Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Dunne - 2017 British Masters Champion!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Not too shabby a round anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

-4 under for the back 9
    That's some good quality golf
    It's a decent field with a few Ryder cup players in it and a decent purse.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

flying it again today. -6 through 15 for -12 in total and outright lead by 2

Oh yea, I heard the course is in an absolute jock

Seve OB wrote: »

It's a public course that can be played for €40

He's now -7 for the day an -13 overall
    That's some impressive shooting

• Advertisement

They only got 8 weeks notice to host the tournament. it's a public course.

Exactly wrote: »

They only got 8 weeks notice to host the tournament. it's a public course.

How did that happen? Is the Spanish Open heading the way the Irish Open did?

apparently the players have been asked to not comment publically about the state it's in. ive not seen any tv coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Mushy wrote:

Well it didn't take place last year so it got a lot worse than the Irish open ever got

Mushy wrote:

Well it didn't take place last year so it got a lot worse than the Irish open ever got

That's unfortunate, you would imagine it'd be a highly spot for the event.

On a joke side, is Dunne playing well cos he's used to Greystones :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

What do you guys think? Is Dunne a better overall player than Harrington and Lowry were at the same age and how good can he get in the future?

What do you guys think? Is Dunne a better overall player than Harrington and Lowry were at the same age and how good can he get in the future?

Harrington... I don't think so.
    Lowry... possibly

Different routes to market though for all of them so it is really hard to tell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Panrich

Very difficult to compare but PH came to the tour and was immediately consistently competitive and vying for rookie honours with Westwood and Bjorn if I recall correctly.

Although Paul has done well, he is more of a slow burner (a bit like Lowry).

Panrich wrote: »
    Very difficult to compare but PH came to the tour and was immediately consistently competitive and vying for rookie honours with Westwood and Bjorn if I recall correctly.

Although Paul has done well, he is more of a slow burner (a bit like Lowry).

all 3 are pretty different players i'd think?
    Harrington is the role model of consistent hard work paying off

i reckon Dunne will be very successful in his carer
    not sure about a major win as the top 10 guys over the next decade will be hard to beat but Fatrick showed it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

woodyg wrote: »
    all 3 are pretty different players i'd think?
    Harrington is the role model of consistent hard work paying off

i reckon Dunne will be very successful in his carer
    not sure about a major win as the top 10 guys over the next decade will be hard to beat but Fatrick showed it can be done.

Seriously?? What are you, 11?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Dunne is only 25. Great start to his career doing so well in the US and qualifying for the open twice as an amateur. The way he won last season after the play off loss earlier in the season showed a great strength.

He could do very well, hope he avoids the trap of playing too much in America and stays on European Tour to be in the mix for winning. Has passed out Lowry already in World Rankings while playing tbe tour. He has plenty of time to head around the US for the bigger pay cheque chances later on (25 yo, amazing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

DM_7 wrote: »

He could do very well, hope he avoids the trap of playing too much in America and stays on European Tour to be in the mix for winning. Has passed out Lowry already in World Rankings while playing tbe tour. He has plenty of time to head around the US for the bigger pay cheque chances later on (25 yo, amazing).

Having had a pretty decent college career in states I wouldn’t be concerned if he went over. He has shown good form on all sorts of courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 diegocosta99

Mushy wrote: »
    On a joke side, is Dunne playing well cos he's used to Greystones :pac:

You won't find a weed in Greystones.

The thing about Paul is he has improved every single year for the past 10 years. If that continues this season he will be a top 50 player. If it continues next season he will contend in majors. If he sorts out his driving, and the signs are good, he has a world class short game and an exceptionally good mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

Paul Dunne is still leading the Spanish Open with 7 holes remaining. But boy he is one slow player. They are saying on tv while on the 11th hole that he and Spaniard Nacho Elvira are a hole and a half behind the group ahead. Elvira doesn't seem to be the quickest either. The referee is putting pressure on both players to get a move on via Sky Sports commentary team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Paul Dunne is still leading the Spanish Open with 7 holes remaining. But boy he is one slow player. They are saying on tv while on the 11th hole that he and Spaniard Nacho Elvira are a hole and a half behind the group ahead. Elvira doesn't seem to be the quickest either. The referee is putting pressure on both players to get a move on via Sky Sports commentary team.

Dunne also not driving too well which is taking up more time but he's scrambling well. No dropped shot yet today with his putting saving him a couple of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭dball

in the water on par 3
    might be taking his shoes and socks off

dball wrote: »
    in the water on par 3
    might be taking his shoes and socks off

No surprise. He has been awful off the tee today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So close to an eagle on the last

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Good response to the bogey on 17. Kind of happy to see his playing partner birdie the last too so he won’t be out with Rahm tomorrow.

he's shot in the 60's every round so far.
    today wasn't a good day iron wise but showed some good head strength on 18th.
    would be a seriously impressive win if he does it tomorrow and goes wire to wire.
    his ryder cup chances would get a big boost

Probably needs to shoot -4 at least today to take it.
    If he avoids the drop shots alarm 17th yesterday he will be in great shape
    There's a chance someone could shoot -7 as there has been some very low rounds all tournament

There's a chance someone could shoot -7 as there has been some very low rounds all tournament

I think Rahm could go low today which wouldn't be any great surprise. If Dunne could make a couple of early birdies to settle him down that would make him hard to beat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Watched a good bit of him the last few days, my word his warm up for every shot is brutal, counted 9 practice swings for an approach shot yesterday, way to slow pace of play

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Coetzee shot a 63(9 under) to finish -16 so very low scores today likely. Rahm birdied the first and second and already level. It will be hard to stop him with home support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

slave1 wrote: »
    Watched a good bit of him the last few days, my word his warm up for every shot is brutal, counted 9 practice swings for an approach shot yesterday, way to slow pace of play

Followed him at the Irish Open last year ad have to say he is painfully slow at times. Ironically we actually ended up walking one hole with Rahm's other half and she was giving out stink about him (Rahm was in the group behind). Short game is amazing though.

Advertisement