Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Axwell wrote: »
    Hes too busy getting ready to fight Ivan Jorge

Oh you mean thattt Joe Duffy....

010915-ufc-Joseph-Duffy-pi-mp.vresize.1200.675.high.23.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

ASOT wrote: »
    This video is private.

Im calling Joe Duffy.

They are brutal at putting this stuff out, episode 3 of embedded was locked on private for ages too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Just looking at McGregors Record and it occured to me hes put himself in the position to be the UFC world champion in just his 20th pro fight, i dunno about you but thats fairly incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Depp wrote: »
    Just looking at McGregors Record and it occured to me hes put himself in the position to be the UFC world champion in just his 20th pro fight, i dunno about you but thats fairly incredible!

Ah sure he's no Brock Lesnar...

;)

They are brutal at putting this stuff out, episode 3 of embedded was locked on private for ages too.

Pretty sure that was to edit out a small part with mendes, but i agree there pretty terrible at consistently putting stuff out on time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭xtal191

A lot of the current champions won their belts before their 20th fight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Same for Velasquez. But I honestly think Americans get a head start with the UFC, especially if they've a wrestling background. They'll never sign Irish fighters at 2-0 or 4-0 like Weidman and Velasquez.

Even Nurmagomedov, signed with a 16-0 record and only now in the title talk at 22-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's nothing out if the ordinary tbh.

Aldo did it in 17, GSP and Jones in 14, and Weidman in 10.

If McGregor becomes the undisputed world champ it will be a phenomenal achievement regardless of time frame.

31 fights for Barao & 23 for Silva, would agree that Americans have it easier due to getting signed with low fight records.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Yeah he looked like a zombie here!

Looks like a junkie there!!!!

Davei141 wrote:
    At least try to pretend you have a bloody clue what is going on before adding your 2 cents.

The last I heard the doctors cleared him to fight........am I wrong?

Are you a medically trained doctor with access to Aldo??? How the fcuk do you have a bloody clue what you're on about if not through video interviews and Internet articles the same as anyone else????

Am I not entitled to an opinion based on the information I have gleened?

AFAIK the doctors cleared him to fight. I will take their opinion over yours thanks. If I am wrong that the doctors cleared him the ill hold my hands up.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

nc19 wrote: »
    The last I heard the doctors cleared him to fight........am I wrong?

Are you a medically trained doctor with access to Aldo??? How the fcuk do you have a bloody clue what you're on about if not through video interviews and Internet articles the same as anyone else????

Am I not entitled to an opinion based on the information I have gleened?

AFAIK the doctors cleared him to fight. I will take their opinion over yours thanks. If I am wrong that the doctors cleared him the ill hold my hands up.......

simmer down , relax

i heard he was cleared too , mcgregor and dana even said it and you'd assume they have the facts

some keyboard warriors on here

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ASOT wrote: »
    31 fights for Barao & 23 for Silva, would agree that Americans have it easier due to getting signed with low fight records.
    Random trivia:
    Silva was supposed to fight in the ufc back in 2001 (ufc 34). He only had 8 fights but they were giving him an immediate title shot based on a big win in Japan. But some sort of contract issue meant it didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

simmer down , relax

i heard he was cleared too , mcgregor and dana even said it and you'd assume they have the facts

There appears to be some debate on this which is mainly due to confusion over whether Aldo's rib is fractured or bruised. From what I understand, the Brazilian doctors who looked at him say it is a fracture (and Aldo released x-rays to the media which appear to back up this claim) while UFC are saying it is a bruised rib. I have read online that a bruised rib brings similar symptoms to a fractured rib (perhaps anyone on here with a medical background could shed some light on this).

Reading between the lines, I get the impression that this may come down to differing opinions from doctors. It looks to me like the UFC's doctor cleared him to fight but Aldo sought a second opinion from a different doctor who has recommended against him fighting/ not cleared him to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I think the majority on here have stopped giving a F*** about Aldo's rib. He's not fighting now , end of and we will probably see that fight sometime in the next 6 month's - 3 years. That's it really.

McGregor is fighting Mendes on Saturday let's focus on that and stop the merry go round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

My understanding anyway is that doctors cleared him to fight bu there was still too much pain and he wont fight McGregor at less than 100% which is fair enough in a way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Aldo Is not 100% It doesn't really matter If his rib is bruised,fractured,ruptured,broke or blown up by a bomb, he Is not going to risk his title and his first loss in 10 years because people are pressuring him into fighting with an Injury. Any damage to your rib is serious in fighting terms as It affects even the slightest of movements. I respect his decision to pull out even tho It Is extremely frustrating.

I think Mendes vs McGregor is a fine replacement. Will be a very exciting fight and can go either way, only 5 days to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

The X-Ray was released on twitter which confirmed he had fractured his rib. Aldo could not fight even if he wanted to with all the will in the world. Very unprofessional of Dana to criticise him given the injury is legitimate although he may have a point regarding heavy training.

End of. Aldo out. Time to talk about Mendes McGregor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Mention of Aldo and/or his rib in this thread should result in a ban! Who gives a rats about the little Brazilian anymore! He's gonzo, forget about him and focus on the event!

It's taken a bit of time (and the tempo of the embedded series isn't helping) to build some hype for Mcgregor V Mendes but now it's so close i cannot wait! i think its going to be a serious scrap with both lads coming in to it with knockout power! I fully expect to see two swollen faces at the end of the night!

• Advertisement

simmer down , relax

People with that sort of know it all attitude really annoy me.....it's a discussion board after all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Stupid question, but what's the point in the fighters having to make 145 for the weigh in but for the fight they could be back to 160 or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

People with that sort of know it all attitude really annoy me.....it's a discussion board after all...

Mod: Let's just drop it and not derail the thread any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Then discuss, don't go off on a mad one cursing and insulting people, be the bigger man etc.
    JustTheOne wrote: »
    Stupid question, but what's the point in the fighters having to make 145 for the weigh in but for the fight they could be back to 160 or whatever?

I guess because If there were no limitations It would be very unfair? I'm not so sure about people putting on 15-20 pounds in one day tho, admittedly I'm not an expert on making weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Then discuss, don't go off on a mad one cursing and insulting people, be the bigger man etc.

I guess because If there were no limitations It would be very unfair? I'm not so sure about people putting on 15-20pounds in one day tho, admittedly I'm not an expert on making weight.

Suppose so yeah

When conor makes weight he looks skinny and skeletal like but on fight day he is well bulked up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Because the bigger you are relative to the division gives you an advantage, so fighters generally push the boundaries to fight at the lowest weight possible. After the weigh in, fighters eat as much as they can in an effort to gain weight to give them a siza and strength advantage. Tough one to explain :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

If they both weigh the same without water most will likely weigh in and around the same with water. It just ensures the fighters are on an equal footing and how theu organize the divisions.

Some of the cuts look dodgy though and I don't think yoyo'ing like that is good for you in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'm a small bit worried about Connor's cut though. The only time he made 145 was against Siver and he looked like a crack addict. I definitely think a massive cut like his has negative effect on your aerobic ability. Since he has never actually had a 5 round fight and the majority are over by 2 or 3 I'm slightly worried that he might gas in the 4th or 5th if it goes the distance. I know for sure that Mendes has plenty of gas in the tank. Think Connor might work the body a bit to try and tire him out early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Well he made 145 against siver he didn't have to. Weighting in a 146 is surely smarter when its not a title fight. Weird you are using it against him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

In addition, it's not very safe to take strikes to the head, or engage in intense sporting activity, while severely dehydrated. Makes sense on that basis to allow guys to allow 24 hours to re-hydrate following weigh in.

Cutting weight is very much a double edged sword. The bigger the cut, the greater the strength/size advantage on fight night over your opponent in theory. However, the bigger the cut, the greater the stress on the body and the greater the recovery required. McGregor seems to get it about right from what I've seen of him. He looks very thin and somewhat gaunt on weight in day but looks healthy on fight night and never seems to gas early during the fight.

Am I right in saying that difficulty with the cut is part of the reason why Poirier moved up a division?

Advertisement