Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 9 Public Beta

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

On iPad, multitasking. The recently used apps part of proactive is handy for me, new keyboard is much better. Battery has definitely improved, that in itself is a great addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

On iPhone my favourite new feature is the new Spotlight search with news stories and recently used apps.im using that a lot. Additional battery info is nice too..and also being able to switch back to an app that you clicked a link in is pretty handy. Still finding this beta to be pretty buggy so I'm really hoping the GM is rock solid.

colmulhall wrote: »
    On iPhone my favourite new feature is the new Spotlight search with news stories and recently used apps.im using that a lot. Additional battery info is nice too..and also being able to switch back to an app that you clicked a link in is pretty handy. Still finding this beta to be pretty buggy so I'm really hoping the GM is rock solid.

How did I forget the back button, that's definitely one of the underrated features that I use consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

So for those using iOS 9, considering it's a week or so away from general release, what are the most useful new features? (iPhone only)

I'm scratching my head to be honest. Battery saver maybe ?

On the iPad I'm finding Notes in use more and more, split screen (when I reemeber it's there!) to read or reply to texts, and as DubDJ said, the back button is another little gem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,333 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm subscribed to the BBC's From Our Own Correspondent podcast. It won't refresh and says the last refresh was August 13th. It's a bi-weekly podcast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Tried a different podcast client, or unsubscribe and resubscribe?

Try Overcast. Its a great podcast player that's already been updated for iOS 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Yep same here. Facebook crashes too after using it for more than 5-10mins. Excessive scrolling seems to upset it an awful lot.

I imagine a lot of the apps will be tidied up with updates this week with the launch happening on the 9th.

Same issues and many more on my 5s.

• Advertisement

I've had the same thing with scrolling on Facebook myself. Safari is grand though, just opened up about 10 tabs and quickly switched between them and no problems. Some heavy sites too just to test.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I've a 5s as well. Over the weekend I did a clean install of 8.4.1 and then upgraded directly to the latest public beta. I've had no stability problems but it's still very battery hungry. I find that by mid afternoon after fairly light usage I'm down to 30-40% so I have to top it up to make it through the day. I keep pretty much everything turned on but looking at the battery stats I can't pin down exactly where the problem is. I think I'll be investing in a 6s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

I've a 5s as well. Over the weekend I did a clean install of 8.4.1 and then upgraded directly to the latest public beta. I've had no stability problems but it's still very battery hungry. I find that by mid afternoon after fairly light usage I'm down to 30-40% so I have to top it up to make it through the day. I keep pretty much everything turned on but looking at the battery stats I can't pin down exactly where the problem is. I think I'll be investing in a 6s

I had a quick draining battery on my 5s on the beta sold it 3 days ago and got myself an iPhone 6 battery seems much better on the 6 even on the beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,422 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

jay93 wrote: »
    I had a quick draining battery on my 5s on the beta sold it 3 days ago and got myself an iPhone 6 battery seems much better on the 6 even on the beta.
    Anyone get a prompt to update to the latest iOS version this morning. Got one around 6am stating a new version of iOS has been released and to update it via iTunes. Running beta 5 so wondering if the GM is not a ota which would be surprising

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭deep1

Blazer wrote: »
    Anyone get a prompt to update to the latest iOS version this morning. Got one around 6am stating a new version of iOS has been released and to update it via iTunes. Running beta 5 so wondering if the GM is not a ota which would be surprising

Yeah everyone is getting this, http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-9-gm-release-9-6-15-screenshot.1912778/

I got this morning too, it is prob bug in beta, i doubt GM would be OTA though as it is normally restore through itunes.

Yup, i got the message too. No update available in iTunes either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

cisk wrote: »
    Yup, i got the message too. No update available in iTunes either.

Can't see this becoming available until at least 8pm on Wednesday. Most likely an hour after that

Praying that the GM fixes battery drainage. The betas have pretty much halved battery usage for me so far.

colmulhall wrote: »
    Praying that the GM fixes battery drainage. The betas have pretty much halved battery usage for me so far.

It's strange because even the first beta of iOS 9 improved my battery life going from 8.4. It's the iPhone 6 too so its not an older battery problem, 8.4 just reduced battery life and immediately with iOS 9 I could see improvements.

• Advertisement

DubDJ wrote: »
    It's strange because even the first beta of iOS 9 improved my battery life going from 8.4. It's the iPhone 6 too so its not an older battery problem, 8.4 just reduced battery life and immediately with iOS 9 I could see improvements.

On a 5s myself. It's possible that my battery isn't what it used to be.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

don't forget since it's a beta there's plenty of logging and performance tweaks turned off so that it helps apple tweak what needs to be tweaked and focus their energy on the minutest of things.

don't take the battery life of a beta as being gospel.

iOS 9.1 public beta out. Have been using it the past 20 minutes or so, the phone feels much snappier, I was having a real slow down on my iP6 for the duration of the beta program.

A few new emojis added too. Can't find the full change log.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

cisk wrote: »
    iOS 9.1 public beta out. Have been using it the past 20 minutes or so, the phone feels much snappier, I was having a real slow down on my iP6 for the duration of the beta program.

A few new emojis added too. Can't find the full change log.

I don't see anything different. I was expecting the News app, so a bit disappointed it's not there.

I thought maybe the live camera feature might be added with the beta, maybe it is exclusive to the new 6s.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I thought maybe the live camera feature might be added with the beta, maybe it is exclusive to the new 6s.

Its exclusive to 6s and 6s Plus. I'm sure it could be done on a 6, as it seems like a software thing to me, but the Apple website shows it on the new phone specs only.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

GM is very smooth on my iPhone 5. If I can resist the lure of 3D touch, I reckon I might get another year out of it before upgrading. However, I suspect storage issues will force me to upgrade sooner.

yup perfect here on the iPhone 6.

even seeing 10% less battery drain.

So what will happen next week when the public version of 9 goes live? Do I have to withdraw from the beta testing program to download the finished version? I'm on the 9.1 beta, but tbh I think I'd rather go to the 9.0 final version when it comes out (main thing for me on the beta is that swiftkey doesn't always play nicely, and battery drain with my android wear watch is higher than I was expecting.....these may have no relation to the beta, but I think they might).

Do we get the option when the final version of 9.0 comes out to download that OTA, or do we have to jump through more hoops because technically we're on a later version already?

• Advertisement

you'll probably have to restore if you've gone to the 9.1 beta.

if you're on the GM you won't get any OTA unless there's been a new build between now and Wednesday but that's highly unlikely unless there's a show stopping bug

Advertisement