Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Dunne - 2017 British Masters Champion!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Dr Devious wrote: »
    I was in Milan at the weekend and got the free shuttle and entry to the Italian open on Sunday. I followed Paul Dunne for 3 holes and because I couldn’t take anymore of him. Jaysus Christ he's feckin sooooooo slooooooooow. The most basic shot has to have the whole drawn out routine. Lorenzo Vera was obviously sick of him early and you could see it in his demeanor. Dunne may be a good up and coming golfer but he’d bore you to death watching him in the flesh, I’d say the other pros dread been put along side him in tournaments.

He is desperate - but when you have a million in the bank

Do you care much ?

Up to Pro Tours to rout it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Up to Pro Tours to rout it out.

Yep; penalty strokes are the only remedy. Dunne is an embarassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommypepper

I was in Milan at the weekend and got the free shuttle and entry to the Italian open on Sunday. I followed Paul Dunne for 3 holes and because I couldn’t take anymore of him. Jaysus Christ he's feckin sooooooo slooooooooow. The most basic shot has to have the whole drawn out routine. Lorenzo Vera was obviously sick of him early and you could see it in his demeanor. Dunne may be a good up and coming golfer but he’d bore you to death watching him in the flesh, I’d say the other pros dread been put along side him in tournaments.

This wouldn't have been tolerated in the past. Fellow pros would have policed this out of the game. Unfortunately we have the bizzare situation where the players who play at a reasonable pace are having to slow themselves down.

Fast play is being rooted out lads!!!!

Everyone at home begins to think, oh i'd be off single figures if i just slowed down

• Registered Users Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

agree, he is painfully slow.

but I will ask you this Dr Devious. Was Dunners group keeping pace with the group in front of them?

I'm not trying to find excuses for him, he does appear to be brutal slow, but if he is only going to be waiting on the next shot anyway, then the problem is not with him, but the group in front etc etc.

I don't mind someone taking their time over a shot as long as they keep pace with the guys in front of them. you can't do more than that.

penalties should be handed out where you start loosing holes etc. we all loose a bit of ground here and there looking for balls etc, but if that happens, you generally get the skates on and move fast to catch up, or alternatively call the group behind through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Seve,

How could anything ever change if everyone just says "well I am keeping up with the guys in front". That is a ridiculous way to look at it.

You need to put pressure on the lads in front and then tell them if they are slow. Only way to change anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Having a look at Padraig in Spain, he ain't exactly quick, taking a loooong time lining up his shots

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

slave1 wrote: »
    Having a look at Padraig in Spain, he ain't exactly quick, taking a loooong time lining up his shots

Not everyone has to contend with all the swing thoughts going through Padraigs brain in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr Devious

There was a ten minute between slots so Dunnes group wasn't right behind the group in front in the time I was there and it possibly wasn't long enough for the folling group to make much inroads on Dunnes group. I really couldn't take anymore of him after 3 holes, he's methodical in the extreme allied to a sour, surly serious head on him. He may have appeared worse because Lorenzo Vera is a fairly quick player and the contrast to the 2 of them was quite obvious. We all play with a slow one at home from time to time and I personally make a mental note to avoid the bastard in the future. Watched several more in Milan, Rahm, Molinari, Jimenez, Garcia, Colsaerts, Fleetwood and umpteen more(enough name dropping) and none of them struck me as slow as Paul Dunne.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Dunno, I think this is a bit harsh. Watched him over the last few holes at the B Masters, with everything at stake, and didn't strike me as any worse than the others. Also fairly generous and informative with the media.

As for having a 'surly serious head', maybe that's why he's a top 100 golfer and not a moaning boardsie :rolleyes:

Dunno, I think this is a bit harsh. Watched him over the last few holes at the B Masters, with everything at stake, and didn't strike me as any worse than the others. Also fairly generous and informative with the media.

As for having a 'surly serious head', maybe that's why he's a top 100 golfer and not a moaning boardsie :rolleyes:

When you say you watched him at the British masters, do you mean on the Telly or in the flesh? On the tv the director only goes to the golfer when he’s about to pull the trigger, watching golf on the tv is a far cry from being there, it’s not as seamless as it appears. No one is questioning his generosity with the media.

• Advertisement

When you say you watched him at the British masters, do you mean on the Telly or in the flesh? On the tv the director only goes to the golfer when he’s about to pull the trigger, watching golf on the tv is a far cry from being there, it’s not as seamless as it appears. No one is questioning his generosity with the media.
    If that's the case then how do we know that the likes of JDay or Furyk, or even Paddy, is slow? Most of that is based on TV pictures also. Anyway we often get to see the preparatory routines of the leaders in particular. I'm not doubting Dunne is slow, but if a top player takes (reasonable) time to maximise his performance, I'm not going to criticise. It is a professional business after all.

Jason all Day, Pod and I’m not sure about Furyk ARE slow and so is Paul Dunne. There’s loads of professional golfers who can hit a feckin ball in a reasonable amount of time and unfortunately there’s a fair few who can’t. Slow play is the bane of the majority of golfers and a major cause of lots people not bothering with the game any more. It should be discouraged at every opportunity and stamped out where possible. Unfortunately the powers that be just haven’t the balls to do so, except for the time they jumped on a 15 year old kid at the masters a couple of years ago. There isn’t a week in the year that they couldn’t do that but until they grow a pair of balls and start taking shots of players it’ll never change.

I personally enjoy watching the top pros working out all the possibilities. To each his own I suppose.

True, I enjoy watching people flogging a dead horse, as you say each to their own��

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Great start to his first WGC event. T6 @ -5, against a very good field

PD.jpg

WTF???

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Seve OB wrote: »
    PD.jpg

WTF???

I know, who wears horizontal stripes these days, shockin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Is he paid by titleist to play their clubs?

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Is he paid by titleist to play throw their clubs?

FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Back on topic. He's having a mare this morning. +7 going up 18th. Hopefully he'll have learned something from this experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

dunners -5 after 14.
    lead is -7

with two par 5's to play

fearruanua wrote: »
    dunners -5 after 14.
    lead is -7

with two par 5's to play

this is the week you want a good one. he probably neds a top 5 or so to make it into the top 10 for the year to get a few extra quid in the bonus pool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

The Masters will surely be a big goal this week.

AGC wrote: »
    The Masters will surely be a big goal this week.

how does he qualify?
    top 50 in world at year end i assume is all he can aim for here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Seve OB wrote: »
    how does he qualify?
    top 50 in world at year end i assume is all he can aim for here

Yeap top 50 at years end. With the wrap around seasons etc...I think it’s calander year now and not a specific event, could be wrong. A big week would push him very close to top 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,533 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Finished 5under. 2 off the lead and tied for 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

Probably needs a 3rd place maybe 4th depending on others to squeeze a bonus
    Would be about 1/2 mill richer coming home

Prize for top 20
    All usd$

1 1,333,300
    2 888,900
    3 520,000
    4 400,000
    5 320,000
    6 260,200
    7 232,000
    8 216,000
    9 200,000
    10 184,000
    11 168,000
    12 160,000
    13 152,000
    14 144,000
    15 136,000
    16 128,000
    17 120,000
    18 112,000
    19 104,000
    20 96,000

Bonus fund
    1. $1,250,000
    2. $750,000
    3. $600,000
    4. $500,000
    5. $400,000
    6. $350,000
    7. $325,000
    8. $300,000
    9. $275,000
    10. $250,000

Make a lovely Xmas present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Brilliant eagle on 18 to save his round tbh. He was level for the day before 18. Not many level or worse for the day

now only 3 back going into the weekend. great position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

Hard to see where a 7 could come from on the second. Shame as he was set up nicely for a good finish but needed to keep pace with all the birdies going in.

Advertisement