Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Navy Recruitment 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ryan89

Does anybody have an idea about the number of people that got called to do medicals . I was july 15th and there was 7 lads there with me doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Chalkyw91

Ryan89 wrote:
    Does anybody have an idea about the number of people that got called to do medicals . I was july 15th and there was 7 lads there with me doing it

there was 9 scheduled to do it the day I was there but 1 lad didn't turn up

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭spl99

Did mine on the 20th of July and there was 8 of us

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Campbellman

well did my medical around the 15th of july still havent heard anything , just want to know has anyone ??

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brian Clowen

Chalkyw91 wrote: »
    Thank you.

Out of curiosity is a naval recruit based in Haulbowline for the duration of the training?

All military subjects are thought in Haulbowline.

A lot of training is done in the NMCI.

IF you do a basic swimming course (not always done) that will normally be in the Curragh.

Combat PT and Log Runs are generally local in Curraghbinny Woods.

Tactical training is generally in Kilworth sometimes (rarely) in Bere Island.

You have a good chance this year folks, 40 pers intake in Sept and another 40 pers in Dec.

It looks like 80-120 a year for the 2/3 years as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 IP2015

Does anybody know how tough the training is , is it like army training or different ??

IP2015 wrote: »
    Does anybody know how tough the training is , is it like army training or different ??

It is as tough as and tougher than the army course in certain aspects.

Certainly the standard of dress, foot and arms drill are at a far higher standard than the army.

Your passing out parade is a 20 mins foot and arms drill in complete silence with bayonet fixed to the rifle.

The room and kit inspections are way above the army level, the army are slobs compared to the navy.

You have a whole bunch of naval specific stuff to complete as well that the army don't do.

Maritime Interdiction Team Members course.
    Personal Survival Techniques course.
    Personal Safety and Social Responsibility course.

And also loads of dog watch classes to attend in the evenings.

You will be on the go from 0600 until 1100 every day.

You will march during foot drill for miles everyday alone.

You will PT each and everyday.

You will have EMAs (Early Morning Activities) every other day.

You will have combat PT and Log Runs in full CEFO.

You will run Curraghbinny Woods for 2 hours doing outdoor circuits then force March 10 km back to base, just for PT.

has anyone got the email saying you have been accepted ?

Not yet, just gotta keep ourselves busy until the time comes although I'm finding it kinda hard as my friends have all left for Uni and I'm the only one left in my area which sucks but I'll be ready when the times comes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ryan89

Not yet. Hopefully we will hear something this week. 8 wks wait this Wednesday, feels like we'll hear soon.
    I was supposed to be flying to scotland this week to start a course which ive now cancelled. Hopefully itll be worth canceling.
    Stayin busy, keepin body and mind focused. Eating cardio for breakfast every morning. Ready more than ever.
    Best of luck to everyone :)

• Advertisement

What are you guys all doing to keep up the fitness? This week I figured I'd do a 5k walk every morning around the hill just to wake me up, couple of hours later I do a 10k cycle and at the 5k mark theres a castle so I jog, carefully, up the stairs, in the afternoon I do a 2.5k run and in the evening I head down to the gym and work out down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

It is as tough as and tougher than the army course in certain aspects.

Certainly the standard of dress, foot and arms drill are at a far higher standard than the army.

Your passing out parade is a 20 mins foot and arms drill in complete silence with bayonet fixed to the rifle.

The room and kit inspections are way above the army level, the army are slobs compared to the navy.

You have a whole bunch of naval specific stuff to complete as well that the army don't do.

Maritime Interdiction Team Members course.
    Personal Survival Techniques course.
    Personal Safety and Social Responsibility course.

And also loads of dog watch classes to attend in the evenings.

You will be on the go from 0600 until 1100 every day.

You will march during foot drill for miles everyday alone.

You will PT each and everyday.

You will have EMAs (Early Morning Activities) every other day.

You will have combat PT and Log Runs in full CEFO.

You will run Curraghbinny Woods for 2 hours doing outdoor circuits then force March 10 km back to base, just for PT.

Have you served in the Naval service or were you a reserve member?.

Have you served in the Naval service or were you a reserve member?.

Naval Service.

10 years in Naval College over the course of my career.

Yourself?

Medical are now finished I believe.

So it'll be very soon folks, 40 now during the last week of Sept and then 40 in December so they will be counted as 2015 intake.

You'll be brought in before Xmas doing your soft week and then back for full time trg in first week Jan.

Fingers crossed and the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gg1305

Medical are now finished I believe.

So it'll be very soon folks, 40 now during the last week of Sept and then 40 in December so they will be counted as 2015 intake.

You'll be brought in before Xmas doing your soft week and then back for full time trg in first week Jan.

Fingers crossed and the best of luck.

Do you know roughly when we can hope to hear something?
    Does the date you did a medical play a part in which platoon you'll be in?

Is it going to be this week or next week? ;)

Also, to the guy who was interested in the Naval reserves, they're recruiting at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Naval Service.

10 years in Naval College over the course of my career.

Yourself?

Army.
    12th Infantry Battalion.

I find your comments fan-boyish frankly, In my opinion both branches meet the same standard in their respected areas, Both Foot Drills, Accommodation standards Dress standards i would argue that are similar within all branches of the Military.

Army.
    12th Infantry Battalion.

I find your comments fan-boyish frankly, In my opinion both branches meet the same standard in their respected areas, Both Foot Drills, Accommodation standards Dress standards i would argue that are similar within all branches of the Military.

That's great, my brother was 1st Batt.

My comments are tailored to gender a get up and go spirit in these potential new recruits on a thread where the interest is in joining the Naval Service.

I don't agree with you however I am unshamedly biased in my opinion.

I would argue that Naval College dress is far smarter looking, the foot and arms drills silent displays where the class make the anchor, INS and do their rapid staggered drill is outstanding for young people would could not March 16 weeks prior.

The level of ships husbandry the Naval College requires is of a level beyond the comprehension of that of our army or aer corp collegues.

So we will have to agree to disagree I'm afraid and please note that my comments are not in any way to do down any other branch if the DF but only illustrate the fierce pride I have in and the high esteem I hold the Naval Service.

We are all after all óglas Óglaigh na nÉireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

That's great, my brother was 1st Batt.

My comments are tailored to gender a get up and go spirit in these potential new recruits on a thread where the interest is in joining the Naval Service.

I don't agree with you however I am unshamedly biased in my opinion.

I would argue that Naval College dress is far smarter looking, the foot and arms drills silent displays where the class make the anchor, INS and do their rapid staggered drill is outstanding for young people would could not March 16 weeks prior.

The level of ships husbandry the Naval College requires is of a level beyond the comprehension of that of our army or aer corp collegues.

So we will have to agree to disagree I'm afraid and please note that my comments are not in any way to do down any other branch if the DF but only illustrate the fierce pride I have in and the high esteem I hold the Naval Service.

We are all after all óglas Óglaigh na nÉireann.

Aw man, your comment earlier in the thread had nothing to do with gandering enthusiasm from potential NS Recruits.

No amount of pride in your Branch warrants the running down of another Branch and that is exactly what you did. Stating that the Army are slobs compared to the NS is bollox......sure what would you know about it?

Silent drill is not unique to the NS. I have performed the "Figure 8" silent drill when passing out as a Private back in '99. It hadn't been done in the previous 15 years but no big deal. When I trained Army recruits in the past. We did the same thing.

Being biased and having a neater uniform is no basis to say "my Branch is better then your Branch" and tbh, it shows poor leadership on your behalf to instill such an attitude into potential NS Recruits here.

You are correct that NS Recruits do things that their counterparts in other Branches don't do. That also works both ways. Unfortunately you have suggested that NS Recruits and the NS as a whole are a superior Branch.

I mean no disrespect but your comments don't reflect as if you are very experienced as an Instructor. Are you newly promoted or newly posted into the NS Col? (No need to answer). This has also been picked up on by AllthingsCP.

All Branches hold high standards of their Recruits, I'd be worried if they didn't.

Anyway I'm very OT! Best of luck to all!

• Advertisement

Aw man, your comment earlier in the thread had nothing to do with gandering enthusiasm from potential NS Recruits.

No amount of pride in your Branch warrants the running down of another Branch and that is exactly what you did. Stating that the Army are slobs compared to the NS is bollox......sure what would you know about it?

Silent drill is not unique to the NS. I have performed the "Figure 8" silent drill when passing out as a Private back in '99. It hadn't been done in the previous 15 years but no big deal. When I trained Army recruits in the past. We did the same thing.

Being biased and having a neater uniform is no basis to say "my Branch is better then your Branch" and tbh, it shows poor leadership on your behalf to instill such an attitude into potential NS Recruits here.

You are correct that NS Recruits do things that their counterparts in other Branches don't do. That also works both ways. Unfortunately you have suggested that NS Recruits and the NS as a whole are a superior Branch.

I mean no disrespect but your comments don't reflect as if you are very experienced as an Instructor. Are you newly promoted or newly posted into the NS Col? (No need to answer). This has also been picked up on by AllthingsCP.

All Branches hold high standards of their Recruits, I'd be worried if they didn't.

Anyway I'm very OT! Best of luck to all!

All right I can see I rubbed a nerve there.

However if you two above are service pers then you should have slightly thicker skins than this.

I base my opinion and it is only my opinion on 26 years of service and nearly all of that spent in a training evironment when not posted to a vessel or overseas.

I am not here to justify my experience or start measuring genitalia with you all.

My opinion still stands I would advise anyone joining the defence forces to join the Naval Service.

It is as a whole superior to any other branch of the DF.

I suspect that all branchs feel just the same about themselves and I know from my army counterparts and friends that they feel we are a bunch of flowery fair weather sea hags without class or snap.

However we don't care as we know their opinions are borne out of jealousy and envy as they are at end of the day neolithic honkies.

And back to the thread no further info for you all still waiting for final list.

*gulp* The final list...that's what it's come down to now!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gg1305

spl99 wrote: »
    *gulp* The final list...that's what it's come down to now!

I know the anticipation is killing me!
    I wonder how many of peopleed for medicals actually make it and how it'll be decided into when you start?

gg1305 wrote: »
    I know the anticipation is killing me!
    I wonder how many of peopleed for medicals actually make it and how it'll be decided into when you start?

Remember you have 80 places before Xmas.

That's good odds!

And most importantly if this doesn't work out, please don't stress out.

There are many fabulous different lines of work for someone who is willing and able to apply themselves.

And they will be 80 if not 100 place next year possibly of the same short list.

gg1305 wrote: »
    Do you know roughly when we can hope to hear something?
    Does the date you did a medical play a part in which platoon you'll be in?

I'm afraid I can't as I just don't know.

No the class (no platoons) will be determined by your finishing points overall I think.

You have been graded and the medical is just pass or fail.

The medicals were not in any major order availability was more important.

I also don't know how long the order of merit will last so the list might stand until early 2017 or until it is no longer viable to make a class out of it.

Sorry for all the questions buuuuuut ;)
    Do you know how many of us were taken through for the medicals?

spl99 wrote: »
    Sorry for all the questions buuuuuut ;)
    Do you know how many of us were taken through for the medicals?

No the foggyest i'm afraid but I will try to find out.

hi guys still no word on any emails ?? just makin sure that this is the recruits competition you are talking about and not the cadetship ??

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭DOB01

hi guys still no word on any emails ?? just makin sure that this is the recruits competition you are talking about and not the cadetship ??

yes it is the recruit competition. best of luck

• Advertisement

cheers ! im getting nervous now i really hope we find out this week ... does anyone know that if im accepted do i go into the december class or the September class ?

Advertisement