Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Navy Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭DOB01

kaiserdave wrote: »
    Did mine on the 28th, so four weeks today. Nothing yet, but was told we'd hear in three or four weeks. So hoping to have word before Friday.

training wont start until last week of sept so it will probably be the first or second week of sept id say,it would be nice to get it earlier and know what is happening but they wont send it out until they are ready for us.so try to keep busy

lads go on to the naval competition 2015 thread you will get a lot more information

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brian Clowen

We'll start out with a lap and the build up from there.

I doubt there will be more than two lads from Laois so you won't be hard to single out for special attention!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Chew1996

We'll start out with a lap and the build up from there.

I doubt there will be more than two lads from Laois so you won't be hard to single out for special attention!

Will that be a good or bad thing haha

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Celticlily

DOBO1 I'm from Glanmire. But I can travel up to the city if you want ;)

• Advertisement

Well Chew I love EMAs and I can't wait to share that love with you.

So as soon as I eyeball you and I are going to work out that math in a more practical sense.

REMEMBER all Education is valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Chew1996

Well Chew I love EMAs and I can't it to share that love with you.

So as soon as I eyeball you and I are going to work out that math in a more practical sense.

REMEMBER all Education is valuable.

Looking forward to it already 😅

Celticlily wrote: »
    DOBO1 I'm from Glanmire. But I can travel up to the city if you want ;)

Celticlily send me on your number in private message and i will give you a buzz ok

Just to update you kids.

General Enlistment medicals are still ongoing this week.

So i'm sorry but I doubt it will be before next week that the short list will be fully gone through.

So please be chill and keep training away.

A little tip, if your not working why not try getting up early every day and going for a short run 1-2 miles before your shower and breakfast.

It might help start getting your body in the routine.

Start turning off your phone at 0630 and not picking it up again until 1930.

Been caught using a mobile during the working day will result in removal of phone privledges so learn to do without.

Just to update you kids.

General Enlistment medicals are still ongoing this week.

So i'm sorry but I doubt it will be before next week that the short list will be fully gone through.

So please be chill and keep training away.

A little tip, if your not working why not try getting up early every day and going for a short run 1-2 miles before your shower and breakfast.

It might help start getting your body in the routine.

Start turning off your phone at 0630 and not picking it up again until 1930.

Been caught using a mobile during the working day will result in removal of phone privledges so learn to do without.

thank you so much for the update and the tips

• Advertisement

No worries.

I hope you all like DPM and Boots as you be in that for the first few weeks solid.

Make sure you have black shorts and white sports socks.

If you not used to running, start now.
    Bring a small blister kit.

If your nipples chaff, get tit tape or use vaseline.

You have a least 5 weeks, you can get fairly cardiovascularly for in as little as four.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jamie1989

No worries.

I hope you all like DPM and Boots as you be in that for the first few weeks solid.

Make sure you have black shorts and white sports socks.

If you not used to running, start now.
    Bring a small blister kit.

If your nipples chaff, get tit tape or use vaseline.

You have a least 5 weeks, you can get fairly cardiovascularly for in as little as four.

Thanks a million for the feedback. Do you have any idea the start date for the first batch?

Last week of Sept-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭spl99

So it looks like we'll be told next week or the week after? Thats not too bad if thats the case. I think the worst part of all this is the not knowing!
    Anywho, should be soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kaiserdave

Fingers crossed. Got myself some books to keep me occupied after the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ChrisM93

Has any one heard anything yet? I had my medical on the 4th August and Havent heard since!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Chalkyw91

ChrisM93 wrote:
    Has any one heard anything yet? I had my medical on the 4th August and Havent heard since!

No lad, nothing yet. Shouldn't be too long more though.

Just keep yourself busy! It's what we're all having to do :D

Out of curiousity, how similar will our training be to the armies? I imagine basic training is fairly similar for all branches except ours will be more water orientated? Or am i completely wrong? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ChrisM93

spl99 wrote: »
    Just keep yourself busy! It's what we're all having to do :D

Out of curiousity, how similar will our training be to the armies? I imagine basic training is fairly similar for all branches except ours will be more water orientated? Or am i completely wrong? :P

I'm pretty sure it's two weeks down in haubowline for just the navy cadets and then it's 3 months in the curragh with cadets from all branches for basic training. And after that (around New Years) it's back down to cork to train for the navy. That's only from what I remember them telling us.

ChrisM93 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's two weeks down in haubowline for just the navy cadets and then it's 3 months in the curragh with cadets from all branches for basic training. And after that (around New Years) it's back down to cork to train for the navy. That's only from what I remember them telling us.
    And what about naval recruits?

• Advertisement

I'd imagine the fitness an weapons training would be very similar to the army, few things different then with the theory side of things. Like we would be doing sea survival courses where the army recruit would probably be doing tactics

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ryan89

No nothing yet. I had my Medical on July 15th . They must be waiting untill all the meds are done so they can tell everyone at the same time.
    I went up to the commissioning ceremony of the Le James Joyce yesterday, it was very cool to see. The ship is also open for public viewing today between 1400 and 1700hrs in Dun Laoghaire harbour for anyone thats interested

• Registered Users Posts: 31 IP2015

Ben Matter wrote: »
    Just got my email today saying I have a medical on the 31st of August, so happy.

Ah Cool I did mine on Monday as well .. Wonder when will we get word on it ??

IP2015 wrote:
    Ah Cool I did mine on Monday as well .. Wonder when will we get word on it ??

Did they tell ur how long before ye would hear anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 IP2015

No absolutely nothing ... Didn't tell me anything .. What about u ??

Yeah we were told 3 weeks and that was 3 weeks ago since Monday. If they're still doing Medicals this week we won't hear anything this week though.

Chalkyw91 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the fitness an weapons training would be very similar to the army, few things different then with the theory side of things. Like we would be doing sea survival courses where the army recruit would probably be doing tactics

It's the exact same syllabus but with more navak subjects such as DCFF, Pistol, Sea Survival, Maritime Interdiction, Naval Ethos and Values etc.

A naval recruit can do a army privates job but not vice versa.

The standard of training is way higher.

The dress standard is higher.
    The drill standard is a mile higher.
    The tactical phase is very similar but it's is use to physical test the classes not really to impart any high level of section in attack or reaction to contact drills etc.

Naval NCOs would eat those army dudes alive.

You cannot swear on the square at a person like that, it's hallowed ground.

You will not be belittled in front of a class like that, as you are not allowed to carry out a collective punishment in that manner.

You feck up, everybody gets the pain not just you.
    Foot drill or arms drill is not used for punishment, PT and dirty details are.

If you smart mouth you will be dropped down into the leaning rest position (top of a push up) the instructor will count prefect pushups only.

You will be trained and educated and made in to sailors.

You will be gilty sailors by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RedBanana

Hello,

Just after finishing my leaving cert a few years back I applied for the cadets and didn't get in. Now I've completed a degree in chemical engineering and found a job but I'm thinking about applying again next year.

Would anyone in the know be able to advise on which corps would best suit my skills. Initial thoughts were ordnance...

Regards

It's the exact same syllabus but with more navak subjects such as DCFF, Pistol, Sea Survival, Maritime Interdiction, Naval Ethos and Values etc.

A naval recruit can do a army privates job but not vice versa.

The standard of training is way higher.

The dress standard is higher.
    The drill standard is a mile higher.
    The tactical phase is very similar but it's is use to physical test the classes not really to impart any high level of section in attack or reaction to contact drills etc.

Naval NCOs would eat those army dudes alive.

You cannot swear on the square at a person like that, it's hallowed ground.

You will not be belittled in front of a class like that, as you are not allowed to carry out a collective punishment in that manner.

You feck up, everybody gets the pain not just you.
    Foot drill or arms drill is not used for punishment, PT and dirty details are.

If you smart mouth you will be dropped down into the leaning rest position (top of a push up) the instructor will count prefect pushups only.

You will be trained and educated and made in to sailors.

You will be gilty sailors by the end.

Thank you.

Out of curiosity is a naval recruit based in Haulbowline for the duration of the training?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 .300 WinMag

Is there any information regarding naval reserve recruitment?

Advertisement