Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Discodog wrote: »
    Which chilled ready meals are the best ?

I am surprised that they haven't introduced the Roast Chicken Dinner that's sold in the UK & gets rave reviews.

The nutri quick chilli con carne and taco fries are both very tasty. Low on sugar, salt and fat too unlike the ususal chilled ready meals which are usually very high on sugar and salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anyone know why the pack of kiwis in thegreen label pack is 99 cent while those in the blue label pack is about €1.70? They look the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

YFlyer wrote: »
    Anyone know why the pack of kiwis in thegreen label pack is 99 cent while those in the blue label pack is about €1.70? They look the same.

One organic??

vicwatson wrote: »
    One organic??

I didn't notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

They are sold as ready to eat, but not much difference in my experience. Definitely not worth paying that much. I think they are only four in blue pack, but slightly bigger.

Golden Kiwis are great, always ready to it, but expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Picked up the premixed can of Boyles Gin wiht Elderflower and also the pink version, €1.99 each.

Only tried the Elderflower one but wasn't a fan. Tasted too sweet and a bit flat for me. Two possible reasons, firstly I wouldnt normally drink Elderflower tonic, and secondly maybe its just not possible for the premixed version to be a fizzy.

Probably wouldnt buy again, but I'm not sure if I didn't really like it because of the above and if its just not possible to recreate a good G&T in a can, premuim or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The Aldi basil & parmesan hummus is the best I've ever had, can't get enough of it. Its the stuff dreams are made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Enjoy the cheap alcohol while you can folks cause the govt. are going to try to ram through the minimum unit pricing with retailers predicting rises of on average 37%, not just of 'cheap' alcohol but across the board. €8 will be the cheapest for a bottle of wine and €20 for a bottle of vodka with €1 cans of beer expected to rise to almost €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Muahahaha wrote: »
    retailers predicting rises of on average 37%.
    where did you read this?! sounds like an outrageous claim, but they might have a different definition of average than me, never heard of any such rise in Scotland. There are loads of articles with incorrect calculations, often due to the mixup in the definition of what a unit is (the UK having a different one than us).

The formula for price is

liquid volume (litres) x percentage strength x 0.789 (density of alcohol)

so a can of guinness would be
    0.5 x 4.2 x 0.789 = €1.66

The cheapest wine I see in tesco goes from €3.99 to €6.51, it is 11%, the €8 limit would be for wine at 13.55%

In Scotland many own brand products and cheaper stuff is simply not on the market anymore, this is what would worry me, the disappearance of drinks which I might prefer over known brands. e.g. I would take Aldis cider over bulmers. But 2L of aldi cider is going to rise from €3.79 to €8.36 so I expect sales to plummet. Some of the cheaper vodkas are made from molasses which I prefer over grain based. I am going to buy loads not just as its cheaper but it may disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

rubadub wrote: »
    where did you read this?! sounds like an outrageous claim, but they might have a different definition of average than me, never heard of any such rise in Scotland. There are loads of articles with incorrect calculations, often due to the mixup in the definition of what a unit is (the UK having a different one than us).

It was a stat by a retailers group in the Indo the other day. They said aside from cheaper alcohol getting hit the most that all alcohol will rise in price in what the commentator described as a 'laddering' effect, i.e premium brands will raise their prices to keep a price differential between their brands and cheaper ones. Article also said retailers are expecting a lot of people to go up north if the govt introduces the legislation now rather than waiting for Stormont to reconvene

• Advertisement

Enjoy the cheap alcohol while you can folks cause the govt. are going to try to ram through the minimum unit pricing with retailers predicting rises of on average 37%, not just of 'cheap' alcohol but across the board. €8 will be the cheapest for a bottle of wine and €20 for a bottle of vodka with €1 cans of beer expected to rise to almost €2.

Sure 700 ml of vodka is currently €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

YFlyer wrote: »
    Sure 700 ml of vodka is currently €20.

Own brand spirits in ALDI is a lot less than that... 15e at most except for Irish whiskey which is 19e.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Found the article, it was a 38% price differential between here and the north, not a predicted rise here.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/minimum-pricing-of-drink-will-be-mayhem-unless-north-does-same-warn-retail-groups-38305286.html
    'laddering' effect, i.e premium brands will raise their prices to keep a price differential between their brands and cheaper ones.
    This has been mentioned a lot, but I am not worried. I see no talk of it having happened in Scotland. If the likes of heineken increase the wholesale price hugely then retailers will source from the EU or UK. My supervalu already did this, having stronger scottish market heineken alongside its weaker irish stuff and the scottish stuff was actually cheaper. If heineken try and prevent the likes of tesco doing this then smaller independent offies will do it and absolutely clean up. In scotland small retailers are seeing huge increases in sales as people ditch the supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'll be very interested to see how the government rams this through and what happens in the aftermath. The CCPC and the EU have both said that the measures (no pun intended) are anti-competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'll be very interested to see how the government rams this through and what happens in the aftermath. The CCPC and the EU have both said that the measures (no pun intended) are anti-competitive.

This is how the aftermath should go assuming it goes through.

A concerted and organised campaign to actively boycotted either on certain days of the week, or completely until the legislation is reversed.

Imagine how they would be up in arms if their custom plummeted on Friday or a Saturday night, because people were consciously making decisions to purposely stay out of their premises, and opted instead to go to non vfi associated premises instead, or worse still, stick up on booze from an off-licence and head to house party's.

Pretty much the exact opposite of what they planned might happen.

Watch their health facade disappear within a week or two if that were to happen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod Note: A reminder that this is the Aldi thread, so it would be great if we could get back to that topic.

Beer, Wine & Spirits would be the forum for discussion minimum unit pricing any further :)

Had the lemon pepper spatchcock chicken tonight for dinner - tastes great! Bit small at 1.3kg but loads of flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭maximo31

The Mexican flavour chicken thigh skewers are unreal! Did them on the BBQ last night and they were really juicy and tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Supermarket Alcohol minimum pricing has supposed to be coming in with at least 10 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Supermarket Alcohol minimum pricing has supposed to be coming in with at least 10 years!

A ban on below cost selling has been talked about for years.
    Different thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note:The Beer & Wine & Spirits forum is better suited to a discussion on this subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AhhHere

The French Goats cheese is really nice. In a hard plastic packet. There's plain and herb version. Went for plain as I prefer to add flavours in than have them premixed but it's really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I find their frozen berries very good. I put them in Weetabix (well, wheat bisks if I'm being strictly accurate!) Cheaper than Tesco's own and Aldi packs are bigger too. About half the price of any of the branded fruits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭lassykk

I find their frozen berries very good. I put them in Weetabix (well, wheat bisks if I'm being strictly accurate!) Cheaper than Tesco's own and Aldi packs are bigger too. About half the price of any of the branded fruits.

Are the berries Irish? If not, do you have to boil them first or does anyone actually do that?

I remember that warning about boiling, not sure if this is still required.

I really doubt they use Irish berries. Too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

lassykk wrote: »
    Are the berries Irish? If not, do you have to boil them first or does anyone actually do that?

I've no idea to be honest. It just says 'Specially produced for Aldi Stores Ireland Ltd" and the address in Naas.

I've never boiled them in my life and I'm still here anyway :D

Just checked and the fsai have issued another warning about it last year, so it is ongoing issue going back to 2013 outbreak.

Better safe than sorry I think ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭lassykk

I only wondered as it would be my toddler having them in smoothies that I'd be worried about. I'd take my chances myself. I'll stick to the fresh ones so!

Cheers

wonski wrote: »
    Just checked and the fsai have issued another warning about it last year
    I was asking before if the warnings may feasibly never go away. The stuff is frozen, and could remain that way indefinitely, so there could always theoretically be a risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

AhhHere wrote: »
    The French Goats cheese is really nice. In a hard plastic packet. There's plain and herb version. Went for plain as I prefer to add flavours in than have them premixed but it's really nice.

There is another in a plastic wrapping. It is much easier to open. I find the packaging on those hard plastic ones a pain. You have to use a knife to get them open. It must be very dangerous for elderly people or people with dexterity issues. Some packets of ham are also very difficult to open.

A few new foods I have tried lately and recommend

Bottle of Specially Selected freshly pressed apple juice
    Bottle of Valencian orange juice
    The Bio natural yoghurts with vanilla pod seeds (also in Tesco I think)
    The hummus with parmesan shavings
    Cherry peppers stuffed with ricotta cheese

Do Aldi stock Albarino wine?

Advertisement