Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Well yeah It does? If he loses he can no longer claim he's the greatest fighter in the world etc so he loses some of his persona and credibility. I'm wondering how he would take It and what his attitude would be going forward I'm not saying anything bad about your baby?

Whatever you asked a question I gave my
    opinion

Why the attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Well yeah It does? If he loses he can no longer claim he's the greatest fighter in the world etc so he loses some of his persona and credibility. I'm wondering how he would take It and what his attitude would be going forward I'm not saying anything bad about your baby?

It would be the same as any other fighter who ever lost.

He would say he lost to the better man on the night and he's going to work harder to get better and he'd fight Lamas or somebody around the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

So what are these premium and platinum tickets like? what do ya get for how much in comparison to standard tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Whatever you asked a question I gave my
    opinion

Why the attitude?

You were very blunt and acted very defensive of Conor as If you thought I was attacking him that's why the attitude. Apologies If I picked you up wrong.
    mdwexford wrote: »

He would say he lost to the better man on the night and he's going to work harder to get better and he'd fight Lamas or somebody around the end of the year.

Would It tho? Not every fighter thought they were Bruce Lee 2.0 and stated that they could beat anyone anywhere anytime, world no.1 PVP, could beat Floyd in a boxing match etc. It seems like he's committed so much to this persona that If he loses, he also loses his characters credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

mdwexford wrote: »

If he was to lose you'd hope/expect to see him headline the Dublin show imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

You were very blunt and acted very defensive of Conor as If you thought I was attacking him that's why the attitude. Apologies If I picked you up wrong.

Would It tho? Not every fighter thought they were Bruce Lee 2.0 and stated that they could beat anyone anywhere anytime, world no.1 PVP, could beat Floyd in a boxing match etc. It seems like he's committed so much to this persona that If he loses, he also loses his characters credibility.

I dont think he ever said he would beat floyd in a boxing match. He said he would box him. He said he would beat him in a fight ( Not boxing match)

He also said he doesnt think boxing is the discipline to beat floyd in

No I didn't. I just answered with a question myself saying does it matter

Then went onto to give my opinion. Anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Ah the majority of that is talk to sell ppvs.
    Obviously he has supreme confidence in himself but everybody loses at some stage. As the quote above says I think he would be humble in defeat.
    stephenl15 wrote: »
    If he was to lose you'd hope/expect to see him headline the Dublin show imo

Forgot about that actually.
    From what he's saying he wants to be on that card but he might be too big for it at this stage whether he wins or loses on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lower body water volume = lower blood volume = increase in resting heart rate. It's a big strain on your heart and other organs. Hence why you see guys like Barao and Gastelum collapsing.
    I know a high heart rate is a strain over the long term (thousands of extra beats), over a short period is it really doing damage? Does going for a run damage our heart in the same regard.
    I have it in my head that clotting is an issue, but I'm not sure.
    None the less, weight cutting methods aim to remove more water from the areas like the skin - it's faster and also affects blood volume less.
    They spend as little time as possible but the whole dehydration process probably goes on for about 1-2 days, not the mention starving yourself for the whole week.
    They don't starve themselves for a week. A few extra lbs us no use if you can't function.
    They'd usually cut out food on the day of weighin. But they be eating food all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Inside the Octagon - Lawlor V mcDonald

Dan Hardy is a good pundit for MMA, really like his break down and analysis of each fighters strengths and weaknesses.

• Advertisement

Here's a good article on it: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/12/12/7383419/mma-nutrition-diet-weight-cutting-guide-mma-george-lockhart.

The key point throughout seems to be that if it is done badly, weight cutting can have significant long-term effects. If done properly under proper supervision, the risk of long-term effects is dramatically diminished.

If you fk it up you can die. I'm under no illusions in that regard. See Nova Uniao

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think it's more the effect on your brain that is the bigger problem
    Another interesting thing is, there’s a direct correlation between severe dehydration and a loss of volume in your brain. All your body fluids, when you dehydrate, shrink because there’s large water content. With these severe weight cuts, some of the brain mass actually shrinks a little bit because it becomes dehydrated. It’s like a sponge. But when you go into the ring, you don’t have that fully hydrated, the brain becomes more pliable and able to shift more, so it can knock around in the skull, making it more vulnerable to a concussion or a knockout.
    http://fightland.vice.com/blog/fight-doctor---the-weight-cut

What would be next for Conor?
    He probably slunk off to Belator, and fight some backyard brawler in a rigged fight. :rolleyes:

Mellor wrote: »
    He probably slunk off to Belator, and fight some backyard brawler in a rigged fight. :rolleyes:

Hilarious...

Firas Zahabi breaks down McGregor v Mendes.

Hahahaha nearly crying laughing at this! I'm assuming this guy isn't real, I can't access Twitter in work:(

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/mma/mma-bangwagon-conor-mcgregor-chad-mendes/30077

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

yep its just a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Mellor wrote: »
    Firas Zahabi breaks down McGregor v Mendes.

Good breakdown firas knows his stuff, it was more of a McGregor breakdown than a fight breakdown though. I'd like to hear more about Mendes and how they match up.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    yep its just a joke

Hilarious nonetheless :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Hahahaha nearly crying laughing at this! I'm assuming this guy isn't real, I can't access Twitter in work:(

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/mma/mma-bangwagon-conor-mcgregor-chad-mendes/30077

Gold. :pac:

• Advertisement

The fact that there's so much truth to It makes It so much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Meh, it had it's moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Still laughing at the reply to this one from that MixedMartialArts lad. Haha.
    1-vert.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Lower body water volume = lower blood volume = increase in resting heart rate. It's a big strain on your heart and other organs. Hence why you see guys like Barao and Gastelum collapsing. I remember Aldo saying he didnt feel comfortable walking up the stairs during a weight cut because he felt his heart pounding.

They spend as little time as possible but the whole dehydration process probably goes on for about 1-2 days, not the mention starving yourself for the whole week.

Joe Schilling said on rogan's podcast that he had to be helped up the stairs to the scale once because he was so weak from the cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Suppose Team RyanO used to be called SBG Northside if he wanted to play the OG card :)

Great response none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

McGregor needs to drop 27lbs before the weigh in ......yikes that a massive drop.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/mma/conor-mcgregor-has-to-lose-27lbs-in-eight-days-to-make-weight-for-title-fight-31358247.html

I think he’s struggling to make this weight at the moment. I can see him moving up to 155lbs once he fights aldo. He wanted to fight at 155 for this fight but they gave him Mendes instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I have a spare ticket for the fight now if anyone knows anyone travelling without a ticket that might be interested

GiftofGab wrote: »
    McGregor needs to drop 27lbs before the weigh in ......yikes that a massive drop.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/mma/conor-mcgregor-has-to-lose-27lbs-in-eight-days-to-make-weight-for-title-fight-31358247.html

I think he’s struggling to make this weight at the moment. I can see him moving up to 155lbs once he fights aldo. He wanted to fight at 155 for this fight but they gave him Mendes instead.

Wow that's some weight to have to drop.

Let's hope he recovers to his top level for the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Wow that's some weight to have to drop.

Let's hope he recovers to his top level for the fight.

According to John Kavanagh in the Journal this morning (http://www.the42.ie/john-kavanagh-interview-vegas-6-july-2201914-Jul2015/), Conor is lighter now than he was at this point in the lead up to the Siver fight.

In theory, you would have to think that's a good thing, assuming that he will have less water weight to cut and therefore will go through less of the effects of dehydration.

Does anyone know if SBG have someone who supervises their cuts? I know there's a few guys making their trade on being experts at fighter weight cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

He walks around at about 165 so I'd say the talk of him being 172 so close to a fight is way off.

Advertisement