Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Dunne - 2017 British Masters Champion!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr Devious

He needs to slow down and steady himself, no need for rat a tat golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

He cant get any slower. If anything if he speeds up a bit he might have less thoughts

Halfprice wrote: »
    He cant get any slower. If anything if he speeds up a bit he might have less thoughts
    Ever heard of sarcasm?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Meant to post this a couple of weeks ago and surprised nobody has gotten there before me.

Dunner has been selected to play for Europe inthe EurAsia cup 2018. Another one off the bucket list, great achievement and some nice practice ahead to the big one next September
    Congratulations to Paul Dunne on being selected for Team Europe in the 2018 EurAsia Cup. Europe will be led by Ryder Cup captain Thomas Bjorn with the match taking place in January (12-14) at Glenmarie Country Club in Malaysia. This marks another fine achievement for Paul following a stunning season and his debut win at the British Masters. It is hard to think of any team he hasn’t been selected for (once eligible) right through from his amateur days. From Ireland to Palmer Cup to Walker Cup and to now the EurAsia Cup. Another fantastic achievement!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭paulos53

Seve OB wrote: »
    Meant to post this a couple of weeks ago and surprised nobody has gotten there before me.

Dunner has been selected to play for Europe inthe EurAsia cup 2018. Another one off the bucket list, great achievement and some nice practice ahead to the big one next September

Paired with Alex Noren versus Hideto Tanihara & Phachara Khongwatmai in the Fourballs tomorrow.

I hadn't heard of Khongwatmai before but he is only 18 years old and finished 2nd behind Justin Rose a few weeks ago in the Indonesian Masters.

Tanihara reached the semi-finals of the WGC matchplay last year. He also played in the Irish Open and finished 10th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

paulos53 wrote: »
    Paired with Alex Noren versus Hideto Tanihara & Phachara Khongwatmai in the Fourballs tomorrow.

I hadn't heard of Khongwatmai before but he is only 18 years old and finished 2nd behind Justin Rose a few weeks ago in the Indonesian Masters.

Tanihara reached the semi-finals of the WGC matchplay last year. He also played in the Irish Open and finished 10th

Unfortunately didn't have a great Eurasia Cup losing Fourball by 2 holes, Foursomes by 2&1 and Singles by 3&1.

Europe were trailing 5.5/6.5 going into the last day but won 8 of the 12 singles and halved one to win overall 14/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

0 points was fairly bad alright. As I mentioned in the other thread, does help his Ryder Cup hopes. Will have to qualify on his own merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

HighLine wrote: »
    0 points was fairly bad alright. As I mentioned in the other thread, does help his Ryder Cup hopes. Will have to qualify on his own merit.
    He always did. Rookies only get picked if they are shooting the lights out at the right time.

The 3 losses will probably hurt him even if he does qualify for the team. If this week impacts Bjorn's opinion of him then he might restrict him to only 1 appearance in the 4balls and 4somes.

Still a good week for the bank balance. I believe $300k was the winners cut which would be the 3rd biggest payday of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

paulos53 wrote: »
    The 3 losses will probably hurt him even if he does qualify for the team. If this week impacts Bjorn's opinion of him then he might restrict him to only 1 appearance in the 4balls and 4somes.

Still a good week for the bank balance. I believe $300k was the winners cut which would be the 3rd biggest payday of his career.

nice one. i didnt think they got prize money for any of those team events

• Advertisement

As far as I know there is no prize money for the Ryder Cup or Presidents Cup.
    I guess none of the stars would turn up to the EurAsia cup without a payday

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭golfer79

Without having watched it, it is hard for me to know how well or badly he played. Surely it could be argued Bjorn had him paired with the wrong man in Noren. They certainly pulled no trees up and maybe it was Dunne was the weak link. He was drawn against Hao Tong Li in the singles. That kid is no slouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

He only came in on 1 hole with a par in the four balls and it went all the way to 18. They were 8 under and lost 2 down.
    4 under in the foursomes and lost 2&1
    Level par in the singles and lost 3&1.

Tough week but hopefully a good experience for him

I think Bjorn put him last in the singles just in case he held up the whole field if he was out earlier :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Good start by Dunne in Abu Dhabi. Tied 8th on -4. Leader is -6

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

watched a lot of the coverage today. seen dunne once and poulter about 25 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

watched a lot of the coverage today. seen dunne once and poulter about 25 times.

Probably equated to the same air time though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Putting a nice run (or is it considered a walk at his pace) together today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

Has played 51 holes so far. 14 birdies and one bogey. Brilliant playing from the pride of Greystones. That despite hitting only 9 out of 28 fairways in the first 2 rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

European tour twitter just posted a snap of where his ball ended up in one of the bunkers.

Probably one of the worst I’ve ever seen!

• Advertisement

AGC wrote: »
    European tour twitter just posted a snap of where his ball ended up in one of the bunkers.

Made Bogey. Might need to birdie 18 to make the cut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

-4 will be fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Crikey that was nasty.

-4 will be fine.

T-52 with a lot of the field still early in their round. I wouldn't be so sure. Will be touch and go.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Crikey that was nasty.
    How do you even hit that?

prawnsambo wrote: »
    How do you even hit that?

I'd imagine he took a penalty drop? Can't see any other option :eek:

According to Dunne himself on twitter, the fried egg lie was on the 10th hole, the par 5, his 1st hole of the day as he was starting on the other side of the golf course.

He took 6, a bogey and that along with 3 further bogeys and just 2 birdies (74 today, 4 under total) means a rare weekend off looks likely for the Greystones man. Shame. It appears that his next stop after Dubai is Pebble Beach for the AT&T Pro-Am in 2 weeks on the PGA Tour, where he has received an invite for the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Good to see Paul Dunne receive a tournament invite into the PGA Tour's Corales Puntacana Resort & Club Championship, which starts next Thursday. If he finishes top 10 there, he will qualify for the following week's Shell Houston Open. That tournament is the last chance saloon for those looking to qualify for the Masters tournament who haven't already. Best of luck to the Greystones man!

• Advertisement

Good to see Paul Dunne receive a tournament invite into the PGA Tour's Corales Puntacana Resort & Club Championship, which starts next Thursday. If he finishes top 10 there, he will qualify for the following week's Shell Houston Open. That tournament is the last chance saloon for those looking to qualify for the Masters tournament who haven't already. Best of luck to the Greystones man!

Very impressive start for Dunne in the Dominican Republic. 3 birdies in his first 4 holes and he is -3, just one of the lead. Great stuff!

Advertisement