Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭wer*

Mellor wrote: »
    They are available now. You get them by logging into fight club and go to events, then UFC 189. It's near the top of the list of events.

Anybody have a spare Fight Club bar code for the weigh ins they are not using?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Terrible how? (serious question)
    People keep talking about how its a "strain on the body", and how "can't be good for you". But never say why or how.

There's obviously no health benefit, but that doesn't automatically mean its bad for you.
    I suppose to clarify, I'm not talking about sustained dehydration which could lead to all sorts I suppose. Most fighters would be aiming to be spend as little time as necessary at the required weight.

Lower body water volume = lower blood volume = increase in resting heart rate. It's a big strain on your heart and other organs. Hence why you see guys like Barao and Gastelum collapsing. I remember Aldo saying he didnt feel comfortable walking up the stairs during a weight cut because he felt his heart pounding.

They spend as little time as possible but the whole dehydration process probably goes on for about 1-2 days, not the mention starving yourself for the whole week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 donny sarko

That much dehydration is terrible for you.

that would explain why Conor always looks so terrifying at the weigh-ins... it's gas that he then has a go at his opponent when he is probably fit to collapse with dehydration

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Anyone on the fight club not heading Vegas??

Id snap your hand off for weight in tickets! Pm if your not going

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

They are available now. You get them by logging into fight club and go to events, then UFC 189. It's near the top of the list of events.

Champion!

Are you heading over Mellor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Terrible how? (serious question)
    People keep talking about how its a "strain on the body", and how "can't be good for you". But never say why or how.

There's obviously no health benefit, but that doesn't automatically mean its bad for you.
    I suppose to clarify, I'm not talking about sustained dehydration which could lead to all sorts I suppose. Most fighters would be aiming to be spend as little time as necessary at the required weight.

Here's a good article on it: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/12/12/7383419/mma-nutrition-diet-weight-cutting-guide-mma-george-lockhart.

The key point throughout seems to be that if it is done badly, weight cutting can have significant long-term effects. If done properly under proper supervision, the risk of long-term effects is dramatically diminished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jamesquinn

few chants for vegas...

take me on up to the spirit in the sky its where im going to go when i die
    when i die and the lay me to rest im gonna go on the piss with NO-TOR-IOUS

CONORS ****ING MAGIC, HE WEARS A MAGIC HAT .....AND WHEN HE SEEN CHAD MENDES HE SAID HED HAMMER THAT .......HE COULDA HAMMERED ALDO BUT ALDO IS A BITCH...SOOOOO NOW CHAD MENDES WILL BE KNOCKED OUT IN VEGAS...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

jamesquinn wrote: »
    few chants for vegas...

CONORS ****ING MAGIC, HE WEARS A MAGIC HAT .....AND WHEN HE SEEN CHAD MENDES HE SAID HED HAMMER THAT .......HE COULDA HAMMERED ALDO BUT ALDO IS A BITCH...SOOOOO NOW CHAD MENDES WILL BE KNOCKED OUT IN VEGAS...
    it's scientificly proven that people who chant these clever songs miss out on 75% of the fight

• Registered Users Posts: 55,096 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Probably been asked a 1000 times but what channel is showing this, and is it PPV on that channel or normal subscription?

yeah because il pay 2,500 grand to miss the fight..good thinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

walshb wrote: »
    Probably been asked a 1000 times but what channel is showing this, and is it PPV on that channel or normal subscription?

BT or ufc.tv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

When is the weigh in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Very balanced look at the upcoming main event: http://fightland.vice.com/blog/judging-the-celtic-tiger-an-honest-look-at-conor-mcgregor-vs-chad-mendes

I want Mendes to win but his most likely method of victory (keep Conor on his back for five rounds) relies on him having the tank for a five round championship fight. It's hard to get to that level of fitness with just over two weeks notice that you'll be fighting.

Dream finish is that he uses his takedown as a fake to get into striking range (as in one of the Aldo gifs in the article above) and puts the mouth to sleep :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

GiftofGab wrote: »
    When is the weigh in?

Friday at 4pm

If anyone with Fight Pass can spare a ticket for the weigh in it would be extremely appreciated! :o

Friday at 4pm

If anyone with Fight Pass can spare a ticket for the weigh in it would be extremely appreciated! :o

dont think its ticketed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

By the looks of it he's already well into the weight cut now. Posted on his Facebook page a half hour ago.... https://www.facebook.com/thenotoriousmma/posts/1093790347355930

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

A video put up on the UFC pve saying the PPV can be ordered on YouTube. Assume this is Americans only. Has this been done for other events? Haven't heard of it before.

Yeah its Americans only. Will watch this fight after work with a few pints but ordering it for the little brother. Think BT is the best option, get UFC 190 and different content too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

few chants for vegas...

Vegas doesn't really rhyme with bitch, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Irishcrx wrote: »
    I have to agree that the more I watch 'Team Alpha beach boys' the more and more dislikeable they become , what a bunch of knob jockeys.

Maybe Chad is the more likeable of the lot but never the less I really hope Conor breaks his jaw on Saturday night and leaves the lot of them standing with their mouths open.

'Shiiiittt bro dude, Chad got knocked out bro'

Hoping McGregor wins myself but would never wish a serious injury on any opponent no matter how much I hate them. Hopefully both fighters come out of it in one piece and if Mendes unfortunately prevails then best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Out of curiosity, If McGregor loses to Mendes, what will he say In his interviews? Will he still go on like he's the greatest, will he still thrash talk everyone and say he's beaten everyone the UFC has etc etc, or will his attitude and approach change? Also It would put him out of the title picture with Aldo vs Mendes 3. What would be next for Conor?

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Vegas doesn't really rhyme with bitch, I'm afraid.

Its all in the way you say it. Why you hating :)

meself and another novice were watching aldo mendes 2 again yesterday....close enough at the end i'd say was it?? mendes was clever enough and well able to disrupt aldos game.

Out of curiosity, If McGregor loses to Mendes, what will he say In his interviews? Will he still go on like he's the greatest, will he still thrash talk everyone and say he's beaten everyone the UFC has etc etc, or will his attitude and approach change? Also It would put him out of the title picture with Aldo vs Mendes 3. What would be next for Conor?
    John Kavanagh has added to it in the journal today and there is no going back from that!!! "conor is the number 1 martial artist on the planet" ....so there ya go!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

meself and another novice were watching aldo mendes 2 again yesterday....close enough at the end i'd say was it?? mendes was clever enough and well able to disrupt aldos game.

I scored the fight an easy Aldo victory 49 46 but Mendes certainly did rattle him a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

jjdonegal wrote: »
    Hoping McGregor wins myself but would never wish a serious injury on any opponent no matter how much I hate them. Hopefully both fighters come out of it in one piece and if Mendes unfortunately prevails then best of luck to him.

Figure of speech , I woulnd't want any fighter seriously hurt either , I just hope Mendes is beaten...that'll do me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Does it really matter

It's all talk to build the fights for more money

If he looses he works his way back up and will earn people's respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

He said this before

"I'm cocky in prediction, I'm confident in preparation, but I am always humble, in victory or defeat."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

few chants for vegas...

The next Kanye West or Jay-Z right there, you might never make it back from Vegas and could be signed up on the spot if anyone from Roc-a-fella records is around!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Does it really matter

It's all talk to build the fights for more money

If he looses he works his way back up and will earn people's respect.

Well yeah It does? If he loses he can no longer claim he's the greatest fighter in the world etc so he loses some of his persona and credibility. I'm wondering how he would take It and what his attitude would be going forward I'm not saying anything bad about your baby?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Axwell wrote: »
    The next Kanye West or Jay-Z right there, you might never make it back from Vegas and could be signed up on the spot if anyone from Roc-a-fella records is around!

Signed Up? More like signed in to the 'nut house' :pac:

Advertisement