Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I used their chicken seasoning to make kale chips this evening and they're bloody delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I found turkey steaks that cook in a plastic bag in the microwave the other day!
    Never seen before.
    These ones had a Thai glaze.
    I was about to oven them (can do in bag also) but I wanted to see what microwave was like as it may be handy for lunches / late dinners in work.

Overall ok if stuck if reckon.
    Not sure if get again though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

Aldi's new store opens up in Ashtown tomorrow, anyone any idea what offers they'll have on?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Arbitrary

If not already mentioned.

• Greek Yogurt
    • Margherita Pizzas are decent, I usually add some herbs and olive oil
    • Olives are very good (small round packs in gree plastic, garlic & chilli and the Greek style
    • Half roast duck with HS sauce is excellent, deboned.
    • Tortillia Chips
    • Loose avacadoes
    • Rocket Salad or mixed leaves
    • Brannans Sausages
    • Their Parma Ham selection is great, all variants
    • Apple Cider Vinegar
    • Ketchup is pretty good
    • Wine can be great, I've found some excellent bottles from the Languedoc region reasonably priced, timing is everything
    • Their jams that look similar to the Bon Maman brand you find in Tesco is very good
    • Mild sliced cheese selection is good for toasties (edam, gouda etc)
    • Almond fingers
    • Brioche Buns
    • Nuts are generally all very good, pecans, nyom.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Aldi's new store opens up in Ashtown tomorrow, anyone any idea what offers they'll have on?

I've seem these in the past year and overall they were disappointing enough.
    Probably a sat nav for around €50/etc.
    There should be a leaflet floating around the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I'm not vegan or even vegetarian, in fact I'd be a little bit like "Hughie" from the Aldi adverts of late, where he salivates over imaginary bits of meat *bit cringe worthy tbh*

However - bought the vegan sausage rolls for the wife, who thoroughly enjoyed them and the youngest lad was caught like a kipper into believing they were the real deal meaty sausage rolls.
    Yep, Ive switched anyway, I like having sausage rolls in the freezer for lazy Saturday and Sunday mornings and these are lovely, surprised how good the pastry is when you dont overdo it.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Debub

Debub wrote: »
    I think I saw a great deal for a big pack of HopHouse13 cans yesterday. Was in a hurry so couldn't get the details, but looked to be a great price

Was 18 x500ml cans for €20

Does anyone know if this is still on? Will go via Aldi then on the way back from work - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Debub wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this is still on? Will go via Aldi then on the way back from work - thanks

Was still running yesterday (Wednesday 26th) in ALDI D3.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Debub

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Was still running yesterday (Wednesday 26th) in ALDI D3.

Thanks - I am about 400 kms from D3 :) but hopefully I will have some in my nearest one in Dunmanway

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Not living too far away from Ashtown but i had no idea they were building one there.
    Whereabouts is it?
    On the Navan Road side of the train or the Royal canal park side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Does anyone know if Aldi sell Fat Controller Grill and Oven Pads all the time, or if they are just a special?

I recommend them anyways.
    Save cleaning the grill.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

inforfun wrote: »
    Not living too far away from Ashtown but i had no idea they were building one there.
    Whereabouts is it?

There's a thread on it in the D15 forum here. Seems to be on Ballyboggan Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Addle wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Aldi sell Fat Controller Grill and Oven Pads all the time, or if they are just a special?

I recommend them anyways.
    Save cleaning the grill.

I've had a sudden image of the man from Thomas the tank engine popping down to his local Aldi for a special that's just for him! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

When I googled it, he was the first return!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

inforfun wrote: »
    Whereabouts is it?

It's in Royal Canal Park when you come in from the Ballyboggan Road side where Romayo's is. Popped in earlier it was very busy as expected. Special offers were nothing to shout about either really.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The Gastro Range gluten free chicken fillets are beautiful IMO.

Cook them for about 30 minutes, turning once throughout, and they'll go nice and crispy. They're the closest thing to a deli/chipper style crispy fillet that you could hope to get IMO.

Despite tasting deli/chipper style, they are also fine in terms of macros for those who like to keep an eye on what they're eating at 235 calories, 9.9g carbs, 11g fat and 25g of protein per fillet.

As a treat, melt some cheese onto them and do the following:

- Get an Aldi broiche bun, firstly add mayo to the bottom bun, then lettuce, then finely chopped onion, then put your fillet on, add ketchup to the top bun and put it together. You have a chipper style chicken fillet burger :)

Similarly, the same brand do gluten free chicken balls and gluten free breaded chicken goujans which are also very good.

I believe the range has won numerous food awards recently.

The beef ragu microwaveable ready meal is a nice quick hot lunch for €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

The beef ragu microwaveable ready meal is a nice quick hot lunch for €3.

I have tried it and found it really poor, but it's personal choice I guess. Used to be better before. Same with Arrabiata.
    The meat was absent and the whole thing tasted of nothing imo.

Just my opinion so I guess the others have to try it themselves.

I think I have tried most of their ready meals (chilled sectione, never tried the frozen ones) and this one was the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

wonski wrote: »
    I have tried it and found it really poor, but it's personal choice I guess. Used to be better before. Same with Arrabiata.
    The meat was absent and the whole thing tasted of nothing imo.

Just my opinion so I guess the others have to try it themselves.

I think I have tried most of their ready meals (chilled sectione, never tried the frozen ones) and this one was the worst.

Which chilled ready meals are the best ?

I am surprised that they haven't introduced the Roast Chicken Dinner that's sold in the UK & gets rave reviews.

They have roast beef, chicken bacon, burger and sausage meals. Chicken masala and jalfrezi, some vegetarian options.

Which is the best? Depends what you like.

Bacon and cabbage and all the Indian range are good imo. Nutriquick Chilli is really good.

They had Arrabiata with chicken and it was nice and spicy, now it's bland and tasteless.

Have tried new chickpea masala sandwiches and they were very bland, too, but liked the turkey option from the same range. Not much of turkey in it, but enough vegetables to make it rich and tasty. Their sandwich range is definitely better value than at petrol stations. Going for lunch close to texaco and McDonald's and still end up with their turkey sandwich even if it takes few minutes to get it.

• Advertisement

I didnt like the old arrabiata as too spicy!
    I will probably like the toned down version...

I didnt like the old arrabiata as too spicy!
    I will probably like the toned down version...

Arrabiata is meant to be spicy. Otherwise it is just penne with tomato sauce.

The Italians would argue there is no need for chicken with it, but at least keep the spicy part in Aldi ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Discodog wrote: »
    Which chilled ready meals are the best ?

I am surprised that they haven't introduced the Roast Chicken Dinner that's sold in the UK & gets rave reviews.
    Is it different to the roast chicken dinner they sell here? Got a link?

Thargor wrote: »

Shelf life is limited so I doubt it'd be the same, but not 100% sure.

They still pretty god when compared to Centra 5 euro meals.

Thargor wrote: »

I don't know. I asked in Aldi & the manager knew about them but said that Ireland weren't getting them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-6231231/Aldi-launched-Yorkshire-pudding-stuffed-entire-roast-dinner.html

I don't know. I asked in Aldi & the manager knew about them but said that Ireland weren't getting them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-6231231/Aldi-launched-Yorkshire-pudding-stuffed-entire-roast-dinner.html

Definitely not available here. Not sure what it is anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Paully D wrote: »
    The Gastro Range gluten free chicken fillets are beautiful IMO.

Cook them for about 30 minutes, turning once throughout, and they'll go nice and crispy. They're the closest thing to a deli/chipper style crispy fillet that you could hope to get IMO.

Despite tasting deli/chipper style, they are also fine in terms of macros for those who like to keep an eye on what they're eating at 235 calories, 9.9g carbs, 11g fat and 25g of protein per fillet.

As a treat, melt some cheese onto them and do the following:

- Get an Aldi broiche bun, firstly add mayo to the bottom bun, then lettuce, then finely chopped onion, then put your fillet on, add ketchup to the top bun and put it together. You have a chipper style chicken fillet burger :)

Similarly, the same brand do gluten free chicken balls and gluten free breaded chicken goujans which are also very good.

I believe the range has won numerous food awards recently.

I have a feeling they might be the Rosie & Jim range rebadged - I think Supervalu and Dublin meat company do them too, and they have similar macros. They seem to have the gluten free chicken fillet/nugget market perfected!

https://rosieandjim.ie/content/chicken-products

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I really like the 99c thins in aldi, makes for a nice sandwich withe the corned beef I got for 89c and some cheese. Pity the local aldi only has a couple of the slimwell meals, I was hoping to try a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Thank god

• Advertisement

Thank god

No worries M&S sell a Beef one :D

Advertisement