Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Had one of the vegan ready made meals in the tub- Brazilian black bean stew and it was delicious! I'm a committed carnivour but this was tasty and filling and did not need meat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Bassfish wrote: »
    Had one of the vegan ready made meals in the tub- Brazilian black bean stew and it was delicious! I'm a committed carnivour but this was tasty and filling and did not need meat!

Couldn't agree more, I pick these up for a handy work lunch sometimes. The Brazilian stew and the Thai curry ones are the business!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Those €2 uncooked prawns 180g are great value at the moment.
    They do one that includes garlic butter and one without.
    Very handy for a prawn stir-fry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Esse85 wrote: »

Would they do one meal?
    Good value if so.

I remember getting a bag of prawns from Tesco a while back, but they shrunk down to nothing when cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Would they do one meal?
    Good value if so.

I remember getting a bag of prawns from Tesco a while back, but they shrunk down to nothing when cooked.

They would. Got 3 packs the other day (cooking for 3 hungry men) and I thought 2 packs between 4 would be a bit miserly.
    They were lovely, but 2 packs would have been enough.
    I made garlic chili prawns with stir fried veg and rice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Esse85 wrote: »

Had them the other night in a pad thai, very nice and at €2 a bargain to boot. Must get some more for freezing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Would they do one meal?
    Good value if so.

More than enough for one dinner yes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Would they do one meal?
    Good value if so.

https://www.hellofresh.co.uk/recipes/search/?q=prawn

**** load of recipes. A pack of 180 grams should give you 2 meals at least based on these recipes.
    I can eat a lot but all of these hellofresh recipes always fill me up when stickign to the quantities described.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

inforfun wrote: »
    https://www.hellofresh.co.uk/recipes/search/?q=prawn

**** load of recipes. A pack of 180 grams should give you 2 meals at least based on these recipes.
    I can eat a lot but all of these hellofresh recipes always fill me up when stickign to the quantities described.

Wow, great website but how do you know how much a "unit" is?

For example this receipe:

https://www.hellofresh.co.uk/recipes/lentil-vegetable-hotpot-5d3190a6d6292e00113ed36b?locale=en-GB

What would be a unit of potato and what would be half a sachet of tomato puree?

Sorry for being OT but this website looks to have some brilliant recipes just not sure how to translate the units

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

That can be a challenge at times as they bring the stuff to your door so a "unit" is most of the times exactly what you find in your box.
    In the past they were more of the "15 ml\75 grms" descriptions

Sachets are 15 ml. That i do know from experience.

If you have more questions, just pm me in order to not go too far off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Not sure if all of you are aware, but bottled water has been recalled due to elevated arsenic levels. Not just Aldi, it is becoming worldwide issue now anyway.

https://www.fsai.ie/news_centre/food_alerts/bottled_water_recall.html

From what I was told you really would have to drink a pallet of water to feel the effects, but as with everything, some people might be more sensitive to it than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,176 ✭✭✭✭km79

wonski wrote: »
    Not sure if all of you are aware, but bottled water has been recalled due to elevated arsenic levels. Not just Aldi, it is becoming worldwide issue now anyway.

https://www.fsai.ie/news_centre/food_alerts/bottled_water_recall.html

From what I was told you really would have to drink a pallet of water to feel the effects, but as with everything, some people might be more sensitive to it than others.
    Only certain batches
    I went in last night and first person hadn’t a clue what I was talking about
    I asked for the manager and he said all the affected batches had already been removed
    He exchanged the ones I had bought earlier in week even though they were not in the affected batches

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭obi604

The water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Why are all the brands called, are they all bottled by the same company

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

goat2 wrote: »
    Why are all the brands called, are they all bottled by the same company

Aldis one is called Comeragh Water, not sure of names in the other supermarkets. And yes they seem to be all bottled by the same company, Celtic Pure in Monaghan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yellowman honeycomb ice-cream is delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

People buying bottled water in 2019 need to be checked in to John of Gods

• Registered Users Posts: 48,176 ✭✭✭✭km79

The Nal wrote: »

We can’t drink the tap water here so what do you suggest ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

The Nal wrote: »

I've been buying bottled water since I became ill with Cryptosporidium in 2007. Never again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I've been buying bottled water since I became ill with Cryptosporidium in 2007. Never again!

I got a nasty dose of Crypto in 2007 as well, thanks to Galway's tap water! We're back to tap water from a Brita jug now though, trying to reduce our plastic usage. If we buy bottled we only buy Volvic...

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Oh and I have an anti-recommendation: Aldi's ready-to-eat mash. The texture is claggy and it doesn't taste nice at all. Of course you can't beat home made mash, but the Marks and Spencer mash is actually quite nice, miles ahead of the Aldi one.

Bought a pack of thigh fillets on Saturday, took them out of the fridge this morning with the intention of doing something with them this evening, (a curry or salad) and they have a use by the 3rd date. :mad:

Now seeing as Saturday was the third, I'm wondering if I should go back with them and see if they'll change them.

Don't get me wrong, I know the onus is on me to check the dates of things, but surely when you buy chicken you should be able to have it in the fridge for a few days without it going off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Now seeing as Saturday was the third, I'm wondering if I should go back with them and see if they'll change them.
    I would do the same as what I would do if I got meat from the butcher with no dates on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭lalababa

Bought a pack of thigh fillets on Saturday, took them out of the fridge this morning with the intention of doing something with them this evening, (a curry or salad) and they have a use by the 3rd date. :mad:

Don't get me wrong, I know the onus is on me to check the dates of things, but surely when you buy chicken you should be able to have it in the fridge for a few days without it going off.
    If they don't smell and you cook them well, then they'll be grand. You can't return them!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,906 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Of course you can return them, I do it all the time if something seems a bit dodge, they dont ask questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I'm not being rude but I don't get this? You bought meat dated the 3rd on the 3rd and when you opened it on the 5th, it smelled off. I would think that's exactly as expected to happen?

yellow hen wrote: »
    I'm not being rude but I don't get this?

Funny you should say this, because I don't get how you would post this, assuming you seen this part of my post.
    You bought meat dated the 3rd on the 3rd and when you opened it on the 5th, it smelled off. I would think that's exactly as expected to happen?
    Yeah I bought meat with a use by (not best before) date that was dated the day I bought it, silly me, I chucked it in the fridge on Saturday with a view to cook it today.

Only when I got it from the fridge today is when I noticed the date, and as it smelt fairly off I contemplated returning it to Aldi, but ultimately (after opening the packet and smelling how rank it was) tied it in a plastic bag and slung it in the wheelie bin.

Am I wrong for assuming that meat bought in a shop didn't necessarily have to be eaten on the same day it was bought now, is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Funny you should say this, because I don't get how you would post this, assuming you seen this part of my post.

Yeah I bought meat with a use by (not best before) date that was dated the day I bought it, silly me, I chucked it in the fridge on Saturday with a view to cook it today.

Only when I got it from the fridge today is when I noticed the date, and as it smelt fairly off I contemplated returning it to Aldi, but ultimately (after opening the packet and smelling how rank it was) tied it in a plastic bag and slung it in the wheelie bin.

Am I wrong for assuming that meat bought in a shop didn't necessarily have to be eaten on the same day it was bought now, is that it?

Thank you but I did indeed read all of your post. The bit I didn't get which you have clearly explained above is that you expected meat to last 2 days beyond it's use by (not best before) date. The purchase date is really irrelevant assuming aldi stored it correctly as did you. I wasnt being smart, I genuinely just wouldn't expect meat to last beyond the printed date. Sometimes it does but I find that more often than not it doesn't.

• Advertisement

yellow hen wrote: »
    Thank you but I did indeed read all of your post. The bit I didn't get which you have clearly explained above is that you expected meat to last 2 days beyond it's use by (not best before) date. The purchase date is really irrelevant assuming aldi stored it correctly as did you. I wasnt being smart, I genuinely just wouldn't expect meat to last beyond the printed date. Sometimes it does but I find that more often than not it doesn't.

Ah fair enough, no long story short, I bought the meat on the same day it was supposed to be used by unknowingly.

Didn't check the date, but normally Aldi do be selling the short dated stuff off at half price etc, this wasn't like that, and the bigger kick to me was I actually had the full thighs (not filleted) in my trolley and replaced them with the filleted ones. No doubt the unfillited ones were probably dated to mid week of this week. :mad:

Oh well, you live and learn.

Advertisement