Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Lukker- wrote: »
    I'm a small bit worried about Connor's cut though.

He's cutting 27lbs in 8 days according to Chael, mental really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I've been trying to cut 27lbs for the last 8 months and I think i'm going to need another 8 months!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I've been trying to cut 27lbs for the last 8 months and I think i'm going to need another 8 months!!

Haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Haha :D

That's 12kg. I've seen guys do that in half that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

2 stone in 8 days is some strain on the body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Paraphrasing here, but I had to laugh when Chad was saying this is the biggest fight in UFC history and his kids are going to look back in the future and say "my dad was part of the biggest UFC fight in history". Yeah, and absolutely nothing of it is because of you Chad! :pac:

Faber has come across as the most unlikeable and biggest dickhead on the whole series by a mile. Definitely that one guy in a group that everyone else says "I wish he'd shut the **** up for once" about. It's a pity someone didn't toss him over the side of that boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Paully D wrote: »
    Paraphrasing here, but I had to laugh when Chad was saying this is the biggest fight in UFC history and his kids are going to look back in the future and say "my dad was part of the biggest UFC fight in history". Yeah, and absolutely nothing of it is because of you Chad! :pac:

Faber has come across as the most unlikeable and biggest dickhead on the whole series by a mile. Definitely that one guy in a group that everyone else says "I wish he'd shut the **** up for once" about. It's a pity someone didn't toss him over the side of that boat.

:confused: He's the #2 featherweight in the world fighting a rising "superstar" for the interim belt? He's playing a fairly big part alright

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

:confused: He's the #2 featherweight in the world fighting a rising "superstar" for the interim belt? He's playing a fairly big part alright

Not really, Conor is the draw , take Mendes/Aldo/Edgar and put any of them in the cage the PPV would be poor, Conor is making this

In terms of Mendes' previous times on PPV - his first bout with Aldo sold 215,00 PPV's. His second bout with Aldo sold 180,000 PPV's. Before Aldo pulled out Dana said the fight was on course for over 1,000,000 PPV's.

PPV figures will be negatively impacted because of Mendes but yet this fight is still going to absolutely smash the previous PPV figures that he has posted by quite some distance.

There's a common denominator and his name is Conor McGregor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

scudzilla wrote: »
    Not really, Conor is the draw , take Mendes/Aldo/Edgar and put any of them in the cage the PPV would be poor, Conor is making this

It takes two to tango, Conor can't fight himself :pac:

Don't see why people are disliking Faber, he's just giving a bit back at McGregor.

• Advertisement

He can't, but Mendes' previous PPV numbers when up against Aldo (and vice-versa in fairness it must be said - Aldo did 330,000 against Edgar, 180,000 against Jung, yet 1,000,000 plus vs McGregor was being predicted by Dana) show that McGregor is the start of this show.

You could put any half decent featherweight into this slot once Aldo was ruled out and it's still going to outsell all of the aforementioned PPV's purely because of the McGregor factor.

Mendes has been in the main event slot for about a week at this stage and as far as we know has had 2 weeks notice all in. He has done absolutely nothing in terms of making it the biggest UFC fight in history. In fact, Mendes being on the card has likely stopped this event from actually being the 2nd biggest selling PPV in UFC history behind UFC 100.

He's still a part of the fight though, what he said is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Yeah I like Faber, screw you guys :P

Wish I was part of Team Alpha Male hanging out with the crew. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Paully D wrote: »
    He can't, but Mendes' previous PPV numbers when up against Aldo (and vice-versa in fairness it must be said - Aldo did 330,000 against Edgar, 180,000 against Jung, yet 1,000,000 plus vs McGregor was being predicted by Dana) show that McGregor is the start of this show.

You could put any half decent featherweight into this slot once Aldo was ruled out and it's still going to outsell all of the aforementioned PPV's purely because of the McGregor factor.

Mendes has been in the main event slot for about a week at this stage and as far as we know has had 2 weeks notice all in. He has done absolutely nothing in terms of making it the biggest UFC fight in history. In fact, Mendes being on the card has likely stopped this event from actually being the 2nd biggest selling PPV in UFC history behind UFC 100.

Dana can predict whatever he wants, It doesn't mean It's true until the figures are published. Mendes has had 2 weeks what did you expect him to do? He's given a good account of himself IMO, I think he's a good guy.

I'm not saying Conor isn't a draw, clearly he Is, I'm just saying Mendes is playing a part and IMO this is no where near the biggest fight in UFC history anyway.

Dana can predict whatever he wants, It doesn't mean It's true until the figures are published. Mendes has had 2 weeks what did you expect him to do? He's given a good account of himself IMO, I think he's a good guy.

I'm not saying Conor isn't a draw, clearly he Is, I'm just saying Mendes is playing a part and IMO this is no where near the biggest fight in UFC history anyway.

Mendes only having 2 weeks is exactly my point. He has had no time to do anything at all in terms of promotion and regardless, the PPV numbers are almost certainly going to go down with Mendes as main event as opposed to the originally scheduled fight which is why I had a giggle at his comment on Embedded. Any other half decent featherweight could have played a similar part in terms of numbers for this event IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I like Chad too. He's very difficult to dislike and seems to be a genuinely nice guy. If he was facing anyone other than Conor, I'd most probably be cheering for him to win. I just think his comment about being the biggest fight in UFC history when he has had no time to contribute to any real promotion and his scheduling will almost certainly result in a lower PPV number than initially estimated seemed misplaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Am I right in saying that difficulty with the cut is part of the reason why Poirier moved up a division?
    That's what he said, but he was never a particular big FW, so we can draw our own conclusions from that.
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    The handful of available seats have now been changed to "premium" or something, and trebled in price.

Thieving buggers.
    Those seats are part of the packages, they were always those prices afaik as it includes all the other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Tickets for early access to the weigh-in for Fight Club members are up in our accounts now to print off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mellor wrote: »
    Those seats are part of the packages, they were always those prices afaik as it includes all the other stuff.

Fairly sure they weren't.

Of course there were always premium package seats, but they bumped a lot of normal seats up after the sale started.

There was a lot of bitching online about it.

Once the event started to sell out they redesignated a lot of previously normal seats as premium. I know the premium seats have various extras, but it was still a cash grab.

There are seats in a worse spot than mine now selling for far more than I paid.

Knex. wrote: »
    2 stone in 8 days is some strain on the body.

It is but a lot of that is water weight.

As Conor himself said, " if I had to fight me, I'd probably run a mile too "

• Advertisement

I thought the platinum seats were part of the Ultimate fan packages, VIP packages etc. (They were usually at the edge of a section)
    But I went and had a look there, I see the ones you mean.
    A quick google turns up this

http://www.ticketmaster.com/h/platinum/buyerfaq.html

Basically ticketmaster uses dynamic pricing for the platinum tickets, like airplane seats so they increase as they sell out.
    Thats shockimg tbh, but I'd expect nothing less the 'murica

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

nocoverart wrote: »
    Watching that Embedded, them Team Alphamale guys are nothing more than middle aged jocks, cringeworthy to watch them all together. Chad actually comes across as the least hateable of a very hateable bunch. The GF's are the dolly bird equivalent....... Team Dude Bro.
    Every time I hear Faber speak I immediately think of this guy

latest?cb=20120609014025

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I have to agree that the more I watch 'Team Alpha beach boys' the more and more dislikeable they become , what a bunch of knob jockeys.

Maybe Chad is the more likeable of the lot but never the less I really hope Conor breaks his jaw on Saturday night and leaves the lot of them standing with their mouths open.

'Shiiiittt bro dude, Chad got knocked out bro'

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

Irishcrx wrote: »
    I have to agree that the more I watch 'Team Alpha beach boys' the more and more dislikeable they become , what a bunch of knob jockeys. '

Ya I was thinking the same while I was watching. The contrast between the camps is interesting to see. I love the way McGregor starts to wind down in the days before he fights. He speaks very well in the last embedded video gives a good insight to his way of thinking about MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

When will the tickets for the weigh in be made available and where can you get them? No mention of them on the main UFC site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It is but a lot of that is water weight.

That much dehydration is terrible for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Don't see why people are disliking Faber, he's just giving a bit back at McGregor.

I like Faber, but nobody is allowed to have a go at Conor. You know the rules.

When will the tickets for the weigh in be made available and where can you get them? No mention of them on the main UFC site?

They are available now. You get them by logging into fight club and go to events, then UFC 189. It's near the top of the list of events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

A video put up on the UFC pve saying the PPV can be ordered on YouTube. Assume this is Americans only. Has this been done for other events? Haven't heard of it before.

• Advertisement

That much dehydration is terrible for you.
    Terrible how? (serious question)
    People keep talking about how its a "strain on the body", and how "can't be good for you". But never say why or how.

There's obviously no health benefit, but that doesn't automatically mean its bad for you.
    I suppose to clarify, I'm not talking about sustained dehydration which could lead to all sorts I suppose. Most fighters would be aiming to be spend as little time as necessary at the required weight.

Advertisement