Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Navy Recruitment 2015

• 03-05-2015 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Does anyone have any idea when the training will start ? I know we have only done the fitness test but I would like to plan a bit the future as I'm thinking of getting a new job but don't see any interest of doing so if I will have to leave in 3 or 4 months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭danube

Celticlily wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea when the training will start ? I know we have only done the fitness test but I would like to plan a bit the future as I'm thinking of getting a new job but don't see any interest of doing so if I will have to leave in 3 or 4 months.
    They first batch of 40 start in September. The medicals are in July. Don't be too convinced your going to pass all stages. We still have an unsupervised online test, then a interview, then a supervised online test and then a medical. 1,200 people did apply and there was a decent turnout for the fitness test with nearly everyone passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Celticlily

danube wrote: »
    They first batch of 40 start in September. The medicals are in July. Don't be too convinced your going to pass all stages. We still have an unsupervised online test, then a interview, then a supervised online test and then a medical. 1,200 people did apply and there was a decent turnout for the fitness test with nearly everyone passing.

I'm not convinced I'm going to pass all stages. I'm even pretty sure I won't pass the unsupervised online test as the sample they sent to us seemed quite difficult. But in case I do (with very few chances I know) I would like to know when the training will start to kind of get ready for it. But thanks for the answer anyway :) And good luck to you !!

We just got an email there with a MUCH more easier practice test. I say the supervised test will be be much harder if there is one. It says in the email, "candidates may have to sit a supervised test". I was told that everyone would have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gg1305

We just got an email there with a MUCH more easier practice test. I say the supervised test will be be much harder if there is one. It says in the email, "candidates may have to sit a supervised test". I was told that everyone would have to.

The first test given was an example of the cadets psychometric test, the second one received was general enlistment and is much easier, the supervised retest is the very same layout as the online one, and as such is no more or less difficult, the supervised test is only there to gauge if there was any massive differences. Due to using a calculator or a friend, etc.

Yeah I kind of feel better now that I've seen what we need to do. Anyway good luck for everyone and thanks a million for all the details you gave me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 soupyryan13

Did ye guys apply for the cadetship competition? I received the email for the online tests last week but im worried when i here ye have done the physical already ??

Did ye guys apply for the cadetship competition? I received the email for the online tests last week but im worried when i here ye have done the physical already ??
    I applied for the army cadetship. The fitness test wont be until stage 2 which takes place from the 21st june to 3rd July.

It's a complete different competition so don't worry :) You'll do the physical test later. It gives you more time to work on your running. Don't forget : the faster you run the more chances you get to join :) I wish you good luck and maybe one day we'll serve together ;)

It's a complete different competition so don't worry :) You'll do the physical test later. It gives you more time to work on your running. Don't forget : the faster you run the more chances you get to join :) I wish you good luck and maybe one day we'll serve together ;)
    What do you mean "the faster you run the more chances you get to join"?? I assume everyone that passes the fitness test goes straight on to the next stage.

Yes if you pass the fitness test you go on to the next stage but I believe you get a mark which depends of your running time. It would be unfair that someone who runs the 2,4km in 11 minutes get as many chances to join in as someone who runs it in 8 minutes. There is a huge difference between the two of them. They want fit persons, the best of the best. With 1200 people applying you need to make a selection. It's logic that you get a mark for each of your three exams (sports, psychometric and the interview) and then with your average they'll see if you are in the first 80 or not.
    I think we're still about 1000 to undertake the psychometric as few people failed their fitness test and few others didn't even turn up.
    I was doing the fitness tests on the 14th and in my group of 20 people, one guy failed the push ups and about 4 or 5 failed to the running test.
    Mayb I'm wrong and in this case correct me but I think this is the way they do the selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 ThawkA

Yes if you pass the fitness test you go on to the next stage but I believe you get a mark which depends of your running time. It would be unfair that someone who runs the 2,4km in 11 minutes get as many chances to join in as someone who runs it in 8 minutes. There is a huge difference between the two of them. They want fit persons, the best of the best. With 1200 people applying you need to make a selection. It's logic that you get a mark for each of your three exams (sports, psychometric and the interview) and then with your average they'll see if you are in the first 80 or not.
    I think we're still about 1000 to undertake the psychometric as few people failed their fitness test and few others didn't even turn up.
    I was doing the fitness tests on the 14th and in my group of 20 people, one guy failed the push ups and about 4 or 5 failed to the running test.
    Mayb I'm wrong and in this case correct me but I think this is the way they do the selection.

The fitness test is pass or fail. Number of push ups, sit ups or run time better than the pass mark time don't change anything. You'll be made fit regardless if you do it in 8 or 11 minutes.

ThawkA wrote: »
    The fitness test is pass or fail. Number of push ups, sit ups or run time better than the pass mark time don't change anything. You'll be made fit regardless if you do it in 8 or 11 minutes.
    I don't know tbh. They did note my time of 9.02 minutes. Why would they do that if it was pass/fail? When I did my test for the reserves, they didn't take any time. They just crossed you off when you finished under the time. I reckon they take a certain amount from the psychometric tests and its in the interview where they get rid of the majority of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ThawkA

I don't know tbh. They did note my time of 9.02 minutes. Why would they do that if it was pass/fail? When I did my test for the reserves, they didn't take any time. They just crossed you off when you finished under the time. I reckon they take a certain amount from the psychometric tests and its in the interview where they get rid of the majority of them.

It's pass or fail, trust me. But just for certain, taken from the Cadetship Terms and Conditions:

"Aerobic endurance
    Candidates will be required to run one and a half miles within the time limit below: (This is a pass or fail test)"

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Its Pass or Fail.

How did everyone get on with the online tests? Will it just be the top 300/400 to go through to the interview stage? I can't see them getting to interview 700+ people in just 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭spl99

I managed to get the 25 (or was it 24) of the true and false questions done and I think they went ok. Coulda been worse I suppose.
    As for the numeracy one, kinda annoyed with how some of it went. Not sure how many I got done but I didn't finish it (i'd say I was close to the end). Got about 3 wrong all together with two of them being silly mistakes I made and the last one I panicked with when I realized I had less than 10 seconds to go :P Hopefully got enough to go to the supervised part or just to the next stage altogether.
    How'd you find it?

Doing my army cadets one tomorrow...oh boy that's gonna be something :P

I answered all the questions for the true and false part. I didn't finish the maths part. I stopped at the "(??x??x??) + ?? + ?? = 354" but got all the tasks before right so....bit stressed there. Now we just need to wait...we should hear from them before the end of the month (well I hope so). Does anyone know what we're going to be asked for during the interview ?

The cadet's one seems to be really tough ! How did you get on ?

I answered all the questions for the true and false part. I didn't finish the maths part. I stopped at the "(??x??x??) + ?? + ?? = 354" but got all the tasks before right so....bit stressed there. Now we just need to wait...we should hear from them before the end of the month (well I hope so). Does anyone know what we're going to be asked for during the interview ?

The cadet's one seems to be really tough ! How did you get on ?
    We might hear from them by Friday. I think its only the top scoring candidates that get selected for an interview. How are they going to interview 600-800 people?

Awesome in a nervous kind of way about hearing back by tomorrow! What about the re-test though?

Well the re-test is just to make sure you didn't cheat the first time. It's a similar one so if you've been honest with yourself and didn't use a calculator or a friend you should be grand

• Advertisement

They told be the re-test takes place after the interview for those that make it that far. I said we "might" hear from them today as it only took them a few days to organsie the fitness test.

Got an email this afternoon for the supervised psychometric tests. I'll be going them on the 4th of June ! Did everyone get one ?

Well thats a bummer, never got one, hoping they're sending em out in batches :D Although, I'll be in my english paper 2 exam that day so wouldn't have been able to go to it.

Anywho, enough of me!

Good job bud! Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gg1305

Still nothing with me either, maybe they're going alphabetically?

I hope so :P But are they really going to do them all through the leaving cert...? Seems a bit unfair to do that...

Maybe that's why I got an email and you didn't. I'm not doing the leaving certificate. Otherwise it really is unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fasnet353

Yeah, still no reply from them yet. If your supervised assessment is on June 4th, does that mean the two day assessment stage at Haulbowline is at the start of June?

fasnet353 wrote: »
    Yeah, still no reply from them yet. If your supervised assessment is on June 4th, does that mean the two day assessment stage at Haulbowline is at the start of June?
    What is the "two day assessment stage"? Surely it takes more than two days to get everyone to do the online test.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fasnet353

The 2015 Cadet booklet. Page | 11 T&C’s dated 7 April 2015

Stage 2 – Assessment Phase
    Naval Service candidates, who have attained the requisite score at Stage 1, will be required to attend at the Naval Base, Haulbowline, Cork for the Assessment phase (overnight duration) of the competition.

The Assessment Phase will consist of the following:

Supervised online Psychometric Test. If a candidate’s performance at a supervised test is outside the expected scoring range from their unsupervised test at stage 1, they may be excluded from subsequent stages of the selection process.

Group Assessment: Candidates will be required to participate in a group assessment.

The Realistic Job Preview: This involves a familiarisation visit to the Naval College, Haulbowline, Cork and informal interaction with instructional staff and Cadets.

All components will be conducted on the one occasion.

Physical Fitness Test.
    In order to qualify for a Cadetship, candidates will be required to undergo a physical fitness test, which is designed to assess their potential to undergo the rigours of military training. Candidates must attain the minimum standard laid down in order to proceed in the competition. A candidate must complete this test as part of their Naval Service Cadetship application; this test is not valid for any other Cadetship applications or other Defence Force competitions. (See Annex ‘C’ for details of the test and suggested training programme).

Note: If a candidate fails to meet minimum standards of the Group Assessment Test or the Physical Fitness Test he/she will not be permitted to proceed to the next stage of the competition.

Online Personality Questionnaire.
    Candidates who have attained the requisite score at Stage 2 of the competition will be sent an online personality questionnaire to be completed within the time frame specified by the Defence Forces prior to attending for interview.

Maybe not a two day affair but overnight it would seem.

• Advertisement

fasnet353 wrote: »
    The 2015 Cadet booklet. Page | 11 T&C’s dated 7 April 2015

Stage 2 – Assessment Phase
    Naval Service candidates, who have attained the requisite score at Stage 1, will be required to attend at the Naval Base, Haulbowline, Cork for the Assessment phase (overnight duration) of the competition.

The Assessment Phase will consist of the following:

Supervised online Psychometric Test. If a candidate’s performance at a supervised test is outside the expected scoring range from their unsupervised test at stage 1, they may be excluded from subsequent stages of the selection process.

Group Assessment: Candidates will be required to participate in a group assessment.

The Realistic Job Preview: This involves a familiarisation visit to the Naval College, Haulbowline, Cork and informal interaction with instructional staff and Cadets.

All components will be conducted on the one occasion.

Physical Fitness Test.
    In order to qualify for a Cadetship, candidates will be required to undergo a physical fitness test, which is designed to assess their potential to undergo the rigours of military training. Candidates must attain the minimum standard laid down in order to proceed in the competition. A candidate must complete this test as part of their Naval Service Cadetship application; this test is not valid for any other Cadetship applications or other Defence Force competitions. (See Annex ‘C’ for details of the test and suggested training programme).

Note: If a candidate fails to meet minimum standards of the Group Assessment Test or the Physical Fitness Test he/she will not be permitted to proceed to the next stage of the competition.

Online Personality Questionnaire.
    Candidates who have attained the requisite score at Stage 2 of the competition will be sent an online personality questionnaire to be completed within the time frame specified by the Defence Forces prior to attending for interview.

Maybe not a two day affair but overnight it would seem.
    I thought you were talking about general enlistment.

Advertisement