Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Part 1 seemes to be the Undercard, I'm guessing pt.2 will be main card and Conor will get his own episode in pt.3

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Beersmith wrote: »
    Well he made 145 against siver he didn't have to. Weighting in a 146 is surely smarter when its not a title fight. Weird you are using it against him!

No I wasn't, I'm just saying the stress it puts the body under. Even an extra pound of water. He looks skinny enough at 146, at 145 he was unrecognizable. I'm just curious to see how he lasts if it goes the distance.

Mendes cut is less drastic, I'd imagine he only cuts between 7 or 8 pounds.

Big weight cuts are double edge swords IMO. You have more strength and power but it can hamper your cardio and makes you more prone to injuries.

Good article on it

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/2/15/1311633/the-negative-health-effects-of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

the weight cut has been a part of combat sports ever since there have weight classes.

If you get it right it can be a huge advantage. If you ever watch Tito Ortiz fight, he was someone who got his weight cutting down really well. He often looked one or two weight classes above the guy he was fighting and made the most out of his strength and size advantage.

If you don't get it right, it does effect your strength, and endurance.

So there is always a cost to benefit approach. How much you can effectively cut to give you a size advantage but not mess your stamina. Its so common place that most of the time its just to level the playing field as opposed to really getting much of a size advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

the weight cut has been a part of combat sports ever since there have weight classes.

If you get it right it can be a huge advantage. If you ever watch Tito Ortiz fight, he was someone who got his weight cutting down really well. He often looked one or two weight classes above the guy he was fighting and made the most out of his strength and size advantage.

If you don't get it right, it does effect your strength, and endurance.

So there is always a cost to benefit approach. How much you can effectively cut to give you a size advantage but not mess your stamina. Its so common place that most of the time its just to level the playing field as opposed to really getting much of a size advantage.

That must really factor into guys when they get older. Making It more difficult to cut weight and stay strong and fit cardio wise.

That must really factor into guys when they get older. Making It more difficult to cut weight and stay strong and fit cardio wise.

If your smart you cut less as you get older.

Guys like Faber and Edgar don't cut much at all and would almost walk around at fighting weights.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »

Guys like Faber and Edgar don't cut much at all and would almost walk around at fighting weights.

That makes sense also. Faber looks far from fighting weight atm tho :pac:

That makes sense also. Faber looks far from fighting weight atm tho :pac:

I meant during camp :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

That must really factor into guys when they get older. Making It more difficult to cut weight and stay strong and fit cardio wise

Most definitely. Generally the older we get the bigger we get, normally as fighters get older they move up weight classes.

Conor has put on more muscle than he had a couple of years ago. So its is probably harder for him to make 145 now than it was 3 years ago.

By all accounts he will move up to 155 shortly.

Most definitely. Generally the older we get the bigger we get, normally as fighters get older they move up weight classes.

Conor has put on more muscle than he had a couple of years ago. So its is probably harder for him to make 145 now than it was 3 years ago.

By all accounts he will move up to 155 shortly.

Hopefully he gets a shot at Edgar and Aldo before he makes the move. So much riding on the result of this fight on Saturday regarding both guys future IMO.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

UFC Fact: Heading into UFC 189, Conor McGregor has the highest knockdown rate among any active fighter with 2.08 every 15 minutes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Lukker- wrote: »

Seemingly most of the time frankie was at 155 he was fighting his natural weight and wasnt cutting atal, definitely did it when he was champion anyway...machida did it aswel when he was at 205, it definitely takes it out of guys though look at the difference between rumble at 205 and 170...two different animals!

Any sign of todays embedded?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Depp wrote: »
    Seemingly most of the time frankie was at 155 he was fighting his natural weight and wasnt cutting atal, definitely did it when he was champion anyway...machida did it aswel when he was at 205, it definitely takes it out of guys though look at the difference between rumble at 205 and 170...two different animals!

Any sign of todays embedded?

Sure rumble was hardly ever at 170. His Wikipedia page should say "Fights at Light Heavyweight and Catchweight."
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

to get ya all in the mood, fcuk i'm so excited for this fight now, i've been watching MMA for years, UFC since around UFC 30, and i have NEVER been this excited/nervous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

scudzilla wrote: »
    to get ya all in the mood, fcuk i'm so excited for this fight now, i've been watching MMA for years, UFC since around UFC 30, and i have NEVER been this excited/nervous

You just focus on scaring people with a "the fights over already, Conor lost" post for 1am Saturday. Similar to your Pendred one at 188.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

You just focus on scaring people with a "the fights over already, Conor lost" post for 1am Saturday. Similar to your Pendred one at 188.

yeah, but that was funny, surely people wouldn't fall for it again...would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Is this event sold out? going by ufc website seats still available

• Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Sure rumble was hardly ever at 170. His Wikipedia page should say "Fights at Light Heavyweight and Catchweight."
    :D

After his fight with Belfort, his wiki page had him at "Rumbleweight"

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ibrahimovic

for the sad ****s like myself who can't get enough interviews of Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

dave1982 wrote: »
    Is this event sold out? going by ufc website seats still available

Only the very expensive seats remain as far as I know. All the "cheap" ones are gone months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The handful of available seats have now been changed to "premium" or something, and trebled in price.

Thieving buggers.

• Advertisement

Notorious Extended preview

Embedded episode 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Aldo Mendes on setanta now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Awh man that whole scene on the boat was cringey as ****, sitting around talking about Conor, a real Americanized jock thing youd see in an American Pie film.

ASOT wrote: »
    Awh man that whole scene on the boat was cringey as ****, sitting around talking about Conor, a real Americanized jock thing youd see in an American Pie film.

Lols, american pie. Yeah I thought the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

ASOT wrote: »

What do you expect from a bunch of lads who need to reassure themselves of their manliness by calling themselves Team Alpha Male! I do think Chad Mendes comes across as a good dude though. Faber is really irritating, stereotypical American "bro".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Faber is a tosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

What do you expect from a bunch of lads who need to reassure themselves of their manliness by calling themselves Team Alpha Male! I do think Chad Mendes comes across as a good dude though. Faber is really irritating, stereotypical American "bro".

Love Chad but the rest of them are morons., bar maybe TJ who seems cool.
    JustTheOne wrote: »
    Faber is a tosser.

If this was 2/3 years ago i would disagree but the chap just keeps going down in my books everytime he opens his mouth, seems like a real jackass these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Watching that Embedded, them Team Alphamale guys are nothing more than middle aged jocks, cringeworthy to watch them all together. Chad actually comes across as the least hateable of a very hateable bunch. The GF's are the dolly bird equivalent....... Team Dude Bro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jamok

Lads, If any of you have tickets and want a refund you can get it due to the main event changing. You have to go through ticketmaster in the usa but I just confirmed via the UFC that its possible.

Will report back and let you know how tricky it is.

Advertisement