Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Dunne - 2017 British Masters Champion!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 diegocosta99

On last year's Race to Dubai rankings there were 27 Swedes, 21 French, 11 Germans, 11 Italians, and 10 Danes. Ireland had 9 players.

In 1980 there was 1 Swede, No French, 1 German, 3 Italians and 1 Dane. Ireland had 10 players.

I think we're being passed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 And he is.

Next target is to get into the top 60 to get an exemption for the US Open. Can do this by May 21st or June 11th. Otherwise he's looking at qualifying at Walton Heath on June 4th.

Lowry and himself are exempt for the British Open through their top 30 finishes in the 2017 Road to Dubai.

If Dunne plays well this week in Morocco and China in their national open next week then who knows what could happen. I think he is the guy they all have to beat in the Trophee Hassan II. The course is 7,615 yards long but it is a par 73 with 5 par 5's in the layout. Tough course but Dunne played exceptionally well in 2017, only missing out on a win in a play-off against Eduardo Molinari.

He could sneak a top 50 world ranking by the time the Players Championship comes around. That will be a big help in relation to gaining a PGA Tour card for next season, as he is nicely positioned to getting enough non-member Fed Ex Cup points, for the pride of Greystones to receive unlimited tournament invites for the remainder of this season.

He is set to play the next 3 weeks which will also include the Golfsixes event on the May bank holiday weekend in England where he will team up with Gavin Moynihan to represent team Ireland in the 2 day golf jamboree.

Things in general are looking very good for Dunne. 3 Top 10 finishes in a row in his last 3 starts has put him in a very strong position for not only a top 50 world ranking. But with him lurking in 7th place in the European points list in relation to the Ryder Cup standings (top 4 qualify for the Europe Ryder Cup team in both European and World Points lists each) added with the strong possibility of a PGA Tour card for next season, then life is very good indeed for the impressively talented Wicklow man at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

On last year's Race to Dubai rankings there were 27 Swedes, 21 French, 11 Germans, 11 Italians, and 10 Danes. Ireland had 9 players.

In 1980 there was 1 Swede, No French, 1 German, 3 Italians and 1 Dane. Ireland had 10 players.

I think we're being passed out.

For a country of our size, we're still doing very well :D

Sweden 10 million
    France 67 milllion
    Germany 82 million
    Italy 60 million
    Denmark 5.5 million
    Ireland 5 million

Paul playing with Molinari and Thomas Pieters. Definitely a featured group on Sky. So start painting the room, waiting for the kettle to boil, racing your pet snails, etc, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,714 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Paul was questioned on the slow play last night on game on and gave a fairly honest assessment. Admitted he was slow but gave an insight into his thoughts and processes. Says he's working on speeding up but at the same time said if playing slow helps his game that's what he'll do.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Paul was questioned on the slow play last night on game on and gave a fairly honest assessment. Admitted he was slow but gave an insight into his thoughts and processes. Says he's working on speeding up but at the same time said if playing slow helps his game that's what he'll do.

Thats sad to hear.:(
    He is unbelievably slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Dbu wrote: »
    Tyson Fury wrote: »

Thats sad to hear.:(
    He is unbelievably slow.
    Hit him with two shot penalties. See how that helps his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

You guys ever watch Jason Day or Kevin Na? They don't care either. Penalties is the only way to speed it up

• Registered Users Posts: 13,230 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    You guys ever watch Jason Day or Kevin Na? They don't care either. Penalties is the only way to speed it up
    Jordan Spieth and Jim Furyk also.

I can't avoid the thought that they get away with it because of who they are. I've seen them put on the clock, but nothing ever comes of it.

The majority of the time they wait for 10 minutes on most tees. There is not much incentive for them to speed up.

Maybe we could have a "Paul Dunne is Slow" thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »

I can't avoid the thought that they get away with it because of who they are. I've seen them put on the clock, but nothing ever comes of it.

Furyk used to drive me mad when he looked ready to hit it and then he’d back away from it again. It was part of his routine. I reckon he’s one of those people that has to turn the light switch on and off 16 times before he leaves a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Furyk used to drive me mad when he looked ready to hit it and then he’d back away from it again. It was part of his routine. I reckon he’s one of those people that has to turn the light switch on and off 16 times before he leaves a room.
    Hideki Matsuyama is another one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Russman

prawnsambo wrote: »

Exactly. I get the feeling from some online commentary that the TV only cuts to these guys when they're about to pull the trigger and we get no idea of just how slow and deliberate they really are.

Anyone know if the Tour keep a record of what groups are put on the clock ? or is it just that you're on the clock and when you catch up you're back off it ?

It'd be interesting to see if player x was on the clock in round 2 this week, round 4 last week, round 1 three weeks ago etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,095 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The majority of the time they wait for 10 minutes on most tees.

Gee, I wonder what causes that? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

What the tour should do is post a stat of time per shot. Picking certain holes to establish stat.
    Could be displayed or hidden timing - a bit like the way some speeding points are warned.

I've seen it with most competitive lads - put them in a table and they will respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

What the tour should do is post a stat of time per shot. Picking certain holes to establish stat.
    Could be displayed or hidden timing - a bit like the way some speeding points are warned.

I've seen it with most competitive lads - put them in a table and they will respond.

100% this would be a great way to improve play.
    You are so right about guys responding to a table

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Why do people only discuss how slow players are when its a player they don't like?
    They are all bleeding slow for the most part. Tiger was horrendously deliberate and slow about everything. Harrington also but we never here about them?

Slow play is certainly a problem yes. It doesn't bother me really watching it.
    The chat about slow play online or Twitter is infinitely more tedious than the actual slow play!!

kiers47 wrote: »
    Why do people only discuss how slow players are when its a player they don't like?
    They are all bleeding slow for the most part. Tiger was horrendously deliberate and slow about everything. Harrington also but we never here about them?

The chat about slow play online or Twitter is infinitely more tedious than the actual slow play!!

I love Harrington - but he is a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

kiers47 wrote: »

Don't think that is true at all. I'd be a big fan of Paul Dunne but I'm regularly frustrated by his slow play.

And as for Harrington.... you hear a lot about his slow play. Not sure how you haven't heard it?

Just my opinion but slow play annoys the sh*t out of me when I'm watching or playing. I'd love a 20 second shot clock, one warning followed by 1 stroke penalty for each additional time breach system. Probably will never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

If TV companies only go over to players when they are locked and loaded how do we know that they are slow? In todays day and age with multiple cameras on multiple holes does it really bother people? I watched numerous times at the Masters the TV cuts away to other players while they prepare for their shot. Senseless moaning

tbayers wrote: »
    If TV companies only go over to players when they are locked and loaded how do we know that they are slow? In todays day and age with multiple cameras on multiple holes does it really bother people? I watched numerous times at the Masters the TV cuts away to other players while they prepare for their shot. Senseless moaning

It bothers people when their routines drift into the weekend medal - yes is a real issue. Young kids are doing aim point in Irish amateur - kids copy routines of pros.

lads with high(and low) handicaps are doing pro putting routines with 360 walks around the putts.

So yes is an issue. You need top down leadership from the stuff on TV.

tbayers wrote: »

I think its the potential impact it has on younger players watching it.
    Even at club level I've seen a huge increase in the number of players who now have "a routine" they must go through for each shot. Go look at high level inter-club and its a disaster.

Anyway, back to P Dunne, a bit like JB Holmes in the States, as long as there's no appetite to deal with it, its going to stay part of the game and players like PD will continue to take advantage. The whole "I'm playing for a million dollars and I'll take as long as I want" attitude. For whatever reason the powers that be just will not grasp the nettle - they could eradicate it almost overnight if they fired out five or six 1 shot penalties to the field in round 1 of an event.

Is Dunne scheduled to play Austria ?

Russman wrote: »
    I think its the potential impact it has on younger players watching it.
    Even at club level I've seen a huge increase in the number of players who now have "a routine" they must go through for each shot. Go look at high level inter-club and its a disaster.

Anyway, back to P Dunne, a bit like JB Holmes in the States, as long as there's no appetite to deal with it, its going to stay part of the game and players like PD will continue to take advantage. The whole "I'm playing for a million dollars and I'll take as long as I want" attitude. For whatever reason the powers that be just will not grasp the nettle - they could eradicate it almost overnight if they fired out five or six 1 shot penalties to the field in round 1 of an event.

I'd be with you - but changing it overnight would be a disaster for pros who have developed it over years.

They grew up and played by the rules - changing them fast would be very unfair.

I know there is a very valid argument - that they have things in their game now that literally make no difference - but changing them now would not be easy for some.

You could even see top golfers fall by the way side.

I'm softening in old life :D

I'd be with you - but changing it overnight would be a disaster for pros who have developed it over years.

They grew up and played by the rules - changing them fast would be very unfair.

I know there is a very valid argument - that they have things in their game now that literally make no difference - but changing them now would not be easy for some.

You could even see top golfers fall by the way side.

I'm softening in old life :D

Would they though ? I've been to events on the practice days and they don't play like that. I know practice is like playing football with no goalposts, but I'd love to give it a try. I'd bet you'd see them adjust pretty bloody quickly when there's cash on the line. In fairness, I'm really looking forward to Austria to see how it goes - the pessimist in me suspects the local 5 handicapper might get out on spec that week if he has his clubs with him !!:D:D

It was mentioned in commentary last week when discussing slow play (it might have been the week before, not 100% sure) that when a player is rushing to catch a flight or to get finished before play is suspended, they almost always play well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

You’d have to monetise it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

Disastrous start for Paul Dunne in the second round of the Trophee Hassan II in Morocco. He played his first 3 holes today in bogey, bogey and double bogey to fall to +5 (4 over today) to sit currently in a tie for 126th at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

do well to make the cut

• Advertisement

Back to back birdies so battling hard.

Advertisement