Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Dunne - 2017 British Masters Champion!!!

Options
1444546474850»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Back to back 7s in a final round 76. Finished 58th out of 60 qualifiers for a cheque of €923. Sad to see, a long way back from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭dublin49

It takes some resilience to attempt what he is trying,much harder than it would be for a young newbie on an upward trajectory.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Trampas

On the timesheet for us open qualifier tomorrow. Probably qualify going what can happen in these things

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭paulos53

I don't think there will be a US Open spot for Dunne but Tom McKibbin is in with a chance.

He is tied 7th on -4 after 12 of the 36 holes. There are 7 spots on offer as well as 2 alternates

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Dunne retired after 12 holes of his second round. McKibben was co-leader with Ross Fisher on -7 after his (Dunne's) first round but has fallen back, is now -6 and T11 after 14 holes. Two birdies in his final four holes would put him in a play-off.

Seven playing slots plus two alternates on offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

McKibbin (right spelling this time) was just outside the top 7 but himself and another lad took the two alternate slots after a four-way playoff.

2 under par 70 for Paul in the first round of the Challenge Tour in Denmark. Missed the cut by a shot last week so hopefully gets through tomorrow.

Made the cut but fell back. He’s a bit like manassero. Career going well and then a bit of bad luck and injury and career goes south and fighting back now

Decided not to tee it up on European tour but challenge tour this week. Interesting decision

I suppose if you are struggling in div 2 hardly much point trying to play in Div 1.

• Advertisement

+4 and 129 i guess he probably wished he changed his mind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

Is there any evidence at all to suggest that Paul ,worthy and gallant though he be, is anything other than a beaten docket on the Pro tour ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Motivator

I came across a video of the final round of the open a few weeks ago. I watched his first two holes. I remember thinking at the time that he didn’t look a natural player, he looked over coached with that nonsense slow set up he had. The problem is if you’re over coached as it is, when you hit rocky ground then I would think the first thing you do is get more coaching. Going back to basics is probably not an option.

Sad and all as it is to say, he’s totally unwatchable at a live event. Obviously I’d love to see him doing well, I just wouldn’t want to watch him doing it.

Fourth missed cut in a row on the Challenge Tour and seventh from nine events this year. 2 double bogeys and 1 triple, keeps throwing in the high numbers. Manassero the halfway leader, he's on the way back after a few bad years. Might give Paul some hope but he's miles off at the moment.

not many come back from such a long and extensive fall down the rankings.Duval,M Campbell or Nick Dougherty would not give you much hope but you have to admire his perseverence.You see these guys struggling away for years like Gary Hurley or John Murphy and its a different world from the Harrington,Lowry reality.To be travelling around the world ,spending your own money and being 20 shots behind the leader and missing cut and to keep going takes some mental toughness.I suppose the Sunken cost phenomenon comes into play here.,

Just reading on twitter than John Murphy is withdrawing for next while to re focus ,its definitely tough down there and Paul Dunne is way below him on the ladder currently.

Post edited by dublin49 on

Doesn’t appear he’s getting an invite next week

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭gaa goes

He hasn't played any event since the Irish Challenge in late July. Injury related? Mark Power could make his pro debut in the K Club next week. While Alex Maguire and Matthew McClean are the likely amateur invites.

John Murphy, Conor Purcell, Jonathan Caldwell and Tom Hoge invites, 2 more to follow

Paul Dunne competing in DP World Tour Q School second stage qualifier in Albacete, Spain this week. He just completed his delayed first round with a very respectful one over par round of 72. Currently in a tied for 7th

• Advertisement

He ended up in T18 once everybody had completed the first round. The top 23 make the final stage so he is right on the cutline.

I count 12 Irish playing across the 4 venues and 7 of them are inside the cutline after the first round.

Dunne shot -1 in his delayed second round to move up to T10th. High winds has led to delays in most of the venues.

Dermot McElroy, Conor O'Rourke, Alex Maguire & Mark Power are also in qualifying positions after 2 rounds.

Paul tied 21st with the delayed final round taking place tomorrow, right on the cut off mark

Cannot underestimate the significance of tomorrow's final round for Paul Dunne and his quest to get back playing on the DP World Tour. I really hope that he does the business tomorrow as if he doesn't finish inside the top 23 come end of play tomorrow then Paul will have no status on the Challenge tour, let alone the DP World Tour for the 2024 season. Best of luck to him.

Two bogeys in his last 2 holes proving very costly for Paul Dunne at the final round of the DPWT Q School second stage qualifier in Albacete. Level for the day and 2 over for the championship. Currently outside the 30, with the top 23 players qualifying for the final stage of q school which gets underway this Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

So the Alps tour etc. It will be plus some limited challenge tour spots. (If he decides to even continue as a touring pro). Big fall from grace

Missed a play off by three shots. Hasn't played since the Irish Challenge at the end of July, hard to know where he goes from here. Was top 70 in the world five years ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Every time I see this thread with posts in it I hope it's good news but that last day of Q scoring must be delivering a message, whether that message is being read is the issue. Sad to see

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement