. Had tried the original beta 1 for a day before.

Looks to be missing the "News" app that is on Developer Beta 3.

I'm not sure if I'll stay on this. Buggy in places (obviously) but seems like it could be ok for day to day use.

I love the new font and keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Finally got the profile on both devices, not sure whether to install now. Reckon it would pass for day to day use?

The News app is restricted to a few countries, i'll wait until it's properly out though as I don't like messing with regions settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

Downloaded it and installed on my main device. So far the only app that I have that doesn't work is Plex. Other than that everything is stable. Haven't noticed a significant change in battery life but ill give it a go from tomorrow. Not used the news app either as i don't like changing region settings.

Installed it too. It's a little slow and jumpy but no major problems so far. Multitasking on the iPad Air 2 is amazing. Really like the new keyboard too. Much easier to tell when it's in caps or not. I hope battery life will be ok as its on my main devices too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I'm impressed at how stable it is. I've reported a few bugs but nothing major. I'd say you could 95% use it on your main day to day phone without many issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I was going to give it a go but installing a beta OS 12 hours before you go away for two weeks is a really bad idea...

I've not really had any major bugs to be able to report. I've had the odd app crash but so far it's just a bit slow and jittery, I haven't actually noticed something that I could report.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Has the website gone down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

afatbollix wrote: »
    Has the website gone down?

I'm just seeing.. "We're sorry, but something went wrong."

The beta site even has bugs ☺

• Advertisement

Probably overloaded with people trying to get the beta.

Kind of weird but this gets seems better on battery life than 8.4 was. I noticed a small drop in battery with when I first installed it last week, nothing too major but it was definitely depleting much quicker than usual.

Plugged the iPhone out last night at 2am and it's now sitting at 90% with limited use. Still better than what I had with 8.4 though.

I've no regrets about trying the public beta so far, works fine for day-to-day usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Potus

I must say i do like it. Seems stable for most of my regular daily apps. I tried out the newapp but think i'll wait until its available for europe instead of changing region settings. Also one other thing i noticed, the battery widget doesn't seem to appear. Was looking forward to this. Overall i like it, especially the new looking keyboard, while not that noticeable, it just looks different.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just installed it, iPad Air 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Only bug I've had so far is Wallet seems to make my screen go on full brightness. Other than that pretty stable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

In 8 I'd click on a Youtube link (not embedded) and it generally opened in the app. Now nothing happens. Have to right click to tell it to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Only bug I've had so far is Wallet seems to make my screen go on full brightness. Other than that pretty stable.
    Passbook did that too, it's to help with bad scanners for scanning tickets.

Installed it on my iP6. Felt like I was back on iOS 6 at first, shading and dept is back.

Have experienced a few UI quirks but nothing major. Scrolling seems a bit sluggish at times. The multitask switcher looks cool but needs some work on the smoothness.The only apps not working are Plex and Permanent tsb app.

Probably the best change is the keyboard showing characters in higher or lower case rather than higher case all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Passbook did that too, it's to help with bad scanners for scanning tickets.

Really? Maybe I only noticed it cos I opened the app in my bedroom with the light off!

Really? Maybe I only noticed it cos I opened the app in my bedroom with the light off!

Yeah Passbook did the same thing. Its for the scanners in shops and Airport check in etc.

Think I'm going to switch back to ios8. I've discovered the microphone works intermittently. When I tap it to speak and type text nothing happens. The the phone vibrates with no text rendered. Ios9 is a nice iOS but it's far too buggy to rely on so will switch back until it's more stable and approved in the autumn.

• Advertisement

Ok It looks like iTunes won't let me restore to ios8 from my last backup. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to have to reinstall ios8 fresh because of all the hassle of reloading all my apps.

Potus wrote: »
    Ok It looks like iTunes won't let me restore to ios8 from my last backup. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to have to reinstall ios8 fresh because of all the hassle of reloading all my apps.

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT203282

I kept that handy, just worked for me. I was having some issues with Apple Music, and had to revert this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Installed it in a I6, discovered that bluetooth doesn't work or Black Berry Messenger, its also very sluggish.

Planning to revert back to IOS8.4 tomorrow.

Zhane wrote: »
    https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT203282

I kept that handy, just worked for me. I was having some issues with Apple Music, and had to revert this morning.

Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,908 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

A few days in and I'm really liking it, I think it shows more on the iPad as there's a few new features there that are exclusive but overall it's a nice update. I think the keyboard is so much better, multitasking is excellent, working great so far. Pop out video player is also great and I'm hoping YouTube will officially support it.

I'm surprised the low power mode wasn't a more highlighted feature at the keynote. I remember at the time thinking it was a great addition and in person I'm really liking it, it also has the option of enabling it from the low power alert pop-up that appears when your iPhone hits 20% which is great.

A few app crashes, bit of sluggishness but so far no major complaints about the beta. I'll be sticking to it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭stoksyXL

I've installed the beta on my iPad air 2 and seems to be fairly stable, apart from the music player that STILL has the gapless playback bug since the iPhone 4 was released where some transitions on a gapless album will have a random pause between transitions instead of playing gapless like they supposed to, and also some transitions will jump ahead a track altogether, so instead of going from track 2 to track 3 it'll jump from track 2 straight to track 4.

I've also requested sms text message delivery reports too in iOS 9, I think the iPhone is the only phone out today that still doesn't have delivery reports for text messages, only for iMessage messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

update on my iphone 6 running public beta 9 -

Battery life brilliant - went from Friday 4pm (100%) > Sunday 10am (65%) dropping only 35%

Only really minor bug is that whe i use the drop down preview to reply to a SMS it will hang - need to sleep then wake phone to clear... nothing huge but still a bug to be sorted.

all in all - brilliant , quick and working very well..

BrookieD wrote: »
    update on my iphone 6 running public beta 9 -

Battery life brilliant - went from Friday 4pm (100%) > Sunday 10am (65%) dropping only 35%

Only really minor bug is that whe i use the drop down preview to reply to a SMS it will hang - need to sleep then wake phone to clear... nothing huge but still a bug to be sorted.

all in all - brilliant , quick and working very well..

May be stupid thing to ask, but did you report the bug to Apple?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Is proactive working for anyone? As in the screen to the left of home. Mine is just blank. The only think I got was a suggestion to use the podcast app when I go to sleep. That was in the app switcher though.

Advertisement